Who here has suffered the worse gambling beat?

I'd love to hear some bad beats so perhaps some of mine won't hurt as much....

What the absolute worst beat you ever suffered gambling? :+clueless

Thanks,

THE SHRINK

Re: Who here has suffered the worse gambling beat?

I lost in preseason this year when farve threw an int at the end of the game which was returned for a td. I believe it was 4th down and they were inside their own 20 with time running out and the outcome decided.

I remember losing with the Cowboys when a field goal or extra point was blocked and returned by the Vikings but it's a hazy memory...

I had the Mariners on August 5th, 2001. When the Indians completed the biggest comeback in MLB History. Being down to the Seattle Mariners, 12-0 in the 4th, and 14-2 in the 6th, the Indians rallied to win, 15-14 in 11 innings.

That, I hope, will never be topped.

I had the Mariners on August 5th, 2001. When the Indians completed the biggest comeback in MLB History. Being down to the Seattle Mariners, 12-0 in the 4th, and 14-2 in the 6th, the Indians rallied to win, 15-14 in 11 innings.

OSUCOWBOYS,

I had them in a 7 game parlay and they were the last game I needed.

Man, thanks for dredging that one up! I think I have that beat down posted on the rx if it's still there, I can't remember, but I know I spent days crying over it.

dirty

EOG Master

I have suffered some bad ones.... One last year when I needed 1 point to go over in Hawks/bobcats game with almost 3 minutes left and no points were scored.....

but the one that takes the cake was the Colts/Bucs a few years ago with the BS call on Brooks for climbing on the gack and Peyton "nutsucker" Manning brought the Colts back to win in OT :hung :hung :hung

I was actually on the right side of this but for those that were not here's the worst bad beat.

I don't remember exact details but I think it was the Jax/Pitt game. The only way for a cover was to block a FG and return it for a TD on the last play and it happened.

The Devil

EOG Master

HAD A 50-60 DIME DECISION ON A REDS - EXPOS GAME........WHEN THE KOSHERS WERE HOT......

NEEDED THE REDS BIG......

BOTTOM OF THE NINTH REDS UP 5-1 AND BRING IN ROB DIBBLE.....

WALK- HIT BATSMAN.....ERROR.....BLEEDER.....WALK....2 OUTS 5-4 BASES LOADED......BLOOPER IN CENTER.......INCHES AWAY FROM THE SECOND BASEMAN......SHORTSTOP AND CENTER FIELDER.....6-5 LOSS.....

AS DIBBLE CROSSES THE FOUL LINE HE RIPS HIS SHIRT OFF AS ALL THE BUTTONS POP...........

I can't really tap into the well on command. There have been so many fluke plays over the years, you have to let those go. Holding onto those memories helps no one except bookmakers.

What's most fresh on my mind is this past Super Bowl. The final drive, specifically. The clock malfunctioning on a series, which ultimately led to around 40 extra seconds not being shaved off. The interception bouncing off finger tips, balls crashing onto helmets for a catch that'll make every single SB highlight reel for decades to come.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

told this before

Kings +.5/+145 (when games could end a tie) and UP 3-1 late. Sharkey's Machine scores a PPG with just under 20 sec left to make it 3-2 then set the record for fastest 2 goals in team history when they tie the score with 3 sec left and then win it in OT - fuck you Vincent Damphousse

i was watching on TV live at the time and it took me about 20 minutes before i could move i was so stunned

the only other one to come close

Hawaii/Nebraska in the NIT. HI has around a 20-point 1/2-time lead and is only laying 2. HI misses about 9,000 FT attempts in the 2nd half and is up 3 late. the Steroid Mongers foul with a few seconds left. HI hits 1 of 2 to go up 4 with 3 sec left. the Mongers inbound the ball with HI basically standing on the sideline so no chance of fouling for a 4 point play. Nebraska hits a "meaningless" trey at the buzzer to lose by 1 - killing all of us who laid 2 and were UP 20ish at halftime

i had kentucky ML when laettner hit the turn around jumper. by far my worst beat. Was part of a 5 teamer and the first 4 legs came in.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

the 100% worst was

fullerton/ucsb at fullerton: titans down 2 with seconds left get a hoop and harm with 1/2 seconds left. fullerton was getting around +2 ish but i took the ML. fullerton makes the FT and ucsb calls tiemout having to go 94 feet in 1.2 seconds - no way, right

i was at the game and happy when UCSB went to inbound the ball. i swear what happened really happened

