Arenas, just another village idiot

Please just say I am a money hungry player.
Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas said Saturday that he will opt out of his contract after next season and become a free agent, according to a report on the Washington Post web site. Arenas, who signed a six-year, $65 million contract in the summer of 2003, said his decision is based on family and business concerns rather than feelings about the direction in which the Wizards are headed as an organization.
"To me, it's just a smarter business decision to play next season, opt out and then be able to sign a long-term deal that is going to keep me in one place,"

6 year $65 million, he should be set for life as well as all his family.
Why do they even bother to put these opt outs in contracts.
If I were a owner I would tell any agent that asked for one to kiss
my a$$. If you want a 4 year contract then thats what you get it
I so desire to offer. Otherwise your a$$ is mine for the 6 year
term. Now go out and produce me $65 million worth of basketball.

Re: Arenas, just another village idiot

he's an idiot for wanting 17 million a year instead of 10 million a year? huh, i disagree, sir. nothing wrong with going after the money. this is work. would you consider leaving your comany if you made twice as much?

Last edited:

he's an idiot for wanting 17 million a year instead of 6 million a year? huh, i disagree, sir. nothing wrong with going after the money. this is work. would you consider leaving your comany if you made twice as much?
Guess I'm just too freakin old school but I dislike all these players and
coaches that don't live up to their contract. Now I know he has an
opt out, so just say it truthfully if you want more money. Don't
lie and say it is about wanting to be in one place etc. When you do
it makes you look like AN IDIOT!

sabian06

EOG Dedicated

Well I can't say I am against players making more money.........Owners will drop a player like a sack of potatoes if he is not living up to his contract.........so what's wrong with a player wanting more money if he believes he has outplayed his contract?

Guess I'm just too freakin old school but I dislike all these players and
coaches that don't live up to their contract. Now I know he has an
opt out, so just say it truthfully if you want more money. Don't
lie and say it is about wanting to be in one place etc. When you do
it makes you look like AN IDIOT!

He is living up t his contact his contact gives him an opt out clause for which he can take advantage of. If the Wizards didn't give him that option this discussion wouldn't be taking place. It was agreed to on both sides when he signed his deal. What Mo said was right on if he feels he can make more so be it, that is human nature when you see the next guy making 17 million and you know you are better then him guess what you want 17 million now.

When did Gilbert say he wants to say in one place, he said its just business and he is upfront and honest about it. It's about making the most money you can while you can since that window to do so is quite small. This whole loyality thing is nice but its a fanasty for 99% of players since why should a player be loyal to a city when the second he starts to slump the city stops being loyal to that player.

Well I can't say I am against players making more money.........Owners will drop a player like a sack of potatoes if he is not living up to his contract.........When the players get dropped in the NBA they still get paid!
so what's wrong with a player wanting more money if he believes he has outplayed his contract?
No problem with it. People in this country stand behind their word less
every day. Just say it, come out and say "I can't live on $65 million
I need more money"

^^^ it's not about where you can live or not. But if you could get 90 mil instead of 65, wouldn't you try??

^^^ it's not about where you can live or not. But if you could get 90 mil instead of 65, wouldn't you try??
I'd live by the contract I signed. If I were a player and wanted to gamble
on the ever increasing salaries then I'd sign 1 year contracts. But
the smart thing to do is sign something and live up to it like a man.

I'd live by the contract I signed. If I were a player and wanted to gamble
on the ever increasing salaries then I'd sign 1 year contracts. But
the smart thing to do is sign something and live up to it like a man.

He is living by the contact he signed. His contact has an opt out claused he isn't breaking his word on anything he is not holding out he is going to honor the last year of it.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

He is living by the contact he signed. His contact has an opt out claused he isn't breaking his word on anything he is not holding out he is going to honor the last year of it.

thank you for saying what i was gonna say

Arenas has this clause in his contract - something the TEAM AGREED to give him - so what is he doing wrong?

he wants to play for a team with a LEGIT chance to win it all and he WILL get more money, too

he will also get a long-term contract - probably the final big money one of his career - so what is he doing wrong here?

