Les Miles staying in Baton Rouge

Journeyman

EOG Master
Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/about.html"]Jim Varney, Staff writer[/URL] December 01, 2007 11:23AM

Categories: Sports
ATLANTA - LSU football coach Les Miles is staying with the Tigers and not going to his alma mater, Michigan, LSU officials confirmed this afternoon.
The school has scheduled a press conference for 1:50 EST time today, hours before LSU kicks off in the Southeastern Conference championship game, to announce the new deal, according to people involved in the matter, and Miles has reportedly informed the team of his decision.
The sudden press conference and the news came after ESPN reported this morning that Miles would take the open coaching job at Michigan, his alma mater. Speculation has been rampant about Miles future for weeks, but he has never tipped his hand on whether he was leaning toward Baton Rouge or Ann Arbor.
Miles could not be reached for comment and the exact reasons for his apparent decision remained unclear. LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman has consistently said he believed Miles would remain at LSU.
When asked about reports that Miles has elected to stay at LSU, Herb Vincent, the school's senior associate athletic director, said "I believe those to be true." Vincent said the school would address the matter fully at the afternoon press conference.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: Les Miles staying in Baton Rouge

LOTS OF TALK AROUND AN AVERAGE COACH....

His clock management at the end of last week was comical, not once but twice calling a TO with a good minute + left which could have only come back to hurt him :rolleyes:

No excuse for making that mistake once let alone twice.:+clueless

MCP

goung to UM, im happy..they found someone equally as bad as Carr

The Devil

EOG Master

JUST MADE A GOOD POINT ON THE ARMY-NAVY GAME....

WHY WOULD THEY HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE HOURS BEFORE THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IF IT WAS BAD NEWS????

MCP

that is a good point... they are in the south... south is ass backwards:doh1

d ray

EOG Dedicated

michigan fans should be thrilled he's staying at LSU.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

NCAA should have a rule similar to NFL where no signings can be announced before all regular season games are completed. Gives them plenty of time between end of regular season and Bowl Season.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">well, a moot point now :(
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Devil

EOG Master

LOOKS LIKE HE IS STAYING......AND A COACH WOULDN'T LIE......RIGHT????

That press conference was horseshit. The University put him up to it to quash the talk for now. If a book put up a line on him going i would jump all over it.

He's gone. He would have said otherwise if he wasn't.

I've seen Leslie in this spot before ;)

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

I caught a small amount of the press conference. I did not hear him say he was not going to UM, all he said is that hes the LSU coach which may be true for a few more days. I dont know if hes going or staying, but every other time I have heard a coach @@@@@foot around a press conference, he has gone on.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

I caught a small amount of the press conference. I did not hear him say he was not going to UM, all he said is that hes the LSU coach which may be true for a few more days. I dont know if hes going or staying, but every other time I have heard a coach @@@@@foot around a press conference, he has gone on.

Which part of the 20 seconds did you see?

The first 10 seconds, or the last 10 seconds?

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

Would the U of M AD be in Atlanta right now just to see the SEC championship game?

Come on people.

Journeyman

EOG Master

If your team was playing Tn in a matter of hours , would you not address the nation and say you were staying?

This feels like Nick Saban all over again.

The Devil

EOG Master

LSU extends Miles' contract through '12

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: December 6, 2007, 5:02 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU coach Les Miles has signed a contract extension that will keep him with the Tigers through 2012.
The deal was approved Thursday by the LSU board's athletic committee, apparently ending any chance of Miles leaving for Michigan to replace Lloyd Carr, who retired last month. The approval of the full board is needed, but that is considered a formality when the board meets Friday.
The contract doesn't change Miles' salary, which will already rise to at least $2.8 million annually based on LSU's Southeastern Conference championship this year.
If LSU wins the national championship, the contract provides Miles would become among the nation's top-earning college football coaches. University officials estimate that would put his annual earnings somewhere between $3.2 million and $3.5 million.
LSU (11-2) faces Ohio State (11-1) in the Allstate BCS Championship Game on Jan. 7 at the Louisiana Superdome.
Just before his team played Tennessee in the SEC title game Dec. 1, Miles effectively ended speculation he would bolt Baton Rouge for Michigan, announcing his intention to remain at LSU.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

<!-- end story body --><!-- begin sp links -->