Wrigley: more"effects"

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Antarctic Glaciers' Sloughing Of Ice Has Scientists at a Loss
By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 16, 2007; Page A02

Some of the largest glaciers in Antarctica and Greenland are moving in unusual ways and are losing increased amounts of ice to the sea, researchers said yesterday.

Although the changes in Greenland appear to be related to global warming, it remains unclear what is causing the glaciers of frigid Antarctica and their "ice streams" to lose ice to the ocean in recent years, the researchers said.

"In Greenland we know there is melting associated with the ice loss, but in Antarctica we don't really know why it's happening," said Duncan Wingham, an author of the review released today in Science magazine. "With so much of the world's ice captured in Antarctica, just the fact that we don't know why this is happening is a cause of some concern."

The Antarctic ice loss, which Wingham said is not caused by melting but rather by the pushing of ice streams into the ocean by several glaciers in the west of the continent, has picked up speed in recent years. But Wingham said that because researchers did not have good measures of the depth of the Antarctic ice shelf until about 10 years ago, scientists do not know whether this is a natural variation or a result of human activity

Because such a large percentage of the world's ice is found in those two locations, scientists are carefully watching for signs of increased ice loss. If that process accelerates, researchers say, it could result in a substantial, and highly disruptive, increase in sea levels worldwide....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Re: Wrigley: more"effects"

Joining a rising corporate chorus itching to sink money into clean energy projects, big investors will press the U.S. Congress on Monday to pass laws attempting to tackle global warming.

The dozens of investors include Merrill Lynch, The Capital Group, which manages $850 billion in mutual funds, and the California Public Employees Retirement System, the largest U.S. pension fund, said a source at Ceres, a Boston-based coalition of investors and environmentalists.

"Investors are seeking strong legislation with tangible greenhouse gas reduction targets," said the source.

The United States is the world's top emitter of gases from smokestacks and tailpipes that scientists link to global warming. Mandatory emissions cuts could give investors confidence to put more money in low-carbon alternative energy, like wind and solar power, and other technologies.

The source said the investors have "specific goals" in mind for carbon-cuts.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N17254457.htm

Looks like good news coming next week Doc as Oscar winner and future Nobel Peace Prize winner Big Al heads to Washington to get the congress to start protecting our future generations.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

I will say it again ...

anyone with kids should not be pissed ...they should be happy Gore has folks
talking about this serious issue

My god .... if folks dont grasp what is happening up North with the Polar Bears
then I guess its time to watch American Idol

I will say it again ...

anyone with kids should not be pissed ...they should be happy Gore has folks
talking about this serious issue