Attended a seminar last night on "Organizing your papers"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attended a seminar last night on "Organizing your papers"

Ninety-minute seminar should have lasted 10-15 minutes.

Speaker did not believe in the concept of smart brevity.

Organizational expert was too wordy but she did offer a few pieces of excellent advice.

Here are the nuggets:

1) You cannot organize other people without their permission.

2) Never touch a piece of paper twice. Touch it only once and deal with it.

3) Biggest time-waster when organizing: Decision-making or "What to do with that paper?"

4) There are three types of paper: active, passive and archival.

5) Information expires. Journals and manuals from 10-15 years ago become obsolete or outdated.

6) There's a place for everything and everything has a place.

7) Embrace "Done"

8) Discard old copies of "The Gold Sheet" (Just checking to see if you're reading every nugget)

Re: Attended a seminar last night on "Organizing your papers"

That’s why I get the gold sheet online, no clutter.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Comment

I found some 2002 gold sheets in my golf bag the other day.

Comment

I got people for that
        How you better than somebody? Cuz you said so? Naw man, don't work that way. Sun shine on everybody ass just the same. Get up off your chair and get some.

Captain Old Earl Johnson Natchez Miss.

Comment

I start a new baseball notebook every year to keep up with pitchers. All hand written. I put so much work in it, I hate to throw it away. probably 5 years worth.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
            Ninety-minute seminar should have lasted 10-15 minutes.

Speaker did not believe in the concept of smart brevity.

Organizational expert was too wordy but she did offer a few pieces of excellent advice.

Here are the nuggets:

1) You cannot organize other people without their permission.

2) Never touch a piece of paper twice. Touch it only once and deal with it.

3) Biggest time-waster when organizing: Decision-making or "What to do with that paper?"

4) There are three types of paper: active, passive and archival.

5) Information expires. Journals and manuals from 10-15 years ago become obsolete or outdated.

6) There's a place for everything and everything has a place.

7) Embrace "Done"

8) Discard old copies of "The Gold Sheet" (Just checking to see if you're reading every nugget)
            Would have loved to have attended this as well JK. CAn you elaborate more on the 1st 4 a bit.

Comment

Rolling papers?

Comment

What was the average age of those in attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by unluckysob View Post
                  I start a new baseball notebook every year to keep up with pitchers. All hand written. I put so much work in it, I hate to throw it away. probably 5 years worth.
                  Isn't it easier to do this in Excel or in a database? You can quickly search things, player gets traded you just reassign and voila? You can store it on the clould or carry it all in your phone/tablet rather than filling your backpack with it
                  If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

Comment

just take a photo of the note/paper using your phone...store it any way you want.. the photo can be turned into word or excel also. Store an important audio or video.

Comment

Originally posted by Brayden11 View Post
                      What was the average age of those in attendance?
                      At 54, I was the youngest person in the audience of seven.

Free library event.

Comment

Free library event.
                        I figured as much. I got you by a few years and have friends who still rely on paper. I still like reading and actual newspaper but organizing my personal files are done electronically. Did you have to flash your aarp card to gain entry into the event for free?

Comment

I guess every once in a while it pays to be a pack rat. When I look over the last ten years of paper? Speaking of the insurance business and prospecting. Some of it is timing - some technique - some skill.

But, back to sports - hard to identify the difference between the bets we won because of skill and those we were actually lucky on and vice versa. Other than consistency points out the skill factor.

My congrats on researching a healthy idea. There is always more to learn. A handicapper is like a man on an island. There is no supervisor that can say - there is a better way to do some of these things.

Comment

libraries are +EV

Comment

Number 2 is some good advice.

Comment

When I exclusively used a local, I kept every weeks sheet with notes. The local always put out color sheets to differentiate weeks. Had them for 8 to 10 years. Tossed them more as a desire to end an era of a different life.

Comment

I am also familiar with #2.

I have also read that top achievers in life always start their work making written lists versus performing daily or weekly tasks from memory alone.

Also, it is much more likely that you will achieve your personal goals if they are written down on paper first.

Comment

Free library event.
                                    lol

Comment

Free library event.
                                      lots of free library events at Huntington Beach library, I haven't seen a better library anywhere. Marcia Clark did a book promotion there recently

Comment

you can see the high schoolers suck face on bottom floor, which they cant do at parents house. nice and quiet, indoor fish ponds, glass walls with a view of central park

Comment

#3 spoke to me

Comment

Originally posted by trytrytry View Post
                                            libraries are +EV

very true.. law books are there too.

Comment

And free classes. Near me its everything from Excel, Windows 10, tech stuff and so on.

Certainly +EV.

Comment

My feedback to the nuggets, some tongue in cheek:

1) You cannot organize other people without their permission. Obviously wrong, the prison system and military seem to have very little problem organizing people regardless of their permission.