NOTHING

mofome

Banned

thank you for saying what i was gonna say

Arenas has this clause in his contract - something the TEAM AGREED to give him - so what is he doing wrong?

he wants to play for a team with a LEGIT chance to win it all and he WILL get more money, too

he will also get a long-term contract - probably the final big money one of his career - so what is he doing wrong here?

NOTHING

he is playing on a team with a legit chance to win the east, hes not going to a team in the west to win it all. he wants more money, just like everyone else. thats fine.

he is playing on a team with a legit chance to win the east, hes not going to a team in the west to win it all. he wants more money, just like everyone else. thats fine.
My point exactly. What people don't understand about my post
is Arenas doesn't have the balls to just say I want more money.
Be a freakin man and say what you want.
But I still don't understand why owners give these opt out
contracts.
I would never offer a player or coach an opt out contract.

mofome

Banned

My point exactly. What people don't understand about my post
is Arenas doesn't have the balls to just say I want more money.
Be a freakin man and say what you want.
But I still don't understand why owners give these opt out
contracts.
I would never offer a player or coach an opt out contract.

eh, no matter what he says it will be a problem with someone. a guy says hes in the dunk contest b/c of the money and he gets fined. none of it matters, thats reality.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

BFD

he is playing on an inferior team in an inferior conference

he has NO PRAYER of winning anything with the Wizards. IF he wants to win it all he better go to a West team

LargeMouthBass

EOG Member

Mr. Fury, You are a joke. If you were Gilbert you'd be doing the same thing. If not, then you are an idiot. NBA is all business, you have to get much as possible before they trade or dump your ass like a day old newspaper. Don't hate, appreciate...

dmmd and winky are right, he is living up to his contract.

I agree Fury that they shouldn't put opt out's in the contract because there is no benefit to the player if only the player can opt out.

But you can't be mad at a guy for opting out of his contract when he has the option in his contract to opt out.

If I have it in my contract so that I can opt out, and more money is available if I do opt out, I'm going for the money. Not because I don't have honor, or dignity or loyalty, but because it was part of the deal that both parties made and I would expect the team to HONOR their end of the deal.

Mr. Fury, You are a joke. If you were Gilbert you'd be doing the same thing. If not, then you are an idiot. NBA is all business, you have to get much as possible before they trade or dump your ass like a day old newspaper. Don't hate, appreciate...
Your lack of reading skills show here.
The problem I have with Arenas is he plays chumps like you up for your
ignorance. It is all about MONEY and he doesn't have the balls to say
that. Instead he talks about a family decision and wanting to be in
one place his whole career. Now you may buy that crap and I would
love to sell to you any day but I am a little smarter than that.
It is about one thing only - MONEY!
And as for what I would do- you don't know me- I speak the
truth no matter if you like it or not. And if I was in an opt out contract
I would say it was about the money if I so desired. But also, just as
Andrew Jones gave the Braves a hometown discount on his current
deal, I am of like mind- THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MONEY, ESPECIALLY
WHEN YOU ARE COUNTING 10's OF MILLIONS. I don't buy the "he with
the most toys wins." I think that comes from a man with no moral
compass.
Also you talk about a player getting dumped in the NBA,
LOL your ignorance shows again. NBA = Getting payed no matter what.
If you get cut in the middle of a contract you get paid.
At the very least, the league should be asking the union that guaranteed contracts be limited to a maximum of three seasons. Certainly, a contract can run longer than three seasons, but only the first three are guaranteed, which would give teams more flexibility to cover past mistakes and allow them to maneuver their rosters to make everybody better.

ESPN.com: NBA - Let's make a new deal: no guaranteed contracts

"I don't like that idea," Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen said. "Teams have to take responsibility for the contracts they sign. They went out on a hunch and thought it would benefit them in the long run based on potential. That's always a bullet the team has to bite.

So please go study and know what you speak next time.

mofome

Banned

BFD

he is playing on an inferior team in an inferior conference

he has NO PRAYER of winning anything with the Wizards. IF he wants to win it all he better go to a West team

thats actually not true at all. the wizards were the top seed in the east for a while and the #2 seed before butler went down. they are young and they have guard coming in from spain and a big man they drafted in the first round last year. Blatche will keep improving and they have 2-3 all stars on the team as is. they are one of the best few teams in the east. thats not an opinion, thats a fact. if i was asking you something, i would have used a question mark. im telling you whats what.

