nsanes walkin thread

nsane

EOG Enthusiast
in may of 06,i weighed 295 pounds,at that juncture,i cut out sugar,salt,processed food,and started to learn how to cook and eat healthy foods,by thanksgiving,nov 22nd,i had lost 35 lbs,but i hadnt lost any weight,in a couple months,and i was sick and tired of being obese,i was contemplating what to do,when my sister shows up,with all the leftovers,from the family dinner,i didnt want to hurt my sisters feelins,so i pretended i was glad she brought the food,(and in a way,i was,punpkin pie,banana bread,dumplins,typical feast,that the women in old fashioned,southern families,cook on christmas and thanksgiving...to make a long story short,i decided that there was no way in hell,i was goin to throw that food out,after my sisters had worked hard for the whole week,plannin and cookin the meal,and then leavin her home on the holidays,and drivin 20 miles,to my house,cause she wanted me to have a good dinner....sooo i decided,i was goin to start walkin,so i could eat that darned food,,that first day,i only walked 1/4 mile,and it wore my ass out,but i would get up every mornin,and walk for 1 hour,and i mean every day,i didnt take a day off,unless i physically needed to,one day last winter,it was -2 degrees,and i was out there in it..to expedite matters,ill omit the small details,and cut to the chase,im now down to 225,and ive progressed from walkin to hiit(high intensity interval training)which at first kicked my ass,but now im kickin its ass,hehehe...my initial goal,was to get out of the obese category,and i did at 228,,(im 5 FT 11)now my long term goal,is to get down to 200,by football season(nov 1st)..ive also,within the last month,fixed myself a place to do weight training,in my front yard,and im beginning to enjoy liftin weights,,actually,doin the cardio,and the weights,has become a huge part of my life,at first it was hard work,and now i look forward to a new challenge,every day....anyhooo,this is goin to be my journal,ill post my cardio in here every day,and i welcome any suggestions,or feel free to share your experience,"keep the continue"

dirty

EOG Master
Re: nsanes walkin thread

in may of 06,i weighed 295 pounds,at that juncture,i cut out sugar,salt,processed food,and started to learn how to cook and eat healthy foods,by thanksgiving,nov 22nd,i had lost 35 lbs,but i hadnt lost any weight,in a couple months,and i was sick and tired of being obese,i was contemplating what to do,when my sister shows up,with all the leftovers,from the family dinner,i didnt want to hurt my sisters feelins,so i pretended i was glad she brought the food,(and in a way,i was,punpkin pie,banana bread,dumplins,typical feast,that the women in old fashioned,southern families,cook on christmas and thanksgiving...to make a long story short,i decided that there was no way in hell,i was goin to throw that food out,after my sisters had worked hard for the whole week,plannin and cookin the meal,and then leavin her home on the holidays,and drivin 20 miles,to my house,cause she wanted me to have a good dinner....sooo i decided,i was goin to start walkin,so i could eat that darned food,,that first day,i only walked 1/4 mile,and it wore my ass out,but i would get up every mornin,and walk for 1 hour,and i mean every day,i didnt take a day off,unless i physically needed to,one day last winter,it was -2 degrees,and i was out there in it..to expedite matters,ill omit the small details,and cut to the chase,im now down to 225,and ive progressed from walkin to hiit(high intensity interval training)which at first kicked my ass,but now im kickin its ass,hehehe...my initial goal,was to get out of the obese category,and i did at 228,,(im 5 FT 11)now my long term goal,is to get down to 200,by football season(nov 1st)..ive also,within the last month,fixed myself a place to do weight training,in my front yard,and im beginning to enjoy liftin weights,,actually,doin the cardio,and the weights,has become a huge part of my life,at first it was hard work,and now i look forward to a new challenge,every day....anyhooo,this is goin to be my journal,ill post my cardio in here every day,and i welcome any suggestions,or feel free to share your experience,"keep the continue"

