If you could go back to 1920, could you have played MLB or pro football, basketball?

Journeyman

EOG Master
Ever think about this, or watch old time films of the greats of that tiem and wonder?

I have no doubt I could have. :D

Timetopay

EOG Master
Re: If you could go back to 1920, could you have played MLB or pro football, basketball?

I could have been a hall of fame poster in the 20s

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: If you could go back to 1920, could you have played MLB or pro football, basketball?

Fantastic query Jman that i have always thought about.

I think it was obviously MUCH, MUCH easier to play professional sports way back then.....

They did not have the same technolgy and equipment they have these days and back then liquor was the drug of choice not steroids.

So pretty hard to say if you could have or not.

dirty

EOG Master

It would be impossible to play Pro Basketball in 1920...since the First Pro Hoops League, the NBA, was founded in 1946.... Sure there were smaller Pro Leagues in towns all over America, but that didn't mean much as the organization of them was Non existent... Back then all you had to do to be a Pro is get 10 Schmoes and pay them no matter if they could play or not.....Except for a couple of Barnstorming teams like the Globetrotters

National Basketball Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NBA.com: Season by Season index

Teams abounded throughout the 1920s. There were hundreds of men's professional basketball teams in towns and cities all over the United States and little organization of the professional game. Players jumped from team to team and teams played in armories and smoky dance halls. Leagues came and went. And barnstorming squads such as the Original Celtics and two all African American teams, the New York Renaissance Five ("Rens") and (still in existence as of 2006) the Harlem Globetrotters played up to two hundred games a year on their national tours.

Basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Journeyman

EOG Master

As for basketball say the 40-s or 50-s. They were not that good.

Basketball would have been the easiest to go back in time machine and be an instant HOF player.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Jman,

You might have a look at the equipment the used playing fb during the 20's. No facemasks, first of all. How do you feel about playing with a broken nose all season?

Journeyman

EOG Master

lol good point, this was more of a fun topic than serious, just funny looking back, especially at those basketball players with their 'unique' skills and style (or lack of)

shooterman

EOG Veteran

Forget the time machine. Can you imagine how frustrated top level black dudes living at the time, must have felt, watching some lame ass cripple white boy trying to return a kick off or dunk a ball? On a more serious note, before you nominate yourself for professional baseball status via time machine, try joining an 1860 rules or 1880 rules baseball league, and get out there on the field with no glove. The old ball was not as hard as present day baseballs, but let me tell you something...do not volunteer to play 1st base. It is going to get painful quick! Catchers in the old days were just a completely different breed of toughness and I believe the old timers would adopt to the new game much quicker than the present day players would to the old game. The present day gloves are very forgiving. Tender hands are not.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

NBA no way I was pretty good but 6 ft small forward wouldnt cut it. As for MLB and NFL I think I definitely could have. I played both baseball and football at a pretty high level and had offers to play both in college. Had some D1 schools looking at me for baseball and a lot of D2 for both baseball and football. That would have been a lot of fun. I am sure I will get a lot of bashing but im not trying to like brag at all or anything just telling it how I see it, I think if I would have gave 100% and put my life into baseball I could have at the very least AAA player or journeyman type player up in the big leagues. But I didnt do that so its all if this and if that.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

was good enough to play in 90, so I assume would have been then.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

but then again maybe not with moonshine in the system

Basketball for me. My favorite sport.