Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

    No NFL, NBA or NHL.

    Only the not very good Padres in a pretty big city.

  • #2
    Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

    shortage of land for new buildings, bad owners

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

      What's the political breakdown of san diego? I've only been a couple times, didn't strike me as obnoxiously liberal like other big CA cities, but can't imagine it's conservative either.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

        Went to a Bears game out there years ago..eating after the game more than a few asked who won the game...they apparently didn't care enough to watch it

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

          libs and illegals

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

            To close to international border. A half circle of potential customers and fanbase to follow team.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

              TV deals could be smaller, maybe could not get funding for the stadium from the city.... other cities give away the farm with tax breaks & promising low paying jobs.... who ever bites with the highest bid the owners go there. Stadium name rights are another big thing .... make a deal. Can't blame the owners .... Sports betting case kicks off tomorrow.... the will be the owners heaven in the end

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                Whooping 25k today in Carson, and they think the trashy city of Inglewood with a new stadium will change that..................

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                  my sister just went there loved the bars and scenery but she had never seen the huge amount of homeless, every bar she left there were panhandlers they just built a tent to house all the homeless after the hepatitis a outbreak.

                  Probably like florida , transient population that never really gets into their new towns teams.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                    Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                    What's the political breakdown of san diego? I've only been a couple times, didn't strike me as obnoxiously liberal like other big CA cities, but can't imagine it's conservative either.
                    San Diego is very conservative and military oriented. A bit chilly and damp near the beach but never cold. Go inland you hit warn/hot desert very quickly, Enjoyable climate leads to outdoor activities that detract from spectator attendance. LA more liberal but fans there particularly passionate either. LA more of a seen and be seen crowd that really likes Dodgers and Lakers when good.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                      Because of where they are located

                      To the South: Mexico
                      To the West: Pacific Ocean
                      To the East: Nothing - or Arizona
                      To the North Orange/LA County and almost no on here cares about SD sports when we have a zillion teams here to support
                      The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                        Originally posted by cheapseats View Post
                        Whooping 25k today in Carson, and they think the trashy city of Inglewood with a new stadium will change that..................

                        And that's with the Chargers playing well, winners in six of their last eight games.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                          Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
                          And that's with the Chargers playing well, winners in six of their last eight games.
                          They have not beat a team yet with a winning record

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                            Originally posted by cheapseats View Post
                            Whooping 25k today in Carson, and they think the trashy city of Inglewood with a new stadium will change that..................
                            Wait until December 31. New Year’s Eve when the Raiders play there. It will be about 80-20 as far as Raiders/Chargers fans. The game will resemble “Escape from New York” in the stands. IT WILL BE AWESOME! That place will sound like a Raiders home game.

                            They will do better in the LA Stadium because ticket prices will be lower. Now it is $200+ to get in and for the Raiders – probably 2x that. They are ignored here because NO ONE CARES!
                            The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports ?

                              Originally posted by focker View Post
                              They have not beat a team yet with a winning record

                              Good point.

                              Interestingly, no team in the AFC West currently sports a winning record.

                              Say hello to your gorgeous ladies, Focker.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                Not many of us San Diego natives left. Avg home price almost $600K. People who can afford it leave their old city to live in 365 days of sun but continue to cheer for the team of where they are from. In many US cities there is nothing to do in the winter but go to the game. Here we have ocean, beaches, deserts, mountains and tons of things to do. People here are active. Clippers left when I was a kid. Chargers left because their stadium here is a dump

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                  Every situation different. Arthur Blank put 200million of his own money in new Atlanta stadium (1 billion). I can not get use to LA chargers, does not sound right. Seems like team belongs in SD.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                    Originally posted by unluckysob View Post
                                    Every situation different. Arthur Blank put 200million of his own money in new Atlanta stadium (1 billion). I can not get use to LA chargers, does not sound right. Seems like team belongs in SD.
                                    It does, or southern Orange County.
                                    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                    -

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                      Every time I see LAC as an abbreviation in the sports world, I think "Los Angeles Clippers."

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                        Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
                                        Every time I see LAC as an abbreviation in the sports world, I think "Los Angeles Clippers."
                                        Same here.

                                        It took a long time for SD to get Petco built. Just can’t see a NFL stadium ever getting built in the foreseeable future.
                                        Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                        -

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                          Petco is a downgrade from qualcomm, qualcomm was fun, petco is parking and traff8c nightmare

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                            Originally posted by railbird View Post
                                            Petco is a downgrade from qualcomm, qualcomm was fun, petco is parking and traff8c nightmare
                                            Never been to petco but the Q was very easy to get to, great parking also.
                                            Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                            -

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                              Moving the chargers to LA has set the city on fire. Amazing to see the response

                                              nfl season 2017 - Feel the Heat

                                              Attached Files

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                Leave the pro teams to the teams that get snow and cold weather. What do they have to do on a cold and sunday day? They go to bar and watch game. In Calif, they go to beach and amusement parks all year round. When its 80 degrees in Calif, the last thing fans want to do is sit at a football game? There are 118 beach cities and people could care less about football!!!

