Simulation results Thursday

BSims

EOG Addicted
Well, the simulations for Thursday nights game like Sabathia and the Indians over the Red Sox and Beckett. The Indians won 55% of the 3000 games, with 61% resulting in totals under 8.5 runs.

Once again, I'm not personally comfortable with the results. Partially because I'm on Cleveland in the series, and don't like doubling up. Also, I personally hate taking the under. When you do, it seems like the games take all night. You can never get comfortable.

But, as I've said in the past, my personal judgement is no better than anyone else's, hence is a losing proposition in the long run. I do very well just following the numbers.

Now, if I could just come up with a winnable system for football and basketball.

munson15

I want winners...
Re: Simulation results Thursday

Looks like your instincts were right on the side, and the under came in.

BSims

EOG Addicted

Yep, my instincts are right about 40% of the time. Lets see, 40% at -110, hell no wonder I couldn't win. At least with the simulations, I net a profit.

By the way, the early simulation results have Cleveland at 54% and the under at 66%. I don't have an instinctive feeling about the game. It's more fear that Boston will win (I've a sizable amount on Cleveland in the series). And like I said in the earlier post, I'd probably take the over because I prefer to do that.

Most likely, I'll pass on the game, just let my series position on Cleveland provide the rooting interest. Besides, my two daughters, two sister in laws, one brother in law, and two dogs are descending on our house for the weekend. Probably won't even see the game.

munson15

I want winners...

Yep, my instincts are right about 40% of the time. Lets see, 40% at -110, hell no wonder I couldn't win. At least with the simulations, I net a profit.

By the way, the early simulation results have Cleveland at 54% and the under at 66%. I don't have an instinctive feeling about the game. It's more fear that Boston will win (I've a sizable amount on Cleveland in the series). And like I said in the earlier post, I'd probably take the over because I prefer to do that.

Most likely, I'll pass on the game, just let my series position on Cleveland provide the rooting interest. Besides, my two daughters, two sister in laws, one brother in law, and two dogs are descending on our house for the weekend. Probably won't even see the game.
An unenviable position to be in-I mean all the visitors, not the Cleveland series play!:smokesmal Did you see Culver's post where he hedged out of the Cleveland series bet by taking a smaller one on Boston at 4-1 prior to last night's game? I know it's too late for that now, just wondering what your stand is on hedging. Thanks.:cheers

BSims

EOG Addicted

Did you see Culver's post where he hedged out of the Cleveland series bet by taking a smaller one on Boston at 4-1 prior to last night's game? I know it's too late for that now, just wondering what your stand is on hedging. Thanks.:cheers
Hedging is an interesting question/problem. I do it, and hate it. It seems that is costs me more money than it makes me. But, I still do it, and do it poorly.

It is an interesting anlaysis though. Take your example. I did consider taking a position on Boston two days ago at +400. Would have been a good hedge in that I could have guaranteed about a 60% return on my initial position (as opposed to an expected 15% when I took the position). Seems like an obvious choice.

But, Boston would have to win 3 games in a row to make the second position a good one. To do this, they would have to have a slightly over 60% chance to win each game. Now, it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Now that I think about it, you could classify hedges in two groups. Those that occur before the contest (or in this case series) starts. Effectively, you are scalping. That probably would be a good idea. If you remain on one side, then you have an expected return of some number, say +1.05. On the other hand, if you scalp, then your expected return is infinite, since you aren't risking anything. But the actual return is obviously much smaller than if you stick with one side and win.

The answer to this dilema is probably obvious to guys with more experience, but it isn't to me. I suppose I could build a simualtion modeland test different scenerios, and I might do that. (I once did this with craps, trying to figure out if I had a $100, what was the best way to bet to give me the highest expected return. Turns out, it was put a $100 on the table and throw the dice once, then walk away. That became obvious after I saw the results.)

The other type is hedging during a contest or series. The fact that a hedge exists, implies the contest is going your way and your chances of winning are better than they were when you started. Now, assuming you did good work in handicapping the contest, and that work seems to be proving out, it probably does not make sense to hedge.

But here is where I fail, I do. Like yesterday, I liked both Purdue and Indiana to cover. Since they were both on TV, I took those sides. But at halftime, I hedged both. In the Indiana case, after watching the first half, I judged the first conclusion as probably being bad and wanted to cover my ass. In the Purdue case, I hedged to create a potential middle situation. Alas, both were mistakes, my initial positions were winner, but I gave away most of the profit.

So inconclusion, I guess I think it's a bad idea. But I do it, and will continue to do it. That's why I tell people gambling is ievil. It makes you hate yourself in the morning.