Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Cup Thread

Originally posted by Dell Dude View Post
    It is abuse to make Belgium and England play for 3rd. Have an All Star game or something with the best players from eliminated teams. No reason to play for 3rd place.
    Somebody has to get those participation medals at the end of it, might as well play for them.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

Comment

Originally posted by railbird View Post
      England didn't over achieve they had a dream draw, Belgium overacheived
      I am sure they are overaching from something France laid on them, but not from overachieving.

Belgium was easily the most entertaining side in the tournament, but that side usually doesn't win the tournament. As far as I can remember Brazil 1982, Denmark 1986, Cameroon 1990, Romania 1994, France 2006, Dutch 2010 all played exciting, attacking style and looked capable of beating anyone but in the end a more pragmatic side took them out.

Only France in 1998, Brazil in 2002 and Germany in 2014 managed to pull it off by playing the game the right way.

Comment

Croatia with two goals in the first 30 minutes.

One on their own net, though.
        Originally posted by railbird
        Satan time is short

Comment

LB France -147 to win WC @ 1-1, 33' 1 unit

Comment

Originally posted by Heim View Post
            How can you have a draw in a final? Is it just the score in regulation including added time?
            always a draw available in soccer because unlike the nonsensical rules for American sports, soccer bets are for 90 minutes+injury time

if there's "extra time" (Americans would say overtime), that does not count for the regular bets, only the 'to advance' bets.
            Satan time is short

Comment

VAR awards a penalty for handball, Griezmann puts it away
              Satan time is short

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenGoon View Post
                LB France -147 to win WC @ 1-1, 33' 1 unit
                I missed that bet by 3 seconds. Put the bet in at pinny and it got put on hold cause it got to a danger area. Then the handball.

Comment

got it in by the skin of my teeth... somehow it went directly into pending

8722xxx50-1
                  8:33am 15-Jul-18 8:00am 15-Jul-18 Soccer
                  Handicap
                  France (To Win Final) (+0) vs Croatia (To Win Final) for Match.
                  [Live! 0-0]

Comment

nice job, Goon

France won in spite of Olivier Giroud.

He played in all seven matches.

0 shots on target, 0 goals (obviously)4 fouls drawn, 14 fouls conceded.
                    Satan time is short

Comment

I don't think there were many goals expected from Giroud with the style France planned on playing at the WC, his job was to play up high, lay off balls to the attacking mids and to create space for Griezmann and Mbappe to operate in. A lot of his defensive work goes unnoticed as well, especially in the Belgium game where he dropped back and cut off a lot of the range of De Bruyne, especially once France went up 1-0. I have followed him since his days at Tours in L2, hard to believe that team had him, Koscielny, Keseru, Bocundi Ca, Pape Diop, Mehdi Benatia and Diego Gomez at the same time... That's 5 guys that played in world cups on a L2 side. Giroud is a guy that can play in any system and do any job they ask him to do.

If he never scores another goal, he's still got this:

Comment

Love reading Goon's commentary.

Seems like the Belgium-France game was the key match.

Comment

Originally posted by railbird View Post
                          winky constantly makes this mistake, it means nothing.
                          Leave Winky out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerjoe View Post
                            I can't quantify this impact, nor do I have base-rate PRs to apply it to, but ... Croatia has played an extra 90 minutes of soccer en route to the final, which obviously is equal to a whole extra game, AND is playing with a day less rest. I lean France.
                            I like when sharp gamblers offer their opinions outside their field of expertise.

Nicely done, POKERJOE.

One other factor in favor of France: They were able to scout the England-Croatia game knowing they were going to play the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
                              I like when sharp gamblers offer their opinions outside their field of expertise.

Nicely done, POKERJOE.

One other factor in favor of France: They were able to scout the England-Croatia game knowing they were going to play the winner.
                              I'm not sure Croatia didn't outplay them even though they lost by two goals; way it goes. For instance, going in, I thought Spain was the best side, ended up looking like Brazil clearly was w/ Spain and Uruguay right behind them.
                              Men are born for games. Nothing else... the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the pride of victory & the humiliation of defeat; which are themselves sufficient stake... But trial of chance or worth, all games aspire to the condition of war, for here, that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

Comment

Just shocking to me that a forward can play seven matches without a shot on target.
                                Satan time is short

Comment

Read a New York Times article that said scouting of soccer players is rarely done during the World Cup.

The best scouts say: If you wait until the World Cup to learn about the players, you're not doing your job.

No major discoveries to be made by serious scouts during World Cup play.

Interesting take.

Comment

Working...
                                  X