greatest NFL game you ever saw in your life....

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
mine would have to be the music city miracle with tennessee beating buffalo in the playoffs with no seconds left running a kickoff return 75 yards for a touchdown.happened in 2000 playoffs.poor 'ol cursed buffalo......

munson15

I want winners...
Re: greatest NFL game you ever saw in your life....

Oakland 28, Miami 26, 1974 AFC Divisional Playoffs. Ended Miami's Super Bowl reign on a crazy Stabler pass w/ :26 to play. Last game the Dolphins spent as world champions. Shula's toughest loss emotionally. 5 lead changes, 4 in the final 15 minutes. Incredible game start to finish. A bushel of Hall-of-Famers involved, too. Tough to top that one.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Super Bowl 32

as a Broncos' fane since the first SB for them - and seeing each one get worse and worse to FINALLY win one - as a 2 TD dog was unreal and one coming down to the last second

i will NEVER forget John Mobley knocking away the pass to Chmura to give "us" the win

AT CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM 12-24-1988 (GRANDMA (RIP) was pissed her 2 sons and 2 granchildren were delaying christmas eve dinner), just recalled it was a crazy ending. (crazier than this writ-up I may add).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With Bernie Kosar injured and Strock ineffective, the Oilers built a 14-3 halftime lead behind tiny Allen Pinkett. The Browns turned to Mike Pagel and he led Cleveland back to within one, 24-23.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In one of the most bizarre finishes in playoff history, the Browns got three chances to recover an onside kickoff before the Oilers were allowed to kill the final seconds. Having survived Cleveland, the Oilers advanced to New Year's Day in balmy Buffalo.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Don Strock as a BROWN in the playoffs.​

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i watched this game too.i also remember the heartbreakers the browns played against john elway.denver killed the browns hopes over and over in the late 80's.on one of the games i think it snowed.might've been in '87 or '88 not sure.i know marty was coaching the browns.....

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

i watched this game too.i also remember the heartbreakers the browns played against john elway.denver killed the browns hopes over and over in the late 80's.on one of the games i think it snowed.might've been in '87 or '88 not sure.i know marty was coaching the browns.....

as a broncos' fan i recall each game - no snow on the field for either one

'87 was at "the mistake by the lake" and it was cold but i don't recall any snow on the field

'88 was in denver and once again i don't recall any snow on the field. i have a friend who is a long time browns' fan and when iw anna piss him off i will say something like: "Is that Jeremiah Castille over there" - and his reponse is usually one i can't repeat in public

'90 was in denver, too and i don't think there was snow that day, either

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i was just thinking about it.it snowed where i live that day.i knew it was either the game or where i lived but i do remember snow.this was probably in '87 because the game was at cleveland.

Is this in person or just in general? I wasn't there but it would be hard to top last year's Fiesta Bowl. The last few minutes and OT of that game couldn't have been scripted better.

In person I suppose the most thrilling was the Broncos beating the Chiefs in 1998 to tie the NFL record for most wins in a row. They were getting stomped at home to a crappy Chiefs team in the 1st half and then stormed back from down 21-7 after the 1st and then 31-21 midway through the 4th. I remember Elway threw for 400 yards. After the Broncos finally took the lead Mile High Stadium was shaking and didn't stop until the game and the chants of "Marty" ended.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i tell ya what 'ol marty has had more heartbreakers and close calls than anyone i know.i wouldn't say is he cursed.well yeah i guess i would say that.lol

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

that game in 1993 in the playoffs where buffalo was losing 35-3 in the third quarter and come back to beat houston oilers 41-38 was a pretty good one too.i heard that almost the whole stadium was empty in buffalo and then people started coming back.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Pats vs Rams in the SB in New Orleans, 36 I believe.

In person, I would say the same year when the Pats beat the Raiders in the infamous tuck rule game. I still cant believe he made that kick.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i still can't believe they got rid of "automatic adam" .man seems to go to a super bowl every year.how many does the last one make? at least 4 in this decade....

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Yeah, he has 4 total....
It hurt when he left, but we didnt lose any games b/c he was gone and we certainly didnt lose the Indy game b/c of our kicker. The rook is actually pretty good.

Jets-Dolphins at Giants Stadium where the Jets won 51-45 in overtime. Back in the Ken O'Brien/Dan Marino era.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Is this in person or just in general? .

Personally for myself since I'm a Tampa Bay fan, the 2002 NFC Championship in which the Bucs defeated the Eagles in Philly to go to their first Super Bowl.

Ronde Barber stepping in front of that McNabb pass to ice the game with a TD return as Philly threatened towards the end of regulation sticks out in my head even more so than Tampa actually winning the Super Bowl over the Raiders (48-21 by the way, lol:p )

sabian06

EOG Dedicated

This one is my favorite and I will never forget it as long as I live..........