Congrats and good luck

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

this mornin,i made it out to berea(ky)colleges crosscountry training facility,which amounts to a forest,with about a 5 ft wide trail,cut out with a backhoe,and in the front,there a soccer field,thats a 1 mile rectangle,you couldnt ask for a beter place to workout,today,i would run as hard as i possibly could,for app 30 seconds,or 75 paces,i actually got tired of checkin my watch,so i just did the 75 paces,all out,and then i would walk at a window shoppers pace,until i recovered,,the book says,run for 30 secs,walk for 30 secs,well,im still 25 lbs overweight(my doc says 35 or 40,and im sure hes right,but right now,my goal is 200 lbs)so my recovery time would be more like 1 minute,2 minutes,i didnt fk around,as soon as i would get enough air,id take off again,,,runnin all out,for 75 paces,doesnt sound like much,but if youre not in good shape,itll wear you down,in a hurry.a couple weeks ago,i was joggin 2 miles,and walkin 1 mile,but ive been doin a lot of research on the net,and i think ill get more out of this hiit,than what they call'steady state',which is walkin or runnin at the same speed,your body adapts to it,and you burn less calories....after the sun goes down,ill get out in the garage-yard,and do a little weight trainin,ive found that if i run in the am,and lift in the pm,it works out pretty good,as fr as recovering from each session goes...my ultimate goal is to do one thing....make the rest of my life,the best of my life....'keep the continue'

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Keep an awareness that lifting and trying to get big instead of toned will lead to heavy muscle Mass (WEIGHT). From reading I don't feel you want that so I would work much harder in the cardio area than the weight lifting area, but just light toning workouts. Good for you.

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

general,when i say liftin weights,im really just talkin about a refreshercourse,for my arms,im retired,and after a few years,ye get skinny fat,if you dont work,im 55 years old,so i also dont need to lose any more lean muscle mass,than you do,as you get older.....ive been at this for 6 months,and its one of the very few intelligent things i ever did,hehehe...aint nothn like.feelin good...'keep the continue'

The General

I am really glad to see you take this approach and I do wish you much success and a long healthy life, SIR!

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

another gorgeous mornin,here in the bluegrass,66 degrees,perfect for a good workout,one form of exercise i forgot to mention,is my garden,i try and rise as many veggies as i can,tomatoes,lettuce,onions,radishes,cucumbers,,,annd i just noticed that my one tomatoe plant,that didnt have a tomatoe on it,now has a tomatoe on it,a couple of my cucumbers are bloomin,lettuce aint worth a fk,and i dont know how,but i screwed the onions up,goin to plant some more,maybe this weekend...if you have never grown your own veggies,you dont know what youre missin,i very much enjoy the process,of growin it,preparing it,cookin it,a feeling of satisfaction,that is incomparable....time to hit the woods,before mr sun gets too high...'keep the continue'

The General

No I do not currently but most all past summers, I was well under way by now losing 15-25 lbs a summer but got lazy in winters. I can only ride a bike. I like the stationary for about 30-45 mins watching some TV and getting that cardio, Then maybe a walk around the block pre and post ride and stretching. As an ex-Marine, I know a lot about physical training and technique/ideas. The high I get after a nice workout is great.

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

when i got out to the soccer field,my body told me it needed a light day,soooo,i walked 2 miles,at about a 15 minute pace,,on the third round,i decided to see just how fast,i could walk a mile,i hadnt timed myself at that distance,in a couple weeks,and i think my best was 15:20,(when i first started on nov 22nd,a mile took me 23 minutes),i went as hard as i possibly could,and made it in 14:05,yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha,but i am tellin you that i left it all on the field,i couldnt have walked it one second faster,i finished with another mile of casual walkin,cooldown,etc....i expect to continue with the hiit 2mor,if not,ill be out there tryin to do a mile,in under 14 minutes.....im serious when i say,the rest of my life,will be the best of my life...'keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

this mornin,i hauled my ass up to the 1/4 mile track,near berea college,it had been a few weeks,since id timed myself, at a 1/4,and wanted to see if i could better my previous effort,cant recall the exact numbers,but i do rememeber,that i was always tryin to keep it under 4 minutes,,,today i did 1/4 in 2:58,i believe without a doubt,thats the fastest ive ever run that distance,when i was younger.i did a lot of hard work,but it would be more in the anaerobic category,rather than aerobic,(i guess these terms are correct,all i know about exercise,ive learned over the last year,on the internet,)...before i ran the 1/4,i warmed up walkin 4/4,at a normal speed,,,another area of growth for today,was an increase in the number of paces,that i could run,in the hiit phase,of my workout,from 75 paces to 100,,i ran 100 paces as hard as i possibly could,4 times,and my rest period would be,the time it took to walk back to the starting point...next exercise was climbin steps,they have a set of steps,that go almost straight up a hill,and its an ass kicker,91 of em,YES THATS NINETY ONE,hehehe,,,i went up them 4 times,and that was all the cardio i needed,on this gorgeous friday mornin,to insure that,the rest of my life,is the best of my life.....'keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

