Reflections, advice from a guy who just lost it all

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
Last night at this time, my daughter and I were out shopping for a Christmas tree and life was peachy keen in just about every aspect.

Life as I knew it changed literally overnight when I was awakened by the screatching beeps of a smoke alarm and the crackling sounds of a fire downstairs.

Within a matter of minutes, nearly every single possession I owned went up in ashes. I'm sitting here now trying to get my wits about me, while pulling together some paperwork, etc. For whatever reason, I felt compelled to take a minute, catch my breath and express some thoughts. Though I am not the most active of posters on this site, I have been a member since Day One, and a lot of guys here have become friends in one way or another. A lot of great, intelligent and interesting guys ? both friends and strangers ? have made this site my most-visited on the internet.

A few thoughts, suggestions and reflections based on what I have experienced over the past 24 hours.
  • ALWAYS!!! maintain your smoke alarms. They are DIRT CHEAP, and they can be LIFESAVERS!! NEVER! Assume that it can't happen to you, because I am living proof that it can.
  • The fire was electrical. The fire chief insists that the fire started inside the walls and worked its way out. Faulty wiring which never showed any warning signs was the probable cause. If your house is old and your wiring has never been updated, a checkup by an electrician is well worth the money spent.
  • ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HOMEONWERS INSURANCE UP-TO-DATE. If you are even slightlly unsure what type of coverage you have, take a few minutes RIGHT NOW to review your policy. What was suitable 10 years ago might be outdated now. I poured thousands of dollars of upgrades / upkeep into my house, both inside and out (Vinyl siding, etc) yet I didn't do a proper job of doing the same to my policy. When all is said and done, I will never come even remotely close to replacing what I had. Much of what was once viewed as a necessity, or was taken for granted, I will now do without.
  • Take EXTRA-SPECIAL care of sentimental personal possessions. Right now, I'm not concerned about the televisions, furniture, unwrapped Christmas presents (though losing those sucked bigtime), etc. However, the wife and I are completely devastated by the loss of baby pictures, family Christmas ornaments, old school papers, etc. No way to ever replace those items, which meant the world to the both of us.
  • Tell your family how much you love them each and every day. For a few terrifying seconds, I will never be able to express what I was feeling during the moments I didn't receive a response when I screamed for my daughter ? the complete love of my life. Those few seconds, and the feeling I had afterwards when I knew she was safe, makes it much easier to accept the fact I have lost thousands and thousands of dollars worth of materialistic items.
Sorry for what is undoubtedly the longest and most personal post I've ever made on this or any other forum. Again, just felt the need to express some thoughts. And if this post even slightly changes the life of one reader ever so slightly, then it was time well-spent.

Funny ? yesterday at this time, I had the whole day (today) planned out. Was looking forward to coming home from work, reloading with my book, heading out a friend's house where we gather for games, and rooting on the Bears. From a gambling perspective, I was in heaven, as the college bowl season has always been my favorite time of the year. Though I've been at this my entire adult life, I have never even come remotely close to gambling beyond my means ? yet I did get a tad carried away (all in good fun) during bowl season. As my wife would say, it made up for the fact I don't smoke, rarely drink, and life the simplest of lives.

Today? Just trying to pick up the pieces, start over and move forward.
Never ever take life, and those in your life for granted. Though my life was changed forever, I can still very much thank God today for what I have.

Buckeye!

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: Reflections, advice from a guy who just lost it all

GOOD LUCK BUCKEYE, HOPE YOU WERE COVERED FOR ALL THE POSSESSIONS THAT CAN BE REPLACED.........AND GLAD TO HEAR EVERYONE IS FINE........

I am sorry for your situation:

Glad your family is ok.

Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you have put everything into perspective. my family and I will be praying for you!

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Buckeye,
(Please don't think that I am doubting you at all, it's just that some people have lied about things in the past and thus I want to clarify my remarks)
If what you say is true, then you are a most remarkable and extraordinary man. I can not imagine what you are going through and yet you take the time to post in the hopes of helping others. You and your family will be high on my prayer list throughout this holiday season.

sorry to hear this glad nobody was hurt life is crazy

The Devil

EOG Master

BUCKEYE HAS BEEN POSTING (AT LEAST AS FAR AS I KNOW) WAY BACK TO 2000 WHEN WE OPENED MW..........ALWAYS BEEN ONE OF THE MORE ARTICULATE POSTERS.......AND DEFINETELY NOT AN ATTENTION SEEKER.....

Last night at this time, my daughter and I were out shopping for a Christmas tree and life was peachy keen in just about every aspect.

Life as I knew it changed literally overnight when I was awakened by the screatching beeps of a smoke alarm and the crackling sounds of a fire downstairs.

Within a matter of minutes, nearly every single possession I owned went up in ashes. I'm sitting here now trying to get my wits about me, while pulling together some paperwork, etc. For whatever reason, I felt compelled to take a minute, catch my breath and express some thoughts. Though I am not the most active of posters on this site, I have been a member since Day One, and a lot of guys here have become friends in one way or another. A lot of great, intelligent and interesting guys ? both friends and strangers ? have made this site my most-visited on the internet.

