Irans arrest of the Brits ... a legit act !

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
<!--start--> Iran's arrest of sailors was legitimate, says former UK envoy
IRNA
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan, Craig Murray Monday supported Iran's decision to arrest 15 UK marines in the Persian Gulf last week.

"In international law the Iranian government were not out of order in detaining foreign military personnel in waters to which they have a legitimate claim," Murray said, who was also a previous head of Foreign Office's maritime section, carrying out negotiations on the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

"For the Royal Navy, to be interdicting shipping within the twelve mile limit of territorial seas in a region they know full well is subject to maritime boundary dispute, is unnecessarily provocative," he said.

The former envoy said that this was "especially true as apparently they were not looking for weapons but for smuggled vehicles attempting to evade car duty."

"What has the evasion of Iranian or Iraqi taxes go to do with the Royal Navy?" he questioned in comments on his webpage, set up after he was sacked from his post in 2004 after criticizing British foreign policy.

While working for the Foreign Office, Murray was also head of the UK's Embargo Surveillance Centre, analyzing Iraqi attempts to evade sanctions and providing information to UK military forces and to other governments to effect physical enforcement of the embargo.

He said that under international law, Britain would have been allowed to enter Iranian territorial waters if in "hot pursuit" of terrorists, slavers or pirates. But added "they weren't doing any of those things."

"Plainly, they were not engaged in piracy or in hostilities against Iran. The Iranians can feel content that they have demonstrated the ability to exercise effective sovereignty over the waters they claim," the former envoy said.

He criticized the "ridiculous logic" of Prime Minister Tony Blair, saying he was creating a mess that "gets us further into trouble." The Daily Mirror, which has been an outspoken opponent of the Iraq war, reminded its readers Monday that "if the UK had never joined the disastrous invasion of Iraq, the 15 would not have been put in a position where they could be seized."

In its editorial on the incident, it also said that "US threats in the recent past to launch military strikes on Iran have inflamed tensions."

Re: Irans arrest of the Brits ... a legit act !

It never ceases to amaze me how you root against your own country and its allies.

You watch the video of Larry King interviewing your boy John Stewart where King asked him if he wanted our country to fail?

You should listen to his response and take it to heart.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

really?

I am more amazed that folks like yourself love watching American kids
die daily in a COUNTRY BUSH ADMITTED PUBLICALLY HAD NO TIES TO
9-11

You clowns from the Right are ANTI AMERICAN so try selling your
crap elsewhere

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I don't understand why the Brits didn't put up a fight? Anybody?:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

they will as soon as the papers are final that Shortbus and Nicolas
have enlisted

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post667082 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 03-28-07, 06:44 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #1 (permalink) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>doc mercer<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_667082", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Dedicated

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_667082 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Irans arrest of the Brits ... a legit act !
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>
Iran's arrest of sailors was legitimate, says former UK envoy
IRNA
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Former British Ambassador
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can't you come up anything current Doc? They got rid of his ass and he's pissed off. Big deal.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

they got rid of his ass???

hmmmm .... sounds like what Bush does over here when folks wont do corrupt acts for the Nazis

TAKE OUT AN OIL RIG EVERY 1/2 HOUR UNTIL THEY ARE RELEASED!! ONCE THEY ARE RELEASED NUKE'EM!!!:houra

The Devil

EOG Master

It never ceases to amaze me how you root against your own country and its allies.

You watch the video of Larry King interviewing your boy John Stewart where King asked him if he wanted our country to fail?

You should listen to his response and take it to heart.

You are 100% correct shortbus, doc would like nothing better than to see our soldiers die so he can say I told you so......Mercer is as anti American as they come.........

jcjiked7

EOG Member

Devil I can not disagree with you more about Doc being anti-American. He holds an entirelty different view of what America is and should be, but that does not make him anti-American. The ability to live together with different opinions is what make our society great. Although I agree with you that most of views are in my opinion demented and sad, I think we stoop to his level with name calling. We can keep the debate on a higher level even if Doc can't.

world traveler

EOG Addicted

I don't understand why the Brits didn't put up a fight? Anybody?:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

12 brit soldiers with small arms in a rubber dingy vs a heavily armed iranian naval vessel....you do the math.
also do you realize the shit storm that would have been created had the brit navy fired upon iranian navy vessels especially if they were in fact in Iranian waters (which i personally do not believe)?....remember politicians are running the war in Iraq not the military...

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

12 brit soldiers with small arms in a rubber dingy vs a heavily armed iranian naval vessel....you do the math.
also do you realize the shit storm that would have been created had the brit navy fired upon iranian navy vessels especially if they were in fact in Iranian waters (which i personally do not believe)?....remember politicians are running the war in Iraq not the military...
What the hell were they doing there in the first place with no back-up?

world traveler

EOG Addicted

What the hell were they doing there in the first place with no back-up?

they had just finished boarding a cargo ship for routine inspection and were on the way back to the "mother ship" when it all went down.. The rest of the brit navy witnessed the incident but were obviously told to stand down for reasons unknown to us commoners but my guess it was to prevent further provocation.
crap situation all round

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

they had just finished boarding a cargo ship for routine inspection and were on the way back to the "mother ship" when it all went down.. The rest of the brit navy witnessed the incident but were obviously told to stand down for reasons unknown to us commoners but my guess it was to prevent further provocation.
crap situation all round
This scenario would have to be a routine possibility daily....seems they dropped the ball big time. If they were not willing to back their comrades in arms.....they should not be there.....Period.

This scenario would have to be a routine possibility daily....seems they dropped the ball big time. If they were not willing to back their comrades in arms.....they should not be there.....Period.

Come on ZZ, that's nonsense, especially considering they weren't in Iranian waters to begin with. It's called, "let's not start WWIII".

You libs win either way because you get ammo to use as you see fit, regardless of how crazy it might be.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Come on ZZ, that's nonsense, especially considering they weren't in Iranian waters to begin with. It's called, "let's not start WWIII".

You libs win either way because you get ammo to use as you see fit, regardless of how crazy it might be.
I'm not talking politics Shortbus.....I'm talking military strategy and right and wrong. If you're not willing to defend your fellow soldier in a life or death scenario why are we there? Seems pretty simple to me....but you guys seem to have a problem distinguishing right from wrong or the moral or military equivalent, eh?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I'm not talking politics Shortbus.....I'm talking military strategy and right and wrong. If you're not willing to defend your fellow soldier in a life or death scenario why are we there? Seems pretty simple to me....but you guys seem to have a problem distinguishing right from wrong or the moral or military equivalent, eh?
Where was the back-up for these guys? If this isn't fishy, my name isn't Charley!:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Looks the Brits are willing to offer Dirty and Bunker in exchange for the sailors

If you aren't REALLY in a position to beat them down, and you get an ORDER from your superior, you listen. That is likely what happened.