NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider 4 New Articles Added 11/6/06

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Top 5's by position

Top 5's by position

QB...
1. P Manning (obvious)
2. D Bledsoe (I expect numbers like Donovan and TO posted two years ago...oh and don't forget about Jason Witten and Terry Glenn and Julius Jones)
3. E Manning (will be even better than he was last year with Burress and Shockey still around)
4. C Palmer (apparently he's ok according to the artical Hache posted...but I'm still a skeptic...I would need 100% confirmation before actually taking him...but assuming he's fine, he's my No. 4)
5. M Hasselback (I would put Brady here but I have a feeling Corey Dillon is in for another injury bound season...so Hasselback gets it)

RB...
1. LJ
2. SA
3. Clinton Portis
4. LT
5. Tiki Barber

WR...
1. TO (I really don't get how people disagree)
2. Steve Smith (aweomse)
3. Torry Holt (is great year in and year out)
4. Chad Johnson (only if palmers healthy)
5. Marvin Harrison (I think with all the scoring that they will be doing...he could be looking at maybe a touchdown a game)

TE...
1. J Shockey (everyone's surprised right?...i just don't like rivers)
2. A Gates (^)
3. J Witten
4. T Gonzalez
5. C Cooley

K...
1. Neil Rackers
2. A Viniateri
3. M Gramatica
4. D Akers
5. S Graham

I don't really know much about defences this year...are the bears, colts, broncos, redskins, and steelers still good?

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Top 5's by position

Top 5's by position

QB...
1. P Manning (obvious)
2. D Bledsoe (I expect numbers like Donovan and TO posted two years ago...oh and don't forget about Jason Witten and Terry Glenn and Julius Jones)
3. E Manning (will be even better than he was last year with Burress and Shockey still around)
4. C Palmer (apparently he's ok according to the artical Hache posted...but I'm still a skeptic...I would need 100% confirmation before actually taking him...but assuming he's fine, he's my No. 4)
5. M Hasselback (I would put Brady here but I have a feeling Corey Dillon is in for another injury bound season...so Hasselback gets it)

RB...
1. LJ
2. SA
3. Clinton Portis
4. LT
5. Tiki Barber

WR...
1. TO (I really don't get how people disagree)
2. Steve Smith (aweomse)
3. Torry Holt (is great year in and year out)
4. Chad Johnson (only if palmers healthy)
5. Marvin Harrison (I think with all the scoring that they will be doing...he could be looking at maybe a touchdown a game)

TE...
1. J Shockey (everyone's surprised right?...i just don't like rivers)
2. A Gates (^)
3. J Witten
4. T Gonzalez
5. C Cooley

K...
1. Neil Rackers
2. A Viniateri
3. M Gramatica
4. D Akers
5. S Graham

I don't really know much about defences this year...are the bears, colts, broncos, redskins, and steelers still good?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
EagleFan5 said:
Really? That's interesting...I know that he was good last year but enough to take over Johnson's spot?

Oh and three other things...

1. Do you think that Reggie Bush is really a top 20 pick? Defences will be focusing on him and also won't he be sharing time with Deuce?

2. I think that Chad Johnson's stats will be no where near last years as long as Palmer is out...but I'm not really updated about that injury...how long is Palmer out for?

3. I think Ronnie Brown is listed number 11 on that list you posted...I think that everyone is getting too excited about his potential and forgetting the fact that he hasn't carried a load in the NFL for 16 games in his life....I think he could suffer because of that and be a very risky top 15 pick...what do you think?

oh and if any of you are thinking that you could make the same argument about Larry Johnson, I think your wrong because he carried the load for nine games and scored 16 touchdowns and rushed for 1351 yards...two very different stories

My answers/opinions to your questions.......

1. I have seen Reggie Bush go around the time you said above in numerous drafts already. No way I touch him, as you said, not only will McAllister be starting, but they also have Michael Bennett & Aaron Stecker!

2. I am not touching ANY Cincinnati player, simple as that. Too many questions marks with Palmer in my opinion.

3. Regarding Ronnie Brown, I have to disagree here. I believe he will have a huge year. Don't forget this team won their LAST 6 GAMES last year. I think Culpepper, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael & co. will move the ball consistently, and Ronnie Brown is the man now getting all of the carries......

