Why no neteller noise?

sean1

EOG Dedicated
I don't get it. When BOS dissapeared, there were 5 posts every day.

Neteller, likely holding multiple times more money, is now blatantly refusing to pay US customers.

I only have $700 there (An amount I somehow got stuck) so I can't really complain too much, but it is still blatant theft. They are sitting on our money collecting our interest.

There are plenty of plausible reasons why the company has not or can not pay, but Neteller's silence is pathetic.

Additionally, I can think of many ways Neteller could pay if they wanted to do so.

They could have not stopped p2p transfers. These are not illegal.

They could send checks drawn on a non US (UK) bank. US banks will deposit checks in other currencies and convert.

They could EFT to non US banks, but they refuse this as well.

But most importantly, they need to make a statement.

Silence is killing their credibility. I would advocate that those in other countries avoid Neteller at this time - send them the strong message that credibility is across the board.

If I was their board, I would sleep with an eye open. They are holding a lot of money that belongs to a lot of people who shoot first and ask questions later. With pinnacle going down a few days prior, I imagine a good deal of organized crime who laid off dollars has money stuck in Neteller.

Finally, why has the UK banking authorities done nothing? If Citibank refused withdrawals to everyone in the UK for 3 weeks, I would like to think the Fed Reserve or whoever regulates Citibank would make a statement.

-Sean

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Re: Why no neteller noise?

It is a little baffling to me as well. I have a few people close by who have money tied up, but they are saying very little nor complaining loudly. It has crossed my mind also as to why there is not more complaining. After all, some people seem to live for complaining.

I have a US NT account because I opened it while in the US doing some bizness. I spoke w/ NT a couple days ago RE: switching this account to a Canadian one since I found out this is an option to get some of $$ out there (only about $1500ish) and was told via online chat the following:

You will need to send in a piece of government issued id (Canadian Passport, Drivers license.) As well as a Utility Bill at your home address.

Please email those documents to certifyme@neteller.com

Once verified then your account will be a Canadian one.

Please allow 3-7 business days after the documents have been received to have a active account.

You can update your address after we have received the documents.

You will need to log into your NETELLER account and change your mailing address.

I didn't have any money in there or I'd be making major noise. If this was earlier in the year before BoS. I'd be super angry. I got out after BoS went down since I didn't wanna get stuck again.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Its seems people dont realize that having their founders arrested is more important to them than releasing funds to individuals. I would do the exact same thing if I was Neteller. I would not send a dime to anyone in the US until I was ordered to by the US DOJ, or I was assured by the US that doing this would not be considered illegal (either money laundering or not complying with new Internet Gambling law).

It seems that the major reason that noone is screaming is because Neteller has not closed its doors and fired anyone. They have not taken your money and ran with it, instead they are being counseled by their attorneys as to what that can and cannot do. Any company that is under some sort of indictment has a "gag rule" for ALL its employees. That is why you havent heard anything.

I believe you all will be paid by Neteller eventually, but you will probably have to wait until the legal process is over, which could be in a few years.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

I probably should not say this too loudly, but Ontario makes it very easy for US citizens to get drivers licenses. You simply must sign a form that you have driven with a US license for over 1 year. I do not know the cost, but I do know if I had a bunch of money in there....

Sean

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

If I was their board, I would sleep with an eye open. They are holding a lot of money that belongs to a lot of people who shoot first and ask questions later. With pinnacle going down a few days prior, I imagine a good deal of organized crime who laid off dollars has money stuck in Neteller.-sean

So you are saying that they ARE money launderers and the DOJ is right! Why else would organized crime be using them?

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Well you have to use some assuming..

It is reasonably well assumed that a number of local bookies are involved with organized crime or protected by organized crime.

It is also assumed that a number of bookies laid off with Pinnacle.

Given that Pinnacle folded just before neteller, deduction of the above tells you it is likely some people without the best of records may have money tied up at NT.

I did not say anyone was laundering...

Sean

patswin

EOG Veteran

The big problem I have with them is they are saying NOTHING about what is happening with the funds. They should at least make a press release or a statement about what is happening to reassure those with funds that they will be paid in xxx days or months. But to say nothing but your funds are safe in a trust fund is totally wrong. The more they stay silent and the more rumors float around will make things worse.

BettorHand

EOG Member

Neteller, likely holding multiple times more money, is now blatantly refusing to pay US customers.

I only have $700 there (An amount I somehow got stuck) so I can't really complain too much, but it is still blatant theft. They are sitting on our money collecting our interest.

There are plenty of plausible reasons why the company has not or can not pay, but Neteller's silence is pathetic.

Additionally, I can think of many ways Neteller could pay if they wanted to do so.

They could send checks drawn on a non US (UK) bank. US banks will deposit checks in other currencies and convert.

Silence is killing their credibility. I would advocate that those in other countries avoid Neteller at this time - send them the strong message that credibility is across the board.

If I was their board, I would sleep with an eye open. They are holding a lot of money that belongs to a lot of people who shoot first and ask questions later. With pinnacle going down a few days prior, I imagine a good deal of organized crime who laid off dollars has money stuck in Neteller.

