Bank Called me this morning

BigDaddy

EOG Master
i have 3 checks that were red flagged? i deposited 3 checks this week 2 from betjam and 1 from thegreek and all 3 are on hold until cleared does anyone know how long it takes to clear? the 2 from betjam are jamaican bank the 1 from greek has solidpay on it i thought they stopped doing business with US will those checks go thru?

thanks for any info

Re: Bank Called me this morning

Im surprised at no replies yet BD..This could evolve into a huge problem..I mean..Why were they red flagged?..Could the next thing they say is they are from a SB and have been declined?..Dont like the sound of this..Never had a check red flagged..Hope it works out-Jojo

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Exact reason why I don't like checks.. I prefer to get payouts from westernunion or moneygram...

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

I hope it is nothing worse than a standard 5-7 day hold until the check clears the bank.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

I wouldnt think this would fall into the Anti Gamibling Legislation as that deals with processing credit card transactions. I dont know if it says anything regarding checks. They may have held them due to the size if they were for a good deal of money.

stump

EOG Veteran

The bank can place an extended hold on a check for a variety of reasons. they would have to disclose it to you in writing, and it can take up to 15 days

The General

I do find it odd that they called you instead of just telling you when you deposited, assuming you did so in person.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

Im surprised at no replies yet BD..This could evolve into a huge problem..I mean..Why were they red flagged?..Could the next thing they say is they are from a SB and have been declined?..Dont like the sound of this..Never had a check red flagged..Hope it works out-Jojo

i usually deposit all my checks with no problems but today she calls and says the 3 checks i deposited this week the funds are on hold until they clear something about suspicous activity she wanted to know where the checks came from i said i had accounts (didnt specify what type of accounts just said i had accounts)and the checks are good she said well the funds are on hold until checks clear (the funds previously showed in my balance now they dont so she did remove the amounts of the 3 checks) it was odd to them getting checks from 2 different locations outside the US i guess

stump

EOG Veteran

Typically, the teller will not know. It will not get flagged until it goes to processing. Then the disclosures will be sent, and of course this all varies based on the size and sophistication of your bank

BigDaddy

EOG Master

I do find it odd that they called you instead of just telling you when you deposited, assuming you did so in person.

i did deposit in person with no problems just like always it wasnt until today when she phoned

The General

I deal with this situation on a monthly basis and they always tell me upfront that it will be 5-7 days for out of state checks to clear.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

Typically, the teller will not know. It will not get flagged until it goes to processing. Then the disclosures will be sent, and of course this all varies based on the size and sophistication of your bank

what is a disclosure?

BigDaddy

EOG Master

I deal with this situation on a monthly basis and they always tell me upfront that it will be 5-7 days for out of state checks to clear.

thats good to hear thats the kind of info i wanted on here without talking to the lady anymore than i had to i didnt want to sound upset on the phone i told her it was fine they will clear im sure of that i dont need the funds anyways so i can wait until they clear i thought if i say that i will sound like its ok

stump

EOG Veteran

Legal paperwork banks need to send you if they put an extended hold on a deposit

stump

EOG Veteran

ok, i hope that its the normal 5-7 days, it would be good news for all of us

Iceman

EOG Addicted

I had a simliar situatuion last Friday with a check from the Greek and the told me they had to send it somewhere(didn't catch wher because I was going thru the drive thru and speaker was mumbled) and it was 8 week process. I then told the teller I wanted to speak to supervisior and said this was a screwed up situation and I would be quitting there bank if this would be a problem and to send my checks back to me, she then said that it was okay this time but basically made it sound like they would stop the next one.

A poster at the Rx said that the Greek checks are alerted because they don't have 9 numbers or something like that on the bottom of them or however how many numbers they are suppose to have and the teller must have noticied. I haven't really checked into it but I took my next check form another book to my other bank and they depositied it. Looks like another curveball and now a new fear for me.

tenman

EOG Senior Member

I deposied a check from BetJam last Saturday and decided to deposit through the ATM machine instead of in person. It cleared without any problems on Tuesday of this week. My bank is CharterOne here in Michigan.

sakras

EOG Dedicated

My bank told me that it takes up to 20 business days for checks outside of Canada to clear.
Hope this helps.

Monte

EOG Member

I deposied a check from BetJam last Saturday and decided to deposit through the ATM machine instead of in person. It cleared without any problems on Tuesday of this week. My bank is CharterOne here in Michigan.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you deposit a check through an ATM machine?

Books Worst Enemy

EOG Addicted

Three years ago, before I started using Neteller, I posted up with 3 sports books via cashiers checks (FedEx), all for 5 figure balances.

I stopped gambling mid-season and requested a payout from all three. Two paid promptly, but Guardian said they had to make sure the check had cleared before they would pay. It was around 6 weeks. I called my bank, Bank One, and they did confirm that international checks can take over 6 weeks to clear.

Guardian finally paid me and there were no problems. But from the time I requested a payout until they finally confirmed that my check cleared, it was an extra week or so.

Looking back, I got really lucky because I had over $40K at Wagermall (aka BetOnSports) and I was fortunate enough to not get stiffed.

Later,
Books Worst Enemy

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Boys, these checks were not flagged because they were checks from foreign accounts - they were flagged and put on hold because the bank knows they are coming from gambling accounts - hence the sucspicious activity - it is only a matter a hours before banks refuse these checks.

michael777

EOG Dedicated

This may be a stupid question, but how do you deposit a check through an ATM machine?
you put your bankcard in the machine,enter your pin,hit deposit,there will be a slot that opens where you put your envelope in with your check in it,get your card and receipt,drive away happy :+excited-

joe blow

EOG Addicted

Please keep us posted,because i have a feeling that Seymour is right...tks

and GL>>>

Dell Dude

EOG Master

I can't wait until I open up a new checking account and get a five (or even six) figure check from The Greek. Going to tell them ware it is from and I promise you if they refuse to cash it I will finally make good on my tiresome threats to "lawyer up". Not playing games with these people. If and when I win, that's my money and it had better be cashed...

Perlicco

EOG Member

The same thing happened to me late last year. There was a 2 - 3 week hold on a check that I deposited. My understanding was that the check was from Amsterdam and that the bank had to comply with international standards.

It was a scary 2 - 3 weeks for me.

Hope it all works out for you.

Never answer the phone unless you know it is someone you want to talk with.

Woody

EOG Veteran

I believe all the "foreign" checks I have ever received all had the name of a correspondent bank, usually in New York, through which they cleared. This should only take a few days and not weeks.

If you have been red-flagged I would assume a suspicious activity report has been filed by the bank spies and hope that your tax situation is beyond reproach.

Finally the UIGEA prohibits you from funding "illegal gaming" but has NO language relating to receiving funds. Of course I would not expect the average bank employee to know this.

brad8056

EOG Member

thats sucks man:hung Im just scared im going to have to find a bookie in town if all this crap keeps up. Good luck getting your cash

you put your bankcard in the machine,enter your pin,hit deposit,there will be a slot that opens where you put your envelope in with your check in it,get your card and receipt,drive away happy :+excited-
:+textinb3
I guess some folks are not up to date on modern
technology