Another NBA head-scratcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another NBA head-scratcher

Like I've been saying, Boston is the better team. Other than Lebron they're better at every position, they play elite defense, Cleveland's defense was ranked 29th, they're better coached, they're younger and more athletic, they play together like a team, Cleveland is too reliant on one guy, take LeBron off that team and they win 25 games. LeBron goes for 42-10-12, and they lose by double digits, Cleveland's backcourt gets outscored 41-3, I'm not counting Cleveland out since they still have LeBron, but it's obvious which is the better team
    All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

Comment

Not only better all around team...They have people that are playing hard.

Name 1 person that would go for a 50/50 ball on the Cavs? Maybe Tristan Thompson? Maybe?
      Everyone on the Celtics would bust their ass.

9-0 at Home. 1-4 on Road.
      Will be interesting to see these 2 games and how that Ty Lue (best coach some players ever played for, says Mcirish) can figure out how to get some players on the floor that will give 110%. Could it be Clarkson? Hood? Cedi?(ha) Guys aren't scoring anyways, might as well play someone that will give an effort on both ends.

Lebron needs to somehow play all 4 qtrs. He takes off defense to conserve energy for offense, which could be a smart idea since the rest of the offense is shit, but needs to do as everyone has always said and not settle for jumpers come 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaylor89 View Post
        Not only better all around team...They have people that are playing hard.

Name 1 person that would go for a 50/50 ball on the Cavs? Maybe Tristan Thompson? Maybe?
        Everyone on the Celtics would bust their ass.

9-0 at Home. 1-4 on Road.
        Will be interesting to see these 2 games and how that Ty Lue (best coach some players ever played for, says Mcirish) can figure out how to get some players on the floor that will give 110%. Could it be Clarkson? Hood? Cedi?(ha) Guys aren't scoring anyways, might as well play someone that will give an effort on both ends.

Lebron needs to somehow play all 4 qtrs. He takes off defense to conserve energy for offense, which could be a smart idea since the rest of the offense is shit, but needs to do as everyone has always said and not settle for jumpers come 2nd half.
        Very good post, you're someone who gets it. I literally laughed out loud last night when I heard Mark Jackson say there are two outstanding coaches in this series, you would be hard pressed to find a bigger coaching mismatch this deep into the playoffs than Stevens/Lue. You also make a good point about the Celtics playing harder, Marcus Smart can play for my team anytime, Cleveland has no one who plays as hard or as tough as him. The Celtics can get whatever they want on offense, even the shots they miss are open ones for the most part, whereas Cleveland's misses are contested shots, last night Boston took 42 uncontested shots, Cleveland took 11 uncontested shots, Boston's defense is elite, Cleveland's is non existent. Boston has 6 or 7 guys that can score 20, Cleveland has 2. LeBron came out on fire, but after the shot to the jaw from Tatum's shoulder, he seemed affected the rest of the game, he seemed less aggressive. The bottom line is, there's just so much one great player can do when his teammates are trash, Love showed up and played well last night, but it takes more than 2 guys playing well to win. Boston is the better team, it's not even debatable at this point, doesn't guarantee they'll win the series, but unless LeBron gets some help, it's looking like a Bos/GS finals

Comment

On the radio this morning I believe I heard that the Cavs had 22 shots in the 4th qtr and 20 of them were contested...however they determine that.

I didn't watch the 2nd half of the game. But I can only view that as either the Cavs slowed down and weren't moving the ball or Boston just has a ton more energy/can play 4 qtrs of defense.

Comment

On the radio this morning I believe I heard that the Cavs had 22 shots in the 4th qtr and 20 of them were contested...however they determine that.
            I know they only had 3 uncontested shots in the second half, I don't know what constitutes a contested shot, but it's obvious one team plays tough, physical defense, and the other team doesn't. Cleveland's defense ranked 29th in defensive efficiency, I don't know where Boston ranks, but their defense is elite. The Celtics can get whatever they want offensively, they have 5 or 6 guys who can create a shot for themselves or a teammate, other than LeBron Cleveland doesn't have another player who can create his own shot, maybe Rodney Hood, but he's been invisible all playoffs, the only chance Cleveland has is if they shoot a very high percentage from three. Boston is younger, more athletic, and play smarter, they all buy into Stevens system, they play like a team, other than LeBron the Cavs play like a group of individuals.

