Tenn Volunteers #1 ranking lasts just 48 hours!?

Journeyman

EOG Master
Yes I do believe they are ripe tonight, @ Vanderbilt and addios #1 ranking.

Who do you guys like tonight here Tenn @ Vandy?

:cocktail This one should be a shootout!

Re: Tenn Volunteers #1 ranking lasts just 48 hours!?

Vandy's floor and building is a tough place to play. Vandy shoots a lot of 3's and if they are falling, the Vols could be in trouble.

Journeyman

EOG Master

yes these two very tough road games are in the same state but this is a real tough back to back! I cannot see how they will have the same energy tonight.

At the same time I can't see Lofton having back to back stinker games.

Vandy 88- Ten 80

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

interesting.if tennessee does lose do you see memphis,north carolina or tennessee at the top of the next poll?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

yes these two very tough road games are in the same state but this is a real tough back to back! I cannot see how they will have the same energy tonight.

At the same time I can't see Lofton having back to back stinker games.

Vandy 88- Ten 80

These are 18-22 yo kids, and they've had a full 2 days off between games...I don't think the energy level will be any problem for UT, especially since this is a big in-state rival and they've just achieved the #1 ranking for the first time ever!

Someone posted that taking the under in a big game situation, like the UT-Memphis game, which was 153, is a good strategy. UT and Memphis both started out hot as a firecracker and even so the over was never a possibility, except for OT. This total is tentatively slated to be 161....looks like another good under bet!

got the Under here

UT/Memphis was supposed to be a shootout as well. Don't think Vandy wants to run for 40 minutes here

good point Pioneer, these big rivalry games like this tend to be similar to NBA Playoff games, with teams getting more deliberate at stretches of the game.

More physical too, and as long as the refs let 'em play and we don't have 40 FT attempts on each side, Under looks good

This game has under written in it all over the place. Opposing teams tend to find the Vandy rims hard and Pearl will play a slow game to maintain the #1 ranking as long as possible.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I think you guys make a great case for the UNDER!

It would be impossible to be as 'up' tonight as Saturday, and one would think Vanderbilt will have that edge , this is a real tough back to back road set period.

48 hours.. Since when to the update the rankings on 2 day intervals?

Everyone thinks Vandy wins tonight, that is why I like Tennessee.

Go Vols!

Journeyman

EOG Master

This game has under written in it all over the place. Opposing teams tend to find the Vandy rims hard and Pearl will play a slow game to maintain the #1 ranking as long as possible.

nice call.

:cheers

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

I think Kentucky will be in for a very difficult game Sunday at Tennessee...

Wildcats already beat the Vols...and have to play 'em after this loss...might be a beat-down game.

Pearl is a terrible coach, he is why they lost.

He is not a bad coach. Who had Tennessee that high in the preseason? They got lucky the last two minutes of the Memphis game and they won but tonight was not their night. Hard to win on the road back to back within 72 hrs.

MjfTheGeniusII

EOG Senior Member

No, shooting 23% from the Floor in the first half and a Hostile Environment is why they lost....

There is a reason they shot 23%, it was obvious the players were confused what to do on offense. It's not like they were missing wid ipen jumpers or layups. Everything was constested because their coach did not come in with a good enough gameplan to beat Vandy. They tried running the same play over and over again wit the drible handoff. That dribble hand off only cojested things more. Every shot Tennesee took was crazy, Lofton kept jacking up crazy shit. When it comes to X's and Os Pearl is among the worst coaches I can think of.

MjfTheGeniusII

EOG Senior Member

He is not a bad coach. Who had Tennessee that high in the preseason? They got lucky the last two minutes of the Memphis game and they won but tonight was not their night. Hard to win on the road back to back within 72 hrs.

Talent wise I had them ranked as a top 4 team in my book. if you are truly the #1 team it shouldn't be that hard. I guess pearl is an idiot for scheduling the games this way then.

dirty

EOG Master

There is a reason they shot 23%, it was obvious the players were confused what to do on offense. It's not like they were missing wid ipen jumpers or layups. Everything was constested because their coach did not come in with a good enough gameplan to beat Vandy. They tried running the same play over and over again wit the drible handoff. That dribble hand off only cojested things more. Every shot Tennesee took was crazy, Lofton kept jacking up crazy shit. When it comes to X's and Os Pearl is among the worst coaches I can think of.

yes ... the reason was Vandy was in their face and after them at every turn. Has nothing to do with Coaching... Vandy was Motivated. After 20+ games it is up to the players to adjust and take the Crowd out of it on the road... No matter what plays the coach calls they players have to execute... He can't make them make the extra pass or not take BS shots. Sometimes the other team just has Your Number and there is not anything a coach can do about it.

I think he did a great Job by settling his team down and even keeping them in the game the way they shot the ball... That is the sign of a good coach. Keeping your team in a game they shouldn't even be in.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

I think Bruce Pearl is a solid coach and recruiter...

Only problem I have with him is that he is a "rat". The crap he pulled when he was at Iowa was horseshit.

I don't think it's all about coaching, I'm sure there wasn't anything deficient in that regard in terms of getting ready for this game. The players have to play well, that's the bottom line. Obviously the formula is there given their success this year, however, you can make a strong case that the players weren't approaching this game with the right amount of mental toughness.

MjfTheGeniusII

EOG Senior Member

I like bruce Pearl, I was just pissed off. I feel a little better now.