2008 MLB Futures Plays

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran
Here are the Over/Under futures I have (or plan to place) place prior to season’s start. Although most bets have yet to be placed in anticipation of better prices, they are certain to be placed, as they are trading well below intrinsic value. I may add more plays at a later date.

National League

1. Braves Over 86 -105

Comment: Although on paper, the Braves have not improved much, they should accomplish a sizable jump off an 84 win total last season. In my opinion, the Braves may be the most underrated team in the NL, and a top three contender in the league. With a lot of hidden free agents in the likes of Mike Gonzalez (only 18 games last year), Texeria (only 54 games for the Braves), and replacing Soriano for Wickman in the closer role from the onset, provides a lot of hidden value on this team. The Braves possess a very underrated bullpen, and a deep pitching staff and deep lineup necessary to prevent prolong losing streaks. The market is discounting wins from this team in exchange for inflating the totals on the Mets and Phillies.

2. Brewers Over 84 -110
Comment: The Brewers have a makeup of a “sexy” team that is usually accompanied by an inflated line. However, their huge drop-off late last season prevented them from bypassing the 84 win clip they should bypass this year. Despite having a lot of hitters coming off career years, these players possess youth and upside potential that should prevent a letdown season. Sizable improvements from Bush, Weeks, and Capuano should add some wins, while key free agent signings to shore up bullpen concerns provides balance to this team. In my opinion, the Brewers are the best team in their division, yet are being overshadowed the perennial high expectation teams like the Cubs.

3.) Nats Over 71.5 -110
Comment: Believe it or not, I feel that the Nationals are better than 3 to 5 teams in the NL on paper, yet are being priced as if they were only better than two. The other good news is the notion that they are a team that plays better than they do on paper. They are a team that constantly gets swept under the rug as they lack any big name sluggers or anything remotely close to a potent line. However, that is something I have not overlooked (valuing them as the second worst lineup in the NL). What the market has not discounted aside from their gritty play not customary for a cellar team is their above average bullpen and pitching staff that should improve off of last year. 73 wins was their total last year. In my opinion, they will at least match that this year.

4. Cubs Under 87.5 -110
Comment: Rarely will you see the Cubs potential not fully quantified in the market place. This year appears to be no exception, being priced higher than all but two teams in the NL. The Cubs have a good lineup, good bullpen, and good pitching staff. However, good does not cut 88 plus wins. The sub par backend of the rotation and closer question marks is not customary for a team with such high expectations. Like most free agents from Japan, the addition of Fukodome is more hype than substance, and will not go unnoticed in the marketplace.

5. DBacks Under 86.5 -105
Comment: In my opinion, the DBacks are the 4th best team in their division, yet are being priced as if they were second to only the Dodgers. The Dodgers, Padres and Rockies are all carrying small value on their Over win expectancy, which appears to be a conglomeration of the overvalued status of the DBacks. Their pitching staff is very solid, but is very ordinary in the NL West. Webb and Haren is a solid 1-2 punch, but both should drop-off from last year’s numbers. Johnson and Davis are well past their prime, and the high standard deviation of expected returns in their pitching staff should provide for streaks good and bad. The talent pool in the NL West has increased substantially this year- making it an attractive division for an Under play or two. The Dbacks appear to be the most intriguing opportunity for such an approach.

6.) Phillies Under 88 -125
Comment: In my opinion, the Phillies are the most overvalued future in the NL this year. This is not much of a surprise, as teams possessing elite lineups usually have high expectations early in the season. However, it is a lineup filled with players prone for a drop-off- players that played integral roles in their team’s success last year. Their pitching staff is well below average, and lacks depth. Their bullpen appears solid on paper, but has many concerns. These team went on a late season tear, and beat up on the NL East last year, to squeak by the 88 win clip. The improved East should take wins off their 42-30 division record, and a late season collapse from the Mets will more than likely not be repeated.

7.) Reds Under 76 -115
Comment:

Here is another team with the public perception of a potent lineup carrying high expectations early in the season. However, even with this team overachieving last season, it didn’t get terribly close to a 76 win mark. They did nothing in the off season to see improvement much improvement. Their lineup is overrated, and actually slightly below average. A drop-off out of Griffey, Gonzalez and Phillips combined with the absence of Hamilton leaves questions to be answered. Their bullpen is below average even with the addition of Cordero, while their pitching staff is the worst in a weak division. This team should remain in the low 70 win total mark this year.

