Fernley, NV. ( Tell me what You can)

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
In the course of 11 years that Virginia has had Horse wagering ; you meet all types of folks at the the local otb's ESPECIALLY on Derby day. I met a horse player today --about my age give-- take 3 to 4 yrs. Said he was originally from Ca. and had retired (like me) from the federal government. You can't ask many questions in this type enviroment and he was a likeable, but sorta hard to understand fellow . Deeply into his handicapping; typical horseplayer like me. I won't go into all the details. But I'm sure he did know Nevada wagering and more than he cared to share about sports wagering. Anyway-long story short--when I asked him about good areas for a retiree to move to in Nevada... (He's "spent lots of time there" and I told him my love was more for small time sports wagering and that I knew Nevada had some type of 10 mile rule limit from all I'd read on the net where you could call bets in rather than drive. ) He first mentioned Leroy's and then said "Ferney,Nevada"; (Near Reno) as a place to live that would put me in the 10 mile range that I had understood was how far the max. you could live and still place sports sports wagers on a Nevada phoneline. I said you'r like me I'm not wealthy on a goverment employee's retirement. Not a real response--Handicapping it;s Derby day! Anyway he tells me you can Parlay in Nevada all sorts of horse wagers from track to track). I'm beyondamazed to put it mildly. My instincts are rarely wrong, when it come to other human being and their good/ bad intentions.
I'm asking you about this place called Fernley,Nv.
As a reired senior would it be good for a samll sports bettor (inside the 10 mile limit --and an ok place to live?
Thanks

Re: Fernley, NV. ( Tell me what You can)

Its about 30 miles from Sparks and a few miles past that is downtown Reno. It basically has become a exurb of the Reno with cheaper housing options. Still not all that cheap. Used to be horse country and very quiet, but with all the new houses going in it probably is much different.

Fletcher

EOG Addicted

Isn't that the area that was in the news for being a high cluster area for cancer due to the downwinds from the above ground atomic blasts during the 50's and early 60's further south in Nevada? Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another area of Northern NV. I used to go through Fernley a lot during my 21 counter days and always thought it would be a great place to live as close enough to reno-Tahoe for action yet far enough away for reasonable prices and quality of life and a more temperate climate than Las Vegas(i.e.-trees!).

That is a long way from Vegas, couldn't have been where you are thinking with the cancer cluster. Northern Nevada all has pretty much the same climate outside of Tahoe, although might be a little warmer and less snow in Fernley than in Reno. Saying it is temperate depends on who you are talking to. It can be nut-freezing cold at night during the winter, talking single digits with a wind chill making it worse. Snow though isn't really all that common up around Reno these days, I think its definitely seen the climate change, although a few winters ago they got pounded by a bunch of storms. Chances are though you might see one or two storms a year with accumulations. Then again for a lot of seniors that is one or two storms too many, hence they move to Vegas instead. It doesn't get as hot as Vegas, but it will get into the high 90s for extended periods of time so not exactly easy summers.

Fletcher

EOG Addicted

WB:
Northern Nevada and Utah and , believe it or not, as far west as Iowa are believed to have been affected by the testing because of the prevailing westerlies I guess. I might be getting Fernley mixed up with Fallon , NV but that is near Reno also. The documented effects on the Las Vegas area(nearer the detonations) was actually very neglible according to the studies I have seen. Utah and Northern Nevada took the brunt of it hence the term 'Downwinders'. Its like 'Acid Rain'....the effects are felt more where the weather carries it than where its produced.
Back to he starter's question: I don't mean to sour you on area as it is still one of best areas IMHO to live by my criteria and these effects may have wained by now. I just remember seeing a story on 20/20 or 60 Minutes about this childhood cancer cluster in this area being astronomically out of all proportions to what the population should have and nobody having a better possible cause than the 'Downwinder' syndrome.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

I thought that as long as you lived in the state of NV. you could bet by phone. I never heard of a 10 mile limit.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I thought that as long as you lived in the state of NV. you could bet by phone. I never heard of a 10 mile limit.

It used to be like that when they started phone accounts in the 90's, but they have changed. Now you have to wear a beeper and they call you back after checking your position by GPS...I've heard a 25 miles and a 10 mile radius for different books...not that it matters to me since it's way too inconvenient to use anymore. I used to have phone accounts with both Mirage and Coast and Stations but none anymore!

Fletcher

EOG Addicted

Pioneer:
This would be really funny if it were not so pathetic. I'm sure they are checking position with GPS as you said. What a bunch of pussies the books in LV are.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Pioneer:
This would be really funny if it were not so pathetic. I'm sure they are checking position with GPS as you said. What a bunch of pussies the books in LV are.

As I'm sure you're aware, Fletcher, it has to do with the GCB, not the books in Vegas.

They aren't checking your position by GPS, that is just where the coverage is. Books were going to start using these GPS locator phones for accounts, not sure what happened to that. Most account services have been shut down though, not many places you can bet by phone anymore. They are however pushing the racing accounts since you can bet in those from most states.