Donovan to Kentucky for 3 mill per?

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Re: Donovan to Kentucky for 3 mill per?

I may be simple minded, but why go to a place with more pressure to win, and have to play against the guys you spent all that time recruiting?

only reason I would see is that Florida's b-ball is 2nd fiddle up there, while in Kentucky baskets rules...but that would seem like an egotistical reason to move

mofome

Banned

new challenge.
basketball first school.
more money.
head dog in the state.
his top recruit would follow him there.
accomplished everything at fla.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

new challenge.
basketball first school.
more money.
head dog in the state.
makes sense I guess..but his situation now is so comfy

Donovan is Florida basketball. I'm sure if he wants more money, Florida will give it to him.

He's not going to Kentucky

janus

EOG Dedicated

Donovan is Florida basketball. I'm sure if he wants more money, Florida will give it to him.

He's not going to Kentucky

given an equivalent dollar choice between the basketball program he made & the one that made him, i'd wager on the latter as his selection, even without mo's laundry list of other good reasons.

dirty

EOG Master

Foley has stated they will do what it takes to keep Donovan if he wants to stay

3M per year for a hoops coach, its getting crazy! Remember when we thought these guys were lucky bastards getting the job and making half a mil a year? Anyways the real superstars are the star recruiters, not the coaches. Donovan is a good, but not great, game coach. He's solid right now because of the kids he's got, not because he made them great himself. If you want to say that was all his doing go right ahead, but I think it means you can never guarantee similar results unless he is able to pack up his whole coaching squad and move in with them.

cubswoo

EOG Enthusiast

No, I'm sure Florida will give him a good raise to stay. Kentucky is not the program it once was and is now second fiddle in the state to Louisville. It will take a lot more than Billy Donovan to turn it around. He is now king in Gainsville along with Urban Meyer why would he want to leave that for a couple of dollars and to have tons of pressure put on him to win a national title when he is on the verge of winning his second in a row.
It would be a bad move not to mention the sun and sand of florida vs the middle of nowhere Kentucky.

Catsfan

EOG Enthusiast

To say Kentucky is second fiddle to Louisville is as naive a comment as I heard someone the other day say that the Michigan St job is better than the Kentucky job. While I admit that the last 10 years each of these programs have had an equal amount of success this just shows that people have no idea what Kentucky basketball is all about. The top 6 basketball programs are
Kentucky
UCLA
North Carolina
Kansas
Duke
Indiana

Over time there is no question that these programs stand alone by themselves.

dirty

EOG Master

I would flip flop Duke and UCLA... but it is a good List

cubswoo

EOG Enthusiast

Kentucky hasn't been good since Pitino left (yes I know Tubby won a national championship but it was with Pitino's kids)
That would be Nieve of you to not think that Louisville is the best program in the state of Kentucky. I'm not saying they have the better tradition because they don't but Louisville is far better right now and has been for the last 5 or so years.

I think it's kinda of the same way with Arkansas football. I keep hearing how it's a great program, a great job and all that. I must be too young or something

I must be missing something :med3d-ennuye:

Right now Florida basketball >>>> Kentucky ball

new challenge.
basketball first school.
more money.
head dog in the state.
Lives next to Urban
Talked Urban into coming to Fla
Great working realtionship with Foley
Started only Catholic school (with wife) in Gainesville
Contract no problem--never have used Agent
money no problem
has 4 kids to consider

Catsfan

EOG Enthusiast

Kentucky hasn't been good since Pitino left (yes I know Tubby won a national championship but it was with Pitino's kids)
That would be Nieve of you to not think that Louisville is the best program in the state of Kentucky. I'm not saying they have the better tradition because they don't but Louisville is far better right now and has been for the last 5 or so years.

In Tubby's defense ; he did make it to three Regional Finals. Louisville has not been anything special since Pitino arrived. They've made it to one Final Four. Earlier this year the U of L fans were rumbling about Pitino. Louisville is a nice program but they are deffinatly in the next group of programs below the ones I listed earlier in this thread. I would group thm with Texas, Michigan St, Arizonia, and Maryland to name a few. Those are all excellent programs but over the course of time they are not in the same category as UCLA, UNC, Kansas, Duke, Indiana, and Kentucky. The passion and expectations these schools have set them apart from others.

dirty

EOG Master

You are on Drugs

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

He didn't exactly rule it out with his last comments...just said he already addressed it and will not again

FWIW - many UK people with very good connections to the program think BD is coming...

Tubby quit on Thurs & UK supposedly quickly reached an agreement in principle with BD's agent...

Nothing is signed, of course, and it could fall apart, but an agreement is supposedly in place...

Notice how the know-nothing blowhards at ESPN are backtracking better than Michael Jackson ever did in moonwalking heyday???? Katz has gone from "There is NO WAY Donovan goes to Ky. It's impossible!" to "my gut thinks he turns down the Ky offer"....

Blowdog had Donovan at 10-1 and quickly removed the prop when the rumors began circulating last weekend...

The numbers being thrown around are crazy...I'm pretty sure that BD will be making over $3M/yr next year, whether it's at FL or KY...$3M/yr is actually on the low side of the numbers that I've seen for Ky's offer - I've seen numbers as high as close to $5M...

Also, I feel pretty confident that Plan B options are Gillespie & Wright...and I feel pretty confident that they'll get 1 of them if BD decides to remain at FL...BG has agreed verbally to an extension with A&M, but won't sign it until after BD makes his decision...

mofome

Banned

mo's story now on the cover of espn. im a man well ahead of the times.

:cocktail

life experience, general.