WHEN ARE SOME BOOKIES GOING TO LEARN NOT TO MOVE THE LINE OFF OF SQUARES?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated
Re: WHEN ARE SOME BOOKIES GOING TO LEARN NOT TO MOVE THE LINE OFF OF SQUARES?

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER:

:finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :bank:

Yep, you're all class!

The Devil

EOG Master

LOL..................I was staying at Frankfort Ky going to keeneland everyday in the early 90's and drove up to river Downs one day when keeneland was dark. That was when they didn't have an announcer at keeneland, it was surreal, to say the least. i never heard so many people clapping for the winning jockey in my life. And usually the winning jockey was pat day........also went to the red mile when i was there too. I was in heaven, drank more bourbon than was humanly possible..................and still get to the track before the first race. I bet we would get along pretty good D!

ONLY IF YOU SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR WAYWARD POLITICAL VIEWS.....:houra :houra :houra :houra :houra

The Devil

EOG Master

Yep, you're all class!

I KNEW YOU WOULD FIGURE THAT OUT SOONER OR LATER..........

BY THE WAY......WHEN YOU FIGURE OUT THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS I WILL BE AROUND TO LISTEN.........AND 1000'S OF BOOKIES WILL BE SO MUCH WISER..........

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I KNEW YOU WOULD FIGURE THAT OUT SOONER OR LATER..........

BY THE WAY......WHEN YOU FIGURE OUT THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS I WILL BE AROUND TO LISTEN.........AND 1000'S OF BOOKIES WILL BE SO MUCH WISER..........

I will gladly answer your questions as soon as you answer mine!

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

ONLY IF YOU SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR WAYWARD POLITICAL VIEWS.....:houra :houra :houra :houra :houra
We could always debate who was better................Dimaggio or Mays?

The Devil

EOG Master

I understand completely. When bookmakers take equal action on a game they are booking; when they take unequal action on a game they are gambling with that unequal portion of the action. What's so hard for you to understand?

IF THIS IS YOUR QUESTION?

ALL BOOKMAKERS HAVE TO BE GAMBLERS TO SOME DEGREE......THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY ANY STORE WITH MORE THAN 200 CUSTOMERS CAN HAVE EQUAL ACTION ON ALL GAMES.......

WELL I SHOULDN'T SAY NO POSSIBLE WAY.......THEY COULD SHUT DOWN 10 MINUTES TO POST ON EACH GAME AND LAYOFF TO ANOTHER BOOK, BUT IF THEY DID THAT, THEY WOULD SOON BE OUT OF CUSTOMERS......AND THEY ALSO WOULD HAVE TO HOPE THE OTHER STORE IS USING THE SAME NUMBER THAT THEY BOOKED AT......

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, YOU ARE CLUELESS AS TO HOW THE BUSINESS RUNS....IN THEORY YOU ARE CORRECT, BUT IT DOESN'T PAN OUT IN THE REAL WORLD........

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

IN THEORY YOU ARE CORRECT, .

Thank you...of course I am correct, like I said, it wasn't even debatable or controversial.

Now you asked...
"WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPLAIN HOW YOU GET EQUAL ACTION ON ALL GAMES? WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH TEASERS OR PARLAYS? WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DO WITH FUTURES OR HORSE RACES?"

First of all, I never said or implied that a bookmaker always got equal action on all games. He should try to get equal action; one way is by opening the correct line; in the old days in Vegas, 10-20 years ago, this was done by the Stardust opening the lines and taking dime bets until the lines equilibrated and then the other shops would open that adjusted line. This role has now been taken over by CRIS and Pinnacle I believe. The other way to attempt to get equal action is to move the line in response to money being bet on one side. I have previously stated in this thread that this is the art of bookmaking, ie. knowing when to move the line and knowing when to hold the line so as to not get middled on a game.

Secondly, I don't think I need to explain what bookmakers need to do with parlays/teasers and/or futures/horse bets as the odds as so in favor of the bookmaker that even an imbecile like Rainbow could book those bets!

The Devil

EOG Master

Thank you...of course I am correct, like I said, it wasn't even debatable or controversial.

Now you asked...
"WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPLAIN HOW YOU GET EQUAL ACTION ON ALL GAMES? WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH TEASERS OR PARLAYS? WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DO WITH FUTURES OR HORSE RACES?"