American League
1.) A’s Over 74 -115

Comment: In my opinion, this team is a steal at this price, even if they do trade Blanton. With big names leaving the roster in the likes of Haren, Piazza and Swisher, and not being replaced by any noticeable names in the free agent market, the market is expecting a drop-off from their 76 win mark last year. However, a healthy Harden and Dushseshser shore up a very underrated pitching staff. The return of Street and Foulke, and expected improvement from Calero give the A’s a solid bullpen to compliment their pitching staff. Their lineup is not potent, but more effective than they appear on paper. I wouldn’t be surprised if this team finished above .500

2.) Twins Over 73.5 -115
Comment:
Here is another team in which the market over discounted the departures of big name players from their team. Even without Santana, the Twins possess a decent group of young pitchers that could surprise the division. Backed by the best bullpen in the AL and a lineup that has never been accustomed to carrying the team, and it is hard to imagine the Twins witnessing a drastic drop-off from their underachieving season last year. The Twins added some decent free agent signings that add some depth to a to a line that has been weak in the backend.

3.) Devil Rays Over 72 -115
Comment:
Although the Devil Rays may be the “sexy” pick early on, this team still may be underrated due to having two big name teams in their division. The Devil Rays problem has always possessed such an inferior bullpen, a deficiency that has been drastically shored up this year (although they still have a below average pen). The Kazmir/Shields combo is very solid, while Garza provides a lot of upside as well. Their lineup has always flown under the radar due to their pitching woes, and this strength should pay more dividends this year. According to my early season power ratings, there is from 3 to five teams worse than the Rays, yet they are priced as if there were only two.

4.) Red Sox Under 94-115
Comment:
I paid the price for constantly fading the Red Sox last year, but will have no problem doing it this year if the market presents that opportunity. It appears early on as if they will, as they are priced as if they are the best team in the league-something they no longer are this year. The high standard deviation in their pitching staff, and a bullpen that overachieved last year, should prevent their pitching from being as dominant as they were last year. Their aging lineup is still very solid, but simply overvalued. The Yankees are the best team in their division, while the Angels and Tigers are arguably better as well.

5.) White Sox Under 76 -115
Comment:
At first blush, it appeared the White Sox did enough shoring up in their bullpen and adding some hitters to fill holes that were detrimental to their success last year. However, their starting pitching staff is still too weak, and should offset improvements in other facets of this team. This team has stockpiled aging players past their prime in their lineup, bullpen and starting staff, and plays in a division with four teams better than they are. The team underachieved last year at 72. However, being one year older and still having holes, 76 should be hard fro them to bypass.

6.) Mariners Under 85.5 -115
Comment:
Last year, the Mariners were one of the teams I bet on the most, as they constantly traded below their intrinsic value until their prolonged winning streak got fully noticed in the market place. However, this team appears to be the most overvalued in this years future market. This team overachieved last year, and added the most hyped free agent in the marketplace in the off season. The Mariners have a top heavy rotation and a top heavy bullpen, which is usually the recipe to an overvaluation. They are no exception. Add an overrated lineup that should rank near the bottom of the league, and we start dealing with a very mediocre team.

pvcpipe

EOG Master
Re: 2008 MLB Futures Plays

Thanks for the futures looks, buffet. hope to see you posting regular baseball plays once the season starts.

munson15

I want winners...

Ditto what PVC said re: the regular season. Thanks, and GL with your futures, always an interesting read.

Baltimore under 65
Just a terrible team without Bedard, Tejada, and soon to be Roberts. Too many games against Bos, NY, and Tor should put them over 100 losses.

Houston over 74
They have a lot of big bats, and decent pitching. They also play in the worst division in baseball.

LA Dodgers under 87.5
They always seem to have high expectations which are rarely met. They have to contend with a lot of pitching in their division. Joe Torre can't just flip a switch, and make this team win 90 games.

Minnesota over 73.5
For the last ten years or so, they have been dealing with losing talent. There probably isn't a better team at replacing players with young talent. They have enough scrappy players on offense, and the best closer in baseball.

