AF General: Spy satellite could hit US

dirty

EOG Master
By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press WriterTue Jan 29, 6:54 PM ET

The U.S. military is developing contingency plans to deal with the possibility that a large spy satellite expected to fall to Earth in late February or early March could hit North America.
Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, who heads of U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the size of the satellite suggests that some number of pieces will not burn up as it re-enters the Earth's atmosphere and will hit the ground.
"We're aware that this satellite is out there," Renuart said. "We're aware it is a fairly substantial size. And we know there is at least some percentage that it could land on ground as opposed to in the water."
He added, "As it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," then the U.S. military along with the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will either have to deal with the impact or assist Canadian or Mexican authorities.
Military agencies, he said, are doing an analysis to determine which pieces would most likely survive re-entry. But he cautioned that officials won't have much detail on where or when it will crash until it begins to move through the atmosphere and break up.
Renuart added that there does not as yet appear to be much concern about sensitive technologies on the satellite falling into enemy hands.
"I'm not aware that we have a security issue," he said. "It's really just a big thing falling on the ground that we want to make sure we're prepared for."
The satellite includes some small engines that contain a toxic chemical called hydrazine ? which is rocket fuel. But Renuart said they are not large booster engines with substantial amounts of fuel.

AF General: Spy satellite could hit US - Yahoo! News

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
Re: AF General: Spy satellite could hit US

Landing in my backyard +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
I'd have to lay a buck or two with those kind of odds :houra

Anyone remember when Skylab fell to the Earth back in the mid-70s? I remember such a big deal being made about the ordeal. Can't remember where it ended up landing.

On a somewhat related note, anyone see where the fisherman brought in a fish over the weekend that had a note attached to it? Fifteen years ago, some first grader in Japan released a balloon as part of a school project. Attached to the balloon was info regarding the school's 100th anniversary, the girls name, address, etc. Well lo and behold, some guy pulled in a bunch of fish this weekend, and one of the fish had the note somehow stuck to it's side.

My daughter tried that once.....let a balloon go in an empty field down the street. About four weeks later, a guy who lives about 2 blocks from the field came knocking at the door, saying he found the note when he was cleaning out his gutters....LOL....didn't make it very far.

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran

That Dude can say they aint worried about it in enemy hands but u know damn well the US wont allow that fucker to get any where close to any country without blowin the hell outa it

dirty

EOG Master

yea... the US is going to fuck that shit up as soon as it enters where we can

I think this is much more of a threat...

Tybee Bomb

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content -->
Mark 15 bomb

The Tybee Bomb is a 7,600 pound (3,500 kg) Mark 15 hydrogen bomb that was lost in the waters off Savannah, Georgia on February 5, 1958. The bomb was jettisoned during a practice exercise after a B-47 bomber carrying it collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. It is presumed lost somewhere in Wassaw Sound off the shores of Tybee Island. The bomb is one of fourteen nuclear weapons known to be missing from the U.S. nuclear arsenal.
<table id="toc" class="toc" summary="Contents"> <tbody><tr> <td> Contents

[hide]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); } //]]> </script>
[edit] The accident

The B-47 bomber was on a simulated combat mission from Homestead Air Force Base in Florida. It was carrying a single 7,600 pound (3,500 kg) bomb. At about 2:00 AM, the B-47 collided with an F-86. The F-86 crashed after the pilot parachuted out. The B-47 was damaged but still operational. The crew then requested permission to jettison the bomb. Permission was granted and the bomb was jettisoned at 7,200 feet (2,200 m) while traveling about 200 knots (370 km/h). The crew did not see an explosion upon impact. They then managed to land the B-47 safely at Hunter Air Force Base.