First of all, I never said or implied that a bookmaker always got equal action on all games. He should try to get equal action; one way is by opening the correct line; in the old days in Vegas, 10-20 years ago, this was done by the Stardust opening the lines and taking dime bets until the lines equilibrated and then the other shops would open that adjusted line. This role has now been taken over by CRIS and Pinnacle I believe. The other way to attempt to get equal action is to move the line in response to money being bet on one side. I have previously stated in this thread that this is the art of bookmaking, ie. knowing when to move the line and knowing when to hold the line so as to not get middled on a game.

Secondly, I don't think I need to explain what bookmakers need to do with parlays/teasers and/or futures/horse bets as the odds as so in favor of the bookmaker that even an imbecile like Rainbow could book those bets!

CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW A BOOKMAKER WOULD KNOW WHEN TO MOVE THE LINE AND NOT GET MIDDLED?

ARE YOU SAYING A BOOK SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT PARLAYS AND TEASERS, FUTURES AND HORSES AS THEY CAN'T LOSE AND THAT IS NOT GAMBLING?

The Devil

EOG Master

WE CAN FINISH THIS DISCUSSION LATER AS I HAVE A DATE WITH A FEW DOZEN BUFFALO WINGS AT PLANET WINGS LINED UP FOR THE NEXT HOUR OR SO............THINK I WILL TRY THE BBQ TERIYAKI WINGS TODAY.........

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW A BOOKMAKER WOULD KNOW WHEN TO MOVE THE LINE AND NOT GET MIDDLED?

ARE YOU SAYING A BOOK SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT PARLAYS AND TEASERS, FUTURES AND HORSES AS THEY CAN'T LOSE AND THAT IS NOT GAMBLING?
Forget it D! Enjoy your lunch!:cheers

munson15

I want winners...

WE CAN FINISH THIS DISCUSSION LATER AS I HAVE A DATE WITH A FEW DOZEN BUFFALO WINGS AT PLANET WINGS LINED UP FOR THE NEXT HOUR OR SO............THINK I WILL TRY THE BBQ TERIYAKI WINGS TODAY.........
Devil, when you come in for that round of golf I promised you, I'll take you to the "world's 2nd best" hot wing place, a little joint up the road from here called the Windsor Inn. Fantastic wing sauce with big juicy chicken wings to go with it. :thumbsup

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I said this about moving the line...
"The other way to attempt to get equal action is to move the line in response to money being bet on one side. I have previously stated in this thread that this is the art of bookmaking, ie. knowing when to move the line and knowing when to hold the line so as to not get middled on a game."

...I am not a bookmaker; I do not presume to know the "art" of bookmaking, but it is much more difficult than what Rainbow says...

"WHEN WISEGUYS BET THE GAME THE LINE WILL GET MOVED."

...the problem with this is that "wiseguys" are defined as long term winners, and "squares" are defined as long term losers, but you don't know that before the game is played. The square may win and the wiseguy may lose. The only thing you know for certain before the game is how much you have bet on each side. Rainbow saying that he never moves the line off of square money is just ridiculous. So let's say that 90-95% of the action is all on side A and Rainbow determines in his mind that's it's all "square money", so he doesn't move the line. He's therefore only booking 10-20% of the action and gambling the other 80-90%. Now if that 80-90% is a reasonable figure that he can afford to lose, then fine, go ahead and gamble...I like to gamble also. But the bookmaker has to set a limit of what he can afford to take on a game and either lay off some of the money or move the line to stop the one sided action. That's just common sense.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

O, in regards to parlays, I said and I repeat...
"Secondly, I don't think I need to explain what bookmakers need to do with parlays/teasers and/or futures/horse bets as the odds as so in favor of the bookmaker that even an imbecile like Rainbow could book those bets!"
...of course it's still gambling but with such a big edge for the bookie that he doesn't have to be as careful as he is with straight action. Horses are different depending if you participate in the pari-mutuel pool like the Vegas books do now or book your own which is a very risky, but rewarding wager for the offshore books.

rainbow

EOG Master

I said this about moving the line...
"The other way to attempt to get equal action is to move the line in response to money being bet on one side. I have previously stated in this thread that this is the art of bookmaking, ie. knowing when to move the line and knowing when to hold the line so as to not get middled on a game."

...I am not a bookmaker; I do not presume to know the "art" of bookmaking, but it is much more difficult than what Rainbow says...