Hache Man

EagleFan5 said:
Really? That's interesting...I know that he was good last year but enough to take over Johnson's spot?

Oh and three other things...

1. Do you think that Reggie Bush is really a top 20 pick? Defences will be focusing on him and also won't he be sharing time with Deuce?

2. I think that Chad Johnson's stats will be no where near last years as long as Palmer is out...but I'm not really updated about that injury...how long is Palmer out for?

3. I think Ronnie Brown is listed number 11 on that list you posted...I think that everyone is getting too excited about his potential and forgetting the fact that he hasn't carried a load in the NFL for 16 games in his life....I think he could suffer because of that and be a very risky top 15 pick...what do you think?

oh and if any of you are thinking that you could make the same argument about Larry Johnson, I think your wrong because he carried the load for nine games and scored 16 touchdowns and rushed for 1351 yards...two very different stories

My answers/opinions to your questions.......

1. I have seen Reggie Bush go around the time you said above in numerous drafts already. No way I touch him, as you said, not only will McAllister be starting, but they also have Michael Bennett & Aaron Stecker!

2. I am not touching ANY Cincinnati player, simple as that. Too many questions marks with Palmer in my opinion.

3. Regarding Ronnie Brown, I have to disagree here. I believe he will have a huge year. Don't forget this team won their LAST 6 GAMES last year. I think Culpepper, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael & co. will move the ball consistently, and Ronnie Brown is the man now getting all of the carries......

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
One thing I don't understand is why is Larry Fitzgerald rated so much higher than Boldin....I guess it could be that he's such a threat in the end zone..but I think Boldins just as dangerous.. oh and i don't think i'll even touch one of them in my draft because I have no trust in Warner or Leinert...what about you?

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
One thing I don't understand is why is Larry Fitzgerald rated so much higher than Boldin....I guess it could be that he's such a threat in the end zone..but I think Boldins just as dangerous.. oh and i don't think i'll even touch one of them in my draft because I have no trust in Warner or Leinert...what about you?

Hache Man

EagleFan5 said:

I probbaly wouldnt grab one very early either, but if I had a choice it would be Boldin.

Receivers should be deep again this year.

I think a couple of steals that will still be available later on is Nate Burleson, who will be starting in Seattle offosite Darrll Jackson, and Eric Moulds who is now in Houston and should be starting the other side of Andre Johnson. Moulds still had 80+ receptions last year with a pathetic JP Losman throwing to him much of the year, and had some big games when Kelly Holcomb was at QB. Derrick Mason is another productive WR that continues to get overlooked despite putting up terrific numbers, and that even with Kyle Boller throwing to him last year. He'll be reunited with Steve McNair this year, and Mason's last 2 years in Tennessee he had 90+ receptions in each of the years.

Hache Man

EagleFan5 said:

I probbaly wouldnt grab one very early either, but if I had a choice it would be Boldin.

I think a couple of steals that will still be available later on is Nate Burleson, who will be starting in Seattle offosite Darrll Jackson, and Eric Moulds who is now in Houston and should be starting the other side of Andre Johnson. Moulds still had 80+ receptions last year with a pathetic JP Losman throwing to him much of the year, and had some big games when Kelly Holcomb was at QB. Derrick Mason is another productive WR that continues to get overlooked despite putting up terrific numbers, and that even with Kyle Boller throwing to him last year. He'll be reunited with Steve McNair this year, and Mason's last 2 years in Tennessee he had 90+ receptions in each of the years.

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Hache Man said:

..great stuff..Nate Burleson could be a very late steal indeed...but i think Darrell Jackson could be a steal himself..i think people might have forgotten how good he was two years ago because of last years injuries...also did the texans do anything major to help their O line? if they did than they could be looking at 7-8 wins..what do you think?

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Hache Man said:

..great stuff..Nate Burleson could be a very late steal indeed...but i think Darrell Jackson could be a steal himself..i think people might have forgotten how good he was two years ago because of last years injuries...also did the texans do anything major to help their O line? if they did than they could be looking at 7-8 wins..what do you think?

