Do you think many posters actually win?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated
Re: Do you think many posters actually win?

It is a fact that 95%+ of gamblers lose. Why would that ratio be much different at a forum? Maybe a little but not a lot. Most lose. Hey it is entertainment for many and that is fine. Gambling is fun for many and I got no problem with that.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

It is a fact that 95%+ of gamblers lose. Why would that ratio be much different at a forum? Maybe a little but not a lot. Most lose. Hey it is entertainment for many and that is fine. Gambling is fun for many and I got no problem with that.

Agreed. But I do think money management and handicapping advice can gleaned from the forum to help one possibly get into that 5%. (really it's probably more like 2%).

Journeyman

EOG Master

If you can be 100% disciplined anyone on the forum should hold their own....most cannot be 100% disciplined though.

Also the forum world can contribute to frustration and lack of discipline at some point , especially when you work for a forum....forum politics can play a part.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

If you can be 100% disciplined anyone on the forum should hold their own....most cannot be 100% disciplined though.

Also the forum world can contribute to frustration and lack of discipline at some point , especially when you work for a forum....forum politics can play a part.

Discipline is one of the main keys without a doubt. If you untilize the best of the forum by listening to the smart experienced winning bettors...and following them too...with discipline...then you have a much better chance to win. Good point about using the best of the forum because there certainly is good info too (a lot of crap as well but definitely a lot of solid info). Agreed a forum can help your bottom line.

Yep, agreed. The longer a guy can stay in the game (meaning years, not weeks or months), the more likely he is to attain the level of discipline necessary.

Problem: most guys get married, go broke, or otherwise get flagged, unable to stay in the game for the necessary timeframe.

Very few guys start winning early in their gambling careers, consistently winning, that is. It's a process. Hey, I'm almost 66yrs. old, and I was a loser for many of those years. Actually, I lost so much about 30 years ago, that I ended up laying off for many years. It was only after coming back to the game that I began to learn discipline. And then it took another 10 years. I now claim to be one of the 2% (or less).

Journeyman

EOG Master

Most people have too many distractions for most to play all the time seriously IMO.

I have had my ups and downs since finding the forums 7 years ago, but have managed to win in every year accept one (that one was pretty bad though) but a couple of those years were very good ...

After 3 very good years, last year I slipped up late in the year ,and had a bad streak that I blame more on just being caught up in forum drama and politics than anything else...thankfully I don't have an addictive personality and don't need to play...baseball was awesome again last year...at the end of lats baseball season, I caved to emotion and lost my discipline for the first time in a long time.

For anyone that bets say 100 a game or less you should be able to play all year round if you have discipline and are just playing for fun.

Stress becomes a big part of it when the bet size goes up to 500-2000 a game for the average Joe (50-100K bank), 500-1000 was my range for the most part, occasioanlly stepping up to 2k-3k(rare), with $500 being the 'buzz' mark :)

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Doesn't the figure 95% have to go down at some time?

In 10 years I have had ONE career winner. After 4 weeks he was up 30K at a dime a game. He was beating us to the moves. We paid him and told him to take that steam and shove it up his ass.

Everyone else either is a "dump truck" or is somewhat sharp but have "leaks" in their game. (TILT BUTTON)

Probably seen 250 faces come and go. You do the math.