INSIDE INFORMATION ABOUT ODU PRACTICES AND BUTLER'S LATE ARRIVAL INTO BUFFALO

March Madness Selection

ODU + 2 vs. Butler (Game starts about 2:50 EST)

The ODU Monarchs practices have been eventful this past week. Emotions are running high. Evidently, Thier best defensive guard Brandon Johnson and power forward/center Valdas Vasylius nearly came to blows at Sunday's practice.

On Tuesday before the team left, it was Vasylius and point guard Drew Williamson who were on each others' case.

A lot of people seem to like ODU as a 12-5 upset special. The only 12 I've paid attention to is the fact that it's been 12 years since ODU won an NCAA Tournament game.

Can you say Petey Sessoms over Villanova?

Also, Butler's plane was delayed by several hours, as they landed late from their trip to Buffalo from Indiana...

Prediction: There REALLY is a reason that the #12 team is getting so much RESPECT against the #5 seed. Don't fall into this trap. Take the #12 Seeded ODU who is the MUCH HOTTER team coming into the Big Dance, winning 12 our of their last 13. Meanwhile, Butler lost 4 out of their last 8 and all of their showcase wins happened LAST YEAR in 2006 (very early this season)...

ODU by 2 in a thriller...

They know how to WIN close games!!!!

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

Re: INSIDE INFORMATION ABOUT ODU PRACTICES AND BUTLER'S LATE ARRIVAL INTO BUFFALO

Thanks Shrink and I hope ODU gets it done!

Re: INSIDE INFORMATION ABOUT ODU PRACTICES AND BUTLER'S LATE ARRIVAL INTO BUFFALO

I'll prolly jump on this play myself.

Hope they pull this out man!

You know, out of all the +2 underdogs out there on the board ODU is paying the least on the money line. Should tell everyone something right there.

It seems The General didn't read this column when he shared his Butler article...:+clueless

Monarchs might have best chance to go deep

Published March 12 2007

TAMPA, FLA. -- Syracuse will gripe. Drexel should gripe. But not our fair commonwealth. The NCAA basketball tournament selection committee was beyond generous to Virginia schools Sunday.

The panel included four state teams in the field of 65, as they should have. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth had historically exceptional regular seasons.

Based on seedings, Old Dominion, the No. 12 in the Midwest Regional, was among the final teams selected. But the Monarchs have arguably the best chance of advancing deep into the tournament.

First-round opponent Butler pole-vaulted to 10th in the national rankings after early-season conquests of Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee, Gonzaga and Purdue - all of which made the field. But the Bulldogs have lost four of their last eight, including the Horizon League tournament final to Wright State.

Besides, No. 12s are the tournament's surest upset bets. Montana and Texas A&M won last year, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee made the regional semifinals in 2005. That same year Old Dominion was a 12 and gave Michigan State fits before losing by eight. Should the Monarchs advance, they'd face Maryland or Davidson. No world-beaters there - Davidson's only encounter with a top-50 opponent was a 28-point drubbing at Duke.

Virginia, the No. 4 in the South Regional, is the highest seed among the state contingent. And that high seed will prompt questions given the presence of Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage on the selection committee.

Sure, the Cavaliers shared the ACC regular-season title with North Carolina, a deserving No. 1 in the East. But Virginia's ACC schedule was comparatively weak, and the Cavaliers have lost three of their last five, including a quick ACC tournament exit to North Carolina State here in Florida.

Virginia's reward is an opening-round game against America East champion Albany. The Great Danes boast a great moniker, but their only top-50 competition was an 18-point home loss to VCU.

Boston University head coach Dennis Wolff, a former Virginia assistant, lost to Albany three times this season and said the Great Danes play excellent, no-frills, half-court, man-to-man defense. But he doesn't expect them to beat the Cavaliers.

So bank on Virginia surviving to play Tennessee or Long Beach State, likely the former in a marquee guard matchup of the Vols' Chris Lofton and Cavs' Sean Singletary.

Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg, who guided Long Beach to its last NCAA appearance in 1995, has the Hokies in the field for the first time since 1996. The Hokies' seed, No. 5 in the West, is their best ever, and they face an Illinois club many didn't expect in the field.

The Illini bear no resemblance to the Illinois team that lost the 2005 national title game to North Carolina. An overtime victory against Indiana in the Big Ten tournament likely secured the Illini's bid, but they haven't scored 70 or more points in a game since early January, an offense far more offensive than the school's politically incorrect Indian mascot.

Southern Illinois in the second round would present a more difficult challenge for Tech. The teams met Nov. 26 near Orlando, Fla., where the Salukis won by five.

While ACC adversaries Tech and Virginia share the stage in Columbus, Ohio, Colonial Athletic Association rivals Old Dominion and VCU trek to - bring your snowshoes - Buffalo. VCU, the West's No. 11, faces Duke, and if the Rams' big men can contain Josh McRoberts, look for the Blue Devils to make their first opening-round exit since 1996.

Duke is among seven ACC teams in the field, a record for the conference but one shy of the Big East's eight last season. Florida State may fuss about its exclusion but has no compelling case. Same goes for Syracuse of the Big East.

The sole outrage belongs to Drexel. The Dragons, losers in the CAA semifinals to VCU, did everything the committee demands of the so-called mid-majors: Schedule ambitiously and whip some big dogs.

Drexel beat Syracuse, Villanova and Creighton, all on the road, and was more deserving than Illinois, Arkansas or Stanford. Had the Dragons not lost twice to Old Dominion, they might have sneaked in.

There was no sneaking in for our state teams. They belong without question.

Old Dominion was the state's sole first-round survivor the only other time four made the field, in 1986. This year will be better.

