Bobby Knight speech

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran
Re: Bobby Knight speech

Bet they won the game though......

:+whipping

Bobby could get their asses in line....

Its a damn shame the cowards at IU ran him out....

rainbow

EOG Master

What was so strong about him at INDIANA was that he made sure that PRACTICALLY all his PLAYERS GRADUATED, he talked a many JR?S into coming back their SR YEAR to GRADUATE...

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Indiana University has yet to place Coach Knight in their hall of fame I believe. Ya know, I don't care about bad blood and their disagreements while Miles was there, but what a bunch of loons the people must be who have not given Coach the credit for what he did for not only Indiana University but the entire Big 10.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Indiana University has yet to place Coach Knight in their hall of fame I believe. Ya know, I don't care about bad blood and their disagreements while Miles was there, but what a bunch of loons the people must be who have not given Coach the credit for what he did for not only Indiana University but the entire Big 10.

If its IU's idea then its very short sighted and stupid as he belongs there after all he did for that University. I would be interested to see if Bobby Knight would even accept that honor from IU. It would be just like him to tell them to go pound sand.

dirty

EOG Master

He needs someone to punch him in the Face for all the kids he has slapped

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

He needs someone to punch him in the Face for all the kids he has slapped

Dirty-

He is not without fault and for the most part, people either love him or hate him. I will say this in his defense, he NEVER cheats. His kids are not coddled, they are disciplined. When they graduate, and almost all of his kids graduate, his kids are model citizens (except for the idiot Isiah). He doesnt get the best talent in the country, mostly because he expects his kids to go to class and not to get in trouble, but he knows the game of basketball.

I would have no problem with him coaching my son, not that theres ever a chance of that happening.

dirty

EOG Master

I never said that he was not a great coach, good Disciplinarian, etc... I respect what he has accomplished. I would not have a problem with my kid playing for him. But with that said, you can do all those things without doing the things he does. Does Coach K do those things, Dean Smith, etc...they ran clean programs, Graduated players, puts quality people into society, etc.... I have no Respect for the University of Indiana or Texas Tech for Letting a Man like that embarrass their respective Universities by his antics for the sake of Winning Basketball Games. Any Respectable University would have shown him the door years ago as their is more to Life than sports, and some parents, faculty members, and Alumni Don't believe in Tough Love.... I for one do as I believe everyone needs a good asskicking to keep them in line from time to time. But in the same Breath, I can tell you this...In the middle of a game if any Coach Slapped my kid in the Face I would be in Prison...Their is a time to do things and a time Not to. And That is not one of them. Practice or behind closed doors is one thing, but no way in the middle of the game. It embarrasses the University, The kid, The coach, The parents, The Conference, etc.... Their is no place in the game for that type of Behavior.... At a Respectful University he would have been gone long ago...The chair would have been the first and last warning, then the next time Gone...or when he Cussed out the Media, School President, etc.... Coach Knight Doesn't respect himself by the way he acts in public and it is amazing how he expects his players to act any different.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Excellent argument. I never saw him slap a kid. He got in a kids face and got too close hitting him. It was not an intentional headbutt. He was pointing into a kids chest and got too close again. Its not like he took a kid out and cold cocked him. How many football coaches have you seen grab a kid by the face mask to get his attention, is that wrong too? One of the last issues at IU was about what happened at a practice. As you said, practice and behind closed doors is another issue.

The chair incident is definately over the top, but is that where the line is? John Thompson used to get as close as possible to refs in an effort to intimidate them. Coach K works on officials constantly. You should hear Calhoun during a game, he completely verbally abuses his kids. He calls them "useless" and the amount of f bombs he uses is over 40.

This was never an issue growing up, it only became an issue as we became more PC. As far as cussing out the media, I dont blame him one bit. There are too many "journalists" more interested in their name than the true story.

The General

It embarrasses the University, The kid, The coach, The parents, The Conference, etc....

dirty, All of the above mentioned in the case you are referring said publicly they had no problem with it. Why should you, me or anyone else?

dirty

EOG Master

He slapped a TT Kid a few weeks ago...got brushed under the rug.... The problem at practice at IU would have went away as well when he got fired if he wouldn't have Cussed that student out in front of everyone in the lobby of the Gym the next day as well...The man is a loose cannon... I agree with the Media...But the Universities control who gets media passes...the self serving ones, just weed them out... On court with officials is free game...the Officials control that with Tech's... You don't see Coach K Humiliating himself and Duke by Cussing out the media....he ignores the stupid ones.... Working the officials is part of it... Verbal abuse is fine as well as I believe it creates thick skin, but at the same time Calhoun and others Build the kids up when they do well also.... When it gets to Slapping kids, Poking them in the Chest, Choking kids, etc... it is time to move on.... In closed doors and the kid is a smartass or something then fine... he gets what he deserves... In a game if he is a smartass you can't Touch him.... Bench his ass then take it up in the locker room with him

dirty

EOG Master

dirty, All of the above mentioned in the case you are referring said publicly they had no problem with it. Why should you, me or anyone else?

Must just be the raisin' I reckon....Cause I was Taught to always carry yourself well in Public and to never embarass #1 yourself, #2 who you are working for/representing, and never embarras your Family... and Coach Knight does this with Regularity. My Daddy would still Kick my ass today IF I acted like he does... Makes me more proud than ever to be from the South when I see these Jackasses on TV showing their Asses

The General

We will have to agree to disagree as most of Coach Knights peers (Vitale, Thompson, Coach K, Smith, former players, etc. etc. etc.) state often that we indeed do need many more Coach Knights in society.

dirty

EOG Master

I am Not saying that at all General...I agree totally. But their is a way to do it and a way not to...and in Public is not the way... Coack K is just like him, but he Carries himself in Public like he is supposed to. Not acting like a Horses ass at every Turn

The General

Coach does it his way. Using Neil Reid As an example, pure Sissie and should have been majoring in basket weaving and dance classes.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

anytime you have a strong personality like Coach, who doesnt care what others think about him, then most will think the worst....

He does not care about appearances, or who he pisses off, and people dont like that....he does it his way, if u dont like it, then hit the road.....

there are very few like him....

with that being said, i would venture a guess, that almost everything bad coach has done, many other coaches have done as well, you just dont hear about it, cuz they arent under the microscope, and they dont draw attention to themselves....

The chair incident was bad, i agree, that was uncalled for...

The discipline, i have no problem with...if u cant handle it, dont play for him....

Neil Reed, enough said....he ended up playing for daddy, so it worked out...

One thing that always gets lost in the arguments, is all the "good" things coach has done as well.....

When he was here in Indiana, you could hardly have a charity event, golf outing, etc, that he DIDNT show up for, and help raise money for....

Kids that played for him, came out better players, better people, in the long run...that says alot...

He is not without mistakes, but his positives have outweighed the negatives.....

Just ask anyone here, we would take him back in a heartbeat....that says alot