San Diego over 85
Loaded with pitching, and they might even be able to get something out of Prior. Tough division, but I think the pitching keeps them in the race.

St. Louis under 77
This is the easiest play on the board for me. No Carpenter or Mulder to open the season, and who knows what they get out of them when they return. Pooholes is starting to break down, and with Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, and Houston all improving this season, wins should be hard to come by for the Redbirds.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Baltimore under 65
Just a terrible team without Bedard, Tejada, and soon to be Roberts. Too many games against Bos, NY, and Tor should put them over 100 losses.

Houston over 74
They have a lot of big bats, and decent pitching. They also play in the worst division in baseball.

LA Dodgers under 87.5
They always seem to have high expectations which are rarely met. They have to contend with a lot of pitching in their division. Joe Torre can't just flip a switch, and make this team win 90 games.

Minnesota over 73.5
For the last ten years or so, they have been dealing with losing talent. There probably isn't a better team at replacing players with young talent. They have enough scrappy players on offense, and the best closer in baseball.

San Diego over 85
Loaded with pitching, and they might even be able to get something out of Prior. Tough division, but I think the pitching keeps them in the race.

St. Louis under 77
This is the easiest play on the board for me. No Carpenter or Mulder to open the season, and who knows what they get out of them when they return. Pooholes is starting to break down, and with Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, and Houston all improving this season, wins should be hard to come by for the Redbirds.

Baltimore: As far as I am concerned, they are the worst team in the AL, and arguably in the entire league. However, they are clearly being priced as such; trading at seven less wins that the second worst team in the AL. Only three teams in the last three years have posted less than 64 wins. In my opinion, they are fairly priced at 64. Their pitching staff and bullpen are big x-factors and question marks. I was bearish on my valuation on both, however, the youth and upside in the pitching staff, and versatility within their bullpen in the later innings can provide a decent amount of upside off my current expectations. Bedard’s absence is fully factored in, and Tejada is overrated. Probably the most intriguing Under call on a bad team (aside from the ones mentioned) would be the Royals.

Astros: Not a bad play. However, I tend to shy away from Overs on teams with top heavy rotations and bullpens, as key injuries are more poignant. Their lineup is much better than one commensurate to such a low total, but their pitching staff and bullpen are a concern. With a weak hitting division, they may get away with their deficiencies.

Dodgers: At first blush, and Under play in the NL West may be a good move, as this division is solid and very competitive. However, it appears that the DBacks may be the only overvalued team in the division (Giants can be another). I tend to shy away from betting Unders on teams with a solid bullpen and a low standard deviation within their pitching staff. I also shy away from Under plays in which a team has upper management willing to make material trades late in the season to improve their chances. I constitute that as hidden wins. In my opinion, the Dodgers are the third best team in the NL, and see nothing wrong with them being priced as such.

Cards:
I think the Under call does possess some value, but in my opinion, not enough to warrant a long term bet. I am not impressed with their offense whatsoever, and they have some injury concerns already. However, the rotation is not that good, but maybe a bit under respected, while their bullpen is solid. This team plays better than they are on paper, and play in a poor division. Public perception is that this team is down and out. I will look elsewhere for an Under play.

Best of luck with your plays.

BUFFET!!!!

Great to see you here at EOG. The run you had last year will forever be remembered. Here is to another one.

Matt

EOG Veteran

Thanks for the selections BG.

Good luck this season. Just curious, have you been in contact with Brewers7 lately?

cassiusclay

EOG Master

BG, i always enjoy reading your write ups, thx for the time and effort, it is appreciated.

munson15

I want winners...

Comment:
Although the Devil Rays may be the “sexy” pick early on, this team still may be underrated due to having two big name teams in their division. The Devil Rays problem has always possessed such an inferior bullpen, a deficiency that has been drastically shored up this year (although they still have a below average pen). The Kazmir/Shields combo is very solid, while Garza provides a lot of upside as well. Their lineup has always flown under the radar due to their pitching woes, and this strength should pay more dividends this year. According to my early season power ratings, there is from 3 to five teams worse than the Rays, yet they are priced as if there were only two.

