High schools with extremely odd nicknames / mascots???

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
Anyone here graduate from a high school which had a very unique nickname and/or mascot??? If so, any interesting stories to share regarding the nickname?

In NE Ohio, the Tarblooders (Cleveland Glenville) is one of my favorites. The nickname refers to the railroad workers of days gone by. The workers used tar when laying down the tracks. They would often wipe their faces with their tar-covered hands, then when they sweat it appeared as if they were bleeding tar.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: High schools with extremely odd nicknames / mascots???

Stanford Cardinal with that TREE is an odd one?

Georgetown HOYAS, look that one up..the old chant 'What's ah Hoya' ? clap clap, clapclapclap...and their mascot is a bulldog.

I'm not sure that Georgetown would qualify as a high school, but never mind.

But you want grief? Go through life as a Gamecock.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

I do believe that The Columbus East Olympians is the only HS or any school to have the Olympians name associated with.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

I believe in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan there is a high school with the nickname NIMRODS. I remember hearing about this at one point in time.

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

I do believe that The Columbus East Olympians is the only HS or any school to have the Olympians name associated with.

There are actually a number of "Olympians" out there, including Jim Thorpe High School in PA.

The Columbus East school you are referring to is in Indiana, correct?

Indiana has some of the more bizarre names out there.....The Jug Rox, Pretzels, Hot Dogs, Sparkplugs, etc...

Cordy

EOG Enthusiast

I believe in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan there is a high school with the nickname NIMRODS. I remember hearing about this at one point in time.
You are correct. It is near the Wisconsin city of Hurley, home of "The Midgets"

dirty

EOG Master

http://forums.eog.com/online-sports...high-school-college-wierdest-crazy-58995.html

<table id="post507694" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94) -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;">11-23-06, 11:43 AM </td> <td class="thead" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #1 (permalink) <input name="plist[507694]" id="plist_507694" style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle;" value="0" type="checkbox"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175"> <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->dirty<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_507694", true); </script>

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_507694" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(43, 41, 94);"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mascots -- HIgh School and College -- Wierdest/Crazy ones<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<hr style="color: rgb(43, 41, 94);" size="1"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Last night the Mizzou/KC Kangaroos or whoever they were played Pacific got me to thinking about wierd HS and college Mascots.... especially some local ones not many have heard of.... some of these things are original....

The Local City school here is the Gainesville High School Red Elephants.... The only school in the nation with Elephant in the Name.... Alabama has the Elephant Logo but it is not the official school name.... GHS has been named this since the early 1900s and rumor has it that Bear Bryant was friends with Old GHS coaching Legend (we have a Rich HS tradition and always a AAA powerhouse) Bobby Gruhn and would come up here recruiting and he liked the Mascot and adopted it as Alabama's logo... don't know how truthfull it is .... but the old folks and school seem pretty adamant about it as there are pics all over the place with Coach Gruhn and the Bear.... GHS has a Huge Tradition excelling in all sports with Jody Davis' (old Cubs Catcher from here) Brother being one of the Best HS BAskets coaches in the Nation (won coach of year 2 times nationally) and several State Bases titles with Numerous players from each sport playing professionally

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hal01

EOG Veteran

How about The Texas City Stingarees?

I knew that. You also missed the reunion last year.

Can't ever appreciate Texas City enough.. Where I grew up, fell in love, got married, amd discovered oil refineries.. Can't trade those times for anything..

I have to admit, Texas City High School to the Sorbonne was quite a leap. I try to still make the Sorbonne reunions.

All my Texas City buds are all long dead or long lost. But my "Fightin' Stingarees" spirit endures..

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

Thanks, Dirty......
BTW, love the "Red Elephant" nickname. What is even more classic is the name adopted by the Gainesville High girls' teams -- the Pink Pachyderms

dirty

EOG Master

Thanks, Dirty......
BTW, love the "Red Elephant" nickname. What is even more classic is the name adopted by the Gainesville High girls' teams -- the Pink Pachyderms

:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3 Yea...

dirty

EOG Master

Thanks, Dirty......

some interesting Facts about our Athletics....This article didn't mention Billy Lothridge who played in the 50's