back out to the woods today,and mylegs told me they wanted to do some walkin,not runnin,sooo,i walked for app 3.5 miles,or iguess the more accurate term might be hiking,perfect weather this mornin,68 degrees,but,i need a good rain on my garden,ive spent several hours waterin it,(not a hose,buckets) today,but it doesnt really soak it,like a good rain does,theres only one reason,i did what i did 2day,,,i expect,the rest of my life,to be th best of my life...'keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

walked for 40 minutes this mornin,then spent the rest of the day,outside with the veggies,weights,etc...'keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

took a couple days off,(from cardio)id been goin at it really hard for a while,and my body needed to recover.while sittin around the garage,i realized i hadnt dropped any lbs,in about 2 months,and although i have gained some muscle,and lost inches on my stomach,i did some research,and decided that a change,is in order....walkin 3 or 4 miles,when you weigh 295,if you do it every day,the fat will come off,,,but,when you get down to 225,your body has adjusted,and all youre doin is maintaining the status quo,if you dont increase the intensity,you hit the old dreaded 'plateau",and i think thats what ive done....while my conditioning,(in the last 2 months)has improved,dramatically,ive got a deadline,of nov 1st,to be down to 200 pounds,and i intend to make it,come hell or high water..... been in the process of makin some weights,that i can carry down the hill,and back up it,(to my mailbox)ive started with 20 lbs on each arm,,,it takes me 6 minutes,to make the round trip,and im gettin stronger every day....sooo,now im fixin up (i drill holes in the blocks,and put wires etc through the hole,tape it up,and its another piece of my customized home made gym,hehehe...ps,if you try this at home,you might need gloves,all my years of painting,have made my hands calloused,and i dont need em)..its worked so well,that im now workin on some 35 pounders,whewwwww,,itll be interesting to see,whether i can make it up that hill,without stoppin....i know one thing,when i put a 35 lb concrete block,in each hand,and walk with it,(without the handles)it gets my attention,especially because that is exactly how much weight ive lost,no wonder i stayed so fkn tired....im adding the concrete blocks to my routine,for one reason,,i expect the rest of my life,to be the best of my life...'keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

took myself a little break,(from walkin)woke up this mornin feelin strong,so parked my car at walmart,and walked through this little town,70 minutes,round trip...had a sister to visit last night,(the same one,who brought me the thanksgivin dinner leftovers,was the last time she had seen me))and she was shocked,at the change in my appearance, i guess if you workout every day,6 and a half months adds up,im still at 225,but i think the weights have made all the difference,ive been liftin for maybe 2 months,and i feel like hercules,compared to the way i was...i would have never thought that weight trainin could be habit formin,but it is,once you get over the initial soreness,and feel yourself gettin stronger,you realize how out of shape you were...all those years of liftin 5 gallon buckets and 40 ft ladders,i thought i was pretty strong,NOT..if you dont use it,you WILL lose it....annnd,the rest of my life,is goin to be the best of my life...'keep the continue'

hahahha that was a good read by Jimmy Hoffa, I was reading nsane walkin thread, then all of a sudden saw Who do you like in tonights game haha

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

gettin ready to head out to the woods,...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha!!!!

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

ok fellers lets not sit on our ass durin bowl season...aint nothin like feelin good.."keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

after tellin everybody not to sit on their ass durin bowl season thats exactly what i did....aint been on the scale but know i've gained a few and i feel like crap.....makin a new commitment to walk every day for next 30 days for at least 30 minutes to 1 hr......got my transistor radio out and and walked for 30 minutes this afternoon just tryin to get my mojo back and that will take a couple weeks....."keep the continue"