Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

dirty

EOG Master
<tt><tt><tt> Tue Jan 30 2007 10:02:32 ET

Two powerful new books say today?s global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.

Singer and Avery note that most of the earth?s recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth?s last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.

Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth?s temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth?s temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can?t accurately register cloud effects.

The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark?s team mimicked the chemistry of earth?s atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic droplets?cloud seeds?started floating through the chamber.

?We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei,? says Svensmark.

The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun?s irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth?s temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth?s atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.

Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.
</tt>
</tt>
</tt>

THEONE

EOG Senior Member
Re: Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

that just cannot be true.

frank and ynot and mr mercer swear.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated
Re: Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

Yea and today we learned that the White House has been stonewalling congress on documents which show their efforts to paint global warming as bs when they knew better. Their own scientists tried to tell bush about global warming and the white house censored release of the reports from public or congress. Now the white house is trying to shit can the reports. Hey man this whole subject is controlled by the politcal agenda of the white house which is to protect its polluting friends profits. But hey why don't you tell us again how the melting glaciers dont add to volume of water. In any event bush didn't want the public to get the real info. He'd prefer the kind of bullshit stuff you like to cite. I know you'll be rejecting the findings of the world's best sicentists on the matter to be released this friday. Like I said this place is nothing but a home for right wing crack pots and your posts continually prove it.

Last edited:

dirty

EOG Master

Frank.....Again... for the 10, 000 time.... Noone is denying the earth is getting warmer....The above is just as FActual and as Anything Your "Worlds Best" Scientists can come up with...... There is Not one Fact out there that you can show me...Or anyone else for that matter... As I have been asking for Months....That proves that Humans and Not the earth's Natural Weather Cycle is not causing this warming....

PLEASE FRANK END THIS DEBATE NOW!!!!! YOU SAY IT IS FACT HUMANS CAUSE GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! SHOW THE PROOF!!!!!!!!!! AND NOT SOME THEORIES FLOATING AROUND...HARDCORE FACT!!!!!

THE WEATHER ALREADY HAS FACT ON ITS SIDE AS EVIDENCED BY THE MANY TIMES THIS EARTH HAS BEEN EITHER COVERED BY ICE, COVERED IN SAND, BEEN COVERED IN VEGETATION OVER ITS ENTIRE SURFACE, ETC.... THAT IS PROOF FRANK.... GEOLOGY AND SCIENCE THAT YOU THINK ONLY THE CHINESE CAN DO NOW HAVE PROVEN THIS TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Frank.....Again... for the 10, 000 time.... Noone is denying the earth is getting warmer....The above is just as FActual and as Anything Your "Worlds Best" Scientists can come up with...... There is Not one Fact out there that you can show me...Or anyone else for that matter... As I have been asking for Months....That proves that Humans and Not the earth's Natural Weather Cycle is not causing this warming....

PLEASE FRANK END THIS DEBATE NOW!!!!! YOU SAY IT IS FACT HUMANS CAUSE GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! SHOW THE PROOF!!!!!!!!!! AND NOT SOME THEORIES FLOATING AROUND...HARDCORE FACT!!!!!

THE WEATHER ALREADY HAS FACT ON ITS SIDE AS EVIDENCED BY THE MANY TIMES THIS EARTH HAS BEEN EITHER COVERED BY ICE, COVERED IN SAND, BEEN COVERED IN VEGETATION OVER ITS ENTIRE SURFACE, ETC.... THAT IS PROOF FRANK.... GEOLOGY AND SCIENCE THAT YOU THINK ONLY THE CHINESE CAN DO NOW HAVE PROVEN THIS TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME

The proof is in the work of the world's best scientists on the subject. As you know they are meeting right now and will be releasing their report Friday. And I predict you will still be denying man's invoovement in all of this and further the Bush white house's attempts to hide the truth. I mean why do you think they have censored the reports of government scientists? Man you guys ain't nothing but right wing crack pots. You've been bombarded with petrol propoganda for more than twenty years on the subject and you've bought it hook line and sinker so can hardly expect you to admit you have been mislead. It's not the way of right wing crackpots who deem Senators Hagel and Webb extreme lefties as they oppose bush war plans. Yea Hagel and Webb fringe lefties.

dirty

EOG Master

again you bring 2 Senators into the argument that don't belong.... but what is it to you to stay on topic... all you know how to do is change the subject and call eveyone that does not blame Bush for everything wrong in the History of the world right wing crackpots....

again...all that will be released on Friday is More Theories on what is causing it.... When you get Proof please show it... Weather, Ice Ages, etc... have already proven that Humans are not the Reason for Global warming... do we have an affect yes... no one has denied that EVER!!! but it is very small....

