"But I Was On 'The Right Side'"

As I travel along the Information Superhighway, I'm never disappointed at the wisdom I encounter.

One of my favorite thread topics is "The Right Side." Is there any sports gambling concept that is treated with more reverence? I don't think so.

I read this Joan of Arc proclamation from a contributor to another site the other day...

To paraphrase..."I would rather lose thirty times in a row on the right side, than win once on the wrong side!"

Oh shut up. No you wouldn't.

In the insulated demi-monde of sports gambling is there a greater rationalization/consolation for losing than "but I was on the right side!" I don't think so.

Can you imagine trying to pull this crap in the real world?.....

"Dear, I need the $500 to pay the child care agency."

"Uh, honey, I lost it last night."

"You what?"

"I played swarmyj39's pick on the Gila Monsters last night. He's real good. He went 2-1 the night before. But the Gila Monsters didn't cover."

"You lost our child care money gambling?"

"Yes, I lost. But I was on the right side!"

"Oh, thank God. I'll just tell the agency that we can't pay them because you lost our money gambling, but you were on the right side. I'm sure they will understand.

Re: "But I Was On 'The Right Side'"

Good post. This irks me as well.

I'd rather be lucky than good every day of the week.

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

Haha

This just comes in my little philosophy of people wanting to try to convince a bunch of strangers they are "Sharps". I get sick of hearing the sharp vs. square crap.

I rather get the shitty number everytime and win than get the good number and lose. If that makes me a square, then, I'll take it.

Here is the thing in this business, if you win, "it is just a matter of time until you lose" and if you lose, "I told you, people don't win at this"

Well, there are people very successful at sports gambling. I see them making bets that they would never admit to publicly.

iLoViK

EOG Addicted

Alright how about in poker, you got aces and a guy goes all in preflop with like j 2 and hits 2 pair... Why don't you go crazy? Because you want him makings such stupid decisions, you will win about 8 out of 10 times because you were on the right side ;)

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

Well, there are people very successful at sports gambling. I see them making bets that they would never admit to publicly.

I hear that. I often wonder about that you read all of the statistics saying that only a very very small percentage of people win in sports betting yet you go around alot of these forums and people will be having winning records; maybe slightly winning while some will be up big and of course, people that don't openly post picks often so how they won; some probably don't but I think some do. actually, some that don't post picks dpo very well.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

The only right side is the one that pays at the window. I had a double digit dog in NCAA this season, maybe +9 1/2. They were winning outright the entire game until the favorite hit a late 3 to tie it and send it to OT, then they tied it again, sending it to a 2nd OT. There my dog forgot how to score, ended up losing by 12 fouling and missing at the end. Obviously my pick was not the right side, because when it got graded it lost.

Best Wishes...OF :doh1

pvcpipe

EOG Master

The only right side is the one that pays at the window. I had a double digit dog in NCAA this season, maybe +9 1/2. They were winning outright the entire game until the favorite hit a late 3 to tie it and send it to OT, then they tied it again, sending it to a 2nd OT. There my dog forgot how to score, ended up losing by 12 fouling and missing at the end. Obviously my pick was not the right side, because when it got graded it lost.

Best Wishes...OF :doh1

i think it was wake forest/ florida state. you remember beats like that.

The true way to determine if you have the "right side" is to compare the line you bet to the closing line. If you regulary beat the closing line by a point or more then you will be a consistant winner. If you are taking the worst of it regularly , then so will your bankroll.

This is how the REAL winners win.

The true way to determine if you have the "right side" is to compare the line you bet to the closing line. If you regulary beat the closing line by a point or more then you will be a consistant winner. If you are taking the worst of it regularly , then so will your bankroll.

This is how the REAL winners win.

Maybe so, but you'll have to do the line checking for me. I've never in over 40 years of gambling ever bothered to check the closing line vs. my bet.

I'll be placing daily MLB picks on the baseball forum starting the second week of the upcoming season, so somebody else kindly keep track so I'll know whether I'm a REAL winner... or not.