Hache Man

I THINK Seattle tried getting offensive line help Eaglefan, but as you know we never know how that will turn out. I agree about Darrell Jackson, I picked him up 1 month before he came back from injury last year, knowing he would help me towards the end of the year.

You're going to be around eog for football season aren't you Eaglefan?:+thumbs-2

Hache Man

I THINK Seattle tried getting offensive line help Eaglefan, but as you know we never know how that will turn out. I agree about Darrell Jackson, I picked him up 1 month before he came back from injury last year, knowing he would help me towards the end of the year.

You're going to be around eog for football season aren't you Eaglefan?:+thumbs-2

Hache Man

Who's No. 1?

posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Fantasy NFL, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander

Welcome to July 19. Yep, not a minute too soon to be blogging about fantasy football again!
Really, there is no offseason at all, as we've been writing about fantasy football since the previous regular season ended. We had rankings, cheat sheets, columns, chats -- in early January. Now you get blogs. (Those who are worried about the loss of fantasy baseball blogs need not worry, I won't cut back on those yet.)
So for this week, let's start out with the most pressing question for fantasy footballers in 2006. There are many, but the big one has to be, who goes first? When you're drafting your teams on ESPN.com you'll see Larry Johnson is No. 1. Same in plenty of the preview magazines. You know what?
I'm going with Shaun Alexander.
It's a matter of opinion and taste, really, and certainly one cannot be faulted -- or go wrong -- with either choice. Sure, Johnson was a fantasy monster last season, after being a relative afterthought on draft day. (You remember that Priest Holmes guy, the one who was drafted in the top five, don'tcha?) Johnson didn't do a whole lot the first eight weeks of the season, as he was ranked No. 24 among running backs. He had his moments, his talent was tantalizing, and fantasy owners knew that if he got his chance, he'd be terrific. Then Holmes went down, and Johnson dominated. That quickly the fantasy season was never the same. You faced the team with Johnson, you were in trouble.
From Week 9 to the end of the season, Johnson accumulated 254 ESPN performance points. For comparison sake, Alexander had 204 in that span, and only five other players even managed half of Johnson's fantasy production those final nine weeks. These guys were clearly the best, and Johnson was even better than Alexander, who ended the season as the top guy. Consider Johnson was marginal from Weeks 2 through 8 and still he caught LaDainian Tomlinson for second overall in fantasy, regardless of position.
I know all this, and still I want Alexander if I get that coveted first pick. I'm not particularly worried about Johnson, who has a new coach, the threat of Holmes returning, whatever excuse you want to come up with. I'm taking him second, ahead of Tomlinson.
But Alexander doesn't concern me either, and while I doubt he puts up the same stats again, I also don't buy into this contract season theory that supposedly fueled his record-breaking 28 touchdowns. He's a great player. He's been a great player for years, consistent and productive no matter the situation. The Seahawks haven't gotten worse. Alexander isn't done yet. The easy way out is to call Alexander and Johnson 1 and 1a. I'm taking a minor stand and saying if I get a first pick, it's going to be Alexander.
Yes, I'm the fellow who generally takes the sure thing over the potential upside, not forgetting about how great it would be to cash in on the next big thing, but seldom overlooking what we do know. We know what Alexander has done, and pretty much what he's capable of doing for a few more years. So what if he's older? So what if Johnson has more upside? Alexander's safe. I've been fortunate to receive the No. 2 pick in a few drafts I've already done, experts leagues, the ones you see on other web sites and magazines, and Johnson's gone first, I've gleefully grabbed Alexander after. Tomlinson always goes third.
We'll check back in a few weeks, now that drafts have begun on our site, and see who you are taking first, but I'm thinking Johnson will be the pick. Again, it makes perfect sense. He's a yardage and scoring machine, and Alexander probably scores 10 fewer times than in 2005. Should make for a good blog. Share your thoughts, I'll run some feedback on this issue soon.
While the debate will continue on who goes first, there is one thing we can all agree on: You don't want to pick fourth! More on that in future blogs, as well as my thoughts on all positions, strategies, trends, injuries, you name it.
Talked about wide receivers on The Hot List on ESPNEWS Tuesday, and when I sat down in the chair, host Steve Bunin asked me why Marvin Harrison wasn't in the discussion. We were, after all, discussing who the top receivers were, and no Colts made the list. Harrison's certainly on my list, but he's not No. 1.
My choice is Steve Smith of the Panthers, which certainly isn't going out on any limb, but why should I? I think statistically he is numero uno, so why tell people Lee Evans is going to break out and be the best. (Of course that could happen, but I doubt it.) Smith was the best receiver last season, and the No. 9 player in fantasy, and I think he can do it again. Doesn't matter when he's double teamed and everyone knows Jake Delhomme is looking his way. He still had 103 receptions and 13 total touchdowns. The addition of Keyshawn Johnson shouldn't affect that too much, in fact, it might make things easier for him.
