Were You Scared To Deposit Offshore When First Introduced To It?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
I will admit that I waited about 6 months before I finally gave in deposited after signing up at my first ever sports book.

Were you hesitant as well or did you dive right in? :)

Re: Were You Scared To Deposit Offshore When First Introduced To It?

Nope, I am much more scared to deposit money offshore today than when I was first introduced to it.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

no but i will admit after visitng my local grocery store often it always felt odd that the ladies always called me by my first name

i miss neteller :(

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

no i went in head first.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

I'm a gambler...Nope. No problem going for it.
Easy, very easy. Now that I have to hit a local Safeway it's a pain.
I did that in July/August.

Now I'm going to pull out most all of everything.
I'll keep some for baskets....But, I'm not a hoops guy so I don't put in the time needed to feel I have an edge.

no wasnt scared at all

signed up at Rosies Chalk Island then BOS a week later

Last week, I opened an account at Bodog.

From the EOG posters, you would have thought this required a modicum of secrecy reserved for Chicago speakeasys. (Lost half my audience on that reference).

Funded the account in less than a minute off my bank debit card.

I am awaiting serving my time in the Clark County jail.

No because losing the money I deposited was no big deal. Now if I lost all the money I currently have online it would be a big deal to me.

I guess I should have been scared. My first one was ESB in 1989.

Last week, I opened an account at Bodog.

From the EOG posters, you would have thought this required a modicum of secrecy reserved for Chicago speakeasys. (Lost half my audience on that reference).

Funded the account in less than a minute off my bank debit card.

I am awaiting serving my time in the Clark County jail.

you are a riot! :+textinb3

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

Very!
I opened my first account with Betmaker in 1997 after hearing what was basically an ad on a local radio show. Two guys from Betmaker who sounded more like local bookies were explaining the workings of the budding offshore wagering industry. I was extremely interested, but at the same time telling myself that I must be a total moron to be sending money to Fidel Guadalupi Rodriguez in Costa Rica in hopes of getting money back once I win a few bets.

Well, during this same period, the local and federal law enforcement agencies were cracking down BIGTIME on the local bookies. (There was a time where there were "bookie joints" all throughout the Mahoning Valley. You could literally walk up to a stranger and ask where you could place a bet, and they'd point to a building) Anyway, about two months prior to hearing the Betmaker guys, I was caught in a gambling raid (walking out on a Sunday morning with my slip in hand, I was the first guy the cops greeted at the door....not fun. However, to the bookie's credit, he paid up the next day as soon as he was released from jail).

Anyway, I knew it was going to get tougher and tougher to place bets with locals, so I decided to give the offshore route a try. Remember sending my first Western Union in April of 1997, just after baseball season began. There had just been some sort of natural disaster or something to that effect in CR, and the lady at the grocery store thought I was sending relief funds.

Sent a few times before I finally was able to collect. Each time I sent, I felt like the biggest sucker in the world, because I had NO CLUE if this was at all legitimate, and I knew NO ONE who was also playing offshore at the time. After about a month or so, I had a good run and requested $800.....I waas dumbfounded when the check arrived two days later. I was even more amazed that my bank took the check without any questions. Wow, this offshore stuff is pretty cool!!!

My second book was ESB....can't believe I was suckered into paying an $89 membership fee. However, I had success with ESB and was never stiffed. My last check from them came after a Super Bowl, and it took nearly a month to get paid...that's when I (luckily) moved on.

Probably like a lot of guys out here, I didn't have the internet when I first began betting offshore. Hard to imagine offshore wagering without the internet today.

Timbo

EOG Member

Yes. I thought I'd never see that money again once I sent it to someone with a name like "Manuel Chalupa Consuelo" in Lima, Peru. Since then (Oct.), I've withdrawn more than twice the original deposit and still have play money in the account (blackjack at SBG). I asked them to remove the initial deposit bonuses, they did. They have ridiculous rollover requirements.

My first scare was doing a Western Union deposit after my credit card was being declined. Since WU did not support online gambling, the book used a person's name in Nicaragua (no reference to the book at all). I've made several deposits since and never been stiffed, but it's still creepy to be sending money to Joe Schmo in Managua and having the WU agent ask if you know this person. "Of course!"

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

no. though i wish i was!!!

Timbo

EOG Member

Kinosh,

Same here.

WU Agent: "You know Manuel personally?"

Me: "Uuuuh, Yeah."

I dove right in. Back in 2000, I had just changed jobs and was really bored so it was just the thing I needed. I got a rush out of going to Western Union every couple of weeks for reloads and sending money across the world to receiver names in different countries.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I was scared yes. It took me a couple of years.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I can remember the TV commercials saying how it was legal in the Dutch Antilles..this was fall 1995.

I remember asking my ex wife if she thought it was safe and she said just send 500 to start, and that was it, I was hooked ever since until this fall when I stopped playing.

TTS

Banned

Nope. Had a buddy who already had payouts from ESB. I figured it was safe.