2) Never touch a piece of paper twice. Touch it only once and deal with it. Obviously wrong, so you only touch your birth certificate once in your life? Also your driver's license is just glorified paper, I use it for ID at least once a week. Optimally, don't use paper at all.

3) Biggest time-waster when organizing: Decision-making or "What to do with that paper?" Probably true, but an "organizing your papers" course seems to also be a big time waster.

4) There are three types of paper: active, passive and archival. How about toilet paper? Passive on the roll, then active, then disposable (hopefully not archival)?

5) Information expires. Journals and manuals from 10-15 years ago become obsolete or outdated. Most basic engineering mechanics courses still use Newton's laws, information and examples from over 300 years ago.

6) There's a place for everything and everything has a place. How trite.

7) Embrace "Done" Ok with this.

8) Discard old copies of "The Gold Sheet" (Just checking to see if you're reading every nugget) Never bought the Yellow sheet, the White Technical Report Sheet was useful until Internet info was available around the late 90's.

Comment

paper - Living in the past - Jethro Tull

Comment

rule #33 Recycle

Comment

Originally posted by ComptrBob View Post
                                                      My feedback to the nuggets, some tongue in cheek:

1) You cannot organize other people without their permission. Obviously wrong, the prison system and military seem to have very little problem organizing people regardless of their permission.

2) Never touch a piece of paper twice. Touch it only once and deal with it. Obviously wrong, so you only touch your birth certificate once in your life? Also your driver's license is just glorified paper, I use it for ID at least once a week. Optimally, don't use paper at all.

3) Biggest time-waster when organizing: Decision-making or "What to do with that paper?" Probably true, but an "organizing your papers" course seems to also be a big time waster.

4) There are three types of paper: active, passive and archival. How about toilet paper? Passive on the roll, then active, then disposable (hopefully not archival)?

5) Information expires. Journals and manuals from 10-15 years ago become obsolete or outdated. Most basic engineering mechanics courses still use Newton's laws, information and examples from over 300 years ago.

6) There's a place for everything and everything has a place. How trite.

7) Embrace "Done" Ok with this.

8) Discard old copies of "The Gold Sheet" (Just checking to see if you're reading every nugget) Never bought the Yellow sheet, the White Technical Report Sheet was useful until Internet info was available around the late 90's.

Nicely DONE, Bob.

Comment

John, when you back in Vegas?

Comment

Originally posted by billysink View Post
                                                          I got people for that
                                                          like who, mom...

Comment

Originally posted by alfie View Post
                                                            like who, mom...
                                                            Runner has threatened so many posters, cried snowflake Alfie! Wah, Wah, Wah!

Runner's sister is a lesbo, lied snowflake Alfie.

Florida is in Miami, cried dumbshit Alfie Wah, Wah, Wah.
                                                            "its time to start killing journalist" Mr. Merlin. 07-02-17

Comment

like who, mom...
                                                              kid that's really weak

how the fukk I'm gonna give a fukk about that?
                                                              How you better than somebody? Cuz you said so? Naw man, don't work that way. Sun shine on everybody ass just the same. Get up off your chair and get some.

Captain Old Earl Johnson Natchez Miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrunner View Post
                                                                Runner has threatened so many posters, cried snowflake Alfie! Wah, Wah, Wah!

Runner's sister is a lesbo, lied snowflake Alfie.

Florida is in Miami, cried dumbshit Alfie Wah, Wah, Wah.
                                                                ah, the parrot is up............you handicapping games or you still owe and cut off...broke dick stiff..

you find those Russians yet?

Comment

ah, the parrot is up............you handicapping games or you still owe and cut off...broke dick stiff..

you find those Russians yet?
                                                                  Alfie, you ever find shit in your hole? I heard your mentor was talking about shit in his holes? Must be a Trumptard thing?

Comment

Alfie, you ever find shit in your hole? I heard your mentor was talking about shit in his holes? Must be a Trumptard thing?
                                                                    you definitely qualify as one of the shitholes....

Comment

Another thread going to shit...

Comment

you definitely qualify as one of the shitholes....
                                                                        Snowflake Alfie on tilt! See the horse challenge thread. The volume of your posts would make one think you're the contestant. 4 of last 5 posts are by Alfie. Including 3 in a row.

Recently Alfie cried "Runner is threatening so many posters". Wah,wah,wah! Snowflake you're so easy to tilt. Bing, bing, Bing, Bing!

Comment

Snowflake Alfie on tilt! See the horse challenge thread. The volume of your posts would make one think you're the contestant. 4 of last 5 posts are by Alfie. Including 3 in a row.

Recently Alfie cried "Runner is threatening so many posters". Wah,wah,wah! Snowflake you're so easy to tilt. Bing, bing, Bing, Bing!
                                                                          this is tilt.......

Hilary to place.......

Comment

Working...
                                                                          X