At the same time, while I see the point on Johnson over Alexander, Carolina's Smith could be as low as four or five on your list of receivers, and I don't see that as a problem either. Rotowire.com's Jeff Erickson, my partner on the ESPNEWS segment Tuesday, went with Torry Holt of the Rams. Sounds fair to me. Kevin Rounce, partner in crime on the Fantasy Focus podcast from Tuesday, thinks Terrell Owens reclaims his top spot. It's bold, and makes perfect sense. Owens is going to be a fantasy monster again. One magazine I saw went with Chad Johnson of the Bengals. I think these are the only four receivers I can make a strong case for as No. 1 at the position. Harrison, Randy Moss, both Arizona Cardinals, they can come next.
The thing is, the order doesn't matter too much in a draft because we know where these top receivers are going, and you're likely only going to get one of the top four guys. When Smith or one of the others goes early in round two, the other top fellows follow. If I pick 15th, and Smith goes at 14, I'm not going to be real upset to snap up Owens, Holt or Johnson, probably in that order.
Let's check out some mail that has built up:
? Nathan, Seattle: "I've got too many potential keepers in my football keeper league and not enough tangible evidence to keep any of them but LaDainian Tomlinson. I can keep three players, two from the same position. Tomlinson is the only clear choice, but I've also got Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Brian Westbrook, DeShaun Foster, Deuce McAllister and Marc Bulger. Last year I was planning on keeping T.O. and McAllister, but now that Reggie Bush is going to be too expensive not to play some of the time, I'm thinking Westbrook. My one constraint is we get three extra points awarded for rushing or receiving over 100 yards, which Westbrook rarely does. I can't believe what I'm thinking, but perhaps Boldin and T.O. would be the smartest choices. Any thoughts concerns or insults appreciated."
Eric: Well, I have no insults here, and I agree that those two receivers make fine keepers. It's true that running backs rule the roost in fantasy football, but I don't know if I consider your other running backs as terrific keepers. McAllister is coming off a major knee injury and might be a backup. Westbrook is going late first round in some leagues, but I worry about his durability, and believe Ryan Moats will see a lot of playing time. I'd definitely keep Owens, so your choice is down to Westbrook or Boldin. Your call. I'd probably keep Westbrook because I'd be scared of who my second running back might end up being.
? Nick, Bay City, Mich.: "Hey Eric, I was reading ESPN's fantasy football magazine the other day and while looking at the 12-team expert draft you participated in, I realized something. You took Deuce McAllister and Julius Jones over Domanick Davis! Davis wound up falling to the fourth round somehow, and it all started with you passing on him. Explain yourself!"
Eric: Easy answer from me on this one, but it is an important one. That draft occurred a few weeks before the NFL draft, which really needed to be made clear. Draft today, obviously, it all changes. At that time in early April, all indications were that the Texans were going to draft Reggie Bush and thus make Dom Davis a backup. Who knew the Saints would get this beautiful Easter present? So at the time of the draft, it was kind of assumed that Bush would be a Texan, thus reducing the value of Davis and making McAllister a decent No. 2 running back. Of course that didn't happen, so now Davis resumes his status as a possible No. 1 back (late first rounder) and nobody wants McAllister. I mean, do you really think I would have drafted Jimmy Smith in the eighth round if I knew he'd retire a month later? It's ludicrous. People not only in Jacksonville were stunned when the productive Smith, the No. 19 wide receiver from last season, retired in early May. He had a contract. His statements a few weeks earlier were about getting back to Honolulu (Pro Bowl) and the Super Bowl. Who knew he'd step away? Maybe he'll come back, but I don't think we're playing that league out anyway. We drafted five months prior to the season! So enjoy the mag's mock draft, as it can be informative and helpful, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't point out that one important fact about the date!
By the way, we've received a number of e-mails asking what happened to the Tuesday radio show, and here's the answer: The folks at ESPN Radio decided to turn it into a podcast. So if you want questions answered on that podcast, which I hear has been popular on iTunes, please continue to send the questions in. The Sunday morning Fantasy Focus remains alive and well live from 7-9 a.m. ET, and we take phone calls and e-mails during that show, which is on national ESPN Radio. Check your local affiliate. Fantasy owners can also get questions answered twice a week starting next week in the chat room, likely on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m. ET. We talk fantasy for an hour at that time each weekday. Here's the baseball wrap from today and last Friday's football wrap.