Finally, why has the UK banking authorities done nothing? If Citibank refused withdrawals to everyone in the UK for 3 weeks, I would like to think the Fed Reserve or whoever regulates Citibank would make a statement.

-Sean

Wow, that's quite sensationalist!
You have all the answers, fantastic!

So it really is that simple for them to send us our money huh?
UK banks would allow them to do that no problem huh?

Ever occur to you that they might be constrained by reasons beyond their control and that they are unable to comment given the legal situation?

Of course not, you'd rather sensationalize and suggest very creative conspiracy theories...

We're all waiting for our money buddy, but I doubt it's that simple. Try think things through a bit more before you go off on a tangent.

Oh,....and the irony of you wanting non Americans to stop using these neteller guys is that if that where to happen, their business would suffer, and as a result we'd have even less chance of getting our money back....duh!

Perhpas you should shutup and be patient like the rest of us.

BettorHand

EOG Member

Its seems people dont realize that having their founders arrested is more important to them than releasing funds to individuals. I would do the exact same thing if I was Neteller. I would not send a dime to anyone in the US until I was ordered to by the US DOJ, or I was assured by the US that doing this would not be considered illegal (either money laundering or not complying with new Internet Gambling law).

It seems that the major reason that noone is screaming is because Neteller has not closed its doors and fired anyone. They have not taken your money and ran with it, instead they are being counseled by their attorneys as to what that can and cannot do. Any company that is under some sort of indictment has a "gag rule" for ALL its employees. That is why you havent heard anything.

I believe you all will be paid by Neteller eventually, but you will probably have to wait until the legal process is over, which could be in a few years.

Well said Nick!
My first time on this board but you seem like the only one who's level headed on here and who has a bit of common sense or that understands legal procedure.

I'm holding out that I will get my money eventually and I wont go along with Sean's sensationalist garbage.

akillies

EOG Veteran

of course neteller was money laundering. That has nothing to do with their ability to refund our money. Neteller is under no indictment. they have no plausible excuse for not returning our money, as that is not money laundering and as listed above methods are available. Ceasing illegal activities does not preclude them from punishment on past activities, and again paying out customers funds back to the customers is in no way illegal.

BettorHand

EOG Member

of course neteller was money laundering. That has nothing to do with their ability to refund our money. Neteller is under no indictment. they have no plausible excuse for not returning our money, as that is not money laundering and as listed above methods are available. Ceasing illegal activities does not preclude them from punishment on past activities, and again paying out customers funds back to the customers is in no way illegal.

And how exactly should they refund us our money Einstein?

I guess you haven't been following the news lately...try reading:
US Government Seizes Customer Funds

Clearly they are constrained.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Wow, that's quite sensationalist!
You have all the answers, fantastic!

I don't think I posted answers - moron.

So it really is that simple for them to send us our money huh?

Yes it is. They can write checks on a UK bank. The UK finds gambling to be legal.

Further, they can allow people to accept EFTs at non US banks.

They are able to send money to non US users, so clearly the above two would be options if THEY WANTED to pay.

UK banks would allow them to do that no problem huh?

Why would they? They are able to send checks everywhere else in the world.

Ever occur to you that they might be constrained by reasons beyond their control and that they are unable to comment given the legal situation?

No such thing. A company can always comment and is likely bound by UK law to file an update. They can choose not to comment, but the FBI does not call a UK company and have the ability to make them stay quiet.

Oh,....and the irony of you wanting non Americans to stop using these neteller guys is that if that where to happen, their business would suffer, and as a result we'd have even less chance of getting our money back....duh!

I don't care about the money I have there. I care about the fact that Neteller can now NOT be trusted.

Perhpas you should shutup and be patient like the rest of us.

Perhaps you should fuck off. You sound a bit upset. Guess they got you for a good chunk of change.

MAYBE Neteller is constrained. None of us know, but if they are, they should release a statement that the US DOJ or FBI or whoever is holding ____ amount of their funds and this is why they have not made payouts. Put the burden on the government. Until Neteller makes a statement, they are the thieves.

Sean

BettorHand

EOG Member

"I don't think I posted answers - moron."

I guess the part about you saying they could 'simply' post checks from UK banks or issuing EFT's from non-US banks wasn't you posting the answers then huh?

"Yes it is. They can write checks on a UK bank. The UK finds gambling to be legal."

Oh is that right?
So tell me Sean, how intimate is your knowledge of the UK financial services industry?

Wasn't there something in the media recently about UK banks being supoened by the US government? Are you really that naive to think it's that cut-and-dry that UK banks would simply allow the neteller to send checks out for US gambling transactions?

Do you really believe that, because if you're do you're more ignorant than I thought.

Why don't you call up a bank in mother England and ask them if they wouldn't mind you sending checks to gamblers in America. See what they say genius.

"Further, they can allow people to accept EFTs at non US banks."

Again, you make stupid assumptions that banks would have no issues with breaking international laws. I would imagine the banks want to wash their hands of this and have no dealings with neteller or anyone else in this industry.