LargeMouthBass

EOG Member

Your lack of reading skills show here.
The problem I have with Arenas is he plays chumps like you up for your
ignorance. It is all about MONEY and he doesn't have the balls to say
that. Instead he talks about a family decision and wanting to be in
one place his whole career. Now you may buy that crap and I would
love to sell to you any day but I am a little smarter than that.
It is about one thing only - MONEY!
And as for what I would do- you don't know me- I speak the
truth no matter if you like it or not. And if I was in an opt out contract
I would say it was about the money if I so desired. But also, just as
Andrew Jones gave the Braves a hometown discount on his current
deal, I am of like mind- THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MONEY, ESPECIALLY
WHEN YOU ARE COUNTING 10's OF MILLIONS. I don't buy the "he with
the most toys wins." I think that comes from a man with no moral
compass.
Also you talk about a player getting dumped in the NBA,
LOL your ignorance shows again. NBA = Getting payed no matter what.
If you get cut in the middle of a contract you get paid.
At the very least, the league should be asking the union that guaranteed contracts be limited to a maximum of three seasons. Certainly, a contract can run longer than three seasons, but only the first three are guaranteed, which would give teams more flexibility to cover past mistakes and allow them to maneuver their rosters to make everybody better.

ESPN.com: NBA - Let's make a new deal: no guaranteed contracts

"I don't like that idea," Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen said. "Teams have to take responsibility for the contracts they sign. They went out on a hunch and thought it would benefit them in the long run based on potential. That's always a bullet the team has to bite.

So please go study and know what you speak next time.

Boy, never get into sales cause you will never sell anything. It's called players embellishing the truth so they can get the most out of their new teams. You wouldn't know that because you are a good cashier at your local fastfood joint and very "loyal" that will never question your manager. Who gives a fuck about the reasons why he wants to be a free agent? It's his prerogative. Besides, there's no loyalty in sports, if you don't know that... wake up and smell your dentures old man... And YES, not just in sports, when people say it's not about the money, well it's about the money. Don't be a hater, you would do the same thing if you were him... except, you'd open your stupid mouth and fuck up a good deal.

mofome

Banned

LargeMouthBass<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_760479", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Member

awesome avatar

:houra :houra :houra

Boy, never get into sales cause you will never sell anything. It's called players embellishing the truth so they can get the most out of their new teams. You wouldn't know that because you are a good cashier at your local fastfood joint and very "loyal" that will never question your manager. Who gives a fuck about the reasons why he wants to be a free agent? It's his prerogative. Besides, there's no loyalty in sports, if you don't know that... wake up and smell your dentures old man... And YES, not just in sports, when people say it's not about the money, well it's about the money. Don't be a hater, you would do the same thing if you were him... except, you'd open your stupid mouth and fuck up a good deal.
Take the B out of your handle and it would be a perfect fit.
My no moral no moral compass statement would surely fit your
big ignorant mouth well.
If you think any GM would give him or any other player one dollar
extra for what you call embellishing then once again you show
how IGNORANT you are. LOL
Well maybe Billy Knight here in Atlanta for the Hawks, but no
other GM in any sport would give a penny extra for lies about why
he wants to opt out.
He says he wants to be in one place (his biggest lie) then why
would he leave because he is already secure with a contract
and with a good team that wants him.
You can buy his bag of shit, I'm a little smarter, wiser and
better off than you!
:dancefool

mofome

Banned

Take the B out of your handle and it would be a perfect fit.
My no moral no moral compass statement would surely fit your
big ignorant mouth well.
If you think any GM would give him or any other player one dollar
extra for what you call embellishing then once again you show
how IGNORANT you are. LOL
Well maybe Billy Knight here in Atlanta for the Hawks, but no
other GM in any sport would give a penny extra for lies about why
he wants to opt out.
He says he wants to be in one place (his biggest lie) then why
would he leave because he is already secure with a contract
and with a good team that wants him.
You can buy his bag of shit, I'm a little smarter, wiser and
better off than you!
:dancefool

but mr fury, if you take the 'B' out of his name it would say large mouth ass, and thats a mean thing to say.

