What QB had the strongest arm you ever saw?

Journeyman

EOG Master
Does anyone clearly standout above all as the strongest QB arm of alltime?

I would like to know who could throw the farthest ball and who threw the fastest (MPH) something we don't see mentioned, which QB had the best fastball.

Does the best fastball automatically equate to the deepest ball? I don't think so but I'm not sure.

Could Bert Jones throw as hard as John Elway, what about Brett Favre? Michael Vick's ball seemed to be shot from a cannon, always a frozen rope, perfect spiral, Terry Bradshaw threw an effortless deepball, his shorter passes didn't seem to have the same steam on them, Randall Cunningham was another long range bomber who could really air it out down field, and what about this years number 1 Jamarcus Russell, what was the story he could throw from his knees some ridiculous distance? Steve Bartkowski , Jeff George,Roman Gabriel is on film tossing one 78 yards, Doug Williams was another really strong yet not so accurate arm...The ball Doug Flutie threw to beat Miami was pretty impressive, I believe that went about 65 but he didn't really get his body completely into it either and he has a much smaller frame, less wingspan.

I would select John Elway if I had to pick just one.

ballwonder

EOG Master
Re: What QB had the strongest arm you ever saw?

Watching Randall Cunninham I would have to agree, he truly could kill you with his legs or the effortless deep ball. I like to watch him alot because when he would begin to scramble you did not know if he was running or going to air it out.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Randall is somewhat forgotten but no doubt he could let it fly and was so elusive, not like Michael Vick type elusive , more of a rubber band man , I will never forget that TD on MNF vs the Giants.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Doug Williams and Bert Jones were the 1st 2 that came to my mind.....
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

sl55

EOG Veteran

The snake stabler to bilitnikoff.Stabler had no problem launching it 50/60 yards right on the money.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Randall is somewhat forgotten but no doubt he could let it fly and was so elusive, not like Michael Vick type elusive , more of a rubber band man , I will never forget that TD on MNF vs the Giants.

That was a classic moment. My grandmother was a huge Cunningham fan, I remember Sunday dinners at my grandparents and she religously would have the tv on and would be rooting for Scrambling Randall but you are right the bomb against the giants was probably the classic Randall moment in Philly. What was it 99 yards?

Journeyman

EOG Master

That was a classic moment. My grandmother was a huge Cunningham fan, I remember Sunday dinners at my grandparents and she religously would have the tv on and would be rooting for Scrambling Randall but you are right the bomb against the giants was probably the classic Randall moment in Philly. What was it 99 yards?

That was another play!

I was talking about the 1988 MNF game against the Giants. Linebacker Carl Banks torpedoed in at the midriff for a seemingly sure tackle..... Cunningham managed to twist his body in midair, put a hand down for balance while parallel to the ground, regain his footing, and pass to tight end Jimmy Giles for a touchdown...it was an amazing rubberband man moment !

The announcers were going crazy. I'm sure its on YouTube soemwhere.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Cunningham had a cannon, I loved watching him play. I have a old school Philly Cunningham jersey its pimp! He was also a good punter, hell of an athlete

munson15

I want winners...

The snake stabler to bilitnikoff.Stabler had no problem launching it 50/60 yards right on the money.
I'm a HUGE Ken Stabler fan, but I think he would better qualify as the most ACCURATE passer ever. He had great completion percentage back when the passing game was infinitely more difficult due to the rules of the time. Snake could thread the needle with short to medium length passes like no one I've ever seen. I used to think he looked like he was throwing darts that usually hit the bullseye.

He connected on many long balls with Fred Biletnikoff and Cliff Branch, but arm strength was not his calling card. Clutch drives, passes on the money, and his ability to make things happen with very little time left were his forte.:cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah, I never thought of Snake Stabler as a long range bomber, very accurate for the time period, he had a lot of weapons too, spread it around, Branch was the deep guy, Bilet, the sideline guy, Casper all over the place, threw to his backs, he spread it around.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Bobby douglas of the bears had a cannon, not very accurate though.

wiskers

EOG Dedicated

favre may not be able to throw the farthest, but he can throw a 20 yard pass hotter than anyone i ever seen

Heim

EOG Master

Scouts still say to this day Jeff George had the strongest arm in
the combines.....based on what I've seen I might agree.

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i remember dandy don merideth for the cowboys had a strong arm.

not sure about who could throw it the farthest in the pocket, but Elway could sure heave it while escaping the pocket

Journeyman

EOG Master

MARINO OR ELWAY.

When I think of MArino , I think of him throwing a dart in between the corner and the safety about 25-30 yards downfield.

That was his passing specialty IMO, very accurate and very strong arm.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Cunningham had a cannon, I loved watching him play. I have a old school Philly Cunningham jersey its pimp! He was also a good punter, hell of an athlete

I would take Randal any day of the week over Mcnab. You didn't have to baby Randall either. Strongest arm to me is Favre close second Chad Pennington

I'd also go with Bert Jones. Problem is, he never learned to use touch. He used to bounce balls off the chests of his tight ends.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Not sure how true this is but there was a report one time that Harold Carmichael bet someone he could throw it 100 yards and threw it 96. Pennington was a joke but i wonder if anyone remembers the story about Carmichael.

wideopen21

EOG Addicted

Browning Nagle had a rocket. Used to throw the the fastest screen passes.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

rex grossman, no contest. oh wait, what was the question?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Dough Williams or Elway.......

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Favre hands down. Glanville used to bet the opposing coach before every game that Brett could throw it to the 3rd level. Never lost a bet. Called Brett country. Look what he lost.