[edit] Recovery efforts

Starting on February 6, 1958, the Air Force 2700th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron and 100 Navy personnel equipped with hand held sonar and galvanic drag and cable sweeps mounted a search. On April 16, 1958 the announcement was made that the search efforts had been unsuccessful. Based upon a hydrologic survey, the bomb was thought to lie buried under 5 to 15 feet (2 to 5 m) of silt at the bottom of Wassaw Sound.
Recent recovery efforts have been spearheaded by retired Air Force Colonel Derek Duke. In 2004, Duke claimed to have found the possible resting spot of the bomb in just twelve feet of water less than one mile from shore. He and his partner located the spot by trolling the area in their boat with a Geiger counter in tow. The spot that Duke believes is the final resting place of the bomb reads seven to ten times as high on the geiger counter as do the surrounding areas. Interest in recovery of the bomb has resurfaced among residents of nearby Tybee Island.
The Air Force completed its study of the area in September or October of 2004, and then was due to release a report in mid April 2005.<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup>
The report was finally released in June 2005. The Air Force stated that high radiation measurements are from natural occurring radioactive materials, and that the location of the bomb is still unknown. <sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup>

[edit] The bomb

The 12 foot (4 m) long Mark 15 bomb weighs 7,600 pounds (3,500 kg) and bears the serial number "No. 47782". It contains 400 pounds (180 kg) of conventional high explosives, and highly enriched uranium. The Air Force maintains that the bomb's nuclear capsule was removed prior to its flight aboard the B-47. As noted in the Atomic Energy Commission "Form AL-569 Temporary Custodian Receipt (for maneuvers)" signed by the aircraft commander, the bomb contained a simulated 150 cap (which was made of lead).

[edit] Potential threat

In 2001, the United States Air Force conducted a study to determine whether the bomb posed a threat to residents of the surrounding area. The study (available here) concluded that the bomb does not pose a significant threat because it is missing the nuclear capsule that is used to initiate the nuclear reaction. The bomber pilot maintains that the weapon did have the nuclear capsule when he took off. The Air Force says with all certainty that the bomb does contain conventional explosives and highly enriched uranium, which could pose an environmental or proliferation threat. The Air Force determined that it was prudent to leave the bomb entombed in mud at the bottom of the sea floor rather than disturb it and risk the potential of detonation or contamination.

[edit] Notable quotes

• "I don't like this story at all. If it poses any danger to the people, it ought to be found and removed. But I don't think any of this attention is good for Tybee." - Tybee Mayor Walter Parker
  • "I wish they'd forget about the whole thing. They're just wasting their time. It ain't going to hurt anybody. And it scares the hell out of the tourists." - Tybee City Council member Jack Youmans
  • "I'm pleased to see the attention this is getting. There are too many questions and inconsistencies that still need to be addressed. When others in government say they would prefer to put their heads in the sand and forget about it, they should remember that it is the same sand that the bomb is buried in." - Tybee City Council member Pam O'Brien
  • "You tell me this: 40 years ago, why did they spend two months looking for a bomb if it was a fake?" - Tybee City Manager Tom Cannon
  • "We still believe it is completely safe and entombed ... but we felt it was a prudent step in today's day and age to look at all information that might pinpoint the location of the bomb." - Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Frank Smolinsky
  • "I thought that if we landed short, the plane would catch the front of the runway and the bomb would shoot through the plane like a bullet through a gun barrel." - B-47 pilot Howard Richardson
  • "If we're so worried about terrorists getting ahold of nuclear weapons, why aren't we doing anything about this? Right down there, somewhere, is the material to make a dirty bomb." - Air Force Colonel Derek Duke, retired
  • "Derek Duke just doesn't know what he's talking about. I keep telling him he's wrong. The paper says no [plutonium] capsule on board. I think I know what I signed for." - B-47 pilot Howard Richardson
  • "The biggest danger would be just digging could cause damage to the environment." - Air Force Public Affairs Officer Major Cheryl Law
  • "We began working with the Air Force immediately after I learned about the potential existence of the old bomb last year. Today I feel confident that the experts did their job. I'm happy to hear that the people living, working and playing on Tybee Island are safe." - U. S. Representative Jack Kingston, R-Ga