In 1994, the Jets found themselves one game back of the Dolphins for the AFC East division lead heading into their November 27 match at the Meadowlands. In a game with first place on the line, the Jets held a 24-6 lead, outplaying the Dolphins for three quarters. However, Dan Marino led the Dolphins back with two touchdowns, thus making the score 24-21. Marino got the ball one last time and drove the Dolphins down the field to within the Jets five-yard line. With thirty seconds remaining, and the clock continuing to wind down, it appeared Marino was going to spike the ball to stop the clock and send out the field goal unit to tie the game. Instead, Marino took the snap from center, and after motioning as if he would spike the ball, fired the ball in the corner of the endzone past Aaron Glenn and into the hands of Mark Ingram. When the snap happened, the entire Jets defense froze thinking Marino spiked the ball. It was Ingram's fourth touchdown catch of the game, which tied a club record with former Dolphins wide receiver Paul Warfield. The touchdown gave the Dolphins a 28-24 victory, and Miami went on to win the division. The Jets went into a spiral after that play, losing all of their remaining games. Indeed, the game marked the beginning of a period of ignominy for the Jets as they compiled a record of 4-33 from that game to the end of the 1996 season.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Even though the my beloved Dolphins ended up on the wrong end, it would be the San Diego-Miami AFC Playoff overtime game. Damn Kellen winslow!!!

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Dan Fouts was involved in some great ones I recall.

Drafted in the third round out of the University of Oregon, Fouts helped lead the Chargers to the playoffs from 1979 to 1982 and twice to the AFC title game (1980 and 1981). He led the league four times in passing yards; ending his career with over 40,000, the third player to surpass that landmark. Fouts was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993.

Fouts was a 6-time Pro Bowl selection (1979-1983 & 1985) and compiled passer ratings over 90.0 for a 3-year stretch (1981-83). Fouts threw for over 4,000 yards for 3 consecutive seasons (1979-81), led the NFL in passing yards in 4 consecutive seasons(1979-1982) and 6 times eclipsed the 20-touchdown mark with a career high 33 in 1981. His career high of 4,802 passing yards during the 1981 season was an NFL record at the time. Fouts garnered All-Pro selections in both 1979 and 1982, while also being named 2nd Team All-Pro in 1980 and 1985. In addition Fouts was also named 2nd Team All-AFC in 1981 and 1983. However, Fouts and the Chargers lost both AFC Championship Games in which they played. The first one, in January 1981, was played in Cincinnati on one of the coldest days in NFL history). A stingy Bengal defense held the highly ranked San Diego offense to just seven points.

Fouts's first few years in the league were inauspicious, but with the arrival of Don "Air" Coryell in 1978 the Chargers' fortunes turned. Yet it was actually two years earlier, with the arrival of Bill Walsh as the Charger's offensive coordinator, that the seeds of success were planted. Under Coryell, the Chargers were known for the deep passing game and the involvement of the tight end as a key receiver. This required a tough, intelligent quarterback with a strong arm. Fouts filled the bill.

Fouts was not a mobile quarterback and the deep passing game led to many hits. Fouts's ability to take punishment and still play at a very high level is unique. Rarely using the shotgun, Fouts would drop back from center and look for one of a bevy of great receivers. Wide receiver Charlie Joiner and tight end Kellen Winslow were the most famous, both now in the Hall of Fame, but John Jefferson and Wes Chandler, among others, were also key. Pass protection was also critical for such an offense. The Chargers had an excellent offensive line which protected Fouts well, and included 4 time Pro Bowler Ed White, 5 time Pro Bowler Russ Washington, 3 time Pro Bowler Doug Wilkerson, Billy Shields and Don Macek.

Despite going to the playoffs from 1979 through 1982 and playing in 2 AFC Championship Games, the Chargers never went to the Super Bowl under Fouts (although they went 7 years after his retirement). Usually this is attributed to poor defense and their unwillingness to run the ball. In Fouts' prime the defense was not as stellar, but the running game became far better with the addition of James Brooks. The defense had little opportunity to improve as the offense often scored quickly, leaving the defense to spend far too much time on the field. Overall, the Chargers achieved three wins against four losses in the playoffs under Fouts, who threw for over 300 yards in all but two of those games. One of their more notable wins was a game known in NFL Lore as The Epic in Miami, where Fouts led his team to victory by completing 33 of 53 passes for a franchise record 433 yards and 3 touchdowns. His completions, attempts, and yards in the game were all NFL postseason records.

The following season, he threw for 333 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 31-28 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC divisional playoff round.

Dan Fouts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i'd have to say franco harris' "immaculate reception". pitt over oakland in '72.

that game in 1993 in the playoffs where buffalo was losing 35-3 in the third quarter and come back to beat houston oilers 41-38 was a pretty good one too.i heard that almost the whole stadium was empty in buffalo and then people started coming back.

