The Pinnacle Effect- Sports Book Decision Has Chilling Consequences

<b>The Pinnacle Effect- Sports Book Decision Has Chilling Consequences</b>

written January 12, 2007

The online gambling industry has changed dramatically over the last decade. Perhaps the biggest news to ever plague sports betting occurred several months ago in the form of an Internet Gambling Bill. The legislation that recently passed both the House and the Senate makes it unequivocally clear that it is against the law for US citizens to gamble on the Internet.

The second most monumental event that comes to mind occurred back in 1998, when over twenty bookmakers were indicted for illegal activities with regards to Internet Gambling. One brave man, namely Jay Cohen, returned to the United States to fight the government. I was there at his trial. He never had a chance. He was found guilty of several charges related to bookmaking and he served almost two years in Prison.

And although the rise and fall of Aces Gold Sports Book is another unforgettable time that had devastating effects on many involved in the realm of online sports betting, the decision reached by Pinnacle Sports less than 24 hours ago to stop catering to US citizens ranks third on my list.

The reason that Pinnacle Sports' sudden compliance with US law is so catastrophic is largely due to the fact that Pinnacle has been regarded as one of the very best online sports books this industry has ever witnessed. In my opinion, they WERE the BEST. Whenever anyone asked for a sports book to join throughout the different message boards, Pinnacle was always mentioned and often listed first.

I had the privilege of meeting their "main man" on a couple of occasions and I talked with him quite often over the past nine years they have been in business. He is arguably the most intelligent man (tied with Jay Cohen) that I have ever encountered. More importantly, he was as honorable as they come. When he gave his word on anything, gamblers could always count on it. His bookmaking skills were second to nobody and he revolutionized our industry by being amongst the first to offer reduced juice. And no one could ever really out how he could be so profitable working with such low margins.

Several times when we chatted, I felt like I couldn't multi task because it took every ounce of gray matter left in my brain to follow his mind. He was as sharp as they come. What he lacked in personal and people skills at times could be multiplied exponentially by a mathematical mind set that only Einstein could follow regularly.

But now that the decision to not serve US citizens was made, gamblers have been asking if this is permanent and the answer is yes. For one thing I know about their main man is that he only sees black and white; doesn't believe in gray. Once he makes up his mind, it is done with. Pinnacle Sports will never serve US citizens again barring a sudden change in the law or until hell freezes over. I am that sure.

Unfortunately, the chilling effects are already occurring because gamblers who had money at Pinnacle are being refunded. This means they have more cash on hand, thereby needing less at other places, who have told me they are also being asked for more pay outs than usual. Furthermore, since Pinnacle was extremely generous when it came to helping out other sports books, there is money that now has to be given back to Pinnacle from these other bookmakers.

Gamblers are panicking because they wonder if anyone else will follow Pinnacle's decision to pull out of the US market in the near future. Although I don't know the answer, nor wish to speculate, there is one thing I do want to close with.

The bureaucrats in Washington should be ashamed of themselves for setting us back to the days of Prohibition. There is no way that Internet gambling will be stopped. More and more ILLEGAL local bookies are thriving because gamblers are choosing to do business with them because they believe it is safer. However, the reality is that it isn't.

I've heard more horror stories from gamblers who were given credit by unscrupulous hoods that end up with what is called the "H" (hospital) plan. They have either their fingers or hands broken because they can't pay their debts.

As a Psychiatrist, I can speak with medical certainty that both Alcohol and cigarettes are much more harmful to the human body than gambling is. Yet, we live in a society whose hypocrites in Washington would rather see us die from these vices rather than allow us free choice to gamble.

Let's all drink to that (since we can't gamble). :cheers

On second thought, I'll pass.

written by Kenneth B. Weitzner (The Shrink)

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Re: The Pinnacle Effect- Sports Book Decision Has Chilling Consequences

ill drink drink drink to that.

roach23

Banned

who is the guy in the picture?

mofome

Banned

i enjoy reading a good article and that certainly fits the mold. very nice, Ken

:cheers

Nothing but bad news..Unfortunately, Outstanding write.-Jojo

The Devil

EOG Master

GOOD ARTICLE KEN.....

I BELIEVE THAT'S FRIST IN THE PICTURE......

David Matthews

EOG Enthusiast

Hi Shrink,

nice article. Thanks.

Could you explain this part for me, please? I'm quite interested in how this works.

Furthermore, since Pinnacle was extremely generous when it came to helping out other sports books, there is money that now has to be given back to Pinnacle from these other bookmakers.

Thanks,
David

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Roach ....

Jackass Bush asskisser Bill First out of Tennessee ... all the Bushies who
think the CRAWFORD BUTCHER has a Halo around his head are starting to
realize that Bush is a lowlife criminal whose flappin "War on Terror" is
nothing but a bunch of shit designed to destroy this country

Illegal wire taps/taping into your banking info/attempts to shut down the
internet /opening your mail without a warrant/ selling out our borders
with Mexico

This country is at war with terrorists ...and they are called Republicans and
led by the CRAWFORD BUTCHER

You have been warned and hope Americans wake the fuck up !

rainbow

EOG Master

Hi Shrink,

nice article. Thanks.

Could you explain this part for me, please? I'm quite interested in how this works.

Thanks,
David
To me is was like players had money coming from PINNACLE, and for EXAMPLE, the PLAYER had MONEY coming and SIMPLY asked PINNACLE could they TRANSFER some of their MONEY to CRIS or WHOEVER and you know whatever book that was LOVED it, SIMPLY because now they can WIN that MONEY that was TRANSFERED to them, thats how I see it in my EYES...

