Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
    Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.
    Could see the Cubs going for him...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
      Could see the Cubs going for him...
      I know the Phillies are in love with Yelich, I don't think he's on the block right now, and I don't know if Miami would trade within the division, but at some point if Yelich ends up in Philly, remember where you heard it first
      All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

Comment

Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
        Samardzija's 3.61 FIP last year suggests he would benefit greatly from going back to pitching in front of a competent defense. In fact... rebuilding Cubs, A's, White Sox, tanking Giants by accident, it's arguable he's never pitched in front of a competent defense.
        Samardzija had one of the best strikeout/walk ratios in MLB last year. But he also can get too much of the plate. But I'd still make that trade. Melancon off one bad year could be worth a roll of the dice. If Heyward was off just one bad year, it would be one thing. But a corner OF has to hit better than that. SF is desperate for offense so hard to understand why they would target Heyward. Only rationale is RF in AT & T is really big and he can cover a lot more ground than Pence (when Pence actually plays).

Comment

Benintendi as a Cub? Got a feeling Theo will make it happen.
          The art of learning is learning who to ignore ~LeAnn Rimes

Comment

Originally posted by Heim View Post
            It's gonna take a lot to get him, and why would the Sox trade him?
            All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

Comment

Originally posted by Heim View Post
              There's almost no shot Boston trades him.
              The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Comment

Originally posted by richsox24 View Post
                Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.

Comment

Originally posted by richsox24 View Post
                  Correct-they have him under a cheap contract for quite a few years

Comment

Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.
                    I guess if you take away that:

Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

Than yeah I guess your argument works.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                      I guess if you take away that:

Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

Than yeah I guess your argument works.
                      Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.

Comment

If Theo plans on offering Bryce a mega deal next year then he absolutely will move Schwarber for someone like Benitendi since there would be no shortage of power with Harper and Bryant and Rizzo.

Comment

I don’t want Bryce Harper.
                          Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by FairWarning View Post
                            I don’t want Bryce Harper.
                            how could you not

Comment

Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.
                              Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                                Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy
                                wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

owned

Comment

Working...
                                X