"WHEN WISEGUYS BET THE GAME THE LINE WILL GET MOVED."

...the problem with this is that "wiseguys" are defined as long term winners, and "squares" are defined as long term losers, but you don't know that before the game is played. The square may win and the wiseguy may lose. The only thing you know for certain before the game is how much you have bet on each side. Rainbow saying that he never moves the line off of square money is just ridiculous. So let's say that 90-95% of the action is all on side A and Rainbow determines in his mind that's it's all "square money", so he doesn't move the line. He's therefore only booking 10-20% of the action and gambling the other 80-90%. Now if that 80-90% is a reasonable figure that he can afford to lose, then fine, go ahead and gamble...I like to gamble also. But the bookmaker has to set a limit of what he can afford to take on a game and either lay off some of the money or move the line to stop the one sided action. That's just common sense.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

O, in regards to parlays, I said and I repeat...
"Secondly, I don't think I need to explain what bookmakers need to do with parlays/teasers and/or futures/horse bets as the odds as so in favor of the bookmaker that even an imbecile like Rainbow could book those bets!"
...of course it's still gambling but with such a big edge for the bookie that he doesn't have to be as careful as he is with straight action. Horses are different depending if you participate in the pari-mutuel pool like the Vegas books do now or book your own which is a very risky, but rewarding wager for the offshore books.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, I'M NOT GOING TO MOVE A LINE PERIOD OFF OF SQUARES, SIMPLY BECAUSE I KNOW THEY CAN'T WIN LONGTERM. I'M NOT SPEAKING OF ONE OR TWO THREE OR WHATEVER GAMES I'M SPEAKING LONGTERM. THEY SURE DONT HAVE GA METTINGS FOR WISEGUYS. BOTTOMLINE IF YOU KNOW YOUR PLAYERS IN THIS BUSINESS,ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE BOOKING PERIOD.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, I'M NOT GOING TO MOVE A LINE PERIOD OFF OF SQUARES, SIMPLY BECAUSE I KNOW THEY CAN'T WIN LONGTERM. I'M NOT SPEAKING OF ONE OR TWO THREE OR WHATEVER GAMES I'M SPEAKING LONGTERM. THEY SURE DONT HAVE GA METTINGS FOR WISEGUYS. BOTTOMLINE IF YOU KNOW YOUR PLAYERS IN THIS BUSINESS,ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE BOOKING PERIOD.

UNDERSTAND YOU ONLY MOVE LINES ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE EQUATED WITH LONG-TERM WINNING ACTION.

THUS, ALL LINES THAT ARE ACTUALLY MOVED BY YOU SIMPLY REVEAL WHERE LONG-TERM WINNING ACTION RESTS, WHILE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED BY EVERYONE IN THE REST OF THE MARKET?

IN THE MEANTIME, THE REST OF THE MARKET IS MOVING THEIR PRICES ON PERCEIVED LONG-TERM LOSING ACTION (ANOTHER PRESUMPTION OF YOURS?) WHICH PROVIDES THE PERCEIVED LONG-TERM WINNING ACTION BETTER PRICING DRAWING THE WINNING ACTION AWAY FROM YOU AND TO THEM, WHILE THE SHOPPERS THAT HAPPEN UPON YOU WILL BEGIN STEAMING YOU ON THE PERCEIVED LONG-TERM LOSING SIDE.

IS THAT THE GIST OF YOUR PERCEPTION, TO DRAW AS MUCH PRECEIVED LONG-TERM LOSING ACTION AS POSSIBLE HOPING YOUR SHORT-TERM BR CAN WEATHER ANY SHORT-TERM STORMS?

BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE REST OF THE MARKET MOVES THERE PRICING ACCORDING TO WHAT THEY PERCEIVE IS THE LONG-TERM WINNING SIDE?DO YOU THEN FOLLOW MARKET PRICING OR GET STEAMED BY SHOPPERS FROM ANOTHER'S PERCEPTION OF THE WINNING SIDE?

CARE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DO TO MINIMIZE YOUR RISK EXPOSURE WHEN YOUR PERCEPTIONS HAPPEN TO BE ON A RARE SHORT-TERM LOSING STREAK?

IS STEAM A LONG-TERM WINNER OR LOSER?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT...(why are you shouting?)...I know that, you said that before which is why I said you're an idiot/imbecile/fill-in-the-blank-epithet.

Bottomline, you can't possibly know all your players and even if you did, you can't possibly know which players are square and which are wiseguys.

