Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

    Hearing a possible suitor for Jason Hayward - SF, but it’s a steep price. Cubs would get Samardija and Melancon in return. Sounds like a junk bond deal.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

  • #2
    Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

    Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
    Hearing a possible suitor for Jason Hayward - SF, but it’s a steep price. Cubs would get Samardija and Melancon in return. Sounds like a junk bond deal.
    Yu Darvish will not be a Dodger next season.

    I'm smarter than you. By a wide margin. You know it's true too is the funny thing about our interactions.----JaveyBaezBum


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

      The Nats hired Dave Martinez as their 18th manager in franchise history.

      The list of failed Washington managers seems endless: Felipe Alou, Jeff Torborg, Frank Robinson, Manny Acta, Jim Riggleman, an old Davey Johnson, Matt Williams and of course Dusty Baker.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

        Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
        Hearing a possible suitor for Jason Hayward - SF, but it’s a steep price. Cubs would get Samardija and Melancon in return. Sounds like a junk bond deal.
        What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

          Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
          What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.
          You finally realizing that rain delay speeches and being a good clubhouse guy don't help you win baseball games?
          I'm smarter than you. By a wide margin. You know it's true too is the funny thing about our interactions.----JaveyBaezBum


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

            The Marlins are about to hold yet another fire sale. Stanton, Prado, and Gordon are all available. Right now they plan on hanging onto Ozuna and Yelich, but anything is possible with them
            All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

              Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
              What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.
              Junk for Junk....
              Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.
                Bruce Levine was talking about it on the Score 670today, so it’s a creditable source. He made it sound like a trade of taking on up-front money vs long-term. I’m guessing this came from SF.
                Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                -

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                  Originally posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
                  Junk for Junk....
                  Samardzija's 3.61 FIP last year suggests he would benefit greatly from going back to pitching in front of a competent defense. In fact... rebuilding Cubs, A's, White Sox, tanking Giants by accident, it's arguable he's never pitched in front of a competent defense.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                    I expect Stanton to be a Dodger next year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                      Originally posted by rico1 View Post
                      I expect Stanton to be a Dodger next year.
                      I've been saying this for the past two years
                      All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                        Originally posted by kane View Post
                        The Marlins are about to hold yet another fire sale. Stanton, Prado, and Gordon are all available. Right now they plan on hanging onto Ozuna and Yelich, but anything is possible with them
                        Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.
                        Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                        -

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                          Originally posted by rico1 View Post
                          I expect Stanton to be a Dodger next year.
                          He will be in Philly next year followed by Trout the following year....
                          Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                            Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                            What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.
                            good to see Javy finally accepts what everybody has known for a very long time.....Heyward contract was terrible.
                            Javy knows baseball, no doubt about that.
                            cant imagine what the Giants see there unless the Cubs eat a ton of that big salary.
                            Don't wake up in a roadside ditch

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                              Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
                              Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.
                              During Jeter's first press conference he announced they were cutting payroll, going from 140M to 90M, the only way to accomplish that is by moving Stanton. It's bad enough they'll trade him, but now that other teams know the Marlins want to cut payroll, they won't even get back equal value, not that they would anyway, but other teams will now low ball them knowing Stanton has to be moved. And the shit show continues with them, at some point in the future I expect Yelich and Ozuna to be gone as well, I imagine there would be a lot of interest in either of those two guys. Throw Stanton in a lineup with Turner, Seager and Bellnger, wow. Another team to maybe watch for would be the Cubs, I don't know what Theo is thinking, and I know they need pitching more than hitting, but the Cubs have the type of cheap young talent that the Marlins would be looking for (Schwarber, Happ, etc). Stanton, Rizzo, Bryant is pretty impressive. So much fun being a Marlins fan, first they gave away Miggy for nothing, now it will be Stanton, I can only hope whatever they get in return works out, but knowing them, it won't
                              All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
                                Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.
                                Could see the Cubs going for him...
                                Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                  Originally posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
                                  Could see the Cubs going for him...
                                  I know the Phillies are in love with Yelich, I don't think he's on the block right now, and I don't know if Miami would trade within the division, but at some point if Yelich ends up in Philly, remember where you heard it first
                                  All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                    Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                    Samardzija's 3.61 FIP last year suggests he would benefit greatly from going back to pitching in front of a competent defense. In fact... rebuilding Cubs, A's, White Sox, tanking Giants by accident, it's arguable he's never pitched in front of a competent defense.
                                    Samardzija had one of the best strikeout/walk ratios in MLB last year. But he also can get too much of the plate. But I'd still make that trade. Melancon off one bad year could be worth a roll of the dice. If Heyward was off just one bad year, it would be one thing. But a corner OF has to hit better than that. SF is desperate for offense so hard to understand why they would target Heyward. Only rationale is RF in AT & T is really big and he can cover a lot more ground than Pence (when Pence actually plays).