Definitely the best game ever. For some unfathomable reason I watched the whole game. Buffalo looked like shit from the opening play. Houston could do not wrong.

Then they played the second half.

It was amazing. Even after Buffalo scored their 3rd touchdown, the announcers were not giving them much credit. Kept saying that they will run out of gas soon and all Houston had to do was get a decent drive going and Buffalo would be through.

That is one game where a tape of the announcers comments between plays would have been priceless.

Definitely the best game ever. For some unfathomable reason I watched the whole game. Buffalo looked like shit from the opening play. Houston could do not wrong.

Then they played the second half.

It was amazing. Even after Buffalo scored their 3rd touchdown, the announcers were not giving them much credit. Kept saying that they will run out of gas soon and all Houston had to do was get a decent drive going and Buffalo would be through.

That is one game where a tape of the announcers comments between plays would have been priceless.

I had Houston +3 in that game. I jinxed the play by putting a "W" by it at halftime. . . .Houston fired most of the defensive coaches after that game; if you recall, Buffalo was using the backup QB, Reich, and the Houston secondary looked like they'd never seen a four-wideout formation before. . . .

But back on topic; the championship game with Vince beating USC was BY FAR the best football game I've ever seen. Big plays by big players on both sides of the ball; both teams going for it on fourth down in the fourth quarter; multiple lead changes; and the unforgettable vision of Vince in the confetti stream after the game. . . .priceless (especially for a Longhorn fan).

P.S. Not really back on topic after all. The thread title refers to NFL. But the game had a lot of players who went on to star in the NFL.

Last edited:

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Put my vote in for Buffalo's come back over Houston in January of 1993

3 words: Frank Freaking Reich

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I had Houston +3 in that game. I jinxed the play by putting a "W" by it at halftime. . . .Houston fired most of the defensive coaches after that game; if you recall, Buffalo was using the backup QB, Reich, and the Houston secondary looked like they'd never seen a four-wideout formation before. . . .

i had the Bills -3 and as you can imagine long counted that one as an "L" and when i pushed i considered it a "W" because of where the game was and how it ended

to NOT lose money on that game was why i counted it as a win

I've never seen a more improbable win than 1)Jets/Dolphins on Monday night when they were down huge late in the 3rd quarter and won OR the 2)Bears win last year on monday night vs Arizona...never see anythng like that again!

d ray

EOG Dedicated

I've never seen a more improbable win than 1)Jets/Dolphins on Monday night when they were down huge late in the 3rd quarter and won OR the 2)Bears win last year on monday night vs Arizona...never see anythng like that again!

I agree with those 2, but how about the Bears 49errs game when Mike Brown returned an INT for a TD to end it, what a comeback that was.

mofome

Banned

redskins beating the cowgirls a couple years ago was a game that everyone had written off as a dallas win. then moss gets 2 99 and a half yard TDs in the last 3 seconds of the game and the skins prove, once again, why they are the best team ever.

sabian06

EOG Dedicated

another 1 that comes to mind is dolphins/cowboys thanksgiving day game.....the famous Leon Lett debacle:LMAO :LMAO .........also snow in dallas in november.......was kinda wierd

mofome

Banned

another 1 that comes to mind is dolphins/cowboys thanksgiving day game.....the famous Leon Lett debacle:LMAO :LMAO .........also snow in dallas in november.......was kinda wierd

that was aweomse. he went hard after that lose ball

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

In person the best game Ive seen was Superbowl 25 with the Bills and Giants.

On Tv the best game was the playoff game with SD and Miami. Cant remember the year, but it was the one where Winslow was carried off the field from exhaustion.

Best College game was Alabama vs Michigan in I believe the Sugar Bowl in the late 90s. Tom Brady was QB for Mich at the time and the game went back and forth. Bama missed an extra point and Mich went on to win.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

In person the best game Ive seen was Superbowl 25 with the Bills and Giants.

On Tv the best game was the playoff game with SD and Miami. Cant remember the year, but it was the one where Winslow was carried off the field from exhaustion.

Best College game was Alabama vs Michigan in I believe the Sugar Bowl in the late 90s. Tom Brady was QB for Mich at the time and the game went back and forth. Bama missed an extra point and Mich went on to win.

That bowl game was great, I completely forgot about that one. Good pick.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

And I think the spread was was a pickem or Michigan by .5 or 1....it definitely decided the game vs the spread...as well as the game obviously.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

And I think the spread was was a pickem or Michigan by .5 or 1....it definitely decided the game vs the spread...as well as the game obviously.

I think the line was 1. I know I had Michigan cause I was going nuts when they missed the extra point to get it into OT.

Most recently the afc championship game last season Indi vs. New England was a great game.

Live-79 playoff game Colts/Raiders
TV- The immaculate reception game.