You however would assume otherwise...

"They are able to send money to non US users, so clearly the above two would be options if THEY WANTED to pay."

Duh....because non US users aren't breaking any laws and by way of this netteller isn't breaking any laws. Banks have no problems with LEGAL transactions. It doesn't matter if it's not law in england, banks do NOT want to break laws in other countries!

Geddit...?????

"Why would they? They are able to send checks everywhere else in the world."

See the above...but again I suspect this point will be lost on you.

"No such thing. A company can always comment and is likely bound by UK law to file an update."

Yes they can comment and from what I've seen on their website they make periodic updates when they have new information. What do you want, an update every 6 hours saying "We have no updates"...? I've read their site and they have information in their investor section. Perhaps you should read it. I've tried calling their call centre and they dont have much information either. Guess why? Because they probably dont have answers yet. Duh.

"They can choose not to comment, but the FBI does not call a UK company and have the ability to make them stay quiet."

Um....our government feels it has jurisdiction over just about anyone, any company and in any country in the world. Ever heard of something called the Patriot Act? You should read about it...if you think for a second that the US gov doesn't have balls to seize assets in another country you're very mistaken. And did it ever cross your mind that the reason these guys are keeping quiet is because they're bound to?

"I don't care about the money I have there. I care about the fact that Neteller can now NOT be trusted."

Our government cannot be trusted buddy. Perhaps you should open your eyes and look at this from a different angle.

"Perhaps you should fuck off. You sound a bit upset. Guess they got you for a good chunk of change."

Yes I do have a lot of money tied up, but unlike you I'm not being melodramatic or irrational about the situation. You should try thinking things through for a change.

"MAYBE Neteller is constrained. None of us know, but if they are, they should release a statement that the US DOJ or FBI or whoever is holding ____ amount of their funds and this is why they have not made payouts. Put the burden on the government. Until Neteller makes a statement, they are the thieves."

Umm....think about that for a second. Think if you where in the shoes of the DOJ or FBI and then consider what you might do if they did that. If you were more sensible in your thought process you might consider that they're trying to work on a solution that satisfies everyone i.e. our government, us as the disenfranchised players, and them as a company.

kbhirsch

EOG Addicted

Sean: I could not agree with you more. I am astounded that anyone from any country would continue to use Neteller given what they are doing with U.S. money coupled with the fact that they will not provide any information as to the status of the funds. I've got $500 in there right now. Luckily I transferred another $500 out about a week before all of this happened.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

-Sean

sean i thought you were smarter than that to leave $700 behind and not get it out:+clueless or did you run out of time using the debit card

sean1

EOG Dedicated

The $700 was an unrequested withdrawal. Such is life. I've got another $500 there in an acct that does not exist... Money sent to a different email address that was a very old closed NT account... Anyways, that doesnt matter. I am very fortunate to have timed my exit for Jan 1st leaving only money at the greek that is now being wired to me...

-Sean

BigDaddy

EOG Master

The $700 was an unrequested withdrawal. Such is life.

-Sean

figured anyways i enjoy reading your updates on all the forums:cheers thegreek and jam are the only books i would keep my money in right now IMHO

sean1

EOG Dedicated

"I don't think I posted answers - moron."

I guess the part about you saying they could 'simply' post checks from UK banks or issuing EFT's from non-US banks wasn't you posting the answers then huh?

I would call them suggestions - not answers.

"Yes it is. They can write checks on a UK bank. The UK finds gambling to be legal."

Oh is that right?
So tell me Sean, how intimate is your knowledge of the UK financial services industry?

I would not call it intimate. Familar would be a better word.

Wasn't there something in the media recently about UK banks being supoened by the US government?

Yes.

Are you really that naive to think it's that cut-and-dry that UK banks would simply allow the neteller to send checks out for US gambling transactions?

Have you heard of any of these UK banks sending in the records? I have not.

Additionally, all 4 UK banks subpoenoed were ones with large US operations. There are many many banks around the world (UK included) that do not have any US operations and couldnt give a flying fuck what the DOJ thinks.

"Further, they can allow people to accept EFTs at non US banks."

Again, you make stupid assumptions that banks would have no issues with breaking international laws. I would imagine the banks want to wash their hands of this and have no dealings with neteller or anyone else in this industry.

International laws? The only international laws I am aware of say gambling is legal. Please don't confuse US with international.

"They are able to send money to non US users, so clearly the above two would be options if THEY WANTED to pay."

Duh....because non US users aren't breaking any laws and by way of this netteller isn't breaking any laws. Banks have no problems with LEGAL transactions. It doesn't matter if it's not law in england, banks do NOT want to break laws in other countries!

If a user moves opens an account in Canada or the UK, no bank in the UK is breaking US law by transferring his funds to a bank in the UK or Canada.... Sorry. You are reaching...

"Why would they? They are able to send checks everywhere else in the world."

See the above...but again I suspect this point will be lost on you.

So you are going to tell me there are no UK banks that will allow neteller to write checks????? Give me a break. Sure, UBS may say no, but I am sure Franks bank of london would be happy to have the business. Many of these banks have no branches or possessions in the US and could care less about Uncle Sam.

