Minimum starting bankroll?

the_riot

EOG Member
Anyone care to share their thoughts on what would be an acceptable starting bankroll to bet a baseball season for a liveable profit? I definitely would not work full time, and would rather not have a day job at all in order to get the best results, so living expenses would have to be figured in as well, and unless congress does something in the next year, it would have to be Vegas, as I don't want to deal with reporting taxes on such an illicit activity as internet gambling.

I want to start this experiment with baseball, as I feel that would be my meat and potatoes, with more selective betting during the football and basketball seasons. I am also going to test my poker skills in the next few months as I continue to save money slaving away at my blue collar job.

I know there may be many variables to this equation than I have thought of so far, but any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated
Re: Minimum starting bankroll?

Hi Riot,

First let me say I have had a few and my wife is in bed sick or I would not be here (long story).

Blue Collar stands out first....unless you have a stash somewhere or an inheritance....pack it in.

Ok, lets assume you do and you are for real. Advice number one, play poker if you have skills.....no brainer in 2008.

Lets assume you can't spell poker.

First question is how much do you need to make a living?

Second question is if you are in Vegas or moving there, how much time can you devote to setting up accounts around town?

Third you have to have off (sure) accounts in my opinion and several on credit.

ok I cant count past 3 so forget the numbers.

Lets say you have average bills. Grand a month rent (we wont go into mortage/PMI/Insurance/ for average Joe. (wish mine was a dime)

Toss in all that other crap....phone (to make all those calls to the shops), electric, car, hookers, dorito's, condoms (or that herpe medicine).

You know the average bills for us normal folk.

Unless you are living in a bunker, with no bills don't even attempt this sporting thing for a living unlesss all of these rules apply,

1) you can bet a bare minimum 1000 per game
2) average 1.5 net units a week
3) live at home
4.) rub off alot cause hookers are expensive
5.) forget the outs you need....just win 1.5 per units a week
6.) Know Jeff Jones (imperative)

now the catch........I could seriously go into how hard it is, cause believe t or not I supplement my income betting sports. I know Fezz says you cant; win, but if you dont tell him....it can be done. I mean for us smucks who are not pros can approach 80K plus no problem.....which is razor blades to Fezz but not bad for trailer trash.

Now not me, I am much better than that (and do well mind you). Trust me I once offered anyone here a challenge to pick games against me, loser leaves the forum for I think 6 months.......I got all of ZERO replies. (full disclosure I had to back out of a friendly bet with my buddy Travis for a dime cause my wife is watching me like I am Spitzer lately)....hence 12:30

Ok besides me being really good and really smooth at what I do......I mean reality....no 20 unit plays...one unit at a time.....call me.

Hold on...............Usher is on the Ipod.....I gotta a real pretty thing waiting for me......

Ok, where was I.

Unless your rich, or have my skills.............keep it recreationally.

If you have some coin and some time.....I say give it a shot.....fuck it.

I wish you luck............I'd continue but Usher told me he wants to do something freaky to me.

he's a perv

back in football or when the wife goes to bed early again.......not likely.

IPP

the_riot

EOG Member

Hi Riot,

First let me say I have had a few and my wife is in bed sick or I would not be here (long story).

Blue Collar stands out first....unless you have a stash somewhere or an inheritance....pack it in.

Ok, lets assume you do and you are for real. Advice number one, play poker if you have skills.....no brainer in 2008.

Lets assume you can't spell poker.

First question is how much do you need to make a living?

Second question is if you are in Vegas or moving there, how much time can you devote to setting up accounts around town?

Third you have to have off (sure) accounts in my opinion and several on credit.

ok I cant count past 3 so forget the numbers.

Lets say you have average bills. Grand a month rent (we wont go into mortage/PMI/Insurance/ for average Joe. (wish mine was a dime)

Toss in all that other crap....phone (to make all those calls to the shops), electric, car, hookers, dorito's, condoms (or that herpe medicine).

You know the average bills for us normal folk.