:+clueless

mr. fury - don't know how much more clear arenas needs to be when he says he will not take 65 million over 6 years and wants 90-100 million!!!! HE IS SAYING HE WANTS MORE MONEY!!!! sure, he's saying he wants to play for a winner, etc. But clearly he has said this is about a bigger contract=money. So don't know where you are coming from, sir.

mr. fury - don't know how much more clear arenas needs to be when he says he will not take 65 million over 6 years and wants 90-100 million!!!! HE IS SAYING HE WANTS MORE MONEY!!!! sure, he's saying he wants to play for a winner, etc. But clearly he has said this is about a bigger contract=money. So don't know where you are coming from, sir.
He DID NOT come out and say that. He talks up the family and staying
in one place issues(which is stupid because he will now have to perhaps
uproot his family) but nowhere was he quoted as saying anything about
money or dollars. Only place he came close was in saying it was a business
decision. But I don't feel you spew out the, "I'm a player who just wants
to consider my family," when it is really, Damn I can't be letting player X
get more money than me BS.
ONCE AGAIN I FEEL LIKE PLAYERS LIKE ARENAS SHOULD JUST COME OUT
AND SAY I OPT OUT FOR MORE MONEY. Don't go throw in the family, live in
one place a better team crap. That shyte is for suckers.

It isn't like this was a unique contract people, all big NBA contracts are pretty standard now. If you stick with your team they can offer you one contract, go elsewhere you get another. The opt-out was created because players can make more money that way, they get to the years of service where they can earn bigger money. Its not like he is the only one who does this.

Gilbert needs to learn how to travel and flop more if he wants to win a title. He plays way too much by the rules. If you can't pull a King James 20 foot drive to the hoop with just on dribble or learn how to fly out of your shoes upon contact like Ginobili you can't win a title.

Word is Gilbert might be playing in Oaktown eventually. If so then Baron can go to DC and no harm would be done.

dirty

EOG Master

thats actually not true at all. the wizards were the top seed in the east for a while and the #2 seed before butler went down. they are young and they have guard coming in from spain and a big man they drafted in the first round last year. Blatche will keep improving and they have 2-3 all stars on the team as is. they are one of the best few teams in the east. thats not an opinion, thats a fact. if i was asking you something, i would have used a question mark. im telling you whats what.

I honestly believe that if they stayed healthy they had a great shot to represent the East in the finals... They were that good when playing well, they have to get a better inside presence like you said, but I believe that will come.

mofome

Banned

I honestly believe that if they stayed healthy they had a great shot to represent the East in the finals... They were that good when playing well, they have to get a better inside presence like you said, but I believe that will come.

yeah, and they were just getting songaila back after he missed the first few months. hes not a great player, but he can play. the entire team never really got to play together. they may get the guard from spain in this year and they should get the 7ft russian they drafted last year. hes got a decent jumped and is a good rebounder. we need to get rid of heywood before we do anything.
butler, arenas, and jamison are a tough group to stop. they need to play defense. i kinda think van gundy would have been a good guy to bring in, in some role with the team. hes a head coach though.

They are definitely on the rise while a lot of East teams are heading downhill. However I think everyone in the East is going to be looking up to the Bulls for awhile, even the LeBrons.

mofome

Banned

They are definitely on the rise while a lot of East teams are heading downhill. However I think everyone in the East is going to be looking up to the Bulls for awhile, even the LeBrons.

i agree with that. i, unwisely, picked the bulls to play SA this year. the bulls have a ton of talent like the wiz, but they will really get after it on defense. they have that heart/passion on both sides of the floor while the wiz seem to go in with the mentality that they can outscore other teams. The bulls, wiz, and tor will all be tough in the years to come. the wiz will be fine even if they lose arenas, b/c they replaced the worst GM in basketball, big Wes, with one of the best in Grunfeld. I dont think eddie jordan will get this team into the finals though, so we'll see if they make a change there or he proves that theory wrong. Tor is a talented team with players from all over the world and really good chemistry which i think is important. the Magic have a chance to be interesting in the east as well. bulls/wiz/cavs/tor are the teams i like in the east for the next several years.
the pistons sure could use Carmelo...