Best bet on the board in early games:smokesmal:smokesmal:+excited-

Hal01

EOG Veteran

Do you think we will see +2' by tip off?

there are some +2 still out there 5 dimes USDBET

I'm in at +2. I don't think it's worth waiting for 2.5.

Hah - Dr. Bob likes Butler! A 3-Star Best Bet even! FADE!

Dr. Bob

Thursday NCAA Tournament #1

***Butler (-1) over Old Dominion
Butler was as impressive as any team in the nation early in the season, recording victories over Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee, and Gonzaga to win the pre-season NIT. The Bulldogs weren?€™t quite as good against their fellow Horizon League teams, but it was probably tough for Butler to get up for those teams. Late-season losses to Southern Illinois at home and twice to Wright State on the road are cause for concern, but those are respectable losses, which cannot be said of Old Dominion losing by 16 points to a mediocre George Mason team in their conference tournament. Old Dominion made this tournament because they beat Georgetown by 13 points back in November, but that?€™s the Monarchs?€™ only victory against an NCAA Tourney caliber team (VCU is not really NCAA caliber based on my ratings). Aside from beating Georgetown, Old Dominion lost by 17 points at Virginia Tech, lost by 6 points at home to Winthrop, and by 4 points at home to Clemson. Butler is clearly better than Old Dominion and my ratings favor the Bulldogs by 3 ½ points in this game and I?€™d still favor Butler by 3 points using only games for each team since January 1st. Aside from the line value Butler applies to an 81-32-1 ATS round 1 situation and a 36-7 ATS round 1 situation that applies as long as they are not favored by 3 points or more. I'll take Butler in a 3-Star Best Bet at -2? points or less and for 2-Stars at -3 points.

sharp gambler

EOG Member

March Madness Selection

The ODU Monarchs practices have been eventful this past week. Emotions are running high. Evidently, Thier best defensive guard Brandon Johnson and power forward/center Valdas Vasylius nearly came to blows at Sunday's practice.

On Tuesday before the team left, it was Vasylius and point guard Drew Williamson who were on each others' case.

A lot of people seem to like ODU as a 12-5 upset special. The only 12 I've paid attention to is the fact that it's been 12 years since ODU won an NCAA Tournament game.

Also, Butler's plane was delayed by several hours, as they landed late from their trip to Buffalo from Indiana...

Prediction: There REALLY is a reason that the #12 team is getting so much RESPECT against the #5 seed. Don't fall into this trap. Take the #12 Seeded ODU who is the MUCH HOTTER team coming into the Big Dance, winning 12 our of their last 13. Meanwhile, Butler lost 4 out of their last 8 and all of their showcase wins happened LAST YEAR in 2006 (very early this season)...

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

Nice info. But why not give the author credit instead of making believe you actually wrote it yourself? Here is the original source. I am sure he doesn't mind you plagerizing his article.

Blog - Rich Radford (The Virginian-Pilot)

:whatever:

nflguy

EOG Enthusiast

How about providing a link to all these articles that EOG just copys and pastes. I am sure the website/author would appreciate it atleast a link back.

March Madness Selection

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

How's this? :rolleyes:

March Madness Selection

Credit Shrink for this information :houra
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Rich Bradford for this information obtained by The Shrink :rolleyes:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

Credit Shrink for the above as well...:cheers

Better??? :party

Blondie

EOG Master

i think the main point Ken was trying to make was that Butler's plane was delayed, and I am sure that he is not the only one that had ever failed to cite a source

sharp gambler

EOG Member

your an idiot. and when butler hands to ODU you'll be even a bigger idiot for leading the followers to the poor house.:bank:

Just can't get a feel for this one. Either ODU or pass.

your an idiot. and when butler hands to ODU you'll be even a bigger idiot for leading the followers to the poor house.:bank:

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

I'd like to think people can think for themselves...I make my picks before I even check what people are doing on EOG

:finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004

Butler will be grasping for breath, pulling at their britches, as we pull away late in the game.

We will make them play and then pay, they're crying for mommy, wah!

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Goodbye sing along!

What scares me Shrink is the total on the game. Indicates slow paced game. I'm taking a pass.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

The wings really are great if you are at this game....nothing like 'em! Enjoy them.....the hotter the better!!!!!!!:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

Sorry Shrink, but you and your boys had a great season!:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

sharp gambler

EOG Member

oK SHRINK let's all start singing

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah hey hey hey GOODBYE ODU

cash my butler ticket

thankyou very much:party:bank:

and I win my 2h under 64' play also....nah nah nah.nah nah nah hey hey hey GOODBYE

who else you like shrink..your a fade machine

Tough second half. One bad run killed them.

Anyway, thanks for a great season Shrink! Sorry it had to end like this but we had some good times along the way.

Fordfield

EOG Addicted

Good thing they lost to another mid major team if they had won Maryland would of won by 25-30 on Saturday..

Stick to the NIT ODU you dont belong with the big boys anymore inside infornmation we should know about for tonights game Shrink:+clueless

So we can
:bank:

Why does the shrinks original post look so familiar?

Blogs | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

The Monarchs practices have been eventful this past week. Emotions are running high. Evidently, Brandon Johnson and Valdas Vasylius nearly came to blows at Sunday's practice. On Tuesday before the team left, it was Vasylius and Williamson who were on each others' case.

Most ridiculous thing I've heard this week: An ODU official hurried into the practice facility on Tuesday wanting to remind ODU coach Blaine Taylor that the school's charter flight was going to be "wheels up" by 2 p.m. And what? Leave without the team? I don't think so.

A lot of people seem to like ODU as a 12-5 upset special. The only 12 I've paid attention to is the fact that it's been 12 years since ODU won an NCAA Tournament game. Can you say Petey Sessoms over Villanova?

Last edited: