I've got "Handicappers Burnout"

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated
This happens to me about this time every year. I begin looking at college info July 1st. I study every nugget of information I can get my hands on. I hit every web page I know of reading about the upcoming foots season.
I make notes, jot down thoughts, look ahead on the schedule for college and pro's. August 1st I'm starting to drill down into the NFL. I try to find teams to fade or to jump on early.
I grind the entire college schedule. I spend untold hours every week looking at box scores, listening to radio shows, reading tout information, devouring football web information. I look closely at injury reports (cluster injuries are what really perks me up to a game I should look at). I look to zig-zag. I try to get a feel for how a team is taking a game emotionally. I look at local newspapers, listen on the Internet to local sports radio shows. I share information with well known sports gamblers in the industry. I begin gambling on the following weeks foots games(college and pro) on Sunday nights. I make calculated guesses which way the line will move which drives me to bet early or late on certain games.
By the time it reaches conference "title game" week it has hit week 13 of the pro schedule. Four weeks left in the NFL. At that point we usually hit a 2 week lull before the bowl games begin.

I let down. I reflect on how my foots season has gone. Many times I just realize how burned out I am from the grind. It really hit me this week. I haven't made a wager for the upcoming slate of pro games. I have hardly even looked at the lines. I am finding excuses to watch a movie or tv show that is not sports related. I'm sleeping in later in the morning.
I've hardly been representative on our famous EOG forums the past couple of weeks.

I realized the other day I am going through my "annual burnout" period.
Munson, if you read this you may recall my email to you the other day.
It will probably last through this week. I hope I'll be able to compose myself long enough to make some solid choices for this weeks card.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to take Molly to a theatre event, "Cats", playing at a local venue. It's all about "anything but gambling" for a few days.

I may just sit down, throw some darts on the wall, and pick a few teams to wager on this Sunday.

Tim

pvcpipe

EOG Master
Re: I've got "Handicappers Burnout"

"Cut me...cut me, Lou"

"Shaddup, ya Lollipop! Get back out there!"

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

It happens to most all of us I think. Be safe and enjoy the time away.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

Maybe I need a shot of adrenalin.
Somebody, anybody, throw me a nugget.
One pointspread winner.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

Maybe I need a shot of adrenalin.
Somebody, anybody, throw me a nugget.
One pointspread winner.

well why not go with a little up tempo suns over 225 tonight....that should get the pulse up and running:+textinb3

rayray

EOG Dedicated

usually happens to me either after a disgustingly bad beat or just a shitty night all together

Late October, 2006. After an up and down weekend, I calculated that that was exactly how the season had gone to date: up and down. And this after my best season ever in 2005. How disappointing.

I finally came to the conclusion that there was just too much stress associated with most sports betting (excepting MLB) for the level of (reasonably expected) profit involved. Thus it was that I quit cold turkey.

That's right, after over 40 years of betting all the sports, I'm now down to just one: MLB

I still read a number of the posts (and reply to a few) on EOG. I still check the lines (occasionally). I still watch a number of games (though not as many).

Come on, April!

munson15

I want winners...

We have a game Thursday and again Saturday to bet.
I need to break out of this quickly.
We all get to this point, Tim. It happens at different times of the year. For me, it's usually early October, when I've been going at baseball pretty good for 6 months, and the newness of the football season has worn off. I realize that I've been working every day at this, trying to run a business, take care of my family, and keep my sanity.

The show with Molly was the best therapy you could have done. You'll feel better next week. There aren't many good games this week anyway, and the bowls haven't started. The Thursday game features 2 losing teams, don't even watch it. Give yourself a little mental vacation until Sunday, don't bet a lot, and then, you'll rally just in time for the college bowl season and Christmas.

Another thing that I guarantee will make you feel better and recharge the batteries, is to go out and get Molly something nice from Santa. Merry Christmas from your buddy Munson!:cheers

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

This happens to me about this time every year. I begin looking at college info July 1st. I study every nugget of information I can get my hands on. I hit every web page I know of reading about the upcoming foots season.
I make notes, jot down thoughts, look ahead on the schedule for college and pro's. August 1st I'm starting to drill down into the NFL. I try to find teams to fade or to jump on early.
I grind the entire college schedule. I spend untold hours every week looking at box scores, listening to radio shows, reading tout information, devouring football web information. I look closely at injury reports (cluster injuries are what really perks me up to a game I should look at). I look to zig-zag. I try to get a feel for how a team is taking a game emotionally. I look at local newspapers, listen on the Internet to local sports radio shows. I share information with well known sports gamblers in the industry. I begin gambling on the following weeks foots games(college and pro) on Sunday nights. I make calculated guesses which way the line will move which drives me to bet early or late on certain games.
By the time it reaches conference "title game" week it has hit week 13 of the pro schedule. Four weeks left in the NFL. At that point we usually hit a 2 week lull before the bowl games begin.

I let down. I reflect on how my foots season has gone. Many times I just realize how burned out I am from the grind. It really hit me this week. I haven't made a wager for the upcoming slate of pro games. I have hardly even looked at the lines. I am finding excuses to watch a movie or tv show that is not sports related. I'm sleeping in later in the morning.
I've hardly been representative on our famous EOG forums the past couple of weeks.

I realized the other day I am going through my "annual burnout" period.
Munson, if you read this you may recall my email to you the other day.
It will probably last through this week. I hope I'll be able to compose myself long enough to make some solid choices for this weeks card.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to take Molly to a theatre event, "Cats", playing at a local venue. It's all about "anything but gambling" for a few days.

I may just sit down, throw some darts on the wall, and pick a few teams to wager on this Sunday.

Tim
I call it mentally spent. You are not alone bro.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

I'm working through this.
I chatted with Munson on the phone for 30 minutes today.
He's talking me though this crisis.

I think I feel a slight push of energy knowing there is an NFL game to bet tonight.

HHMM.. Side or total.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Take Houston based on home field and a contrarian view from the consensus.

GL

Dante

EOG Veteran

We have a game Thursday and again Saturday to bet.
I need to break out of this quickly.

seems like a no-brainer ,why not take a break for a month and come back refreshed , will that kill you or give you the shakes?