"No such thing. A company can always comment and is likely bound by UK law to file an update."

Yes they can comment and from what I've seen on their website they make periodic updates when they have new information. What do you want, an update every 6 hours saying "We have no updates"...? I've read their site and they have information in their investor section. Perhaps you should read it. I've tried calling their call centre and they dont have much information either. Guess why? Because they probably dont have answers yet. Duh.

No. They have said we are working on withdrawals. They have made no comments about seizures and they refuse to answer direct questions.

"They can choose not to comment, but the FBI does not call a UK company and have the ability to make them stay quiet."

Um....our government feels it has jurisdiction over just about anyone, any company and in any country in the world. Ever heard of something called the Patriot Act? You should read about it...if you think for a second that the US gov doesn't have balls to seize assets in another country you're very mistaken. And did it ever cross your mind that the reason these guys are keeping quiet is because they're bound to?

Yes, I have looked over the Patriot ACt. Last i checked other countries decide whether or not to enforce our laws over there and most have said they will enforce the Patriot act vs TERRORISM.. I don't think the UK is allowing bank seizure over gambling. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. If the DOJ could show the UK that XXX account is related to a known terrorist, sure they will freeze it, but if the DOJ says we think these guys bet the pats, good luck...

The Patriot act is a US LAW and no the US does not have jurisdiction over the WORLD.

"I don't care about the money I have there. I care about the fact that Neteller can now NOT be trusted."

Our government cannot be trusted buddy. Perhaps you should open your eyes and look at this from a different angle.

No kidding. I don't trust them at all. That doesnt mean Neteller can not issue a statement:

"None of our funds have been confiscated. WE are working on finding ways for US customers to withdraw or the FBI has confiscated 20% of our funds."

If Interlac confiscated Citibank funds and UK users could not withdraw, how long do you think it would be before Citibank would issue a press release? Neteller is acting irresponsibly and is crushing their reputation.

"Perhaps you should fuck off. You sound a bit upset. Guess they got you for a good chunk of change."

Yes I do have a lot of money tied up, but unlike you I'm not being melodramatic or irrational about the situation. You should try thinking things through for a change.

Ok.. A company holding millions or billions of dollars and not providing any explanation is rational. You are right.

"MAYBE Neteller is constrained. None of us know, but if they are, they should release a statement that the US DOJ or FBI or whoever is holding ____ amount of their funds and this is why they have not made payouts. Put the burden on the government. Until Neteller makes a statement, they are the thieves."

Umm....think about that for a second. Think if you where in the shoes of the DOJ or FBI and then consider what you might do if they did that. If you were more sensible in your thought process you might consider that they're trying to work on a solution that satisfies everyone i.e. our government, us as the disenfranchised players, and them as a company.

If I ran Neteller and I had no plans to ever visit the US, I would politely tell the DOJ and FBI that they have no jurisdiction just as people like Hayden Ware and Calvin Ayre have told them. I would then find a solution to pay my US clients - well not really cause if I was in charge of neteller, you'd still be able to use neteller because if I opened a sportsbook or money transferring service and placed it offshore for a reason, I would have made the committment to living outside the US. Of course I have not made this choice, but if I had a working biz in ENgland, I would seek England's backing and keep running my business. I have a feeling if Afghanistan indicted Budweiser for making beer, Anheiser Busch would tell them to fuck off... I would do the same if I owned Neteller.

Sean

Come on people, lets calm down. Part of the problem is the way the US government gets the courts to be so compliant. The whole BOS is in contempt of court even though they never were officially served just shows what a farce it has become. If the US couldn't get its hands on a dime of NT's money, I am sure we would get paid. But that seems not to be the case. Further you damn well know the DOJ has thinly veiled threats against anyone who dares and works with an indicted company, or one that "could" be indicted as NT is. All these companies are realizing their nuts are being squeezed and if they try to move and do any more business the vise is just going to get tighter.

Yeah it sucks for everyone out there, but if the reality is the US hasn't seized that money yet then the chance remains people get paid. If they do something that gets some wacked out judge to follow the DOJ's orders and allows a seizure, many people are screwed and that money will never be available again to anyone but the US government.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

The contempt of court is downright funny.

BOS faces 20+ years for money laundering and 4.3 billion in unpaid taxes, but now they are facing contempt of court. Man they must be sweating it now.

The contempt of court was the DOJ's way of ending the case. You can't very well drop the indictment and the DOJ is sick of showing up... Thus they can now just leave it open ended as BOS is in contempt of court till they show up and now the paperwork can be filed and the case put away.

Sean

BettorHand

EOG Member

"I would call them suggestions - not answers."

How convenient huh Sean...tomato, tom-ato I say.

You clearly think it's a simple issue to solve, whereas it's obviously not. Common sense would dictate that as an organization wishing to survive they would not want to piss off the Sean's of the world and would therefore try pay us our money back. It's NOT in there interests to not do so. Doesn't this make sense to you?

"I would not call it intimate. Familar would be a better word."