Comment

I didn't watch the 2nd half of the game. But I can only view that as either the Cavs slowed down and weren't moving the ball or Boston just has a ton more energy/can play 4 qtrs of defense.
              Boston has guys who can defend multiple positions, in the first quarter Al Horford was forced to guard George Hill on a switch, Hill tried to shake him, but couldn't, at the end of the possession Horford blocked his shot. I can't think of too many centers who are capable of guarding the other teams' PG. The way the C's play defense is a thing of beauty, it's hard to describe, but during the game instead of watching the ball I'll watch the Celtics move around defensively, if someone gets beat on a cut, there's another guy right there to pick up the offensive player, they're well coached defensively and play together, all 5 guys locked in on what they're supposed to do. Cleveland's defense is atrocious, Boston can get anywhere they want on the floor from drives to the rim to open three's, the Cavs just aren't good enough defensively to stop them. Almost every Celtics possession results in a good shot, they don't always go in, but they always seem to get a good look, and they only had 5 turnovers which is extremely low, defensively the Cavs can't create turnovers the way Boston can, the Cavs struggle to get open looks, almost every shot they took was well guarded. LeBron is the only reason they still have a chance, take him off that team and this series is a giant mismatch

Comment

Originally posted by raycabino View Post
                That's better lol. I think we are all a little guilty of underestimating Boston. What makes them really tough is their ability to defend multiple positions which allows them to switch off of most picks and not give up a mismatch. All but Rozier have enough size and athleticism to make it a little more difficult on Lebron than he is used to.
                Great post Ray and spot on, did you see George Hill trying to score on Horford? When one teams center can guard the other teams PG, that tells you all you need to know. The Celtics play defense on a string, all five guys working together.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckyG View Post
                  Can Celts win a game in Cleveland?

In terms of stock, I have to think two things:
                  * UP: Stevens/Ainge
                  * Down: Irving looks expendable, and to lesser extent Hayward.
                  They've struggled on the road during the playoffs which isn't surprising given how young they are, but right now they're playing with a lot of confidence, hopefully they can win one in Cleveland, then close them out at home

Comment

Who is best black coach in nba? Racist lebron fired david blatt. Lue seems lost, bad hite by lebron

Comment

Originally posted by railbird View Post
                      Who is best black coach in nba? Racist lebron fired david blatt. Lue seems lost, bad hite by lebron

I would guess Alvin Gentry.

Comment

It most certainly was. LBJ made his bed and now he has to lay in it. I just watched Lue's postgame presser and even the reporters are trolling this fucking guy; this is where we find ourselves. Unbelievable.
                        Men are born for games. Nothing else... the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the pride of victory & the humiliation of defeat; which are themselves sufficient stake... But trial of chance or worth, all games aspire to the condition of war, for here, that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

Comment

You calling someone else a racist is fucking funny, you're the biggest racist scumbag piece of shit here

Comment

It's all so clear now: Danny Ainge has been wheeling and dealing, trading and drafting with one player in mind: LeBron James.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
                              It's all so clear now: Danny Ainge has been wheeling and dealing, trading and drafting with one player in mind: LeBron James.
                              The Toronto GM wasn't(to hear him tell it) and you saw what happened to them.

Boston will suffer the same fate because Cle is just better but their not much better and Stevens makes his team better than it is and Lue makes his team worse. Seriously JK, if we switched coaches, this wouldn't even be a Series because Boston wouldn't be here.
                              Men are born for games. Nothing else... the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the pride of victory & the humiliation of defeat; which are themselves sufficient stake... But trial of chance or worth, all games aspire to the condition of war, for here, that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

Comment

Originally posted by GameBred View Post
                                The Toronto GM wasn't and you saw what happened to them.

Boston will suffer the same fate because Cle is just better but their not much better and Stevens makes his team better than it is and Lue makes his team worse. Seriously JK, if we switched coaches, this wouldn't even be a Series because Boston wouldn't be here.
                                Game, let's combine both teams to form one starting lineup. Here's mine: LeBron, Tatum, Horford, Rozier, and Brown. What would be your starting lineup combining both teams

Comment

Originally posted by kane View Post
                                  Game, let's combine both teams to form one starting lineup. Here's mine: LeBron, Tatum, Horford, Rozier, and Brown. What would be your starting lineup combining both teams
                                  If Lue coached Boston, In your opinion, would they be here right now?

Lue coaches Cle and they are here right now.

I rest my case. Unless you really want to claim that Boston would be here under Lue.

Comment

If Lue coached Boston, In your opinion, would they be here right now?

Lue coaches Cle and they are here right now.

I rest my case. Unless you really want to claim that Boston would be here under Lue.
                                    They're not coached by Lue, but that doesn't change the fact that no one who knows basketball would take any of Cleveland's starters except LeBron, Boston has the better player at every position other than Lebron. Boston owns a top 5 defense, Cleveland's defense was ranked 29th. Boston has more better players, doesn't guarantee they win, but the thought that Cleveland is the better team makes no sense

Comment

They're not coached by Lue, but that doesn't change the fact that no one who knows basketball would take any of Cleveland's starters except LeBron, Boston has the better player at every position other than Lebron. Boston owns a top 5 defense, Cleveland's defense was ranked 29th. Boston has more better players, doesn't guarantee they win, but the thought that Cleveland is the better team makes no sense
                                      Then why won't you answer my question? I just want your honest opinion. Do you think Bos would be here now if Lue coached them?

