Miles: 'I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU'

dirty

EOG Master
ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug --> <!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: December 11, 2007, 4:35 PM ET
<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU football coach Les Miles, responding to a published report that he had talked with Michigan officials last week, said Tuesday he is not a candidate for the Wolverines' vacant head coaching position.
The Detroit Free Press had reported that Miles spoke Friday morning with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to several people with knowledge of the call.
In a statement released by LSU, Miles said that was true. But he also clarified that the conversation was not about him.
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Les Miles says he spoke with officials at Michigan -- but only to advise his alma mater on its continuing search for a coach.

"I had a conversation with Michigan last week that covered a wide range of topics. I was doing nothing more than helping them with their search for a football coach, just as any loyal alumnus might do. It was nothing more than that," Miles said."I'm not a candidate for that job and I will not be a candidate for the job. I was only assisting them in their search for a coach," he added. "I have a great job at a wonderful place, a place that my family calls home. It's time that Michigan goes on with their search for a football coach.
"I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU next season."
Miles signed a contract extension at LSU on Thursday.
Michigan, which has yet to find a successor for the retired Lloyd Carr, had previously obtained permission from LSU to contact Miles about its coaching vacancy on the condition that it was after the Dec. 1 Southeastern Conference championship game. The Tigers will play Ohio State in the Allstate BCS Championship Game on Jan. 7 in New Orleans.
Miles' contract extension at LSU reportedly still contains a $1.25 million buyout he must pay if he leaves Baton Rouge for Ann Arbor. Miles played for Bo Schembechler at Michigan and twice was part of the late Schembechler's coaching staff.
Michigan associate athletic director Bruce Madej said the university is not commenting on the coaching search, and Miles' agent, George Bass, declined comment, the Free Press reported.
Earlier, Tuesday, Bertman told ESPN's Joe Schad he can't stop other schools from calling Miles.
"He signed the contract on Thursday. So even if he did [talk to Michigan] I would think it wouldn't matter. Because Les wants to be here. He is an honorable man," Bertman told ESPN. "I don't believe he would lead anybody the wrong way."
Bertman told the Free Press that Miles' amended contract includes free tuition for his children at LSU, academic incentives based on his players' achievements and a double payment of his remaining deal if he is fired.
"Les made a decision he wanted to stay. He loves Michigan, but the truth is, for Les Miles at this time, this is probably a better place," Bertman said, according to the Free Press.
ESPN collegte football reporter Joe Schad contributed to this report.

ESPN - Miles: 'I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU' - College Football

nydoc

EOG Dedicated
Re: Miles: 'I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU'

i kind of feel that the longer michigan goes with out hiring a coach, the better chance they will make miles an offer that he cant refuse after the championship game. maybe just wishful thinking.

dirty

EOG Master

Something is wrong up there... Why are they having this trouble...are they trying to make the New coach keep on a lot of the coaches they gave 2 year contracts to last year so they don't have to buy them out?

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Something is wrong up there... Why are they having this trouble...are they trying to make the New coach keep on a lot of the coaches they gave 2 year contracts to last year so they don't have to buy them out?

Their talent level is low...even though it is Michigan by name, the program has slipped. i don't think it is a place you are going to win big at right away. maybe that combined with keeping previous assistants or even the pay they are offering. who knows for sure but big name coaches are avoiding that place like the plague filled cesspool it is.:smokesmal

Lou Sabin said the same thing last year when asked about the Alabama job I expect Miles to end up at Michigan

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

Lou Sabin said the same thing last year when asked about the Alabama job I expect Miles to end up at Michigan<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I have been thinking the same thing, but doesn't Miles lose a great deal of credibility if he does so. More so than usual I would think, given the circus that this entire story has become.

Les Miles has not flat out said, "I will absolutely be the coach at LSU next season".

Until he does, nothing will convince me otherwise.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Add in that the ol Mich coach Carr assured his friend assistants have to stay on staff at Mich when resigning.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

I hope Michigan gets him!!

As a Wisconsin fan it will sure help us, and the other teams in the big 10, getting such an over rated coach who is no better then Carr (who sucked):houra

I think it's been a done deal for 3 weeks now.

Everyone assumed it was all but a lock during the season that if Carr left, Miles would replace him.

Media leaks that he's going.

Then the LSU ATHLETIC DIRECTOR schedules a press conference -- something I thought was rather odd.

Miles then makes a number of really "roundabout" statements about him staying at LSU -- almost avoiding saying anything specific ("that's all I'm gonna say"). Finally someone asks him to give a flat out answer about next year, and he responds that he'll be at LSU.

But 3 weeks later, there's been absolutely NO talk about who Michigan is looking at as a replacement -- all the while teams are snagging up all the legitimate coaching candidates.