BG, do you still like the TB over in light of the injury to Kazmir? He is the key to their staff, IMO.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Comment: Although the Devil Rays may be the “sexy” pick early on, this team still may be underrated due to having two big name teams in their division. The Devil Rays problem has always possessed such an inferior bullpen, a deficiency that has been drastically shored up this year (although they still have a below average pen). The Kazmir/Shields combo is very solid, while Garza provides a lot of upside as well. Their lineup has always flown under the radar due to their pitching woes, and this strength should pay more dividends this year. According to my early season power ratings, there is from 3 to five teams worse than the Rays, yet they are priced as if there were only two.

BG, do you still like the TB over in light of the injury to Kazmir? He is the key to their staff, IMO.

As of now, this injury appears to be more noise than anything. If the same injury occurred in May, we wouldn’t hear or think much of it. The Rays have been handling him with care throughout his career, and I expect them to play it extra safe with this injury as well. If he misses only a couple of starts, I don’t see it as a big deal. Although Shields might not put up the same numbers as Kazmir, his value to the team is almost commensurate with Kazmir’s, as he gives them the better chance of avoiding the underbelly of their pen.

The Rays future is one of the few of the futures I have locked in already, as I expected their price to continue to go up (this year’s sexy pick to overachieve). I still see some value at current asking price, but if the line continues to jump, I have no problem “arbing” out my position.

munson15

I want winners...

As of now, this injury appears to be more noise than anything. If the same injury occurred in May, we wouldn’t hear or think much of it. The Rays have been handling him with care throughout his career, and I expect them to play it extra safe with this injury as well. If he misses only a couple of starts, I don’t see it as a big deal. Although Shields might not put up the same numbers as Kazmir, his value to the team is almost commensurate with Kazmir’s, as he gives them the better chance of avoiding the underbelly of their pen.

The Rays future is one of the few of the futures I have locked in already, as I expected their price to continue to go up (this year’s sexy pick to overachieve). I still see some value at current asking price, but if the line continues to jump, I have no problem “arbing” out my position.
Thanks, BG, I never thought you to be a player that was into arbing. Would you arb a little to protect the downside only, or just balance the books and do some profit taking?

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks, BG, I never thought you to be a player that was into arbing. Would you arb a little to protect the downside only, or just balance the books and do some profit taking?

The hedged position would be a scalp rather than a middle. Due to the bullish nature of my expected win forecast on the Rays, the underlying mathematics shows that entering a middle position at current market price would develop a negative EV expected return on the middle ( the negative expected profit on the Under > Expected profit on the Over).

I also want to make it clear that the practicing of scalps or middles on futures is not something I condone in most cases. Firstly, an overlooked variable when dealing with futures is the cost of capital for EV cappers, especially ones not utilizing credit to enter their positions (even with those on credit, a form of cost of capital should imposed). Secondly,the current climate of the offshore industry (if that is where you future best are made) imposes counter party risk quite high for a small arb.

That said, unless market continues to drive up the Over price, I will remain content with my Over position as a stand alone.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

I'm here local, listen to all the garb on the Rays......minor deal with him. From what I hear he could throw this weekend is he wanted to. Get some good info on local sports radio as well, interviews, etc. I would not be to worried about him from what I hear.

my 2 cents

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

I also agree with Buff, Shields is the key to that staff. Kaz doesn't eat innings and almost always hits his pitch count by 5ish, and works the pen to much. Until he shows more discipline and stops trying to be mr. perfect he won't be the main cog IMO. Nice pitcher for sure, but I will take Shields.

munson15

I want winners...

The hedged position would be a scalp rather than a middle. Due to the bullish nature of my expected win forecast on the Rays, the underlying mathematics shows that entering a middle position at current market price would develop a negative EV expected return on the middle ( the negative expected profit on the Under > Expected profit on the Over).

I also want to make it clear that the practicing of scalps or middles on futures is not something I condone in most cases. Firstly, an overlooked variable when dealing with futures is the cost of capital for EV cappers, especially ones not utilizing credit to enter their positions (even with those on credit, a form of cost of capital should imposed). Secondly,the current climate of the offshore industry (if that is where you future best are made) imposes counter party risk quite high for a small arb.