UCSB tosses the ball the length of the court. 2 players go for the ball around the FT line 80-ish feet away. the ball gets deflected, BOUNCES TWICE, a UCSB player picks up the ball, DRIBBLES IT ONCE and fired in a trey

and the refs COUNTED IT!

i guess the clock malfunctioned or something and it never started on time. the refs counted it and broke the world record for running off the court. 2 of them are the worst refs ever in NCAA hoops so no shock there. but go back and re-create the play and ask yourself how long something like that REALLLLLY took - 4 seconds at the least?

the gutless P.O.S. Big West Refs (redundant - i know) didn't have the gonads to wipe it off - figuring fullerton is at home - they had the problem - fuck them - and did they ever

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

I didnt have this, a buddy was on the plus side, he had USC. vs Arizona St ( I think were the teams) football in OT. line was USC by over a TD.

USC scores to go up 7. When Az St has the ball next, Az St QB is hit while throwing, ball goes 10 yards downfield, bounces and a USC player picks it up and starts returning it. Obvious incomplete pass. Refs somehow rule it a fumble. USC guy returns it 85 yards or so for a TD, USC wins by 13 in OT and covers

If Id had Az St Ive have had a fucking stroke on that one

Dec 21 2003 Jags win 20-19

The game below cost me a 6-team parlay (had the Jaguars -3). Not only the TD, but Carney MISSED the extra point, so I actually still would have had a chance for a win or more likely a PUSH in OT :finger004

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=3859613640694138236&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Too many to count. I had a +8.5 dog that was winning outright the ENTIRE GAME. A 3 point shot sent it to OT and they lost by 9. Never forget this one because it was a biggie.

Many, many, many, but the most memorable was in the 2001 NFL draft. I found a prop I absolutely loved- under 2.5 QB's taken in the 1st round. Only Dave Carr and Joe Harrington were projected to go in round 1. Next best qb was slated to go in the 3rd at best in every mock I could find. I thought for sure it was free money and maxed it out for $500(huge play for me).

The last 2 teams to pick in the 1st round were the Rams who had NFL MVP Kurt Warner and the Patriots, who of course have Brady.

I had already won the bet in my mind, counting the cash, you know- and then bam, it's over. The Redskins trade up and select Patrick Ramsey with the final pick of round one.

Turns out not one of those cocksuckers deserved to be drafted at all.

That didn't keep me from playing more NFL draft props, though.

The Greek had "any player chosen #1 overall other than Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young" at 100-1 in 2006. Thank you Mario Williams and Charlie Casserly! That made up for it plus some. It all evens out in the end.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

does the amount of money factor in, or is it just about the
'beat'?

South Carolina missed a late fg to cover against UNC in chapel hill this past season. Succup is usually automatic. I was there and sensed he was gonna miss it and he did. I think we won by 5 and I had USC -7.5. The fg would've covered by .5 pts. We were up like 28 at the half i believe. This wasnt the worst but one that i remember. I try to put these outta my mind.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

2006 National Title game LIVE betting before USC turned the ball over and Vince drove for the winning score. I grabbed a big but reasonable number on USC to hang on....

Behind the precise throwing of Matt Leinart, who despite his one interception, finished the day with otherwise stellar numbers, completing 29 of 40 passes for 365 yards and one touchdown, the Trojans drove 80 yards over nine plays in 3:36. Reggie Bush scored his only touchdown of the game on a 26-yard run to end the drive. (Bush finished the game with 95 yards on just six catches and gained 82 yards on 13 carries; he also averaged 20.2 yards over five punt returns.)