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i guess i have to find 2 books that say man is responsible for the acceleration of global warming.

The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth

by Tim Flannery

Sometime this century the day will arrive when the human influence on the climate will overwhelm all other natural factors. Over the past decade, the world has seen the most powerful El Niсo ever recorded, the most devastating hurricane in two hundred years, the hottest European summer on record, and one of the worst storm seasons ever experienced in Florida. With one out of every five living things on this planet committed to extinction by the levels of greenhouse gases that will accumulate in the next few decades, we are reaching a global climatic tipping point. The Weather Makers is both an urgent warning and a call to arms, outlining the history of climate change, how it will unfold over the next century, and what we can do to prevent a cataclysmic future. Along with a riveting history of climate change, Tim Flannery offers specific suggestions for action for both lawmakers and individuals, from investing in renewable power sources like wind, solar, and geothermal energy, to offering an action plan with steps each and every one of us can take right now to reduce deadly CO2 emissions by as much as 70 percent.

Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change

by Elizabeth Kolbert

Expanding her three-part New Yorker series, journalist Elizabeth Kolbert examines the immediate and far-reaching consequences of global warming, drawing on history and cutting-edge science and discussing the contentious political debate surrounding the issue. Anyone familiar with Kolbert's work knows how thoughtful and engagingly accessible her writing is. In this blend of hard science, impeccable research, and superb storytelling, she advances her arguments in powerful, persuasive prose -- leading us to the inescapable conclusion that we will pay dearly, even fatally, if we do not take drastic measures now to save our planet from this imminent, pervasive threat.
Americans have been warned since the late 1970s that the buildup of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere threatens to melt the polar ice sheets and irreversibly change our climate. With little done since then to alter this dangerous path, the world has reached a critical threshold. By the end of the century, it will likely be hotter than at any point in the last two million years, and the sweeping consequences of this change will determine the future of life on earth for generations to come.
Taking listeners from the melting Alaskan permafrost to storm-torn New Orleans, acclaimed journalist Elizabeth Kolbert approaches this monumental problem from every angle. She interviews researchers and environmentalists, explains the science, draws frightening parallels to lost civilizations and presents the moving tales of people who are watching their worlds disappear. Growing out of an award-winning three-part series for the New Yorker, Field Notes from a Catastrophe brings the environment into the consciousness of the American people and asks what, if anything, can be done to save our planet.

dirty

EOG Master

Exactly Bob... They are all Theories...But the man is causing it is a new one with No History Behind it at all....as us producing co2 at this rate, blah, blah, blah has nothing to refer to.... We do know for a fact that Weather has changed Many Many times over the entire Globe...and Man didn't cause it... Nature runs its course and replenishes itself... It has been proven over and over that is the case

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

Exactly Bob... They are all Theories...But the man is causing it is a new one with No History Behind it at all....as us producing co2 at this rate, blah, blah, blah has nothing to refer to.... We do know for a fact that Weather has changed Many Many times over the entire Globe...and Man didn't cause it... Nature runs its course and replenishes itself... It has been proven over and over that is the case

we can argue 'til we're blue in the face, and i don't think either of us is going to change our positions. we might have to call this one a draw.

dirty

EOG Master

10 PM EST on Channel 276 on DTV The National Geographic Channel has a special on Coral reefs and global warming tomorrow night....Looks pretty interesting.... says everyone is way off base...

If there are no facts, then why is the government hell bent on keeping it that way?

Scientists: Government doctored our climate work

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 BY J. SCOTT ORR
STAR-LEDGER WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- A leading scientist told a House committee yesterday that "political interference is harming federal science and threatening the health and safety of Americans," and the committee chairman said the Bush White House has been misleading the public on the dangers of global warming.

"Political interference with the work of federal scientists threatens the quality and integrity of (federal) policies," said Francesca Grifo, director of the Union of Concerned Scientists' Scientific Integrity Program.

According to a UCS survey whose findings were presented to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, more than 40 percent of the 279 scientists who responded said their work had been edited to more closely reflect the administration's position on climate change.

"No scientist should ever encounter any of the various types of political interference described in our survey questions," Grifo told the committee, which is looking at the government's response to climate change.

The panel chairman, Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), said he has seen evidence the administration has been trying to mislead the public on global warming.
"We know that the White House possesses documents that contain evidence of an attempt by senior administration officials to mislead the public by injecting doubt into the science of global warming and minimizing the potential dangers," he said.