And I repeat, you are not booking but gambling when you take unbalanced action, and it is very possible, even probable that you can and will lose if you keep doing it!

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT...(why are you shouting?)

Bottomline, you can't possibly know all your players and even if you did, you can't possibly know which players are square and which are wiseguys.

I hate to break the news to you bud but you give me anyones betting slip on this baord and in three seconds i will tell you what kind of bettor he is. Its not that hard. Its actually simple.

rainbow

EOG Master

RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT...(why are you shouting?)...I know that, you said that before which is why I said you're an idiot/imbecile/fill-in-the-blank-epithet.

And I repeat, you are not booking but gambling when you take unbalanced action, and it is very possible, even probable that you can and will lose if you keep doing it!
WELL,I HAVE SOME BAD NEWS TO TELL YOU, I KNOW ALL OF THE CUSTOMERS, AND I ALSO KNOW EVERYTIME A BEARD COMES IN. IN THIS BUSINESS YOU EITHER HAVE IT OR YOU DON'T, I WAS BLESSED WITH A PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY WHICH HELPS ME OUT TREMENDOUSLY. I SPENDALOT OF TIME IN THE OFFICE AND I'M 100% DEDICATED TO THIS BUSINESS.

rainbow

EOG Master

I hate to break the news to you bud but you give me anyones betting slip on this baord and in three seconds i will tell you what kind of bettor he is. Its not that hard. Its actually simple.
ITS NOT THAT EASY, I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS WAY TOO LONG TO KNOW ITS NOT THAT EASY. ITS SO MANY DAYS YOU WILL GET SO MANY PHONY PLAYS THATS WHERE THE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWING THIS BUSINESS COMPLETELY COMES IN, OUTSIDE OF THIS BUSINESS I WOULD PROBABLY BE A DUMMY,BUT WHEN IT COMES TO KNOWING THIS BUSINESS COMPLETELY, I WILL GO AGAINST ANYONE LIVING, I DON'T CARE WHO IT IS.

kingwasabi

EOG Member

Aside from all the debating going on, I have a honest question:

Aside from the obvious games that will attract the squares putting the wiseguys on the other side, do you know at the beginning of the week all the games that the wiseguys will be on before you pick up the phone? If so, how?

The Devil

EOG Master

Aside from the obvious games that will attract the squares putting the wiseguys on the other side, do you know at the beginning of the week all the games that the wiseguys will be on before you pick up the phone? If so, how?

NO................

kingwasabi

EOG Member

Honest question:

Is there no in between?

ok, my card is Penn St and Idaho...

rainbow

EOG Master

NOWAY POSSIBLE THAT ANYONE WOULD KNOW ALL THE GAMES THE WISEGUYS WILL PLAY BEFORE THEY PICK UP THE PHONE. ONLY GOD WOULD KNOW THAT.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

ITS NOT THAT EASY, I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS WAY TOO LONG TO KNOW ITS NOT THAT EASY. ITS SO MANY DAYS YOU WILL GET SO MANY PHONY PLAYS THATS WHERE THE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWING THIS BUSINESS COMPLETELY COMES IN, OUTSIDE OF THIS BUSINESS I WOULD PROBABLY BE A DUMMY,BUT WHEN IT COMES TO KNOWING THIS BUSINESS COMPLETELY, I WILL GO AGAINST ANYONE LIVING, I DON'T CARE WHO IT IS.

Obviously you don't know how to read a line because it is that easy. Squares will be all over SD, Wash, and then they will take GBay Dallas,TB,Tenn. As for the NE game the books are just raising that line to fool people. The majority of money comes in the last two hours and thats when they hardly even move the line. This line is gonna get to the point where they will get a lot of Indy money when its all said and done.

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member

NO WAY POSSIBLE THAT ANYONE WOULD KNOW ALL THE GAMES THE WISEGUYS WILL PLAY BEFORE THEY PICK UP THE PHONE. ONLY GOD WOULD KNOW THAT.

While most certainly true, it used to be awfully fun back in the day, when our sheets had some, if not almost the entire shopping list of orders for the Lunatics, Doc M's parameters, Tomato, Hoops,etc..for that week's upcoming NCAA Foots, as early as Sunday night and Monday morning before the stores opened, via runners, clerks, movers, middlers, and BMs..before the midweek wave of some buy-backs, middle-attempts, and number-buys..which also could be gathered with calls.

Info was/is everything!

It was a much funner industry..the way the old game used to be played out.

How many weeks did you waste to find a two-year old thread to post to?

BTW - lose the loser avatar, everyone knows that the most dominant sports conference is the Big East :+textinb3

Coach LT

EOG Enthusiast

While most certainly true, it used to be awfully fun back in the day, when our sheets had some, if not almost the entire shopping list of orders for the Lunatics, Doc M's parameters, Tomato, Hoops,etc..for that week's upcoming NCAA Foots, as early as Sunday night and Monday morning before the stores opened, via runners, clerks, movers, middlers, and BMs..before the midweek wave of some buy-backs, middle-attempts, and number-buys..which also could be gathered with calls.

Info was/is everything!

Horseshoe, good to see you are still kicking. As a Gator I loved chanting SEC SEC SEC as The Ohio State Buckeyes took their 41-14 beatdown in Glendale Az on Jan 07. Swing level and run like the devil. :cheers LT

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Info was/is everything!

Sure was...100% agree...

Rainbow...you would have made a great tout if you had ever wished to change professions....(this should get him out of retirement) I can count hundreds of times Rainbow has told me I forgot more in this business than I will ever know.....but if I ever decide to write a book, Rainbow my friend, you will be in a few chapters...

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member

Coach LT, I look forward towards yours, Coach, and Box's plays, and also some Gator game angles this Fall. You dealt with Frankie M, and also for bit with my family many years ago, before they retired..my father called you The Fireman.

Viejo, I believe that I may have met you briefly in a LVCC condo back many moons ago?

Rainbow, if I don't know you personally, I believe that I know some of your brothers, knew former stateside bosses, and you assuredly know and knew much of my family.

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member

VD, are you the former Air Traffic Controller?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Ronald Reagan was ready to concede to the controllers until the Viejo Dinosaur tried to slide that free lunches clause into the contract negotiations.

munson15

I want winners...

Ronald Reagan was ready to concede to the controllers until the Viejo Dinosaur tried to slide that free lunches clause into the contract negotiations.
:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

rainbow

EOG Master

Sure was...100% agree...

Rainbow...you would have made a great tout if you had ever wished to change professions....(this should get him out of retirement) I can count hundreds of times Rainbow has told me I forgot more in this business than I will ever know.....but if I ever decide to write a book, Rainbow my friend, you will be in a few chapters...
Never in my life have I ever ran an office on the GRAVEYARD SHIFT, I always was there when it was CRUNCH TIME, and since you mentioned it I have forgot more than you will ever know in this BUSINESS, someone like EDGAR would never knock me off of any saddle... you DEFINTELY are a VERY GOOD TALKER, don't take my word, ask Larry from DELMAR or whoever, do I know this BUSINESS or not, and PS: also ask anyone that knows me do I know WISEGUYS, I don't FEED WISEGUYS WITH SQUARES MONEY... GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RETIREMENT......

OSU COWBOYS

EOG Dedicated

Rainbow,

Did you get back in? Hope so.

Its like bookmaking 101....Simple...

When I was taking a squares line back in the apple, I had a guy betting 10-15 dimes on Monday Night Games.....ALWAYS THE FAVORITE...

Line was 7.5.....When he called at 8:50 that line went to 9...he bet 15k on Denver minus 9....I shipped the bet to 3 other books and got 7, and 7.5...The game was at 8 with 2 minutes to go....Elam kicked a 42 yarder...Denver won by 11....

We had the whole thing....30K go on one kick....Now, I dont fuuck with the lines......They move accordingly.....

rainbow

EOG Master

Its like bookmaking 101....Simple...

When I was taking a squares line back in the apple, I had a guy betting 10-15 dimes on Monday Night Games.....ALWAYS THE FAVORITE...

Line was 7.5.....When he called at 8:50 that line went to 9...he bet 15k on Denver minus 9....I shipped the bet to 3 other books and got 7, and 7.5...The game was at 8 with 2 minutes to go....Elam kicked a 42 yarder...Denver won by 11....

We had the whole thing....30K go on one kick....Now, I dont fuuck with the lines......They move accordingly.....
How so TRUE that was, matter of a fact we even let some of the players bet off the latest line in the newspaper......

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member

matter of a fact we even let some of the players bet off the latest line in the newspaper

That surely must've been during your JK/La days, not offshore era?