NEW UM COACH

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated
Look for Randy Shannon, theor D coordinator, to be named the new UM coach, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Re: NEW UM COACH

i have major mixed feelings about this: he's been around here forever, definiely has earned the shot. The D under him has been the strong point year in year out. Hes got great relationships with all the HS coaches here in Dade and Broward.

But I think the problem with the Canes has been the predictable, pedestrian anemic offense. We need someone whos gonna makeover this offense, imo.

Trace Fields

EOG Addicted

Shannon was used to pimp Apple computers as he used one to store, present, and change his playbook. Shannon's belief is to play base 4-3 defense, which looks great when you are loaded with NFL players on that side of the ball. No one knows if he is good, we know he is not bad at his current spot. Like Lawrence stated, the problem is the offense, they should sign coach Rod, I lobbied hard for Oklahoma State to hire coach Rod. Defense is much easier to coach, offense is difficult. The kids will play hard under Shannon, but he will likely fail if hired.

Of course, the AD should be fired for extending Joker's contract and the pres is a total idiot.

Ripped71

EOG Member

WTF, was Chuck Neinas needed for? They paid a goddam consultant to hire from within.....the only good thing about Shannon is that he is a good recruiter but that won't necessarily translate into success.

ArneK.

EOG Enthusiast

There's no question that Randy Shannon has the credentials to be a coach at a big time program. Check the defensive stats for the Hurricanes after he returned to the program after building Zach Thomas into an All-Pro with the Dolphins. Miami's defensive numbers are superb and it isn't all about recruiting although that is also one of Shannon's strong suits. However, Trace is absolutely correct that Miami will flounder if Shannon doesn't hire a clever offensive coordinator and give him free reign. Shannon is strictly a defensive guy. A little scuttlebutt: A trustworthy source informed me that Ole Miss was close to hiring Shannon two years ago before a big booster kibboshed it. The reason why he wasn't hired was the "salt and pepper" factor, which still doesn't play well in the deep south. Translation: Shannon's spouse doesn't share his pigmentation. A few weeks ago, Shannon was considered a lock for the FIU vacancy. His son from a prior relationship is a starting center for the Golden Panthers. I hope Shannon does well as Larry Coker's successor, but I wouldn't wish this job on anyone. The 'Canes have fair-weather fans and impatient boosters. There's no honeymoon period for the next coach at Miami.

Trace Fields

EOG Addicted

WTF, was Chuck Neinas needed for? They paid a goddam consultant to hire from within.....the only good thing about Shannon is that he is a good recruiter but that won't necessarily translate into success.

I asked the same thing when Oklahoma State hired Neinas for their search to find Les Miles from "within".... Neinas only has ONE ROLE, he acts as a middle man to contact coaches so coaches and schools can say..."I have not heard from the University of Miami" and "no we did not contact your coach whom we are considering to hire....(lie)" to bypass the unwritten rule of THOU SHALT CONTACT THE AD BEFORE TALKING TO THE HEAD COACH!

Schools that use Chuck are stupid. 25K/pop.

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

I have to agree with pretty much all that has been said above. My twist on it is that the program/athletes are and have been out of control for awhile. (seems like an eternity) I just think it was an opportune time to CLEAN house and start with someone from outside the organization.