Hache Man

Who's No. 1?

posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Fantasy NFL, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander

Welcome to July 19. Yep, not a minute too soon to be blogging about fantasy football again!
Really, there is no offseason at all, as we've been writing about fantasy football since the previous regular season ended. We had rankings, cheat sheets, columns, chats -- in early January. Now you get blogs. (Those who are worried about the loss of fantasy baseball blogs need not worry, I won't cut back on those yet.)
So for this week, let's start out with the most pressing question for fantasy footballers in 2006. There are many, but the big one has to be, who goes first? When you're drafting your teams on ESPN.com you'll see Larry Johnson is No. 1. Same in plenty of the preview magazines. You know what?
I'm going with Shaun Alexander.
It's a matter of opinion and taste, really, and certainly one cannot be faulted -- or go wrong -- with either choice. Sure, Johnson was a fantasy monster last season, after being a relative afterthought on draft day. (You remember that Priest Holmes guy, the one who was drafted in the top five, don'tcha?) Johnson didn't do a whole lot the first eight weeks of the season, as he was ranked No. 24 among running backs. He had his moments, his talent was tantalizing, and fantasy owners knew that if he got his chance, he'd be terrific. Then Holmes went down, and Johnson dominated. That quickly the fantasy season was never the same. You faced the team with Johnson, you were in trouble.
From Week 9 to the end of the season, Johnson accumulated 254 ESPN performance points. For comparison sake, Alexander had 204 in that span, and only five other players even managed half of Johnson's fantasy production those final nine weeks. These guys were clearly the best, and Johnson was even better than Alexander, who ended the season as the top guy. Consider Johnson was marginal from Weeks 2 through 8 and still he caught LaDainian Tomlinson for second overall in fantasy, regardless of position.
I know all this, and still I want Alexander if I get that coveted first pick. I'm not particularly worried about Johnson, who has a new coach, the threat of Holmes returning, whatever excuse you want to come up with. I'm taking him second, ahead of Tomlinson.
But Alexander doesn't concern me either, and while I doubt he puts up the same stats again, I also don't buy into this contract season theory that supposedly fueled his record-breaking 28 touchdowns. He's a great player. He's been a great player for years, consistent and productive no matter the situation. The Seahawks haven't gotten worse. Alexander isn't done yet. The easy way out is to call Alexander and Johnson 1 and 1a. I'm taking a minor stand and saying if I get a first pick, it's going to be Alexander.
Yes, I'm the fellow who generally takes the sure thing over the potential upside, not forgetting about how great it would be to cash in on the next big thing, but seldom overlooking what we do know. We know what Alexander has done, and pretty much what he's capable of doing for a few more years. So what if he's older? So what if Johnson has more upside? Alexander's safe. I've been fortunate to receive the No. 2 pick in a few drafts I've already done, experts leagues, the ones you see on other web sites and magazines, and Johnson's gone first, I've gleefully grabbed Alexander after. Tomlinson always goes third.
We'll check back in a few weeks, now that drafts have begun on our site, and see who you are taking first, but I'm thinking Johnson will be the pick. Again, it makes perfect sense. He's a yardage and scoring machine, and Alexander probably scores 10 fewer times than in 2005. Should make for a good blog. Share your thoughts, I'll run some feedback on this issue soon.
While the debate will continue on who goes first, there is one thing we can all agree on: You don't want to pick fourth! More on that in future blogs, as well as my thoughts on all positions, strategies, trends, injuries, you name it.
Talked about wide receivers on The Hot List on ESPNEWS Tuesday, and when I sat down in the chair, host Steve Bunin asked me why Marvin Harrison wasn't in the discussion. We were, after all, discussing who the top receivers were, and no Colts made the list. Harrison's certainly on my list, but he's not No. 1.
My choice is Steve Smith of the Panthers, which certainly isn't going out on any limb, but why should I? I think statistically he is numero uno, so why tell people Lee Evans is going to break out and be the best. (Of course that could happen, but I doubt it.) Smith was the best receiver last season, and the No. 9 player in fantasy, and I think he can do it again. Doesn't matter when he's double teamed and everyone knows Jake Delhomme is looking his way. He still had 103 receptions and 13 total touchdowns. The addition of Keyshawn Johnson shouldn't affect that too much, in fact, it might make things easier for him.