Waxman demanded that the documents be turned over to his committee. He said he has been rebuffed in his efforts so far.

"The committee isn't trying to obtain state secrets or documents that could affect our immediate national security. We are simply seeking answers to whether the White House's political staff is inappropriately censoring impartial government scientists," he said.

Most scientists believe global warming is caused by greenhouse gases, like carbon dioxide from vehicles and industrial sources, that keep heat from the sun trapped in the atmosphere.

President Bush acknowledged the existence of climate change in his Jan. 23 State of the Union address, though he did not use the term "global warming."

His administration has rejected proposals to place new restrictions on greenhouse gases, calling the measures too costly.

According to the report issued yesterday by the UCS and the Government Accountability Project, 46 percent of respondents said they were pressured to eliminate the words "climate change," "global warming" or similar terms from communications, and 43 percent said their work was edited or otherwise altered in a way that changed their findings.

Thirty-seven percent of respondents said government officials misrepresented their findings, and 25 percent said they had seen scientists object to or remove themselves from projects because of pressure to change scientific findings.

The survey also found that the scientists who reported the most interference were those working on the most politically sensitive issues: 78 percent of researchers dealing with controversial topics like global warming reported inappropriate interference. Twenty-seven percent of that group experienced such incidents six or more times in the past five years.

In all, the survey contacted more than 1,600 scientists from seven federal agencies. Less than a fifth of them responded.

'OVERARCHING' PROBLEM
Rick Piltz, director of climate science at the Government Accountability Project, worked on climate research projects for years alongside scientists from several federal agencies that produced, among other things, mandated annual reports to Congress on climate change. He quit the program in protest in 2005.

"I came to the conclusion that politicization of climate science communication by the current administration was undermining the credibility and integrity of the (program) in its relationship to the research community, to program managers, to policymakers, and to the public interest," he told the committee yesterday.

In a parting memo to the program, Piltz cited one "overarching" problem: "that the administration was acting to impede forthright communication of the state of climate science and its implications for society."

Last month, experts from both sides of the debate over climate change told a Senate panel that research should not be suppressed or edited to meet political goals.

During that session, scientists were asked specifically about research by meteorologist Richard Wetherald of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration branch lab near Princeton, who said his work was hushed because it contradicted the administration position on global warming.

Wetherald and several of his colleagues at NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory in Plainsboro found that intense weather events, such as droughts and floods, are probably on the increase and some recent global climate changes may be irreversible.

Wetherald said yesterday he was not surprised by the results of the UCS report.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) {document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/star_ledger/nt/ntop/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>');}--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> </NOSCRIPT>"I would've been surprised if the results were different," he said. "The reason I'm not surprised is because I know what my own experience has been. I haven't had trouble with NOAA administration itself. It seemed to occur at a higher level, at the Department of Commerce.

"Our labs are federally funded, meaning they're publicly funded by taxpayers. They pay for our machines, for our experiments, and I feel strongly that the public has a right to know about our research. That's been the most upsetting thing for all of us. But I have hope now things will change.

"We've gone through rough times. It hasn't been easy. This (global warming) is not a popular subject with this administration. ... I hope this will make a difference.

"At least the Bush administration now acknowledges climate change. They didn't for five years."

The hearing came just three days before the expected release of a U.N. report on climate change that is expected to confirm what most scientists believe, that global warming is continuing and that humans are to blame.

Staff writer Amy Ellis Nutt contributed to this report. J. Scott Orr may be reached at sorr@starledger.com.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

The fucking nerve of those democrats actually exercising their consitutional responsilities of congressional oversight. Don't they know this is a dictatorship?

dirty

EOG Master

JOe show me the proof that Global Temperature change is caused solely by Humans.... I keep asking this question and I never get a answer from anyone.... Please answer the question.... show the proof .... FACT proof not theory..... I am still waiting

LOL...

Show me PROOF that the Earth is round. You cannot do it.

Show me PROOF that global temperature change is NOT caused by humans. FACT not theory.

dirty, the Emperor does not have a new set of clothes, he is NAKED!

If the case is so compelling, then why has the US government stifled its own scientists?

"The survey also found that the scientists who reported the most interference were those working on the most politically sensitive issues: 78 percent of researchers dealing with controversial topics like global warming reported inappropriate interference. Twenty-seven percent of that group experienced such incidents six or more times in the past five years."

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

Dirty worships the fat and greedy. He was sold a bill of goods years ago and as Dylan wrote, circa 1965, "He's only a pawn in their game."

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

He also thinks he's much smarter than he is.