Two Vince Young completions to wide receiver Billy Pittman, who caught four passes for 53 yards on the day, helped the Longhorns drive to the USC 17-yard line on the next possession. When Young fumbled on third down, Texas settled for a 34-yard field goal that brought the Longhorns to within five, 31-26.

On their ensuing possession, The Trojans gained 48 yards with a 33-yard Leinart pass to Kirtman and a 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty. This set up a 22-yard scoring toss from Leinart to Jarrett, and a successful extra point attempt gave USC its biggest lead of the game, 38-26.

As Texas took the ball trailing by two scores with just 6:42 to play in the game, Young accounted for all 69 yards of a Longhorns' scoring drive that took just 2:39 to complete, rushing for 25 (including a 17-yard touchdown run) and completing five passes for the rest of the necessary yardage (For the game, Young completed 75 percent of his passes — 30-of-40 — for 267 yards, with no passing touchdowns, and no interceptions.) A successful Pino extra point attempt again brought Texas to within five with 3:58 to play.

Though the Longhorns' defense yielded one first down on the subsequent Southern California drive, it held the Trojans, who turned to LenDale White on a third down at midfield only to see him lose the ball and have it recovered by wide receiver Steve Smith just two yards short of a first down. A Texas timeout stopped the clock with 2:13 to play. Then, in what may have proved to be the most pivotal coaching decision of the game, Trojans coach Pete Carroll elected to give his number-two ranked offense (ranked behind only Texas) , which had averaged 582.2 yards and 50.0 points per game on the year, an opportunity to convert a fourth down-and-two at the Texas 45-yard line. However, due to pre-snap adjustments by the Texas defense, who had failed to stop this same play three times all leading to USC touchdowns, caused White to only gain slightly more than one yard, and Southern California turned the ball over at the Longhorns' 44-yard line with 2:09 to play in the game.

During the next and final Texas drive, the Longhorns faced a third down-and-twelve and converted for a first down at the USC 46-yard line after a completed pass for seven yards and a Trojans face-mask penalty. From there, Young hit little-used wide receiver Brian Carter twice for 26 yards to move the ball to the USC 13-yard line. Facing 4th down and 5 yards to go from the 8-yard line, Young notched his third rushing touchdown of the game with 19 seconds to play, giving his team a one-point lead. Young successfully reached the end zone again on the following two-point conversion, giving his team the 41-38 lead. The lead held as Leinart took the ball with only eight seconds left and was unable to drive the Trojans past the Texas 43-yard line before time expired. The loss would be only the second of Leinart's college career, and the first Rose Bowl loss for USC since the 1989 game.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Uggghhh, thanks for this Shrink. bad memories...

let's see, I was on the wrong side of the Music City Miracle. I can remember twice losing 1st half lines on guys throwing up 3/4 court shots that go in at the buzzer. How bout just yesterday the Devils scoring a goal with 2 seconds left up 4-1 and I have under 5.5. Why don't they just run the clock out in hockey like other sports?

minnyace01

EOG Addicted

I've had a couple that I can't seem to forget - one sports related the other on the horses. The sports one was a Vikings preseason game that I had the Vikes in the first half. At the end of the half, 30 seconds to go, the Vikings have the number covered and are driving inside the 5 yard line for another TD. They fumble, opponents pick it up and return it for a touchdown and there went the cover. The horse one occurred on a simulcast wager from Bay Meadows I believe. I had the lead horse in a grass race, all by himself midway down the homestretch, and he jumps the inner rail to DQ himself. Another one that is tough to forget.

The General's loss was my biggest ever win:

Texas ML +290
Texas +6 1/2
Over 69
Parlay: Texas ML & Over 69, +700
Prop: Texas to win by 1-4 pts., +700

But since this is a "bad beat" thread, I'll offer Larry Merchant's loss with Oakland +2 vs. the Steelers in the AFC championship game in 1972. Now I know there were a lot of guys who lost (or won) money on this one, but here's Merchant's 1973 book, NFL LOTTERY.