That said, unless market continues to drive up the Over price, I will remain content with my Over position as a stand alone.
Thanks for the explanation, I must admit it's much tougher to make money scalping futures in the current climate for offshore gambling.

Mr Bond

EOG Member

Thanks BuffettGambler,

Do you ever bet on the pre-season or do you wait for the main season?

I share your views or the downside of tying capital up over a season. With that in mind I am thinking of some small value bets on outsiders. For example, a 1/4 pt on the Twins at +2300.

For those teams you are betting the over on, do you see any value on the outright prices to win their respective leagues.

I know you wrote about a year ago that you favour level stakes which is a sensible strategy around the -110 line. I do feel it's good practice to reduce stakes at high odds. There is value in backing a 100/1 chance that should be 50/1 but I would have significantly less on it than a normal -110, -105 bet for example.

Interested in your views.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

personally if you have enough in reserve I think baseball futures are a great play. Obviously if you have 5K to bet with you don't want to tie up a grand for a season.

My two cents

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks BuffettGambler,

Do you ever bet on the pre-season or do you wait for the main season?

I share your views or the downside of tying capital up over a season. With that in mind I am thinking of some small value bets on outsiders. For example, a 1/4 pt on the Twins at +2300.

For those teams you are betting the over on, do you see any value on the outright prices to win their respective leagues.

I know you wrote about a year ago that you favour level stakes which is a sensible strategy around the -110 line. I do feel it's good practice to reduce stakes at high odds. There is value in backing a 100/1 chance that should be 50/1 but I would have significantly less on it than a normal -110, -105 bet for example.

Interested in your views.

I think it is a waste of time trying to handicap preseason baseball, as there exists so many unforeseeable variables hard to quantify. Some people swear by it- but the majority of the people betting are people in need for “action”. Seeking value in a sporting event that is extremely hard to quantify with accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

I see some small value in each one of the teams that I have Over positions on to win the division. However, the high expected variance due to the nature of the bets will make me shy away from all of them except maybe the Braves and/or A’s.

What I said a year ago may have been a typo, or I was referring to proper benchmarking procedures, but I bet to win, implying underdogs have lower nominal risk at stake.

If I misunderstood your last paragraph, and you are asking whether I prefer betting on favorites or underdogs- then my answer is, given the same expected ROI, I prefer the favorite, as it reduces variance that optimizes bankroll growth.

Best of luck this season.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

personally if you have enough in reserve I think baseball futures are a great play. Obviously if you have 5K to bet with you don't want to tie up a grand for a season.

My two cents

I see what you are saying; however, in theory, if one employs some type of percentage staking system (i.e. Kelly), it doesn’t matter if you have $5 or 5 million in your accounts, some sort of cost of capital should be recognized for EV bettors. The reason is that such tied up funds shouldn’t be recognized as part of your bankroll, as such funds can not be used during the course of the season. Therefore, each bet you make going forward will recognize the depletion of the bankroll, and adjust with lower nominal bets compared to if the futures weren’t made.
(Caveat: Kelly in its truest sense would not be affected by this notion, as its interpretation of “bankroll” is not restricted to available funds willing to be lost in sports betting.)

Good hearing from you IPP, and best of luck to you (and your Rays) this season.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

Thanks Buff. I do recognize the point and well taken. I think for contrary positions, and relative risk reward it won't apply to many folks here. In simpler terms on this end it can be summed up with whether or not one wants to tie up money at current value, against what they may make if they invested that wager into several plays throughout the course of the year thus possible having a higher ROI come seasons end. I guess it is all relative to strategy. I may play 4 season totals tops myself, two listed here. I do it more for personal satsfaction and less for profit as I do not up my units like say Russ does. I know some will invest much more on a season total than a normal wager as it encompasses such a longer period of time, which goes back to ROI reasons IMO. I understand motive and application. I personally do it for fun over profit, and in the grand scheme of things it works out to be a milli unit for me.

Rays come in third this year in the division and old man savior of the pen doesn't make it past May. We need more consistent efforts from the pen and a little flexibility with Joe letting them stretch a few pitch counts. Not worried about the offense as usual. My guess is they win in the neighborhood of 78 games or so (they will feast out of league and interleague). 72 was nice if anyone got it earlier. Last season's over, which I lost, was an easy cash if not for the stretch they had the last 15-17 games going into the all star break. They play normal ball they cover no problem.