Athletics

Gainesville High School competes under the name "The Red Elephants." They received that name in the 1920s when the the announcer announced the football team was coming on the field looking like herd of "red elephants", well before the more publicly known unofficial nickname of The University of Alabama Red Tide. Gainesville is one of less than 100 high schools in the country to win over 700 football games in their schools history. Holds the record for the most State championships in the southeastern high school asscociation.
Some noted athletes from Gainesville High School include: Stephanie Yarem, Division I NCAA Women's Soccer First Team All-American Member in 1997, SEC All Conference Honors in 1997,1998, and 1999, with several records held at the University of Georgia and is represented in the Northeast Georgia Hall of Fame; Kendrick Lewis, wide receiver at Ole Miss; Tasha Humphrey, the all-conference forward for the women's basketball team at University of Georgia; Andrew Thacker and John Castleberry, both football players at Furman University; brothers Micah Owings and Jon Mark Owings, who are currently both pursuing careers in professional baseball;Damon Evans, the athletic director for the University of Georgia; Cris Carpenter, a three sport star in High School and former MLB Pitcher; and most recently Nick Claytor, a 312 pound offensive lineman and Georgia Tech recruit. TNA wrestler A.J. Styles wrestled at Gainesville his birth name is Allen Jones.
Athletics offered are baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, wrestling, and volleyball.

I was a Tornado, not to many Tornado nicknames around

Rxx

EOG Veteran

Funny, i was going to mention one of my favorites, the
Medford (OR) Tornado.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

The mascot for my High School was a Wyvern, which is a mythical dragon. Havent seen anyone else with that nickname yet.

http://forums.eog.com/online-sports...high-school-college-wierdest-crazy-58995.html

<TABLE class=tborder id=post507694 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(43,41,94) 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid">11-23-06, 11:43 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(43,41,94) 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: rgb(43,41,94) 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(43,41,94) 1px solid" align=right> #1 (permalink) <INPUT id=plist_507694 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; PADDING-TOP: 0px" type=checkbox value=0 name=plist[507694]> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->dirty<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_507694", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_507694 style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(43,41,94) 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mascots -- HIgh School and College -- Wierdest/Crazy ones<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: rgb(43,41,94)" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Last night the Mizzou/KC Kangaroos or whoever they were played Pacific got me to thinking about wierd HS and college Mascots.... especially some local ones not many have heard of.... some of these things are original....

The Local City school here is the Gainesville High School Red Elephants.... The only school in the nation with Elephant in the Name.... Alabama has the Elephant Logo but it is not the official school name.... GHS has been named this since the early 1900s and rumor has it that Bear Bryant was friends with Old GHS coaching Legend (we have a Rich HS tradition and always a AAA powerhouse) Bobby Gruhn and would come up here recruiting and he liked the Mascot and adopted it as Alabama's logo... don't know how truthfull it is .... but the old folks and school seem pretty adamant about it as there are pics all over the place with Coach Gruhn and the Bear.... GHS has a Huge Tradition excelling in all sports with Jody Davis' (old Cubs Catcher from here) Brother being one of the Best HS BAskets coaches in the Nation (won coach of year 2 times nationally) and several State Bases titles with Numerous players from each sport playing professionally

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Isn't that where your sister teaches at Dirty? Seems to me you mentioned that a couple of days ago w/ that article.

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

From Idaho.....The Orofino Maniacs
The story behind the nickname is classic -- the school is located across the street from a state mental hospital. check out the mascot, a crazed-looking guy who is wearing what appears to be a hospital robe.

dirty

EOG Master

Isn't that where your sister teaches at Dirty? Seems to me you mentioned that a couple of days ago w/ that article.

She teaches at Gainesville Elementary....Now Gainesville Arts Academy or some shit like that.... but I have many friends that teach and coach there.

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

The political correctness police must have a field day with these two ---

Aniak, Alaska -- home of the Halfbreeds.

Ozark, Arkansas -- where the locals cheer on the battling Hillbillies!

Cordy

EOG Enthusiast

Can't ever appreciate Texas City enough..

I hope you did not lose a friend but didn't that place blow up in the 40's? The ship was an ANFO airburst. To make an Amonium Nitrate Fuel Oil bomb, mix one large ship of fertilizer with enough of most any diesel or heating oil and give it a good shock.

Again, sorry if this brings up bad memories. It was six decades ago.