There was a little more than a minute to go. I didn't give the Steelers a chance with Bradshaw. He got the Steelers to their own forty and threw three incompletions. With twenty-two seconds left he heaved down the middle. There was a violent collision. My immediate flash was: I'm going to Miami to see the Dolphins play the Raiders next week.

The action switched to Franco Harris chugging down the sideline. Alone. Scoring. I knew what had happened -- it could only have been a deflection -- instantly. I fell to my knees and buried my head in my hands.

Sonofabitch.
Vic (guy he was watching the game with): "What happened?"
There was an instant replay.
The telephone rang.
"Hamburger Heaven," Jonathan answered.
"Watching the game?" his friend asked.
Vic cried, "I'm going to write my bookie a check that bounces too."
"You have to pay on acts of God," I said.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

This is just a $20 bet with a high school friend some 15 years ago (1994 if my memory serves me right) but still a sweet bad beat. This was a Louisiana high school football game between Bonnabel and ST Augustine (I had Bonnabel). Bonnabel is up 20-13 with 4 seconds left, 4th and 10ish from midfield. They call timeout and the coach tells the QB to take the snap and just run backwards out of the endzone to run the clock out giving up a safety. Well the QB takes the snap and sprints towards the opponents endzone as told. However, once he crosses the goalline he throws the ball straight up in the air to celebrate the victory. A St Aug player is chasing behind him and catches the ball in the endzone. The referees look at each other in disbelief for 10 seconds or so before raising the TD sign. St Aug goes for 2 and wins the game 21-20 in the most amazing ending I have ever seen.

This is just a $20 bet with a high school friend some 15 years ago (1994 if my memory serves me right) but still a sweet bad beat. This was a Louisiana high school football game between Bonnabel and ST Augustine (I had Bonnabel). Bonnabel is up 20-13 with 4 seconds left, 4th and 10ish from midfield. They call timeout and the coach tells the QB to take the snap and just run backwards out of the endzone to run the clock out giving up a safety. Well the QB takes the snap and sprints towards the opponents endzone as told. However, once he crosses the goalline he throws the ball straight up in the air to celebrate the victory. A St Aug player is chasing behind him and catches the ball in the endzone. The referees look at each other in disbelief for 10 seconds or so before raising the TD sign. St Aug goes for 2 and wins the game 21-20 in the most amazing ending I have ever seen.

WOW.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

everytime i lose the lottery, i know i have the right numbers, but the gambling gods just dont agree...

"i mean doesnt everyone hit the lottery a few times in thier life? i know of at least 10 friends that have in my day"

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

honestly - the coach shoulda been fired for this stupidity

the ONLY thing to do here is have the qb take the snap - have EVERY blocker HOLD on the play to make sure no one gets to the QB (after all the game CAN and DOES end on a penalty against the offense) and have the QB take a few steps back and simply throw the ball as far down the field as he can. more than 4 seconds will run off the clock and the game will be over. you see this happen all the time in CFB and NFL and especially Arena FB - and is what shoulda been done here

i can only imagine the reax of all there when this happened

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

It was pretty fukin insane. The QB is jumping around like they just won the game only to watch the refs give a TD signal a few seconds later. It was as amazing an event as I have ever witnessed.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

The worst beat I have ever seen (although I did not have a bet on the game) ocurred back in the 1970's at Madison Square Garden.

The Knicks are way ahead of the Bullets at the end of the game. The Bullets score a basket in the last few seconds, but the Knicks still have the spread covered by one point. The Knicks inbound the ball to Earl Monroe with three seconds left, and the Bullets back off down the court, essentially surrendering.

Monroe who has the ball directly under his own basket, instead of just holding it or dribbling it once or twice, inexplicably turns around and lays it up into his own basket as the buzzer goes off.

Knicks still win, but the Bullets cover. The Garden went stone quiet, and a friend of mine broke his hand on his living room wall.

Imagine if internet sports forums were in existence on that night?

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

We had a room full of Frat brothers in Vegas in the 90's that watched Ga Tech drain a half court shot at the buzzer to beat and cover vs USC in the NCAA tourney, cost the house around 5k......HALF COURT THROW, BUZZER, SWISH, LOSER !!!!!!

