List the best trades you have ever seen in baseball

Journeyman

EOG Master
Mike Cuellar and Frank Robinson are the "Favorites in retrospect". But neither one of those was a "Favorite when it happened". They proved to be among the greatest trades of all-time, but at the time they happened, who knew?

Mike Cuellar is one of the greatest pitchers 'no one remembers' , his career as a starter started very late, but once he became established he was damn good.

Cuellar showed up as a 31-yr-old journeyman starter who, despite his age, had only 42 W's and who had pitched more minor league innings than major league innings. To get him, we gave up Curt Blefary, our 25-yr-old LF'er who was coming off 1 bad season after 3 good ones, including the one that made him AL-ROY. Exactly what was there to like about that trade at the time? How many fans predicted that Blefary would soon crap out, and that Cuellar would win a Cy Young immediately and would *average* 20 wins and 275+ innings per-season over the next *7 years*? I'll tell you how many: Exactly zero.

Frank Robinson was rumored to be "an old 30", a bad clubhouse influence, and a scary black guy who carried a gun. Baltimore was not used to this. To get him, the Orioles gave up their best starting pitcher (Milt Pappas), our 1B-man (Norm Siebern who went to the Angels for OF Dick Simpson, who was immediately traded for Frank), our CF (Jackie Brandt who was sent to the Phillies for P Jack Baldschun who was then immediately traded for Frank), and a promising 23-yr-old P who was about to start a five-year streak of being a damn good reliever (Darold Knowles, who went to the Phillies along the Brandt). To a lot of people, that looked a whole lot like giving up 4 important players for somebody who was aging trouble. People were kinda nervous reading the paper about ST that year. Frank immediately won the Triple Crown and MVP, led the way to the O's 1st WS, and taught the team to be serious about winning ballgames. Wanna guess how many fans predicted all of that when the trade happened? Probably none

These are among the best two trades by any team ever. Both of them paid huge immediate high-impact dividends, as well as lasting goodness. But they sure didn't seem steals at the time they were made. The FO knew what they were doing, or got very lucky, or both. (I think it's safe to say "both".)

5 star bomb

EOG Master
Re: List the best trades you have ever seen in baseball

Here are some Cubs trades...

Marlins send Derek Lee to Cubs for Hee Seop Choi

Cubs send George Bell to White Sox for Sammy Sosa

Cubs Send Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback, and Bobby Hill to Pirates for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Cubs getting Rick Sutcliffe was also a huge aquisition in 1984.

He went on to win Cy Young that year finishing 16-1, they did give up Joe Carter however.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater. The Red Sox got a journeyman player for a closer that turned into a stud closer. And to the Yankees. This one HURT for a long time.

Red Sox traded for Larry Anderson a marginal middle reliever for JEFF BAGWELL. Nuff said.

munson15

I want winners...

The Yanks' trade of Bobby Bonds to the Angels during the 1975 offseason for Mickey Rivers and Ed Figueroa was one of the keys to their winning 3 AL pennants consecutively, including 2 WS titles from 1976-78. They had given up fan favorite and Mickey Mantle 'successor' Bobby Murcer for Bonds just a year earlier, so this was met with a fair amount of skepticism.

dirty

EOG Master

Braves Trade Doyle Alexander to Detroit or John Smoltz....

Braves Trade Melvin Nieves, Vince Moore, Donnie Elliot to Pads for Fred McGriff

Journeyman

EOG Master

Funny thing about that Alexander trade at the time it was a great short term aquisition, Alexander was lights out for Detroit and they barely edged out Toronto.

Now looking back it was a terrible move, but in 1987 they had to be pleased....occasionally you will find a gem in those late summer , unload a veteran for prospects, type trades.

Good one Dirty.

roach23

Banned

Phillies give Ryne Sandberg and Larry Bowa to the Cubs for some scrub.

roach23

Banned

Phillies sent Curt Schilling to the Dbacks for Vincente Padillia, Travis Lee and Omar Daal

roach23

Banned

The only good Phillies trade i can think of is when they sent Juan Samuel to the Mets for Lenny Dykstra and Roger McDowell

wiskers

EOG Dedicated

cubs trading ivan dejesus for larry bowa and some no-name guy ryne sandberg

Topflight

EOG Addicted

Toronto shipping McGriff and Fernandez to San Diego for Alomar and Carter. It helped propel the team to 2 World Series titles.

dirty

EOG Master

Funny thing about that Alexander trade at the time it was a great short term aquisition, Alexander was lights out for Detroit and they barely edged out Toronto.

Now looking back it was a terrible move, but in 1987 they had to be pleased....occasionally you will find a gem in those late summer , unload a veteran for prospects, type trades.

Good one Dirty.

You are correct... I believe it started the beginning of the end of a Long run of successful teams in Detroit as well... They learned the Hards way (Like Many teams) you can't trade away all your Prospects and stay good .. It even catches up with teams like the Yankees...

Cox and Schuerholz have made so many good trades since the late 80's I can't remember them all...rarely did Atlanta let someone go that panned out elsewhere.... Vinny Castilla is the Only one to come to Mind right off the top of my head.

TTS

Banned

The Lou Brock trade is one of the worst ever.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The 3 best general managers Hank Peters, John Shuerholz and Pat Gillick all were great wheeler dealers....honorable mention Billy Beane

my favorite....

RED SOX get DEREK LOWE and JASON VARITEK for Heathcliff Sloccum....:houra

The 3 best general managers Hank Peters, John Shuerholz and Pat Gillick all were great wheeler dealers....honorable mention Billy Beane

Theo ain't too shabby with 2 World Series in 6 years,, but too young to be a legend in the group above!!

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

The Giants trade Orlando Cepeda to the Cardinals to get Ray Sadecki. Great trade for the Cards. Very poor for the Giants.

roach23

Banned

What good moves has Beane made? Dude had a few good seasons with his small market team and had Moneyball written about him and is now supposedly considered one of the greatest GMs of all time. He's overrated if you ask me.

TTS

Banned

What did the BoSox get in exchange for Ruth?

Journeyman

EOG Master

What good moves has Beane made? Dude had a few good seasons with his small market team and had Moneyball written about him and is now supposedly considered one of the greatest GMs of all time. He's overrated if you ask me.

Try working with Bean'e limited funds and see how easy it is...the Florida management has also been excellent under ridiculous circumstances...Florida with two World Series titles since 1997...its just mind boggling to think this organization has won it twice and then forced to dump their team.

roach23

Banned

Try working with Bean'e limited funds and see how easy it is...the Florida management has also been excellent under ridiculous circumstances...Florida with two World Series titles since 1997...its just mind boggling to think this organization has won it twice and then forced to dump their team.

I was gonna say the Florida GM has been much more successful with 2 world titles...but nobody even knows the guy's name because Moneyball wasn't written about him. Hence the reason that Beane is overrated as a GM.

Don't know how you can say he's one of the greatest GMs of all time and he hasn't even won a title.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I didn't mean of all time Roach...just threw his name out there as a GM that has done well under difficult circumstances.

Of course he would not be in the class of those I mentioned....Theo is well on his way.

Journeyman

EOG Master

AGREED 100%, ALSO WHEN HOUSTON TRADED JOE MORGAN TO THE RED MACHINE.

Lee May was no bum, but yeah Morgam went off once he got to Cincy....

Morgan 2time NL MVP wasn't all that when he played for the Colt 45s, many average years in Houston.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Reds also got Jack Billingham and Cesar Geronimo in that trade with Houston.

Lee May was all Houston got out of it....very lopsided....even trading May for Geronimo and Billingham would have been iffy (after the fact)

dirty

EOG Master

Thing about the Brock Trade... is no one knew he was going to bloom into what he did... he was a good player before the trade but No where near the Caliber he was after

Journeyman

EOG Master

Same with Joe Morgan.... when the Reds got Morgan, he was just a solid player, his average was below average....it wasn't like he was 22 -23 either, Morgan was a late blooming superstar.

The more I look at that trade, Reds got one of their top starter in Billingham, a two time MVP and HOFer in Morgan, and a very good Cf in Geronimo who won 4 GGs, that trade put Cincy over the top.

The Reds were very good in the early 70's but after that trade they were the Big Red Machine.

Well thats kinda the point... If you know a guy is gonna be a superstar, you likely wouldn't be trading him for guys you aren't sure of/

rainbow

EOG Master

WHEN THE EXPOS TRADED KEN SINGLETON TO THE ORIOLES.

Journeyman

EOG Master

WHEN THE EXPOS TRADED KEN SINGLETON TO THE ORIOLES.

If I'm not mistaken the Orioles also got Mike Torrez in that one..I think they sent Montreal Dave McNally and Rich Coggins....McNally was pretty much done, didn't play much after the trade.

Talk about lopsided :cheers

Seriously? The A's make the playoffs most years with one of the worst budgets in MLB. The guy can't afford to keep any of the players he finds and they are always rebuilding, yet the team is a consistent winner. Gotta give him a ton of credit for finding these guys that no one wants and turning them into stars... that he than has to trade away for other pieces of crap no one wants. And then the cycle starts again.

ALSO WHEN THE EXPOS TRADED PEDRO MARTINEZ TO THE REDSOX...........
also
May 25, 1989 ? The Montreal Expos trade pitchers Randy Johnson, Gene Harris, and Brian Holman to the Seattle Mariners for pitchers Mark Langston and Mike Campbell.

" Had the Expos kept Johnson, they would have had one of the best one-two punches with Johnson and Pedro Martinez. Lord have mercy."