I'll prob email you prior to bases to getg some good karma.

Be looking for you in a few weeks Buff....take care

N?pst

EOG Member

Hi Buffett

Once more, i want to thank you for those great writeups. Gettin all hyped for the upcoming baseball season, and looking forward to your insights during.

It did take me some time to cope with the horrible Mets meltdown during the last weeks of the 2007 regular season.

Once again, as always - thanks!

Regards
N?pst

munson15

I want winners...

I see what you are saying; however, in theory, if one employs some type of percentage staking system (i.e. Kelly), it doesn?t matter if you have $5 or 5 million in your accounts, some sort of cost of capital should be recognized for EV bettors. The reason is that such tied up funds shouldn?t be recognized as part of your bankroll, as such funds can not be used during the course of the season. Therefore, each bet you make going forward will recognize the depletion of the bankroll, and adjust with lower nominal bets compared to if the futures weren?t made.
(Caveat: Kelly in its truest sense would not be affected by this notion, as its interpretation of ?bankroll? is not restricted to available funds willing to be lost in sports betting.)

Good hearing from you IPP, and best of luck to you (and your Rays) this season.
If it's OK to ask, do you use the Kelly criterion in your money management, BG?

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Hi Buffett

Once more, i want to thank you for those great writeups. Gettin all hyped for the upcoming baseball season, and looking forward to your insights during.

It did take me some time to cope with the horrible Mets meltdown during the last weeks of the 2007 regular season.

Once again, as always - thanks!

Regards
N?pst

Nice hearing from you Nupst. Hope you have a fun and prosperous baseball season. Your Mets have as good of a chance as any in the league to get to the World Series.
Take care.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

If it's OK to ask, do you use the Kelly criterion in your money management, BG?

Munson,
As strange as this answer sounds to your question do I employ Kelly- my answer is yes and no. If you care for a further explanation, I will do it via email.

As far as recommending Kelly on a gambling forum, I would say I wouldn’t recommend it. As harsh as the reason may sound, it’s not due the underlying mathematics Kelly represents, rather the constraints of the handicappers that would try to employ it. I don’t feel comfortable enough telling someone over a forum whom in which I don’t know their true ability to accurately quantify edges over a series of bets to employ the Kelly Criterion. It is my estimation, that the majority of forum readers can not quantify an edge accurately enough to where Kelly would be more beneficial than detrimental to ones bankroll growth. It is also to my estimation that handicappers have the propensity to overestimate perceived edges rather than underestimate them- a constraint extremely detrimental under a Kelly Criterion money management system.

Having said that, I would not tell someone whom I feel can accurately quantify win probabilities over a long series of bets and possesses a logarithmic utility to disregard Kelly.

munson15

I want winners...

That's an interesting answer, BG. I have researched Kelly, and the one roadblock I could never get past was the necessity to pre-determine my winning %. Unless I could confidently put my finger on this number, I couldn't be sure if I would do myself any good. I have tried modified Kelly betting, but only in situations where I might be following a model that carries an historic edge.
I've tried to email you previously, and have not gotten through, would love to expand on this topic if you could authorize a mod to give me your address. Thanks.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

Braves un 86 Without Andruw Jones patroling centerfield, the Braves are going to be hurting. Look for the cost cutting Braves to cut loose some players at the trade deadline if they are not in the race. Texeria maybe? The Braves had a better than expected season last year. Now they are projected to do better! I don't see it. Under for the max.

munson15

I want winners...

Their pitching is solid, and should make them competitive all year.

munson15

I want winners...

BG, sorry to trouble you, but the email that Dirty has on file did not forward to you, and I was wondering if you had changed emails within the last year or so. I recall having the same problem last season when I tried to use this address. If you could forward a current email address to the EOG staff, I would be very grateful. Thanks again.

akillies

EOG Veteran

buffet love reading your stuff, any changes in your analysis posted back in Feb. above?

krh7

EOG Member

bg, any chance you'll be providing analysis on games again this year?

i know you stopped last year when somebody was ripping you off, but i remember riding some good runs and would love to follow along again this year.