OT New TV Plasma- LCD

Need some advice on new TV's....Bought a new house, need to get new tv's through out. I have had plasma connections pre-wired into the walls while it was being built....

I know nothing about the new TV's....(I have been living in the dinasour era with the tubed TV's).......Difference's between LCD/Plasma ect.
Need to get a few tv's for the house. 2 of the rooms have been pre-wired for dolby 6.1 sound.....What will work the best for this set-ep and has good picture quality ect.....

Any advice would be appreciated.....:thumbsup

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Re: OT New TV Plasma- LCD

Buy LCD.

Sony got out of the Plasma business because of the heating problems with Plasma and the fact Plasma TV's can't handle the sports tickers and video games.

Tickers can burn into the screen with Plasma.

Wonder why your laptop screen is LCD and not plasma??

If the computer industry felt that LCD is the way to go then I see it too.

Buy LCD.

Sony got out of the Plasma business because of the heating problems with Plasma and the fact Plasma TV's can't handle the sports tickers and video games.

Tickers can burn into the screen with Plasma.

Wonder why your laptop screen is LCD and not plasma??

If the computer industry felt that LCD is the way to go then I see it too.

Any recommendations on any certian kind of model that preforms better than another? TIA

Slight Favorite

EOG Addicted

I went plasma with a Samsung. Screen burn can become a problem if you don't stay on top of it. But, most new plasma's come with some sort of screen burn protection built in. LCD is the way to go if you want to plug it in and forget about it.

I went for picture quality with plasma, and was not disappointed.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I'd advise Plasma. Large LCD's are way more expensive than Plasmas, and plasma has better picture quality. Most Plasma's have sleep mode to prevent burn-in. LCD's do not show the color black very well. LCD's do have a better lifespan than plasma's, but factoring in cost and picture quality plasma is the way to go.

What about DLP's? are they similar to plasma's and lcd's? pros- cons on these? Sorry about all the questions...I'm a 21st century TV novice for sure...

Thanks for this topic, I will also follow it.

I am also planning to buy one , If I hit good bets coming weekends :D

I've got a 50 inch Sony which is LCOS technology.

This is what I found about it:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]What is LCOS technology?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Well, you could think of it as a hybrid between LCD and DLP. LCD uses liquid crystals, one for each pixel, on glass panels. Light passes through these LCD panels on the way to the lens and is modulated by the liquid crystals as it passes. Thus it is a "transmissive" technology. On the other hand, DLP uses tiny mirrors, one for each pixel, to reflect light. DLP modulates the image by tilting the mirrors either into or away from the lens path. It is therefore a "reflective" technology.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]LCOS combines these two ideas. It is a reflective technology that uses liquid crystals instead of individual mirrors. In LCOS, liquid crystals are applied to a reflective mirror substrate. As the liquid crystals open and close, the light is either reflected from the mirror below, or blocked. This modulates the light and creates the image.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I guess it's like LCD and DLP.

--------

Plasma TV's have gotten considerably better over the last couple of years.

If you're getting a wall mounted TV, I'd get a plasma. If you aren't mounting it on the wall, I'd look at other options. Plus, it depends on the size of the wall mount. If it's a smaller TV, you may be better off with lcd.

I did a ton of research before I bought my TV because if I'm going to spend 3 grand on a damn tv, it better be the best for the money. I'm pretty happy with what I got.

MCP

I heard plasma's give off some serious radiation... is this true ?

screen burn is really no longer an issue with plasmas any more than it is with any others, especially if you are careful during the first 200 hours or so that it's on. Not saying that's not a long time, but they say the first 200 are the most important.

One thing that PISSES ME THE HELL OFF...find me an HD channel that doesn't have a damn static logo on it in one of the corners saying HD on it.

WTF. We have high def tv's you idiots. I guess they're trying to burn their logo into our screens for some permanent exposure. Fortunately, we have those wonderful commercials at 3 minutes a pop every 30 seconds to save us.

I'd be careful watching soccer and other things that have tickers, logos, scores, etc. that don't change or move AT ALL, but honestly other than that, there's not much worry. Just don't leave it on or on pause for really long periods of time.

Video games, that is another story.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Don't buy DLP.

The "P" stands for Projection. It's a projected image off of a mirror. It's is not a direct picture.

LCD and Plasma are Direct View.

I have a Sony LCD and love it. It's either Samsung LCD or Sony LCD or nothing for me. I am a Sony guy but Samsung has gotten much better.

Many buy Plasma because it's cheaper and it's the Costco special.

Wouldn't trade my Sony LCD for anything on the market.

Price is not an object with me for TV and Toilet Paper.

wow never knew screen burn was an issue with plasmas...thanks for the info....So if the tv is going to be on for hours and hours a day then LCD is the better option?.......

akillies

EOG Veteran

Lcd is the best, also the most expensive.
Sharp Aquos is the best lcd tv.
Whatever you buy make sure it is a Hdtv.

daringly

EOG Enthusiast

Lcd is the best, also the most expensive.
Sharp Aquos is the best lcd tv.
Whatever you buy make sure it is a Hdtv.

I have a Sharp LCD TV also (HD, not ED). It is by FAR the best smaller HD TV I have ever seen. If you want 32' or smaller, take a close look at the Sharp... a 29' is perfect for your office cubicle (with my computer and monitors setup).