At the same time, while I see the point on Johnson over Alexander, Carolina's Smith could be as low as four or five on your list of receivers, and I don't see that as a problem either. Rotowire.com's Jeff Erickson, my partner on the ESPNEWS segment Tuesday, went with Torry Holt of the Rams. Sounds fair to me. Kevin Rounce, partner in crime on the Fantasy Focus podcast from Tuesday, thinks Terrell Owens reclaims his top spot. It's bold, and makes perfect sense. Owens is going to be a fantasy monster again. One magazine I saw went with Chad Johnson of the Bengals. I think these are the only four receivers I can make a strong case for as No. 1 at the position. Harrison, Randy Moss, both Arizona Cardinals, they can come next.
The thing is, the order doesn't matter too much in a draft because we know where these top receivers are going, and you're likely only going to get one of the top four guys. When Smith or one of the others goes early in round two, the other top fellows follow. If I pick 15th, and Smith goes at 14, I'm not going to be real upset to snap up Owens, Holt or Johnson, probably in that order.
Let's check out some mail that has built up:
? Nathan, Seattle: "I've got too many potential keepers in my football keeper league and not enough tangible evidence to keep any of them but LaDainian Tomlinson. I can keep three players, two from the same position. Tomlinson is the only clear choice, but I've also got Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Brian Westbrook, DeShaun Foster, Deuce McAllister and Marc Bulger. Last year I was planning on keeping T.O. and McAllister, but now that Reggie Bush is going to be too expensive not to play some of the time, I'm thinking Westbrook. My one constraint is we get three extra points awarded for rushing or receiving over 100 yards, which Westbrook rarely does. I can't believe what I'm thinking, but perhaps Boldin and T.O. would be the smartest choices. Any thoughts concerns or insults appreciated."
Eric: Well, I have no insults here, and I agree that those two receivers make fine keepers. It's true that running backs rule the roost in fantasy football, but I don't know if I consider your other running backs as terrific keepers. McAllister is coming off a major knee injury and might be a backup. Westbrook is going late first round in some leagues, but I worry about his durability, and believe Ryan Moats will see a lot of playing time. I'd definitely keep Owens, so your choice is down to Westbrook or Boldin. Your call. I'd probably keep Westbrook because I'd be scared of who my second running back might end up being.
? Nick, Bay City, Mich.: "Hey Eric, I was reading ESPN's fantasy football magazine the other day and while looking at the 12-team expert draft you participated in, I realized something. You took Deuce McAllister and Julius Jones over Domanick Davis! Davis wound up falling to the fourth round somehow, and it all started with you passing on him. Explain yourself!"
Eric: Easy answer from me on this one, but it is an important one. That draft occurred a few weeks before the NFL draft, which really needed to be made clear. Draft today, obviously, it all changes. At that time in early April, all indications were that the Texans were going to draft Reggie Bush and thus make Dom Davis a backup. Who knew the Saints would get this beautiful Easter present? So at the time of the draft, it was kind of assumed that Bush would be a Texan, thus reducing the value of Davis and making McAllister a decent No. 2 running back. Of course that didn't happen, so now Davis resumes his status as a possible No. 1 back (late first rounder) and nobody wants McAllister. I mean, do you really think I would have drafted Jimmy Smith in the eighth round if I knew he'd retire a month later? It's ludicrous. People not only in Jacksonville were stunned when the productive Smith, the No. 19 wide receiver from last season, retired in early May. He had a contract. His statements a few weeks earlier were about getting back to Honolulu (Pro Bowl) and the Super Bowl. Who knew he'd step away? Maybe he'll come back, but I don't think we're playing that league out anyway. We drafted five months prior to the season! So enjoy the mag's mock draft, as it can be informative and helpful, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't point out that one important fact about the date!
By the way, we've received a number of e-mails asking what happened to the Tuesday radio show, and here's the answer: The folks at ESPN Radio decided to turn it into a podcast. So if you want questions answered on that podcast, which I hear has been popular on iTunes, please continue to send the questions in. The Sunday morning Fantasy Focus remains alive and well live from 7-9 a.m. ET, and we take phone calls and e-mails during that show, which is on national ESPN Radio. Check your local affiliate. Fantasy owners can also get questions answered twice a week starting next week in the chat room, likely on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m. ET. We talk fantasy for an hour at that time each weekday. Here's the baseball wrap from today and last Friday's football wrap.