Unless you are living in a bunker, with no bills don't even attempt this sporting thing for a living unlesss all of these rules apply,

1) you can bet a bare minimum 1000 per game
2) average 1.5 net units a week
3) live at home
4.) rub off alot cause hookers are expensive
5.) forget the outs you need....just win 1.5 per units a week
6.) Know Jeff Jones (imperative)

now the catch........I could seriously go into how hard it is, cause believe t or not I supplement my income betting sports. I know Fezz says you cant; win, but if you dont tell him....it can be done. I mean for us smucks who are not pros can approach 80K plus no problem.....which is razor blades to Fezz but not bad for trailer trash.

Now not me, I am much better than that (and do well mind you). Trust me I once offered anyone here a challenge to pick games against me, loser leaves the forum for I think 6 months.......I got all of ZERO replies. (full disclosure I had to back out of a friendly bet with my buddy Travis for a dime cause my wife is watching me like I am Spitzer lately)....hence 12:30

Ok besides me being really good and really smooth at what I do......I mean reality....no 20 unit plays...one unit at a time.....call me.

Hold on...............Usher is on the Ipod.....I gotta a real pretty thing waiting for me......

Ok, where was I.

Unless your rich, or have my skills.............keep it recreationally.

If you have some coin and some time.....I say give it a shot.....fuck it.

I wish you luck............I'd continue but Usher told me he wants to do something freaky to me.

he's a perv

back in football or when the wife goes to bed early again.......not likely.

IPP

I guess I'll have to crunch some numbers to figure out my original question, too many variables for a one size fits all answer. I thought of a better question though.

How do the various Vegas books treat winners? Will they blacklist a guy who is taking a steady stream of cash out of their coffers? As long is everything is fair and square I should do quite well, but I don't want to get out there and be denied service at some point.

welcome to EOG Riot

Depends a lot on how much you plan on betting per game, how many you play a day, week, month

Some are more conservative than this:

BUT, rule of thumb is to never risk over 3% your bankroll on a single play for a TOP PLAY, never more than 1 % your bankroll on a regular play

so, if you are going to wager $500 on average, you should have a bankroll of at least $50,000 and your top play should never be more tha $1500 on a single game

the_riot

EOG Member

welcome to EOG Riot

Depends a lot on how much you plan on betting per game, how many you play a day, week, month

Some are more conservative than this:

BUT, rule of thumb is to never risk over 3% your bankroll on a single play for a TOP PLAY, never more than 1 % your bankroll on a regular play

so, if you are going to wager $500 on average, you should have a bankroll of at least $50,000 and your top play should never be more tha $1500 on a single game

Thanks for the response. I had heard 5%, but I guess that would leave little margin of error for a bad streak. Although my experience is limited and mostly practice, I don't believe in top plays and regular plays as I go by the theory that no matter how sure you are of a game in any sport, anything can happen.

If I settled at 2% for all plays, I could be laying down $400 a contest by next baseball season, if I save real hard. Do you have any thoughts on my second question on how the books treat winners ego?

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

400 per play they won't even notice you in the building so no worries........my best advice is if you are saving real hard to get to 400 a pop.........do not quit your day job. I mean that with all due respect. Have fun and forget the full time thing.

Best of luck

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

Something that would probably help you helped me alot. It is "you can bet on it" by larry Grossman. To tell you the truth, I haven't read half the book but there is a chart in there that tells you how much you will be making per 100 bets (a months worth on average) and at what percentage so you can figure it up that way. it goes off of -110 juice.

So say you needed to make $3,040 a month, you would need to bet $440 a game or unit and hit 56% over the course of 100 bets.

God, it seems so easy but so many fail.

Best thing to me for people that do what you wanna do which is all of our goal anyway is too be debt free on something like this. Because realistically, if you need 3K to live off of and you go by my above example, what happens on month where you hit 51%? Ya know, so you almost have to figure you need to make 3K a month if it takes you $1,800 to live or whatever. I dunno. I'm beat and tired. Need a shower

Ace

EOG Veteran

i would say that if you get as big as lem banker --- then you've made it --- he dosen't get blackballed

SSI

EOG Dedicated

Listen...... if you were good...... minimum $25,000 betting from (1-3%) per play... pressing on your better plays or hot streaks....... betting into a (-1.10) your still going to need to hit (56%) with an average bet of (2%) ($500) and clear about (8 units) per month to be able to skimp by.....