Dick Tator

EOG Enthusiast

Worst:

in the 80's i have St. Bonnie (I think) +16 against Temple in cbb. 20 seconds left and Temple is up 6. St Bonnie drives to the basket and gets hammered but no foul is called. The St. Bonnie coaches and players go birserk and get 5 technicals. Temple makes 10 free throws to go up by 16 and two more on the foul after the inbouds play. St. Bonnie comes back and makes a 3 pointer to cut it to 15 with one second left. St.Bonnie fouls with .5 left and Temple makes two more free throws to win by 17. I had 1500-2000 on the game.
(1 broken tv and 2 remotes after the shock wore off)

Best:

CFB in the 1990's. I have UCLA-12 against Wash or Wash St. UCLA is up big the whole game and up 21 with 6 minutes left and three quick touchdowns puts the game into overtime. No way to win now.....But UCLA loses the flip and has to take the ball first. Scores a touchdown. Then they pick the ball off in the endzone and take it 103 yards. Win by 13. almost 32k turnaround.
I was a lucky prick on that one.

WOW, good stuff G8!!!!!!! I remember both those games, didn't have bets on either one though

btw, Welcome to EOG buddy :cheers

cassiusclay

EOG Master

the title to this is "the only time i ever had bad luck with my cock in my hand"...sorry for the rude title but i hate this....
i am in vegas at a bar, i have the bulls and they are playing the jazz. it's late in the game and i need overtime. the jazz tie it up with no time left...i get up from a packed bar to take a leak. i get in the bathroom, unzip and look up at the television to see they must have put 2 seconds back on the clock and jordan make one of his circus shots to end the game. i think i pissed on the guy standing next to me. i walk back out to the bar and it is completely empty. i sat down and said to the bartender, "do you believe that shit?" he looked at me and laughed....

TheNJKid

EOG Enthusiast
i dont know if this counts

i dont know if this counts

this is my worst period of time ever. for me, i hope to christ i can never top this....
in a 7 week period i tripled my bankroll which for me was as much a financial win , but more a sign that i was doign things that i believed correct in handicapping. i'm still new so every day i learn something new(well now i'm taking a break because...)
after having done this, for me, i was shot. i truly respect how day in and day out pros are on the grind capping.
i started to tail other people's picks. call me a *****, but i swear i was exhausted as this is my first year capping college and pro basketball.
ok, so i tailed massive amounts of other peoples picks, got myself in a hole with their selections, was too burned out to do my thing, and tried to salvage my losses.
short story long.....87.5% of my bankroll is now gone. i swear as god is my witness to me typing this. i can not tell you how depressed i am. i can pick a game as i can not mentally take another loss right now..

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

what a fucking idiot that QB is

and the coach

it amazes me how scared these idiots get of a blocked punt. tell the punter to take one step and punt it as far as he can out of bounds 10 yards down the field.

or just run a toss sweep. or have a receiver start to run deep and have the QB overthrow him by 15 yards

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

ANYONE who had the Rangers tonite needs to go damn near the top of this list

UP 5-0 the Habs score 5 goals the last 32 minutes to tie then win in a shootout

thankfully i did NOT Have NYR - if i did.........................

Rxx

EOG Veteran

i had that one as well. But, i think that the worst was an NFL game between New Orleans and Carolina. Panthers were about a 4 or 5 point dog. NO led by 2 or 3 points with 10 seconds left and Caro had the ball. QB goes back to pass, is sacked, fumbles, picked up by a DE and runs 20 yards for a TD.

HORRIBLE!

Had a $500 10 team 7 pt teaser with Northwestern +21 against MN 3 yrs ago. With 2 minutes left up 18 pts Glen Mason decides to go for it on 4th and 2. does he run? No. Does he kick a field goal? No. Does he try to get a first down? no. He runs a flea flicker with a pitch to the tail back who throws obviously to a wide open receiver for a 24 yd TD.