Miami Couple Pleads In Online Gambling Case.

Online Gambling Ring Pulled In Over $1 Billion Per Year

NEW YORK -- A Miami couple who helped run a $1.4 billion-a-year Internet gambling business pleaded guilty this week to felony charges, prosecutors said.

Daniel and Melissa Clarin are the latest in a string of more than two dozen people to admit being part of an operation that processed bets through offshore computer servers and a Web site.

A Queens judge said Daniel Clarin will likely serve two to seven years in prison. He will be sentenced next month. Clarin, who pleaded guilty to enterprise corruption, will also have to forfeit $254,000, prosecutors said.

Melissa Clarin may escape jail time, if she forfeits $72,000 in illegal earnings. She pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge.

Prosecutors said the gambling ring used a combination of old-school bookies and new technology to take bets from tens of thousands of customers.

The accused ringleader, James Giordano, is Melissa Clarin?s father, prosecutors said. He has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.

Re: Miami Couple Pleads In Online Gambling Case.

10s of thousands of customers? sheesh i wonder if my local was goin through giordano...:)

The Devil

EOG Master

KID OF ODD THE SON-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER COP PLEAS, AND THE FATHER PLEADS NOT GUILTY.........

sean1

EOG Dedicated

The kid and son and law were looking at 0-10 years. They were able to cop to a fine and 2 years.. The father is looking at 30 years and the gov is prob not budging. It was really his business.

Sean

pags11

EOG Dedicated

are they tied somehow to the guys up in new york that got busted during football season?...

kidslick

EOG Dedicated

are you talking about Sal from seaford New York:cocktail

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

if someone pleads out on a crime i don't think that can be used at a later trial. not surebut it sure seems like it would be predjudicial.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

this story is not getting any local coverage down here

Shows you how big of a business this all really is. We're all such complete suckers to be a part of this.

Makes me think of those lines in the movie Wall Street - "One day I hope to be on the other end of that phone..." "Yeah, where the real CHEESECAKE is!"

IHaveBeenAround

EOG Addicted

KID OF ODD THE SON-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER COP PLEAS, AND THE FATHER PLEADS NOT GUILTY.........

Devil wasn't their a rat involved in this case that was looking at some time for something not related to gambling or booking? Correct me if I am wrong.