Last edited:

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Has anyone considered the possibility that the Gov. caught some agents from Pinny in the US taking bets....and so on, etc. Being the reason they got out of the US market?

sean1

EOG Dedicated

David-

From what I have heard, Pinnacle lent (And maybe never accepted repayment) money to several books that were having a hard time way back when in efforts to strengthen the industry and not let players be stiffed.

Sean

rainbow

EOG Master

David-

From what I have heard, Pinnacle lent (And maybe never accepted repayment) money to several books that were having a hard time way back when in efforts to strengthen the industry and not let players be stiffed.

Sean
RIGHT, MAYBE NEVER ACCEPTED REPAYMENT, NOWAY POSSIBLE THAT HAPPENED...

Last edited:

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

first paragraph...

"The online gambling industry has changed dramatically over the last decade. Perhaps the biggest news to ever plague sports betting occurred several months ago in the form of an Internet Gambling Bill. The legislation that recently passed both the House and the Senate makes it unequivocally clear that it is against the law for US citizens to gamble on the Internet."

...WRONG!!!! The legislation makes it unequivocally clear that it is against the law for books to book bets with US citizens, and also for US financial institutions to make financial transactions with these books.

pioneer,

I appreciate you clarifying that error. It was late when I wrote the column, but still a glaring mistake that needed to be pointed out...

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

THE SHRINK

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

No problem, Shrink. Something about an error that just behooves me to correct it. I am somewhat amiss at times to thank you for all the information and support that you do provide us here, specifically in regard to the Pinnacle situation and the 20% bonus you secured for us from WSEX. So let me take this opportunity to thank you, Shrink.

The more I see of this freedom, the more it taste like fascism.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Great write there Shrink. One of your best. But on the whole all of this just agitates me to no end. Remember when you were a teenager and somebody would tell you can't do something. The thought was well wait till I am an adult I will do what ever I want. And now as an adult I am being told yet again I can't do something. That I need a government to guide me, to protect me from an activity that does no harm to anyone, including myself because i have control. It is not fun when the realization sets in that your freedoms are being taken away slowly but surely.

Woody

EOG Veteran

...WRONG!!!! The legislation makes it unequivocally clear that it is against the law for books to book bets with US citizens, and also for US financial institutions to make financial transactions with these books.

Good point but not entirely correct. The UIGEA simply enforces the existing laws and is not contrued to extend, change or otherwise alter existing State laws. To the best of my knowledge the following nine states have statutes expressly prohibiting remote gaming: Louisiana, Nevada, Michigan, Illinois, South Dakota, Oregon, Indiana, Wisconsin and Washington.

An indiividual betting online in Washington State is committing a felony that has a maximum sentence of 5 yearsin jail.

Unfortunately all the commentary on this Act, at least in the popular press, has been erroneous suggesting that, like your Congress, few if any have even read the Act.

Moneyneversleeps

EOG Enthusiast

In your article you state that it is illegal for U.S. citizens to bet on the internet. As I understand the law it is not illegal for players to bet but it is illegal for banks to process payments and for bookies to accept bets. There is nothing in the bill that criminalizes the individual player. As long as your home state does not have a law expressly prohibiting internet gambling there is nothing for the individual player to worry about. Is that accurate?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by pioneer
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Good point but not entirely correct. The UIGEA simply enforces the existing laws and is not contrued to extend, change or otherwise alter existing State laws. To the best of my knowledge the following nine states have statutes expressly prohibiting remote gaming: Louisiana, Nevada, Michigan, Illinois, South Dakota, Oregon, Indiana, Wisconsin and Washington.

An indiividual betting online in Washington State is committing a felony that has a maximum sentence of 5 yearsin jail.

Unfortunately all the commentary on this Act, at least in the popular press, has been erroneous suggesting that, like your Congress, few if any have even read the Act.

Thanks Woody, but what's not entirely correct about my statement?
"WRONG!!!! The legislation makes it unequivocally clear that it is against the law for books to book bets with US citizens, and also for US financial institutions to make financial transactions with these books."

Of course the UIGEA enforces the existing laws; and I never said that it construed any extension, change, or alteration of existing state laws. So what exactly is not correct?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Bookmaking has always been illegal and always will. Whatever BM wants to call it a day....big deal......there will always be someone around to take your action.

Just remember: Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Fucking republican cock suckers got no problem with letting wall street sharks like Ken Lay and Michael Milken loose on billions in retirment funds in their efforts to privatize while telling us we're not responsible enough to gamble with discretionary income. We're taking it in the ass as the freaks on the right screw us at every turn.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Fucking republican cock suckers got no problem with letting wall street sharks like Ken Lay and Michael Milken loose on billions in retirment funds in their efforts to privatize while telling us we're not responsible enough to gamble with discretionary income. We're taking it in the ass as the freaks on the right screw us at every turn.
Hard to argue with that Frank.....:hung

so not legal gambling in the states any decade soon?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

so not legal gambling in the states any decade soon?
I can't think of ANY state that does not have legalized gambling. They're just very hypoctical about legalized sports gambling.

I can't think of ANY state that does not have legalized gambling. They're just very hypoctical about legalized sports gambling.

Very true ZZ
Besides Utah, Dont most states have Lotterys and Horse tracks

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Very true ZZ
Besides Utah, Dont most states have Lotterys and Horse tracks
You can't play your number in Utah.....but you can have six or seven wives!!!!!!!!!!:+music1-6 :+music1-6 :+music1-6

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

You can't play your number in Utah.....but you can have six or seven wives!!!!!!!!!!:+music1-6 :+music1-6 :+music1-6

lol, i think utah and hawaii are the only 2 states without any form of legalized gambling.

opotus

EOG Veteran

Is there anything about the latest elections that can give us hope in terms of toning down the stuff that passed? I mean, with the Democrats taking over more positions, could they have other priorities that would in effect neuter the bill?