I would call it 'clueless'.

"Additionally, all 4 UK banks subpoenoed were ones with large US operations. There are many many banks around the world (UK included) that do not have any US operations and couldnt give a flying fuck what the DOJ thinks."

Oh really?
So again you making this very naive assumption that neteller could easily send us our money because any bank in the world would have no issue and would raise no suspicion with a new company suddenly opening a business account and then sending out what pottentially thousands of checks worth millions of dollars?

Get real!

Sean these are BANKS we're talking about. Banks are traditional finance institutions runs by conservative old men in suits. If you really believe that they are going to fly in the face of the US government and give 2 fingers up, then you are extremely naive.

9-11 changed everything. I guarantee you that there isn't a first-tier bank in the world anymore that would dare piss of the US government. Unless you want your checks sent from Iran or North Korea. Would that satisfy you?

Do me a favour. Call up a bank, any bank, in the world and tell them you'd like to send checks, wires, or whatever for online gambling transactions to US citizens. If you're able to do this by being absolutely transparant with the bank (and not lying to them about the true nature of your business), and you can prove to me that you did this - I'll personally send you $100.

Hows that for a deal?

"International laws? The only international laws I am aware of say gambling is legal. Please don't confuse US with international."

Excuse me then for mixing up my terminology, but the point remains that a legitmate first tier bank does NOT want to do business with any organization that breaks laws in another country. Try go into your local bank in whatever city you live, and tell them that you'd like to open an online processing account so that you can sell viagra online. Then tell them that you won't be selling to US residents and therefore wont be breaking the law. Tell them you'll be selling to some backward 3rd world country where there are no laws against selling viagra online.

See if they don't mind participating in act that breaks the laws of a foreign country.

Go ahead an ask.

"If a user moves opens an account in Canada or the UK, no bank in the UK is breaking US law by transferring his funds to a bank in the UK or Canada.... Sorry. You are reaching..."

No I'm not reaching. The funds originated from the US from gambling and therefore according to our government are the 'proceeds of crime'. To allow them to be transfered would be further transgressing the law.

"So you are going to tell me there are no UK banks that will allow neteller to write checks????? Give me a break. Sure, UBS may say no, but I am sure Franks bank of london would be happy to have the business. Many of these banks have no branches or possessions in the US and could care less about Uncle Sam."

Come now Sean. Excersize some common sense here.

Firstly, how comfortable would you feel with neteller using some 3rd rate rickety little bank to process millions of dollars worth of checks? I thought you wanted to get your money?

Secondly of all I think that again you have no concept of how banks work outside of America and in places like UK. I'm no expert but as far as I know they don't have lots of local county-type banks like we do. They have a couple of major banks and that's about it. And these are all heavily regulated.

But again, I encourage you to do a search online, find a UK bank and ask them yourself if they wouldn't mind writing checks for us online gamblers in America.

Think you might be in for a rude awakening.

"No. They have said we are working on withdrawals. They have made no comments about seizures and they refuse to answer direct questions."

Who's to say they have the answers or even know the details? Would you rather they speculate and give out innacurate information before they have all the facts, thereby potentially jeaporadising any chance of us getting our money back at all?

"Yes, I have looked over the Patriot ACt. Last i checked other countries decide whether or not to enforce our laws over there and most have said they will enforce the Patriot act vs TERRORISM.. I don't think the UK is allowing bank seizure over gambling. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. If the DOJ could show the UK that XXX account is related to a known terrorist, sure they will freeze it, but if the DOJ says we think these guys bet the pats, good luck..."

The above is just hysterical.

Our government ignores the UN, the WTO and anyone else they want. Trust me Sean, there is nothing that will get in their way and they will squeeze whatever country they want to get what they want.

And any company (including banks) with any ties to the US at all will be under threat. I think you'll find that most of (if not all) big banks in the England probably have some link to the US and therefore could risk having their own assets being frozen.

"The Patriot act is a US LAW and no the US does not have jurisdiction over the WORLD."

Tell that to the UN and Iraq.

Our government does what it wants. It's only now we're seeing the extent to which they'll go.

"No kidding. I don't trust them at all. That doesnt mean Neteller can not issue a statement:

"None of our funds have been confiscated. WE are working on finding ways for US customers to withdraw or the FBI has confiscated 20% of our funds."

Maybe, and just maybe they will make a statement like this in the future but you or I can't dictate when they make such anouncements. One thing I doubt they want to do is piss of our government anymore. With our interests in mind they might be trying to appease the FBI or whoever and come to an agreement.

"If Interlac confiscated Citibank funds and UK users could not withdraw, how long do you think it would be before Citibank would issue a press release? Neteller is acting irresponsibly and is crushing their reputation."

I dont know how long it would take Citibank to do a press release but I'd imagine that whilst their lawyers were assesing the situation they would keep quiet...much the same as I suspect these guys are doing.

"Ok.. A company holding millions or billions of dollars and not providing any explanation is rational. You are right."

