Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King of the Hill, 1974 documentary film featuring Ferguson Jenkins and Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of the Hill, 1974 documentary film featuring Ferguson Jenkins and Chicago Cubs

A great waste of time in August for baseball fans & especially Cubs fans.

Ferguson Jenkins is featured here as a Cubs baseball pitcher in the early 1970’s
    From the Players perspectives with mostly the players views on and off the field.
    Lots of nostalgia including Wrigley Field, Cubs baseball and even some of Manager Leo Durocher (nice guys finish last).

My personal highlight was Cy Young winner Fergie lighting up discussing a 5 year - million dollar contract with his agent.
    Baseball money is different now.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/king_of_the_hill/

I've never heard of this film. Thanks for sharing.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Comment

I saw Fergie this past spring in Phoenix, Arizona.

He was signing autographs at a spring training game featuring the Seattle Mariners (the opponent escapes me).

Fergie is 75 but looked 55.

Comment

I'll set aside an hour (56 minutes, 56 seconds to be exact) to watch the movie later tonight.

Thanks for sharing, Neveragain.

Comment

I faintly remember Fergie giving up a lot of home run balls.

Comment

Fergie is one of the "12 Black Aces," a select group of black pitchers with at least 20 wins in one MLB season.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kelly View Post
              Fergie is one of the "12 Black Aces," a select group of black pitchers with at least 20 wins in one MLB season.
              The 12 Black Aces are Vida Blue, Al Downing, Bob Gibson, Dwight Gooden, Mudcat Grant, Ferguson Jenkins, Sam Jones, Don Newcombe, Mike Norris, J.R. Richard, Dave Stewart and Earl Wilson.

Comment

I faintly remember Fergie giving up a lot of home run balls.
                Yes he did, he didn't walk many either.
                Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
                -

Comment

Gene Mauch said Fergie was no good when he was with the Phillies....gave him away to the Cubs....
                  Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
                    Gene Mauch said Fergie was no good when he was with the Phillies....gave him away to the Cubs....

Mauch's "small ball" philosophy would be heavily criticized by today's standards.

Though I'd like one team to adopt the strategy now that every club is swinging for the fences.

Comment

The 12 Black Aces are Vida Blue, Al Downing, Bob Gibson, Dwight Gooden, Mudcat Grant, Ferguson Jenkins, Sam Jones, Don Newcombe, Mike Norris, J.R. Richard, Dave Stewart and Earl Wilson.
                      There should be "13 Black Aces" John. In 2005 Dontrelle Willis won 22 games for the Florida Marlins
                      All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

Comment

Originally posted by kane View Post

There should be "13 Black Aces" John. In 2005 Dontrelle Willis won 22 games for the Florida Marlins

Good catch, Kane.

DONTRELLE WILLIS
                        Image result for dontrelle willis

Thirteenth Member of the Black Aces: September 7, 2005 by defeating the Washington Nationals 12-1.
                        Awards/Notes:
                        • 2003 was his only 20-win season
                        • Named NL Rookie of the Year in 2003.
                        • Named to the 2003 and 2005 NL All Star Teams.
                        Bio:

Dontrelle Willis was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 8th round of the 2000 amatuer draft. He was traded to the Florida Marlins on March 27, 2002 and made his MLB debut with the Marlins on May 9, 2003. Willis won the NL rookie of the year award in 2003 posting a record of 14-6 with a 3.30 ERA and he won the NL Cy Young Award in 2003. Willis pitched for the Florida Marlins through the 2006 season. Prior to the 2007 season, Willis was traded to the Detroit Tigers. Willis was unalble to duplicate his early success he had in Florida. His time in Detroit was marred by personal problems and injuries. Willis was given his outright release on June 1, 2010. Willis briefly pitch for the Arizona Cardinals prior to being released on July 6, 2010. Willis finished the 2010 seaon with the San Francisco Giants minor league affiliate Fresno Grizzlies of the Pacific Coast League. He returned to the big leagues as a member of the 2011 Reds.

Comment

Image result for dontrelle willis

Comment

Nice way to kill an hour. Durocher was some SOB.

Comment

Working...
                            X