I think there's a MUCH better chance that Les Miles has acknowledged that he is leaving for Michigan, he let Michigan and the LSU Athletic Director know, and the A.D. asked him as a favor to claim that he is staying so that these kids who are playing for SEC and National Championships don't feel abandoned.

I believe part of the agreement will be that the LSU A.D. will come out after it is all said and done and say that Miles was "lying" at his request.

There's just been ZERO talk about a Michigan replacement, and with recruits still dangling in the wind that's just not something a big time program would do.

Miles will be the Wolverines head coach, and it should be confirmed a few days after the national title game.

I think it's been a done deal for 3 weeks now.

Everyone assumed it was all but a lock during the season that if Carr left, Miles would replace him.

Media leaks that he's going.

Then the LSU ATHLETIC DIRECTOR schedules a press conference -- something I thought was rather odd.

Miles then makes a number of really "roundabout" statements about him staying at LSU -- almost avoiding saying anything specific ("that's all I'm gonna say"). Finally someone asks him to give a flat out answer about next year, and he responds that he'll be at LSU.

But 3 weeks later, there's been absolutely NO talk about who Michigan is looking at as a replacement -- all the while teams are snagging up all the legitimate coaching candidates.

I think there's a MUCH better chance that Les Miles has acknowledged that he is leaving for Michigan, he let Michigan and the LSU Athletic Director know, and the A.D. asked him as a favor to claim that he is staying so that these kids who are playing for SEC and National Championships don't feel abandoned.

I believe part of the agreement will be that the LSU A.D. will come out after it is all said and done and say that Miles was "lying" at his request.

There's just been ZERO talk about a Michigan replacement, and with recruits still dangling in the wind that's just not something a big time program would do.

Miles will be the Wolverines head coach, and it should be confirmed a few days after the national title game.

:cheers

If it was any other Bowl besides the title game he would have step down already.

Sporting News writer saying another SEC coach saying Miles will end up at Michigan

More on the Miles front
December 11, 2007
Tom Dienhart

LSU's Les Miles appeared to be in the crosshairs of the Michigan job, as it was reported that he had been in talks with the Wolverines' administration last week.

However, Miles released a statement saying he was simply helping Michigan in its search, and wasn't a candidate for the job.

Not long before the statement, another SEC head coach had told me "I would be shocked if he doesn't go."

dirty

EOG Master

If you believe Skip Bertman would stoop to something like that SoS...you obviously know nothing of this man.... He would tell Les Miles to hit the damn road and they would go with what they had. That is how he ran his Baseball Program, and that is how he has ran the Athletic Program. The man is 100% integrity

If you believe Skip Bertman would stoop to something like that SoS...you obviously know nothing of this man.... He would tell Les Miles to hit the damn road and they would go with what they had. That is how he ran his Baseball Program, and that is how he has ran the Athletic Program. The man is 100% integrity

It has nothing to do with integrity. I think Miles has been honest with him and told him that he plans to take the Michigan job, and this is them trying to keep these kids' heads in the right places.

It's a unique situation -- how often does the coach of a major conference champion and team playing for the national title LEAVE that school right after for another college gig?

While I agree honesty is usually the best policy, I think it would be doing a HUGE disservice to these kids if right before the SEC Championship game and National Title game that their head coach tells them he is leaving them for another school.

What I'll continue to come back to is -- do you not find it odd that a school like Michigan still has no replacement lined up?

dirty

EOG Master

No I don't find it odd .... because whoever takes the Job has to take the assistants..... Most assistants are hired on a year to year basis except coordinators, etc because of this reason.... They don't want to have to buy them out..... Carr had the AD Guaranteed his assistants one more year.... that is why they can't get a coach......

I find it very hard to believe that the reason they can't find anyone to take the head coaching job at the University of Michigan is because they'll have to deal with assistants they may not like for one year.

This isn't Toledo University or Miami of Ohio. This is MICHIGAN. Tons of students, tons of fans, tons of money. Assistant coaches aren't the reason that you haven't heard any names surface other than Les Miles -- you haven't heard any names surface other than Les Miles because Miles has already said he's coming.

dirty

EOG Master

I find it very hard to believe that the reason they can't find anyone to take the head coaching job at the University of Michigan is because they'll have to deal with assistants they may not like for one year.

This isn't Toledo University or Miami of Ohio. This is MICHIGAN. Tons of students, tons of fans, tons of money. Assistant coaches aren't the reason that you haven't heard any names surface other than Les Miles -- you haven't heard any names surface other than Les Miles because Miles has already said he's coming.

if you were the head coach coming in with all that pressure and expectations.... would you want to bring in your own people? Or would you want to put your Future in the hands of assistants that have a different philosophy, etc than you?

I would tell the UofM to Fuck off and call me when I can Hire my own guys... If I am on the hook for winning/losing then I want my guys in there ... Not what the old coach told me I had to have.

Use your Big brain SoS.... I know you are smarter than that