They have provided information on their site, albeit not detailed or an explanation as such but they have told us they're working on it. Again you ignore the obvious complexity and sensitivity of the situation and naively recomend that they approach this brutally with complete forthrightness and transparancy. As someone with even just a little exposure to business law I know that this is not how you should do this.

"If I ran Neteller and I had no plans to ever visit the US, I would politely tell the DOJ and FBI that they have no jurisdiction just as people like Hayden Ware and Calvin Ayre have told them."

Unlike the aforementioned people, as far as I know netteller is in the UK and therefore so are their directors and key people. And as far as I know the UK has an extradition treaty with the US. Now I might be mistaken but Ithink Calvin and Hayden live in the Carribean somewhere. So they have no worries. Ever heard of the Enron case? Weren't some Brits extradited to the US to face charges?

"I would then find a solution to pay my US clients - well not really cause if I was in charge of neteller, you'd still be able to use neteller because if I opened a sportsbook or money transferring service and placed it offshore for a reason, I would have made the committment to living outside the US. Of course I have not made this choice, but if I had a working biz in ENgland, I would seek England's backing and keep running my business. I have a feeling if Afghanistan indicted Budweiser for making beer, Anheiser Busch would tell them to fuck off... I would do the same if I owned Neteller."

Ah...what an idealist you are. If only the world were so.
Again you must think netteller is an island. They have dependencies on suppliers. If suppliers cut them off then they are fucked. The US gov can pressure their US based suppliers (or any suppliers with ties to the US) to cut them off. And some of those suppliers would probably choose to abandon netteler without preassure from the US simply because of reputational risk.

How would you keep running your business when the very companies you rely on are based in or have ties to the US? You wouldn't....

Your Afgahn example is a stretch...a better example would be if Budweiser sold beer online to Afgahnistan residents even though selling beer online in Afghan was illegal (but no illegal in America). The Afgahn government could take legal action against them.

In our case though our government would tell them to go fuck themselves...

sean1

EOG Dedicated

We are gonna have to agree to disagree. This is as much as I can say on the subject as we will not agree. There is simply a banking world that does not involve the US. It is not major banks.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
You clearly think it's a simple issue to solve, whereas it's obviously not. Common sense would dictate that as an organization wishing to survive they would not want to piss off the Sean's of the world and would therefore try pay us our money back. It's NOT in there interests to not do so. Doesn't this make sense to you?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It may not be easy to solve, but it is certainly easy to make a statement?We are negotiating with the FBI or whatever to return funds. This would end the pissing people off.

"Additionally, all 4 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> banks subpoenoed were ones with large <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> operations. There are many many banks around the world (<st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> included) that do not have any <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> operations and couldnt give a flying fuck what the DOJ thinks."

Oh really?
So again you making this very naive assumption that neteller could easily send us our money because any bank in the world would have no issue and would raise no suspicion with a new company suddenly opening a business account and then sending out what pottentially thousands of checks worth millions of dollars?

Get real!

Sean these are BANKS we're talking about. Banks are traditional finance institutions runs by conservative old men in suits. If you really believe that they are going to fly in the face of the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> government and give 2 fingers up, then you are extremely naive.

9-11 changed everything. I guarantee you that there isn't a first-tier bank in the world anymore that would dare piss of the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> government. Unless you want your checks sent from <st1:country-region w:st="on">Iran</st1:country-region> or <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">North Korea</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Would that satisfy you?

<o:p></o:p>

Checks from Antigua, Bahamas, Holland, Switzerland etc would be fine. Where do you think the drug cartels keep their billions. There are many banks out there that could care less about US regulations, do not submit to the Patriot Act and are in countries that do not allow US seizure. If this was not true, no sportsbooks would have any money. And quite frankly, if N. Korea will send the checks and N. Korea is not one of the 7-8 countries (This I do not know) that US banks can not cash, then so bet it, they are fine as they get the same 5 day hold?<o:p></o:p>

Do me a favour. Call up a bank, any bank, in the world and tell them you'd like to send checks, wires, or whatever for online gambling transactions to US citizens. If you're able to do this by being absolutely transparant with the bank (and not lying to them about the true nature of your business), and you can prove to me that you did this - I'll personally send you $100.<o:p></o:p>

Offer up $10,000 and I will find you at least 5.

Hows that for a deal?

See above - not worth the time involved or long distance calls at $100.

"International laws? The only international laws I am aware of say gambling is legal. Please don't confuse US with international."

Excuse me then for mixing up my terminology, but the point remains that a legitmate first tier bank does NOT want to do business with any organization that breaks laws in another country. Try go into your local bank in whatever city you live, and tell them that you'd like to open an online processing account so that you can sell viagra online. Then tell them that you won't be selling to US residents and therefore wont be breaking the law. Tell them you'll be selling to some backward 3rd world country where there are no laws against selling viagra online. <o:p></o:p>

Well I can legally sell Viagra online, but I digress? I did not say US banks!!! US banks are FDIC ensured and hence answer to the fed government. There are many many banks in other countries that could care less about the federal government. I am not talking UBS or Barclays? Call up Bank of <st1:place w:st="on">Antigua</st1:place> and ask them if they'll send out gambling checks. They and their government don't care! What is the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> gonna do? They already lost to the WTO. Are they gonna try to now seize money from Bank of <st1:place w:st="on">Antigua</st1:place>?