Hache Man

Jul. 19, 2006, 2:13 PM
FFL: Streaks and Trends

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->
<!-- firstName = tristan --><!-- lastName = Cockcroft -->
By Tristan H. Cockcroft
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Streaks and trends are an important factor in professional sports. Call them virtual "building blocks," if you will, as a player often feeds upon a quality performance, carrying it over into future games even if it was obtained in the friendliest of matchups. Many times, those extended hot spells often help elevate a player from one perceived talent level to another, and when I'm evaluating players each preseason, I find one of the most helpful indicators of whether a player is ready to take the next step is how he finished the previous season.
You'll hear the phrase "second-half player" discussed most often in baseball, but even in football it's something to take into account. Those players who improve or decline significantly in the latter stages of the previous season could be showing signs of a potential breakout or collapse the following year, so here's a look at the most notable trend changes among players in the second half of 2005:
STRONG FINISHERS
Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals: Though Larry Fitzgerald is widely considered the better receiver in Arizona, Boldin is the one who had the better numbers the final seven weeks of 2005. In fact, Boldin was the best fantasy receiver in terms of points during that span, with 104, and that hot spell included five consecutive 100-yard receiving games and no fewer than eight receptions in any of those contests. There's a simple explanation, though: Coming off a two-week absence due to a knee injury, Boldin wasn't attracting quite the defensive attention Fitzgerald earned in his absence. Still, it's not like Fitzgerald's numbers were hurt; he ranked sixth among receivers in fantasy points in Arizona's final seven games, with 83. There might not be a better one-two receiver punch in the NFL than these two, unless you're a big believer in the Cincinnati or Indianapolis duos. Even then, I'd still be more comfortable picking Boldin as my No. 1 fantasy receiver than T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Reggie Wayne, even if Boldin isn't considered the No. 1 man on his own team.
DeShaun Foster, RB, Panthers: A notorious injury risk, Foster did enough down the stretch in 2005 to enter camp this year as the featured back in Carolina. Once Stephen Davis' torrid start cooled, Foster stepped up with 556 rushing yards and three total TDs in the team's final six games. Plus, he averaged 20.2 carries during that span, a healthy total. Injuries will always be a worry for Foster, making rookie DeAngelo Williams a smart insurance policy, but if you're a prospective Williams owner, don't get overzealous with your expectations. Foster's fine finish probably ensures he starts until the next time he gets hurt.
Larry Johnson, RB, Chiefs: He's a top-three fantasy running back, if not No. 1 overall, for 2006, but his prospective owners might not realize how commanding a lead he had over the rest of the field the second half of last season. From Week 9 on, he managed 254 fantasy points, 50 more than anyone else. In other words, he was an even more dominating fantasy force than Priest Holmes was in his prime. Johnson, 27, is clearly now the focal point of the Kansas City offense, especially with the key components of the passing game getting up there in years (Trent Green is 36, Eddie Kennison 33, Tony Gonzalez 30). It's asking a lot of Johnson to maintain the 29.0 carries, 150.1 rushing yards, 30.7 receiving yards and 1.9 total TDs he averaged in his final nine games of 2005, but there's little doubt he's as good a bet as anyone to lead the league in every rushing category.
