If the goal of a linesmaker is to garner even action...

MCP

Then why is the term "trap line" uttered so much ? am I to believe linesmakers prefer to gamble on a few games ?

Woody

EOG Veteran
Re: If the goal of a linesmaker is to garner even action...

Then why is the term "trap line" uttered so much ?

Must say I've never understood it either. I think it reflects some gambler's underlying insecurity.

This week someone said Packers-6.5 looked like a trap and they would have felt better if it was -7.5. Well they can now bet it at -7.5, I got it at the better number.

The concept is that the lines makers open a line designed to get two way action. Only one side gets played by the betting public. Line goes up and the public still keeps hitting the same side.Who has more knowledge? The linesmaker or the average bettor. Hence some people would think this type of game is a trap.

Culver

EOG Veteran

If an amateur doesn't understand a line he has to come to one of two conclusions:

1) He has no idea what he's doing handicapping and betting sports.

2) The line for this particular game is an inticate, devious trap set by all the intricate, devious bookmakers who stay up together all night on a secret conference phone call thinking up ways to put up numbers that are incorrect by several points in order to confuse the $50 bettors of the world. Of the hundreds of sports books in the world, not one of them puts up the "right" number because that would ruin the "trap".

Invariably, the ignorant will chose number 2.

Any bettor who uses the word "trap" is identifying themselves as a complete fool.

I don't know what the opening line, middle of the week line, or closing line is supposed to attract.

I talk to my favorite Las Vegas bookies everyday. They don't have the answers. They are as nervous about outcomes as any of us and rely on the -110.

NoAnchovies

EOG Enthusiast

If you took GB -7.5 and win, your a sharp.

If you took GB -6.5 and lose, your a square.

:+textinb3

Journeyman

EOG Master

In reality there's no such thing as a trap game.

Just another term for a surprise result AFTER the game is over, "that game was a trap" no such thing in reality.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

. Of the hundreds of sports books in the world, not one of them puts up the "right" number because that would ruin the "trap".
I did that one week back in September of 1992, I was severely reprimanded by the Sportbook Trap Committee. No booze or broads for a fortnight. I definitely learned my lesson.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

If an amateur doesn't understand a line he has to come to one of two conclusions:

1) He has no idea what he's doing handicapping and betting sports.

2) The line for this particular game is an inticate, devious trap set by all the intricate, devious bookmakers who stay up together all night on a secret conference phone call thinking up ways to put up numbers that are incorrect by several points in order to confuse the $50 bettors of the world. Of the hundreds of sports books in the world, not one of them puts up the "right" number because that would ruin the "trap".

Invariably, the ignorant will chose number 2.

Any bettor who uses the word "trap" is identifying themselves as a complete fool.

I don't know how you can say that with any conviction at all. If you define the word "Trap", it means basically that you're sucking someone into a situation where the person thinks that they have the best of it when they really don't. If money is pouring in on one side of the game because the bettors feel they have the best of it, how can you not call it a "Trap"?

I used to hear Larry Ness spew out this BS on his radio program back in the 80's. Saying there is no such thing as a trap is like saying the bookies want all the games to have equal money. Bookies don't make money with equal money on both sides. The line psychologically sways bettors to one side or the other. When I was booking, I maybe had two games in all those years that came out within $100 of each other.

And bookmakers don't have to stay up all night conspiring as they have their line service for that. You're not going to tell me there's anyone out there that's independent and put out their own lines are you? Everything in Vegas is so vanilla now that a book manager really doens't have to know what he/she are doing!

newb411breaker

EOG Member

bettors make the line. If there is a trap, its the public doing it to itself.

shoebox

EOG Veteran

bettors make the line. If there is a trap, its the public doing it to itself.

Bettors do NOT make the line, they shape the line, the move the line, but an oddsmaker makes the line.

A bookmakers job is not to encourage equal action on a game, its to make money and to make money u need to win decisions, in the real world there is rarely a 50-50 write on a game. The goal of writing equal action is an urban legend believed by non BM's

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Bettors do NOT make the line, they shape the line, the move the line, but an oddsmaker makes the line.

A bookmakers job is not to encourage equal action on a game, its to make money and to make money u need to win decisions, in the real world there is rarely a 50-50 write on a game. The goal of writing equal action is an urban legend believed by non BM's

:3dapplaudir::3dapplaudir::3dapplaudir::3dapplaudir:
anyone who thinks bookmakers try to get even action on games should stop betting right now. Just think how hard this would be? You have Parlays, teasars, reverses and on an on so how an the hell are they gonna adjust a line accordingly? Lets take the Pitt / Cinny game today. Nobody took Cincy except most guys who can read a line and handicap linesmakers instead of players(which is the only freaking way anyone is gonna win anything betting on these games). Now i would bet out of every ten bets on this game 8 or even 9 were bet on Pitt who just beat Gtown. Those people who bet Pitt at 4 would have bet them at 4,4.5,5,5.5,6 and 7 but the books kept it at 4 and even dropped it to 3.5. You have to be a complete fool to think they were striving for equal action on this game and even a bigger fool to not know the books wanted every cent they could get on Pitt. Do the books win all the time doing this? Of course not. they want sharp money also.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

One last thing Shoe the Vegas bookmakers lie right thru there teeth pushing this urban legend and that is why knuckleheads buy into it. For some reason they believe everything a vegas linemaker says. I wouldn't trust those lying pricks with your money. they are in the business to make money and not help out the bettor. Kinda like the misleading consensus sites that are so readily available anymore. See guys post it all the time now. " MY site has 40 thousand bets on so and so". What people fail to realize is like tomorrow the real heavy money will be pouring in about three hours before the game(since it starts at 3 eastern). Usually you hardly see any lines move either so what does that tell ya? all that money coming in and you will be lucky to see the line move a half point but during the week when hardly anyone is betting the line moves three points. Go figure.

rainbow

EOG Master

In reality there's no such thing as a trap game.

Just another term for a surprise result AFTER the game is over, "that game was a trap" no such thing in reality.
THERE IS SUCH THING IS A TRAP LINE,THESE ARE JUST 2 GAMES I USED YESTERDAY AND TRAPPED THEM ON. THEY BET ME YESTERDAY MORNING ON JAMES MADISON +4 AT THE TIME EVERYONE WAS USING GEORGE MASON -3.5 THE GAME CLOSED GEORGE MASON -4.5 THE OTHER ONE WAS, THEY BET ME FRESNO +2.5 WHEN EVERYONE WAS USING HAWAII -2 THE GAME CLOSED HAWAII -3. AND THAT REALLY HAPPENED YESTERDAY............