"If a user moves opens an account in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> or the <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region>, no bank in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> is breaking <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> law by transferring his funds to a bank in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> or <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region>.... Sorry. You are reaching..."

No I'm not reaching. The funds originated from the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> from gambling and therefore according to our government are the 'proceeds of crime'. To allow them to be transfered would be further transgressing the law.

No, no no. Never has the federal government classified gambling as a crime. In fact, the only trial case in federal court said specifically that gambling is not a crime. It was in 1981 and never challenged. They do believe accepting bets is a crime, but anyways, we are splitting hairs. The government has no right to seize your funds if you broke no laws. They might have a right to seize a books funds if they can get around the international thing, but certainly not a citizen who has followed federal law as interpreted by the federal courts.

"So you are going to tell me there are no <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> banks that will allow neteller to write checks????? Give me a break. Sure, UBS may say no, but I am sure Franks bank of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">london</st1:place></st1:City> would be happy to have the business. Many of these banks have no branches or possessions in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> and could care less about Uncle Sam."

Come now Sean. Excersize some common sense here.

Firstly, how comfortable would you feel with neteller using some 3rd rate rickety little bank to process millions of dollars worth of checks? I thought you wanted to get your money?<o:p></o:p>

I've received plenty of payments from rickety little banks with no problem. I'm not advocating Neteller dump 100 % of their funds into a rickety bank, but 1%/day till all are paid would make sense?

Secondly of all I think that again you have no concept of how banks work outside of <st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region> and in places like <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place>. I'm no expert but as far as I know they don't have lots of local county-type banks like we do. They have a couple of major banks and that's about it. And these are all heavily regulated. <o:p></o:p>

You are so wrong. There are many completely unregulated banks around the world. You probably believe trafficking of women and children does not exist too cause the feds don?t like it. There are many many countries who have no opinion on <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> law. What banks do you think process transactions for coke cartels, child porn groups, people traffickers? I'm not saying I agree with any of these things. I don't, but I am saying there are many many banks who have no problem flying their middle fingers at the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> government.

"No. They have said we are working on withdrawals. They have made no comments about seizures and they refuse to answer direct questions."

Who's to say they have the answers or even know the details? Would you rather they speculate and give out innacurate information before they have all the facts, thereby potentially jeaporadising any chance of us getting our money back at all?

Well there is no speculation of whether the feds have seized funds.

"Yes, I have looked over the Patriot ACt. Last i checked other countries decide whether or not to enforce our laws over there and most have said they will enforce the Patriot act vs TERRORISM.. I don't think the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> is allowing bank seizure over gambling. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. If the DOJ could show the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> that XXX account is related to a known terrorist, sure they will freeze it, but if the DOJ says we think these guys bet the pats, good luck..."

The above is just hysterical.

Our government ignores the UN, the WTO and anyone else they want. Trust me Sean, there is nothing that will get in their way and they will squeeze whatever country they want to get what they want.<o:p></o:p>

You are just crazy. They will squeeze small countries. Plenty tell us to fuck off. Isn't <st1:place w:st="on">N. Korea</st1:place> testing nukes? I'm sure the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> government approves of that?

And any company (including banks) with any ties to the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> at all will be under threat. I think you'll find that most of (if not all) big banks in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> probably have some link to the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> and therefore could risk having their own assets being frozen.<o:p></o:p>

Yes. DON?T USE A BIG ENGLISH BANK. WE AGREE ON THIS.

"The Patriot act is a <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> LAW and no the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> does not have jurisdiction over the WORLD."

Tell that to the UN and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Iraq</st1:country-region></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>

The <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> is going to invade and bomb <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region></st1:place> over football betting?. Yes, if <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">England</st1:place></st1:country-region> starts blowing up our buildings, threatening nuclear attack, invading our allies, etc? There is a good comparison.

Our government does what it wants. It's only now we're seeing the extent to which they'll go.

"No kidding. I don't trust them at all. That doesnt mean Neteller can not issue a statement:

Maybe, and just maybe they will make a statement like this in the future but you or I can't dictate when they make such anouncements. One thing I doubt they want to do is piss of our government anymore. With our interests in mind they might be trying to appease the FBI or whoever and come to an agreement.

"If Interlac confiscated Citibank funds and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> users could not withdraw, how long do you think it would be before Citibank would issue a press release? Neteller is acting irresponsibly and is crushing their reputation."

I dont know how long it would take Citibank to do a press release but I'd imagine that whilst their lawyers were assesing the situation they would keep quiet...much the same as I suspect these guys are doing.

I think you'd see it in 1-2 days. Failure to do so would break all of the SEC rules and leave them open to all sorts of shareholder lawsuits.

"Ok.. A company holding millions or billions of dollars and not providing any explanation is rational. You are right."

