landscaping question...

mofome

Banned
we just had a pool filled in. fille up with junk and covered a ton of area with dirt. the problem is, the dirt that was used has a Ton of rocks in it. we need to grow grass over the area now and have it evened out some. we've had a decent amount of rain the last couple days and there are some spots where we've now got puddles. what is the best way to get grass to grow on such a surface? some of the land is covered by shade most of the day as well. thanksss

:cheers

andrew748

Banned
Re: landscaping question...

lawn from turf.

roll the soil to make it level, removing surface rocks etc.

aerate the soil with spikes etc.

buy good quality turf.

lay turf on the soil , cut to shape.

water turf and stand guard over same for minimum of one week, shooting anything larger than a cat that treads on it.

roll after 1 week preferably 2.

do not allow the turf to dry out completely for the next 6 weeks.

and roll turf another 2 times and aerate on the 5th week.

after 6 weeks invite friends around and have a bbq.

:)

lawn from seeds

forget it patchy nightmare and weird yellow stains.

mofome

Banned

lawn from turf.

roll the soil to make it level, removing surface rocks etc.

aerate the soil with spikes etc.

buy good quality turf.

lay turf on the soil , cut to shape.

water turf and stand guard over same for minimum of one week, shooting anything larger than a cat that treads on it.

roll after 1 week preferably 2.

do not allow the turf to dry out completely for the next 6 weeks.

and roll turf another 2 times and aerate on the 5th week.

after 6 weeks invite friends around and have a bbq.

:)

lawn from seeds

forget it patchy nightmare and weird yellow stains.

the thing is, when i remove the rocks, which there are 1 million of, there are rocks in the dirt underneath a lot of it.

i need to get this done cheaply but have to get something done that will actually give us some grass. i will probably just rake the dirt up, put down some soil, spread some seed, put down some straw, and see what we get.

:cocktail

Rolled turf would be the best alternative, also the mostest expensivest.

Rake the ground lightly to break the surface and sprinkle seed liberally.

Rain will do what rain does. Let it go.

Wait a few weeks and when the new grass is two inches high seed the bald spots, again breaking the soil, but tread lightly around seeded portions.

There is no need to reseed portions that are growing. Do not worry about thickness either, the grass will fill itself in.

You may need to repeat this several times.

May look like hell this year, but it should be a lot fuller next year.

andrew748

Banned

the thing is, when i remove the rocks, which there are 1 million of, there are rocks in the dirt underneath a lot of it.

i need to get this done cheaply but have to get something done that will actually give us some grass. i will probably just rake the dirt up, put down some soil, spread some seed, put down some straw, and see what we get.

:cocktail
cheapest option but don't expect a putting green finish :)

Katie

EOG Master

mo, i would come out and fix it for you but i'm busy on eog..:)

The Devil

EOG Master

we just had a pool filled in. fille up with junk and covered a ton of area with dirt. the problem is, the dirt that was used has a Ton of rocks in it. we need to grow grass over the area now and have it evened out some. we've had a decent amount of rain the last couple days and there are some spots where we've now got puddles. what is the best way to get grass to grow on such a surface? some of the land is covered by shade most of the day as well. thanksss

:cheers

Hire a few illegals and give them rakes to pull the rocks out. Get a few chubby ones to roll around on the dirt after the rocks are removed to give it a nice flat finish.

gofer5

EOG Addicted

Hire a few illegals and give them rakes to pull the rocks out. Get a few chubby ones to roll around on the dirt after the rocks are removed to give it a nice flat finish.

Check with your buddy Deed's, I'm sure he could help you find some illegals. The following is a quote from Dirty.

I know it for a Fact too Wildbill.. My dad has a Company and employs about 35 Mexicans and I had a Company that employed over 10... They showed us Documents that were legit... The INS would come check and we show them the paper work and they would leave saying there was nothing they could do. Even though we knew they were Illegal Most likely, we could not prove it if they paid their taxes and showed Proper paperwork....And Contrary to what people believe...Those guys started out at $12 an hour just like the Americans did... They all made the same wage...

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

roll the new lawn with a roller even out low spots with a dirt rake
if rocks are to close to surface lawn will burnout in hot weather
use shade grass ,but noting does well w/o sun
ever see like a burned out square in a lawn and said wtf , good bet theres a sepic tank in there , metal rocks with heat
u need about 3 in of topsoil over the bank run, youll be f/en up the mower blade , cut newgrass high, with a just sharped blade

ClubmanCoop

EOG Veteran

haha, we're moving, we just need grass.

Then order top soil, seed and water
The KEY is dont get lazy, make sure you water properly, no big puddles and a light spray a few times a day and/or move the sprinkler every few hrs

BOL :cheers

dirty

EOG Master

roll the new lawn with a roller even out low spots with a dirt rake
if rocks are to close to surface lawn will burnout in hot weather
use shade grass ,but noting does well w/o sun
ever see like a burned out square in a lawn and said wtf , good bet theres a sepic tank in there , metal rocks with heat
u need about 3 in of topsoil over the bank run, youll be f/en up the mower blade , cut newgrass high, with a just sharped blade

Nedrow Knows.... :cheers:cheers:cheers