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                  Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
                                                  What's the political breakdown of san diego? I've only been a couple times, didn't strike me as obnoxiously liberal like other big CA cities, but can't imagine it's conservative either.
                                                  The city is getting liberal, the County tends to be conservative. IMO Chargers have access to better resouces in LA. Players want to live in LA. More private fundraising, more choice in facilities.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                    Originally posted by focker View Post
                                                    They have not beat a team yet with a winning record
                                                    Fading Chargers in playoff or crucial win game against Caliber opponent could be a play.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                      Originally posted by brockboogienigh View Post
                                                      my sister just went there loved the bars and scenery but she had never seen the huge amount of homeless, every bar she left there were panhandlers they just built a tent to house all the homeless after the hepatitis a outbreak.

                                                      Probably like florida , transient population that never really gets into their new towns teams.
                                                      It’s like that in all coastal cities, especially the nice ones. Santa Barbara same thing.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                        Originally posted by winkyduck View Post
                                                        Wait until December 31. New Year’s Eve when the Raiders play there. It will be about 80-20 as far as Raiders/Chargers fans. The game will resemble “Escape from New York” in the stands. IT WILL BE AWESOME! That place will sound like a Raiders home game.

                                                        They will do better in the LA Stadium because ticket prices will be lower. Now it is $200+ to get in and for the Raiders – probably 2x that. They are ignored here because NO ONE CARES!
                                                        When I go to dodger games at petco it trips me out that 80/90% of the fans are dodger fans. Every time .

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                          Originally posted by railbird View Post
                                                          Petco is a downgrade from qualcomm, qualcomm was fun, petco is parking and traff8c nightmare
                                                          This is not accurate. Petco very easy to get in and out and is not a traffic nightmare. Not sure why you’re saying this.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                            Petco is easy to park at. Downtown parking lots make it easy to park, head to bars and restaurants then walk to stadium.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                              Originally posted by waco View Post
                                                              Leave the pro teams to the teams that get snow and cold weather. What do they have to do on a cold and sunday day? They go to bar and watch game. In Calif, they go to beach and amusement parks all year round. When its 80 degrees in Calif, the last thing fans want to do is sit at a football game? There are 118 beach cities and people could care less about football!!!
                                                              I dont always agree with that statement that there is too much else to do, los angels dodgers have great attendance, Yankees may not be in a beach town but there is a hell alot more to do in nyc than san diego and the yanks get great attendance. The beach isnt even that great in san Diego, the water is freezing most of the year.

                                                              I just think its like a beach town like tampa maybe , a transient population with few roots in the local area.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                Originally posted by railbird View Post
                                                                Petco is a downgrade from qualcomm, qualcomm was fun, petco is parking and traff8c nightmare


                                                                More trolling from Birdie. Petco is great. Location great. Parking not an issue. Plenty of lots. Or take one of the trains. Have done that many times with no issue.

                                                                Great restaurants around Petco too.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                  Originally posted by Doug View Post
                                                                  No NFL, NBA or NHL.

                                                                  Only the not very good Padres in a pretty big city.
                                                                  plaids and fish tacos

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                    You can get in a Dodger game for $10. You cant sniff a bag of chips for $10 at a football game. Plus, check out the dodger fans. They leave in the 7th inning whether its a close game or not to beat the traffic. And they count tickets sold not people in seats. You can subtract 20,000

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                      Is SD worse than Atlanta or Miami? It wasn’t like the Chargers didn’t draw.
                                                                      Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                                                                      -

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                        Visiting teams had more fans than Charger fans. It was a vacation for the fans!!! I get the MLB baseball package too The stadiums are EMPTY!!

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                          Chargers are not spending money marketing the team that plays in a stadium that seats 25K. Wait to they start playing in the new stadium and the organization will spend the marketing money to fill the seats.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                            Originally posted by O'Royken View Post
                                                                            Chargers are not spending money marketing the team that plays in a stadium that seats 25K. Wait to they start playing in the new stadium and the organization will spend the marketing money to fill the seats.
                                                                            Best marketing plan is make it to a playoff game.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Re: Why is San Diego such a bad city for pro sports?

                                                                              Philip rivers has been one of the top 5-7 quarterbacks in football for years but spends his career where no one comes to see him play and never goes to the playoffs? He is 36, I wish the jaguars would have added him or manning. River deserved more than end his career in a LA stadium with no one attending the games, the browns still get twice as many people attending games than the chargers!

                                                                              Comment

                                                                              Working...
                                                                              X