So the market, that had Cle as Series favorites, despite not having HCA, doesn't know basketball?

Comment

Too small a sample size, but the argument could be made that Stevens is the one that makes those players better. The Boston departed hasn't exactly lived up to the level of play they showed under Stevens. Hell, put Love on Boston and he may return to that 25-12 guy.
                                        Any contributions greatly appreciated
                                        http://fullertoncares.com/
                                        http://www.sctbrescue.org/

Comment

• Re: Another NBA head-scratcher

Let's clone Brad Stevens and have them go at it. IYO, who wins?

Comment

Kane's starting five has a shot against Golden State.

Rozier would be the weak link.

Stevens promoted "The Butler Way" as a college coach and now he's performing his magic at the NBA level.

Great coaches are at their best when playing shorthanded.

I loved Ty Lue as an overachieving player, not so much as an overmatched coach.

Comment

Then why won't you answer my question? I just want your honest opinion. Do you think Bos would be here now if Lue coached them?

So the market, that had Cle as Series favorites, despite not having HCA, doesn't know basketball?
                                              The same market that favored Philly by 4.5 at Boston, and made them something like 5-1 favorites, the market was wrong. The market thought OKC was better than Utah, the market thought Portland was better than NO. I'm not interested in the market's opinion, I'm going by what I see, and what I see is one team is clearly better. I've given you a laundry list of reasons why Boston is better, you've yet to give me one reason why Cleveland is better, except for them having LeBron. I don't know if Boston would be in the ECF if they were coached by Lue, I do know they're here, and they're a better team than Cleveland who's basically a one man gang. Cleveland's backcourt got outscored 41-3 by Boston's last night, how is a team better when their starting backcourt scored 3 more points than I did. The Celtics have better players, and play better defense, unless you're going to tell me JR Smith is better than Jaylen Brown, and George Hill is better than Terry Rozier, or Kevin Love is better than Al Horford, or Tristan Thompson is better than Jayson Tatum. If you're putting together a team combining the Celts and Cavs, 4 of the starters are coming from Boston. Like I keep saying, being the better team doesn't guarantee anything, but the thought that Cleveland is the better overall team makes no sense. Last night Cleveland shot 11 uncontested shots, Boston shot 42, that's one team playing great defense and moving the ball, and the other team playing poor defense and being forced to rely on one guy. You can have the last word as there's obviously nothing I can say that will make you realize which team is more talented, if you think a team in the bottom 5 defensively is better than a team in the top five defensively, that's certainly your right, we'll see how the series plays out.

Comment

Adjusted series price at William Hill entering Game 3 on Saturday: Boston -200/Cleveland +175.

Comment

The same market that favored Philly by 4.5 at Boston, and made them something like 5-1 favorites, the market was wrong. The market thought OKC was better than Utah, the market thought Portland was better than NO. I'm not interested in the market's opinion, I'm going by what I see, and what I see is one team is clearly better. I've given you a laundry list of reasons why Boston is better, you've yet to give me one reason why Cleveland is better, except for them having LeBron. I don't know if Boston would be in the ECF if they were coached by Lue, I do know they're here, and they're a better team than Cleveland who's basically a one man gang. Cleveland's backcourt got outscored 41-3 by Boston's last night, how is a team better when their starting backcourt scored 3 more points than I did. The Celtics have better players, and play better defense, unless you're going to tell me JR Smith is better than Jaylen Brown, and George Hill is better than Terry Rozier, or Kevin Love is better than Al Horford, or Tristan Thompson is better than Jayson Tatum. If you're putting together a team combining the Celts and Cavs, 4 of the starters are coming from Boston. Like I keep saying, being the better team doesn't guarantee anything, but the thought that Cleveland is the better overall team makes no sense. Last night Cleveland shot 11 uncontested shots, Boston shot 42, that's one team playing great defense and moving the ball, and the other team playing poor defense and being forced to rely on one guy. You can have the last word as there's obviously nothing I can say that will make you realize which team is more talented, if you think a team in the bottom 5 defensively is better than a team in the top five defensively, that's certainly your right, we'll see how the series plays out.
                                                  As it often is. The Market is Macro-efficient w/ Micro-inefficiencies and this very well may be one of those inefficiencies; tough to say. I don't think so as I think Cle is just better but I am always updating my beliefs so if my opinion changes, you will be the first to know.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just get a question answered. If you don't want to answer it, that is your prerogative.

Comment

Just going to post its that time of year for Brick apologists to crank up the excuses.

Carry on.

Comment

Brick and Love the best two players in this series even if they havent played like it.

Everyone wrote off Boston after the injuries, everyone!

Why? Because you got 5 mediocre players on the court who so far have looked better than they are.