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                      Benintendi as a Cub? Got a feeling Theo will make it happen.
                                      The art of learning is learning who to ignore ~LeAnn Rimes

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                        Originally posted by Heim View Post
                                        Benintendi as a Cub? Got a feeling Theo will make it happen.
                                        It's gonna take a lot to get him, and why would the Sox trade him?
                                        All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                          Originally posted by Heim View Post
                                          Benintendi as a Cub? Got a feeling Theo will make it happen.
                                          There's almost no shot Boston trades him.
                                          The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                            Originally posted by richsox24 View Post
                                            There's almost no shot Boston trades him.
                                            Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

                                            I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                              Originally posted by richsox24 View Post
                                              There's almost no shot Boston trades him.
                                              Correct-they have him under a cheap contract for quite a few years

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

                                                I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.
                                                I guess if you take away that:

                                                Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

                                                Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

                                                Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

                                                Than yeah I guess your argument works.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                  Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                                  I guess if you take away that:

                                                  Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

                                                  Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

                                                  Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

                                                  Than yeah I guess your argument works.
                                                  Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

                                                  And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

                                                  Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

                                                  That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                    If Theo plans on offering Bryce a mega deal next year then he absolutely will move Schwarber for someone like Benitendi since there would be no shortage of power with Harper and Bryant and Rizzo.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                      I don’t want Bryce Harper.
                                                      Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                                      -

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                        Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
                                                        I don’t want Bryce Harper.
                                                        how could you not

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                          Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                          Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

                                                          And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

                                                          Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

                                                          That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.
                                                          Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                            Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                                            Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy
                                                            wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

                                                            from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

                                                            owned

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                              Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                              how could you not
                                                              400+ million dollars. Seems you haven't paid attention to how mega contracts have worked out as a whole.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                                                400+ million dollars. Seems you haven't paid attention to how mega contracts have worked out as a whole.
                                                                lol yeah I'm sure there's no difference between signing a 26 year old Bryce Harper and a 34 year old Albert Pujols or Miguel Cabrera

                                                                do you even think before you speak

                                                                How's Kershaw's deal looking for example?

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                  The thought that the Red Sox would trade Benintendi for Schwarber is too dumb to even discuss, Dombrowski isn't that stupid
                                                                  All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                    Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                                    lol yeah I'm sure there's no difference between signing a 26 year old Bryce Harper and a 34 year old Albert Pujols or Miguel Cabrera

                                                                    do you even think before you speak

                                                                    How's Kershaw's deal looking for example?
                                                                    Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                      Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                                                      Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL
                                                                      Wrong again, I wanted another player over Heyward (who didn’t even work out)

                                                                      But if lying to yourself to feel better is all you have, enjoy it. Pretty pathetic

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                        Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                                        how could you not
                                                                        Signing megacontracts never really works out. Are the Cubs going to sign Bryant, Rizzo, and Harper to megadeals? What about the others when it’s time to get paid? There is a lot of protection in the Nats order and his numbers are good, not great. What about egos?
                                                                        Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                                                        -

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                          Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                                          wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

                                                                          from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

                                                                          owned
                                                                          This is the first I'm hearing of this.


                                                                          No wait a minute it's probably the 100th or more.
                                                                          I'm smarter than you. By a wide margin. You know it's true too is the funny thing about our interactions.----JaveyBaezBum


                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                            Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                                                            Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL
                                                                            JavyBaez9

                                                                            Timely is my bitchJoin DateAug 24, 2014Posts16,800

                                                                            Re: Jason Heyward v. Yoenis Cespedes


                                                                            Originally Posted by Ronaldo
                                                                            I don't disagree. But I do think most reasonable Cub fans would agree Theo's track record with big FA contracts is questionable. His other areas of franchise development have been very good.



                                                                            A contract should be measured at the time of the deal. You could sign a good deal that becomes a bad one due to no fault of your own.

                                                                            The Heyward deal was a good one. Not many educated baseball opinions would disagree.


                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                              Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                                              Wrong again, I wanted another player over Heyward (who didn’t even work out)

                                                                              But if lying to yourself to feel better is all you have, enjoy it. Pretty pathetic

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

                                                                                someone said it earlier...swarber to the redsox...... I could see it happening ....redsox zero power.

                                                                                Comment

                                                                                Working...
                                                                                X