Cubs sign Yu Darvish to long term deal LOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cubs sign Yu Darvish to long term deal LOL

Cubs are losing a pretty healthy chunk of their conservative crew this year in Arrieta and Lackey.

The only one left to listen to country, drink beer, and eat some fried chicken is Jon Lester, god bless him.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
      Six different pitches? Geez, I didn't even know that many existed, LOL.

I agree with you though, overkill. I think 3 or 4 pitches is going to get the job done.

Change speed, location, throw them for strikes (on any count) and you got enough to get hitters out.

Fastball, change-up (bigger the difference in speed from fastball the better) and something that moves.

Basically a 3-4 pitch guy depending on batter handedness, in last years WS

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcom...FS|SB&b_hand=R

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcom...FS|SB&b_hand=L
      How you better than somebody? Cuz you said so? Naw man, don't work that way. Sun shine on everybody ass just the same. Get up off your chair and get some.

Captain Old Earl Johnson Natchez Miss.

Comment

Obsessing over 3.1 innings is so dumb in hind sight. It was a big deal for the Dodgers, but it is not a big deal for him or his future team.

Comment

Originally posted by billysink View Post
          Basically a 3-4 pitch guy depending on batter handedness, in last years WS

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcom...FS|SB&b_hand=R

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcom...FS|SB&b_hand=L

Nice, good stuff Sink.

Hardest pitch for me to hit (and thankfully one the Rays staff used to really work at developing) was the change.....

If Rays could only throw one pitch in addition to the fastball it would be a change. IMO it's the most effective 2nd a pitcher can have......

Comment

Originally posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
            Cubs are losing a pretty healthy chunk of their conservative crew this year in Arrieta and Lackey.

The only one left to listen to country, drink beer, and eat some fried chicken is Jon Lester, god bless him.
            I wouldn't read much into it. Lackey is at the end of the line; Theo knows it, we know it, and Lackey himself probably knows it. But he (Theo) did go all out to sign Lester. The non-signing of Arrieta could just be Boras being the asshole that he is.

Comment

sudden changes in pitch repertoire are a better indication of discomfort than velocity
              How you better than somebody? Cuz you said so? Naw man, don't work that way. Sun shine on everybody ass just the same. Get up off your chair and get some.

Comment

sudden changes in pitch repertoire are a better indication of discomfort than velocity

Yep, big changes in repertoire could very well be linked to discomfort......

And/or scouting reports as well.

Comment

Or it could mean the pitcher's primary pitches don't match up well with the opponent hitter's strength.

Comment

ha,

I couldn't pick up the spin on a breaking ball.

Change is a killer as long as you have 6-7 MPH separation from 4 seam.

Comment

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking as well on tendencies. Lot of variables....

Perhaps even park dimensions can play a role in a pitcher getting away from what his normal pitch distribution would be.

Certainly situational.

I think the best pitchers don't have a favorite pitch they go to........at this level they're going to eat you up if they know what's coming.

Anyway, I'm getting off point here, it's the booze, LOL.

Heading out for another couple of beers. Enjoyed the information men, starting to look forward to spring training.

Comment

They used to throw tennis balls (curves with lot of spin) to us with numbers written on them, we would have to identify what it was.

I was never very good at it, I sat on the fastball every pitch, only one I could hit, LOL.

BTW Sink when you come to Tampa send me a heads up brother, we will look for Bater together.

Comment

Originally posted by Valuist View Post
                          Or it could mean the pitcher's primary pitches don't match up well with the opponent hitter's strength.
                          For 21 million the pitcher better be the boss.

Darvish raw pitch count totals month over month are erratic. He has completely abandoned the split and slow curve since his elite seasons. Nastiest yakker I've ever seen too.

Comment

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking as well on tendencies. Lot of variables....

Perhaps even park dimensions can play a role in a pitcher getting away from what his normal pitch distribution would be.

Certainly situational.

I think the best pitchers don't have a favorite pitch they go to........at this level they're going to eat you up if they know what's coming.

Anyway, I'm getting off point here, it's the booze, LOL.

Heading out for another couple of beers. Enjoyed the information men, starting to look forward to spring training.
                            He's doing what all high mileage guys do, Sabathia etc. Moving to high usage of the cutter. Easier on the body.

Comment

They used to throw tennis balls to us with numbers written on them, we would have to identify what it was.

I was never very good at it, I sat on the fastball every pitch, only one I could hit.

BTW Sink when you come to Tampa send me a heads up brother.

for sure, maybe that way late April USF area

Comment

for sure, maybe that way late April USF area
                                I know the area well.

Now I live about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic but I'll definitely make the trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X