Why? A lot to do with coaching but to me they seem to want it more. Hustling instead of hanging back to cry to officials.

One old guy leading a bunch of young guys with very little playoff experience....?

Cavs in 7.

Comment

4 of the Top 6 Players in Boston's Rotation are 1st Year, 2nd Year, 3rd Year, and 4th Year Players.

Tatum, Brown, Rozier, and Smart.

Comment

Have you recently been concussed? On what planet is Boston better than Cleveland?

Who Won more Games during the Season ?

Or is that a Bad Indicator to use ?

Comment

Originally posted by boston massacre View Post
                                                            Who Won more Games during the Season ?

Or is that a Bad Indicator to use ?
                                                            Considering Cle was 3 different teams in one season, I don't think it is a bad indicator, just not entirely accurate.

Why did the Market price Cle as Odds-on for the series if Bos is so much better? You want to know why? If they priced Bos as chalk, they would have had massive liabilities; that's why. I'm talking Going Out of Business Liabilties; the entities that offered such pricing would have got absolutely pounded. If they started this series again with what we know now, Cle would still be priced as favorites.

Stop Resulting.

Comment

Shit, you're right, I forgot about that. Okay, that means there's even less chance of them both coming back, it will be a tough decision, which one to keep. Logic says Irving, but he'll cost more than Rozier and could get back more in a trade, but are they sure Scary Terry will play like this going forward? I have trust Danny will make the right choice.

Having to watch what you do and say about trying to acquire Future Free Agents, because of the N.B.A. Tampering Rules, there have been a few small Local Media Leaks, about what Danny Ainge's Ultimate Game Plan is for the Celtics.

And that is to try to eventually acquire Anthony Davis from New Orleans.
                                                              He's a Free Agent after next season.
                                                              But Danny could approach New Orleans about a Trade, where New Orleans would then Not lose him for Nothing.

Comment

Considering Cle was 3 different teams in one season, I don't think it is a bad indicator, just not entirely accurate.

Why did the Market price Cle as Odds-on for the series if Bos is so much better? You want to know why? If they priced Bos as chalk, they would have had massive liabilities; that's why. I'm talking Going Out of Business Liabilties; the entities that offered such pricing would have got absolutely pounded. If they started this series again with what we know now, Cle would still be priced as favorites.

Stop Resulting.

When the Eastern Conference got down to the Final Four, Boston was a Longshot against Cleveland, Toronto, and Philly.

Only because Irving and Haywood were in Street Clothes.

Otherwise, The Favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by boston massacre View Post
                                                                  When the Eastern Conference got down to the Final Four, Boston was a Longshot against Cleveland, Toronto, and Philly.

Only because Irving and Haywood were in Street Clothes.

Otherwise, The Favorite.
                                                                  OK. So what are you disagreeing with me about?

Comment

Probably not a better indicator of a coaching mismatch than the line discrepancy for game 3. Don't remember seeing this before for an NBA game.

Cle -6.5
                                                                    Cle 1st 1/2 - 5.5

Comment

Originally posted by 2W2P2S View Post
                                                                      Probably not a better indicator of a coaching mismatch than the line discrepancy for game 3. Don't remember seeing this before for an NBA game.

Cle -6.5
                                                                      Cle 1st 1/2 - 5.5

Last week phil was-9 and first half was -7 -115 so similar

Comment

Originally posted by jasson621 View Post
                                                                        Last week phil was-9 and first half was -7 -115 so similar
                                                                        The market loves Stevens, and he didn't get 1 vote for Coach of the Year.

Comment

Cle -6.5
                                                                          Cle 1st 1/2 - 5.5
                                                                          Teams at home down 0-2 have an amazing ats record in the first half of game 3, the books have caught on

Comment

The market loves Stevens, and he didn't get 1 vote for Coach of the Year.
                                                                            he didn't get any votes from the other jealous coaches, but Stevens is a finalist for COY along with Dwane Casey (LOL) and Quin Snyder

Comment

Bill Walsh said i was a genius last year when i won it all. This year we're 5-5, im doing everything exactly the same and im a dumbass.

Im not doubting Stevens is a good coach, his record supports that, but i believe there are other factors into why Celtics are playing so well.

Maybe im wrong but doubt he will dominate the NBA the next 3 decades. Agree with Ray in that coaches might be hardest to quantify.

Comment

Cle -6.5
                                                                                Cle 1st 1/2 - 5.5
                                                                                That's an 0-2 coming home for game 3 bias not a coaching bias though I do agree that this is a coaching mismatch.

Comment

Cle -6.5
                                                                                  Cle 1st 1/2 - 5.5
                                                                                  David vs. Goliath..... And David flung a stone and the Philistine fell

I gave Brad "Sampson" Stevens a buzz cut in another thread earlier so I think the Cavs are good regardless of whether or not the stone is on time and on target.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X