World Cup Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Thread

Nine days away, not a lot of buzz around here. Rosters are official now, a few big snubs, I like the positive that Peru gets their striker Guerrero back off the suspension, should be a fun team to watch.

Let's get some discussion going and make some money.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

Re: World Cup Thread

What do you make of those practice friendly games, do teams try to win those, like preseason why would any big favorite try too hard with the stars this close? Underdogs?

Comment

Good luck, Goon.

More NAME teams missed qualifying this team. Think that dampened the buzz a little. Also, I think people see this running out as top-heavy + predictable.

Comment

How good is Guerrero from Peru? He is 34 yrs old, which is a bit old for top-striker.

Comment

It's not how good he is at his point, but his presence creates more space for Farfan and delivery options for Hurtado. He is still a very good finisher, but not on the level he was at Bayern. I am excited to see him play, it would have been cruel for Peru to qualify for the first time since 1982 and not have him there.

Comment

Of the names missing, who's the best side really? Italy, Chile, Holland, USA, Ivory Coast, Cameroon?

Aside from Chile, I don't think any of those teams would have had a significant impact in the WC

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckyG View Post
              How good is Guerrero from Peru? He is 34 yrs old, which is a bit old for top-striker.
              i THINK Peru is the most undervalued team in the Cup. I Bet them really big in their 1st game vs Denmark and bet them big to get out of group C. Also bet a little taste at 220-1 to win the Cup just in case they catch lighting in a bottle lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenGoon View Post
                It's not how good he is at his point, but his presence creates more space for Farfan and delivery options for Hurtado. He is still a very good finisher, but not on the level he was at Bayern. I am excited to see him play, it would have been cruel for Peru to qualify for the first time since 1982 and not have him there.
                Thx, Goon. Peru is a team I have my eye on. Did very well in qualifying.

I'll throw out one handicapping theory. At an event like this, I feel like the smallish nations with ONE huge name will tend to get overbet. These teams become stylish darkhorse picks.

Teams I have in mind that will be popular but over-priced:
                * Denmark (w/ Eriksen)
                * Egypt (w/ Salah)
                * Poland (w/ Lewandowski).

Comment

A bit unfair to call Denmark a one horse pony.

For Egypt, I don't know many people that could name 5 of their starters.

Poland is a complete team, they did well at Euro and are only getting better. They've had some injuries so it's hard to tell how effective a guy like Milik will be in the WC but they have the goaltending and some serious skill in MF. I would look for overs in Poland games, they are not a team that can shut things down defensively and they don't mind trading chances. In that group with other lethal strikers, it should be some high scoring games. Basically, if you need to buy a vowel, buy the over

Comment

Originally posted by trytrytry View Post
                    What do you make of those practice friendly games, do teams try to win those, like preseason why would any big favorite try too hard with the stars this close? Underdogs?

Here in Costa Rica, the men's national team on Sunday pounded Northern Ireland, 3-0, at National Stadium before a big crowd looking to provide a positive send-off for the local heroes on their way to the World Cup.

Last week, Northern Ireland earned a scoreless tie with Panama in an international friendly.

Comment

Just wait until Pelé makes a selection then fade them.

Comment

Or wait until DrunkenGoon publishes a play and follow him.

Comment

Actually, the last WC was a struggle for me, did well with early bets but the day to day action was in the minus. Costa Rica and all those extra time games in the elimination round did me in. I remember Greece late winner to advance to R16 was a big blow.

Comment

Russia and Saudi Arabia will kickoff the 2018 World Cup tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. ET.

Any thoughts?

Comment

over 2.5 in game one at a nice juicy price in the +140 range
                              3-0 or 3-1

Comment

Working...
                              X