Dice-K and Ichiro Face Off.....8 Years Later

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td valign="bottom">

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td valign="top">
</td> <td width="10"><spacer type="block" height="20" width="10"></td> <td valign="top">
</td> <td width="10"><spacer type="block" height="20" width="10"></td> <td valign="top">
</td> </tr></tbody></table> Now for some real pizazz: Dice-K, Ichiro set off Japan

By Michael Silverman
Boston Herald Sports Reporter
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="2"><spacer type="block" height="2" width="1"></td></tr></tbody></table> Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - Updated: 10:10 AM EST

When 18-year-old rookie Daisuke Matsuzaka of Seibu first faced 25-year-old superstar Ichiro Suzuki of Orix nearly eight years ago in Japan, the event was a national sensation.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="lineHeight" align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="210"><tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#cc6600">
</td> <td rowspan="2" width="5"><spacer type="block" height="5" width="5"></td> </tr><tr> <td bgcolor="#efefef"> <table class="lineHeight charBorder" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="5"> </td><td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table> Today, when they meet 60 feet, six inches away from each other on a U.S. mound, Matsuzaka for the first time pitching at Fenway Park [map], their history will be taken to a whole new international level that nobody in America can quite appreciate.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> For one pitch, at least, to be watched by millions of Japanese live on TV, the moment will transcend a single regular-season game between the Red Sox [team stats] and Mariners.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> As much as Suzuki attempted to downplay the matchup after his Mariners lost, 14-3, yesterday, he wryly acknowledged the immensity of the moment.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> ?When I look out onto the field, I see a huge sign of Dunkin? Donuts. It?s in Japanese (saying ?Welcome to Fenway Park?),? said Suzuki. ?Just by looking at that I can tell it?s something big.?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Suzuki struck out three times yesterday, the same result he had in his first three at-bats against Matsuzaka on May 16, 1999. After that game, Matsuzaka said, ?My confidence became conviction.?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Suzuki did walk in that first meeting and went 1-for-9 against Matsuzaka before finally collecting a hit - a home run - off Dice-K in his final at-bat of their third meeting.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> They met twice more that season and five more times in 2000 before Suzuki left Japan for Seattle and the major leagues.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Ichiro left behind an 8-for-34, .235 record of mostly futility against Matsuzaka, singling five times, doubling once and striking out four times. Matsuzaka pitched for six more seasons, next encountering Suzuki in a uniform as a teammate during last year?s World Baseball Classic, when together they became champions.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Matsuzaka?s relationship with Suzuki is said to be much stronger than with the Yankees? Hideki Matsui, who played in a different league in Japan so their matchups took place only in preseason, All-Star or playoff games.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Suzuki has not viewed any clips of Matsuzaka, although that could change before today?s first pitch. No matter what happens then, or the other handful of times they meet up, the outcome will rank a distant second to the event itself.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> ?More than my record against him, it?s a kind of feeling that?s created from the times I opposed him,? said Suzuki, ?but it?s been such a long time ago that I don?t remember many things. But hitting that home run off him is a good memory for me, but at this point, it?s something that doesn?t really matter.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> ?For the future, more than records against him, it?s the feelings that are created that is important.?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Asked to comment on the playoff-plus figure of having 350 media members on hand to record the matchup, Suzuki joked, ?I just hope it?s not going to be 400 people.?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Suzuki did not dispute the notion that his plate appearances and Matsuzaka?s pitches will prompt pride in their native country.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> ?I don?t know if it?s because of me or not but I?m happy this is happening,? he said. ?Because of this, many different kinds of results will happen.?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Like three strikeouts, maybe even a homer or something far less dramatic. Either way, it is the journey, not the destination, for the two Japanese superstars.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> When their paths cross, history will be made, both here and in Japan.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Re: Dice-K and Ichiro Face Off.....8 Years Later

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uDefoJ7hK0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uDefoJ7hK0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

think it's going be a great game lot closer than yesterday that's for sure

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Ichiro fanned 3 times in a row vs Dice-K.

Impressive!