They have provided information on their site, albeit not detailed or an explanation as such but they have told us they're working on it. Again you ignore the obvious complexity and sensitivity of the situation and naively recomend that they approach this brutally with complete forthrightness and transparancy. As someone with even just a little exposure to business law I know that this is not how you should do this. <o:p></o:p>

They have provided no explanation. An explanation is just that, a why. They have provided a "We have your money. Too bad."

"If I ran Neteller and I had no plans to ever visit the US, I would politely tell the DOJ and FBI that they have no jurisdiction just as people like Hayden Ware and Calvin Ayre have told them."

Unlike the aforementioned people, as far as I know netteller is in the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place> and therefore so are their directors and key people. And as far as I know the <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> has an extradition treaty with the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Now I might be mistaken but Ithink Calvin and Hayden live in the Carribean somewhere. So they have no worries. Ever heard of the Enron case? Weren't some Brits extradited to the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> to face charges?<o:p></o:p>

Yes, they were, but they broke laws that were laws in both the <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Gambling is not illegal in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Therefore, moving money to gambling is not money laundering. Thus, since these guys did not break a law in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>, they can not be extradited. See Peter Dicks - <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Louisiana</st1:place></st1:State> would love to extradite him? They can not. One of the keys to extradition is reciprocal illegality. Just as someone from the US can not be extradited to Afghanistan for selling alcohol and someone in Amsterdam can not be extradited to the US for supplying whores, someone in the UK can not be extradited for taking bets or facilitating the taking of bets.

"I would then find a solution to pay my US clients - well not really cause if I was in charge of neteller, you'd still be able to use neteller because if I opened a sportsbook or money transferring service and placed it offshore for a reason, I would have made the committment to living outside the US. Of course I have not made this choice, but if I had a working biz in <st1:country-region w:st="on">ENgland</st1:country-region>, I would seek <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">England</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s backing and keep running my business. I have a feeling if <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Afghanistan</st1:place></st1:country-region> indicted Budweiser for making beer, Anheiser Busch would tell them to fuck off... I would do the same if I owned Neteller."

Ah...what an idealist you are. If only the world were so.
Again you must think netteller is an island. They have dependencies on suppliers. If suppliers cut them off then they are fucked. The <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> gov can pressure their <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> based suppliers (or any suppliers with ties to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>) to cut them off. And some of those suppliers would probably choose to abandon netteler without preassure from the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> simply because of reputational risk.<o:p></o:p>

We agree. Thus, I would find (Actually have already found) suppliers who have no <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> ties. Many sportsbooks have already done this. This is why certain books have had no delays in paying while others have had major delays. I could have told you 3 weeks ago which books would have trouble paying and which would not. All it takes is knowing which books write checks/bank wires from Barclays or BOA and which ones use bank of <st1:country-region w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:country-region> or the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Bahamas</st1:country-region></st1:place> Trust?<o:p></o:p>
If Neteller stored its funds in a <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> based or US facing bank, then that was just poor planning.

How would you keep running your business when the very companies you rely on are based in or have ties to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>? You wouldn't....<o:p></o:p>

I just told you. Bank of Antigua would be very happy to send checks as would many other independent banks with no business in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<o:p></o:p>

Your Afgahn example is a stretch...a better example would be if Budweiser sold beer online to Afgahnistan residents even though selling beer online in Afghan was illegal (but no illegal in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region></st1:place>). The Afgahn government could take legal action against them.

No they could not. The <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> government would just laugh.<o:p></o:p>

Sean<o:p></o:p>

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

How do we know that thid Bettor Hand isn't from the Gov't and trying to get us nervous and what sean says is true? Guy only has 8 posts.

dirty

EOG Master

The reason you don't hear an outrage is past reputation... Just like WWTS before they were bought they held funds for weeks... no one Bitched... I was told they get a Free Stiff Card because of Reputation by many posters....

Some shops get nailed on everything under the sun because of Past wrong doings no matter if they are guilty or not....and some can not pay and it is OK... I don't get it

Yes sir Sean, I have 2 dimes that have been held for over 3 weeks now, going on a month......

Nimue77

EOG Senior Member

Didn't know that...excellent news. I guess that means residency is not required then...just rent a place for a couple months - make sure the utility bill is in your name - bank accont... and your good to go...? Or am I missing something?

BTW, can you direct me to a website that talks about how americans can obtain a canadian DL without residing there?

I probably should not say this too loudly, but Ontario makes it very easy for US citizens to get drivers licenses. You simply must sign a form that you have driven with a US license for over 1 year. I do not know the cost, but I do know if I had a bunch of money in there....

Sean

Last edited:

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Try and keep it all in perspective and be patient. It is a bad situation for many and I feel terrible for those in the middle of this mess with their money tied up and not being released to them. I have no idea if we will ever see the money or not. I will keep faith though.

sadly with anything gambling related (online or offline) if you don't see your money within a month all is probably lost.
it is quite a shame though that people with thousand$ balances + in what was considered something of a bank will probably get nothing imho.

did anyone ever get a list of their "non-gambling merchants"?
i would be curious to see if there is anyone out there still taking neteller from u.s. citizens.

Sounds like w/ today's news and PR from NT that this could change in time (fingers crossed)