A few thoughts, suggestions and reflections based on what I have experienced over the past 24 hours.
  • ALWAYS!!! maintain your smoke alarms. They are DIRT CHEAP, and they can be LIFESAVERS!! NEVER! Assume that it can't happen to you, because I am living proof that it can.
  • The fire was electrical. The fire chief insists that the fire started inside the walls and worked its way out. Faulty wiring which never showed any warning signs was the probable cause. If your house is old and your wiring has never been updated, a checkup by an electrician is well worth the money spent.
  • ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HOMEONWERS INSURANCE UP-TO-DATE. If you are even slightlly unsure what type of coverage you have, take a few minutes RIGHT NOW to review your policy. What was suitable 10 years ago might be outdated now. I poured thousands of dollars of upgrades / upkeep into my house, both inside and out (Vinyl siding, etc) yet I didn't do a proper job of doing the same to my policy. When all is said and done, I will never come even remotely close to replacing what I had. Much of what was once viewed as a necessity, or was taken for granted, I will now do without.
  • Take EXTRA-SPECIAL care of sentimental personal possessions. Right now, I'm not concerned about the televisions, furniture, unwrapped Christmas presents (though losing those sucked bigtime), etc. However, the wife and I are completely devastated by the loss of baby pictures, family Christmas ornaments, old school papers, etc. No way to ever replace those items, which meant the world to the both of us.
  • Tell your family how much you love them each and every day. For a few terrifying seconds, I will never be able to express what I was feeling during the moments I didn't receive a response when I screamed for my daughter ? the complete love of my life. Those few seconds, and the feeling I had afterwards when I knew she was safe, makes it much easier to accept the fact I have lost thousands and thousands of dollars worth of materialistic items.
Sorry for what is undoubtedly the longest and most personal post I've ever made on this or any other forum. Again, just felt the need to express some thoughts. And if this post even slightly changes the life of one reader ever so slightly, then it was time well-spent.

Funny ? yesterday at this time, I had the whole day (today) planned out. Was looking forward to coming home from work, reloading with my book, heading out a friend's house where we gather for games, and rooting on the Bears. From a gambling perspective, I was in heaven, as the college bowl season has always been my favorite time of the year. Though I've been at this my entire adult life, I have never even come remotely close to gambling beyond my means ? yet I did get a tad carried away (all in good fun) during bowl season. As my wife would say, it made up for the fact I don't smoke, rarely drink, and life the simplest of lives.

Today? Just trying to pick up the pieces, start over and move forward.
Never ever take life, and those in your life for granted. Though my life was changed forever, I can still very much thank God today for what I have.

Buckeye!

Buckeye,

As one who has seen their home and those of family & friends burn to the ground, I am sorry for your losses. The one think to remember from this is, they (the fire) can not take your memories. You and your family will make new memories and the bonds between you all will be even stronger. I wish you and your family wellness.

MAN THAT IS TERRIBLE. I HATE TO HEAR THAT BRO. AND I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOU AND YOURS ARE ALRIGHT.. KEEP YOUR HE UP BUDDY!:(

dirty

EOG Master

Hate to hear this Buckeye. Glad you and the Family are safe. Just remember as long as you have your Family and each other everything else can be replaced. Good Luck with everything

gobucks

EOG Addicted

Thanks for that Jeff....I usually really enjoy your posts. Hang in there Buckeye. All the best. Glad everyone is alright.

No way this happened.

Some anonymous poster lost everything BUT HIS COMPUTER (to tell us about it) .

And counsels us to maintain our smoke alarms, keep our homeowners insurance up-to-date, and tell our family how much we love them.

Obviously, at the first sign of tragedy, you want to find the means to tell EOG posters. I mean really, what is the average EOG poster gonna tell you, a fart joke?

I'm here for the circus.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

No way this happened.

And counsels us to maintain our smoke alarms, keep our homeowners insurance up-to-date, and tell our family how much we love them.

Obviously, at the first sign of tragedy, you want to find the means to tell EOG posters. I mean really, what is the average EOG poster gonna tell you, a fart joke?

I'm here for the circus.

Are you kidding me? Classless!!! :doh1

Are you kidding me? Classless!!! :doh1

Well, yeah.

Anybody who suffers real tragedy in their lives doesn't suddenly start writing 2000 word essays on the meaning of life to the airheads who post here.

Are you just crazy?

NoAnchovies

EOG Enthusiast

No way this happened.

I'm here for the circus.

Jeff,

Your Post STINKS!

NoAnchovies

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Well, yeah.

Anybody who suffers real tragedy in their lives doesn't suddenly start writing 2000 word essays on the meaning of life to the airheads who post here.

Are you just crazy?

Get over yourself. People grieve differently.

Well, yeah.

Are you just crazy?

Who are you to judge? Even if you are right in this case, which I doubt, have just an ounce of compassion , just in case you are 100% wrong.

Get over yourself. People grieve differently.

I don't know what to tell you. If you think people who really lost everything show up on a website the next day to entertain your feebleness, then they and you are both in this together.

So what, you think he owns a lot of Smoke Detector stock?

He's a Homeowner's Insurance Salesman?

Cmon Jeff. A simple look at his post history will tell you the type of guy he is.

Buckeye:

Sorry to hear about your losses, but it sounds like the most important stuff you still have.

rainbow

EOG Master

No way this happened.

I'm here for the circus.
ARE YOU GOD? YOU REALLY ARE A PIECE OF ...., BUCKEYE, I'VE ALWAYS ENJOYED YOUR POSTS, MAN I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY...