What sports-related death hit you the hardest personally???

Figure this may be a decent topic, considering that we've lost a lot of athletes the past couple of years

I figure we'll get alot of Sean Taylor and Len Bias replies, since these two died so young. And of course NASCAR fans, will point to Dale Earnhardt's wreck

For me, watching Hank Gathers collapse on the basketball court in the middle of a game back in 1990 was pretty hard to watch. Earnhardrt's wreck ranks up there too

And being a STL Cardinals fan, hearing the news of Darryl Kile's death shook me up a bit as well

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: What sports-related death hit you the hardest personally???

Len Bias and then Dale Earnhardt, nothing close to those two....both those days I remember like yesterday.

Johnny Unitas was sad too but nothing like the other two I mentioned.

didn't mention any of the deaths in Pro Wrestling, since my question focuses more on the big 3 or 4 sports (baseball, football, basketball, ect..)

munson15

I want winners...

My avatar answers that question.:( Never completely got over it. I grew up with the man as a hero and idol. Died the day before my 21st birthday, and I cried along with Reggie, Billy and the others when they played that Friday night on my birthday. The vision of the empty catcher's position will never leave my memory, unfortunately.

Journeyman

EOG Master

didn't mention any of the deaths in Pro Wrestling, since my question focuses more on the big 3 or 4 sports (baseball, football, basketball, ect..)

of all the wrestling deaths, Eddie Guerrero

MC,

I still remember that Randy Moss press conference to this day after Korey Stringer died, how grief stricken the guy was. Didn't think much of Moss before that, but gained a lot of respect for how much he cared about his fallen teammate

Just horrible to watch

of all the wrestling deaths, Eddie Guerrero

that one was tough J Man. Real shame how the WWE exploited it though

I mentioned in one of my wrestling threads that Owen Hart's death hit me the hardest, because it was so preventable. He should of never been up there, he was so talented and didn't need that stupid gimmick to get over with the fans

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

For me, Dale Earnhardt by far I think but being young and seeing a player I loved to watch play and fall on the court, Hank Gathers death really woke me up. Tough question to think back at all of em.' Good topic.

Tesco Vee

EOG Veteran

i was at the game when Hank Gathers passed away. Sat the row in front of his family. it was a sunday night 6pm game so not a lot of people there. I was a student at the time. will never get March 4
my buddies were doing the play by play for the college station

Hercules

EOG Addicted

Thurman Munson !!!
I know the guy who replaced him in the Yankees lineup. They brought this kid up to fast and it destroyed his carreer !!!

Owen Hart. Like a lot of the wrestling-related deaths it came unexpectedly but different from the others in that he was pretty much still close to in his prime and that he died during an act of performing. Completely unlike a lot of the drug-related deaths, suicides, etc. that have happened in that business.

If wrestling doesn't count, then I'd go with Len Bias. Drafted high and was about to embark on stardom only to die. Earnhardt's crash would be next on my list.

i was at the game when Hank Gathers passed away. Sat the row in front of his family. it was a sunday night 6pm game so not a lot of people there. I was a student at the time. will never get March 4
my buddies were doing the play by play for the college station

WOW Tesco, didn't know that. Something I bet you'll never forget, unfortunately

Hercules

EOG Addicted

Another baseball one was Ken Caminiti. The former MVP was really srewed up on crack cocaine and pain pills !!! He did the whole cocktail of death thing !!! And of course depo-testosterone was involved also !!!

Tesco Vee

EOG Veteran

WOW Tesco, didn't know that. Something I bet you'll never forget, unfortunately

yes it was like a horrible dream. im just glad i went there when the hoops team was actually really good. i was at the UNLV game when somebody had to call in a fake bomb threat just to give the Rebels some resting time.

would suck to go to LMU now and have to watch that HS squad.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Sean Taylor... He was my favorite player to watch on the defensive side of the ball. I have Sunday Ticket and I made a point to watch the Skins a lot when they were on defense bc of him.

The General

I'd also say Walter Peyton and his death so young.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Len Bias death, he was to blame, I was shocked to learn just a short time later it was drugs...I remember saying the night before that Bias had to be the luckiest man alive, here he was so young and talented and going to what was already a great team...could not have been a better scenario...ad of course Bias was everything in Maryland at the time, I saw every game he ever played in basically.

And with Dale, if dying can ever be looked at as 'magificent' he died magnificently...you could not have writted a better way to die for him....so many things about his death are just surreal, it was the perfect tragic death if you will.

I remember going home after the race and just sat down to watch the NBA game which was already at the half I believe, Amhad Rashad came on and gave the news, I wanted to run from the TV, didn't think it was possible. NASCAR was never the same for me.

The General

Len Bias is another. The young kids get to a lot of us, me anyhow, because it makes us appreciate the breathes we still have.

rainbow

EOG Master

1.ROBERTO CLEMENTE
2.THURMAN MUNSON
3. WALTER PAYTON
4. LEN BIAS

Miklos Feher ( I don't expect 99% of you to know who he is) former Benfica soccer player who just fell in the middle of the game and pretty much died right on the spot. Til this day when I watch the youtude clip of it and the player benfica players/coaches just crying there eyes out still get's to me.

With wrestling Owen Hart was tough to take. I just finished Bret's book and relived that awful day again.

The General

Another couple recent being a big race fan was Benny parsons(65) and bobby Hamilton Sr.(50) 2 great guys for the sport that took a TONS of knowledge with them pertaining to their sport.

Another couple recent being a big race fan was tBenny parsons and bobby Hamilton Sr. 2 great guys for the sport that took a TONS of knowledge with them pertaining to their sport.

General do you know who the guy in the picture is ?

MCP

Steve Olin...gruesome and tragic

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Greg Moore, Canadian Indy Car racer. A young BC guy and a good kid. Ayrton Senna in F1. Bobby Fischer dies today in chess which was a shock. In his 60s and one of the best ever. Football it was probably Walter Payton dying so young.

MCP

newbieca where can i see more of that chick

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

First off, Nonewbieca has the best avatars!!!!!

Second, Drazen Petrovic. i was a huge nets fan as a kid and loved this guy. I had bought his jersey like 2 weeks before he died in a car crash. I felt like I jinxed him or something.

roach23

Banned

Jerome Brown...cause i was a kid when he died and he was one of my favorite players.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

payne stewart for me. guy was on top of the world and was doing so much for golf at the time.