Carnell Williams, RB, Buccaneers: Many people probably think Cadillac was the kind of rookie who got off to a hot start and then quickly cooled. After all, he set NFL rookie records by rushing for 100-plus yards in his first three games and 434 total during that span. But while he did virtually disappear for more than a month after that, he did bounce back with an extremely encouraging finish. Cadillac managed 662 rushing yards and four scores in his final seven games, including three 100-yard efforts, and that he averaged 22.4 rushing attempts during that span demonstrates how he warmed to the featured back role after a brief Week 5-10 cold spell. There's breakout potential here, and more than enough to warrant taking him at the back end of the first round.
Roy Williams, WR, Lions: In the past, I've taken a look at the history books, which generally debunk the theory that third-year receivers make the best breakout candidates. But Williams is one of those receivers who could indeed fit the bill as a third-year standout, as he's coming off a fine finish to the 2005 season and has now had adequate time to get fully comfortable at the NFL level. While he has been inconsistent catching passes in his first two years, he did manage 33 receptions for 500 yards and seven TDs in his final eight contests, ranking him seventh among fantasy receivers during that span. Plus, now he has a more consistent quarterback throwing to him in Jon Kitna, and offensive guru Mike Martz helping steer Detroit, both of which could pay big dividends.
POOR FINISHERS
Mark Brunell, QB, Redskins: Early in the 2005 season, fantasy owners wondered which was more true: Was it Brunell's resurgence that helped return Santana Moss to form, or was it the other way around? After all, through the first seven weeks of the year, Brunell had averaged 248.7 passing yards with 12 passing TDs, while Moss had 38 catches for 743 yards and five scores. Of course, we quickly found out the answer, as Moss remained a reliable fantasy receiver, while Brunell wound up the No. 21 quarterback in terms of fantasy points from Week 8 forward. He would average 155.8 passing yards and throw for 11 TDs and eight interceptions in 10 games, numbers topped by guys like Gus Frerotte and Chris Simms during that span. Now, no one thinks of Brunell as a top-10 fantasy quarterback, but with a deeper receiver corps in 2006, some owners might look at him as a perfect matchups complement. I'd call him more of a guy you should only use when the matchup is extremely favorable, which generally happens only three or four times per year for a player.
Brett Favre, QB, Packers: How badly did Ahman Green's absence hurt Favre? Consider that in the first six games of the season, before Green was lost for the year due to a torn quadriceps tendon, Favre averaged 261.8 passing yards and passed for 14 TDs and eight interceptions. After that point, he averaged 231.0 passing yards and passed for six TDs and 21 interceptions in 10 games, meaning he was entirely unusable in fantasy leagues. Favre's problem is that after Green got hurt, Green Bay lacked a running game to keep defenses honest, and it didn't help that he lacked one of his best receivers in Javon Walker, either. But the other thing Favre's miserable finish suggests is that he no longer can carry his team on his shoulders like he did in his prime. If Green Bay again can't establish a quality running game, Favre could endure what might be a rocky final season in the NFL.
Steven Jackson, RB, Rams: Let this serve as a word of caution regarding picking Jackson as a big-time breakout candidate for 2006. It's not that I doubt his talent; he's absolutely one of the best young running backs in the game and he's on a team that plans to feature him more this season. But don't overlook the fact that St. Louis was beginning to rely on him more than on its passing game, its longtime staple, the second half of 2005, and in those final eight contests, Jackson managed just 387 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Twenty-four running backs outscored him in fantasy during that span (Week 10 forward), including Michael Bennett, and among those games were a horrible 12-carry, six-yard performance against the Cardinals in Week 11 and an 16-carry, 28-yard effort against the 49ers in Week 16 that looked good on paper simply because he found the end zone. Jackson, 22, should show improvement in 2006, but be careful pushing him too high on your draft sheets. He really doesn't belong among the top 10 picks overall.
Thomas Jones, RB, Bears: It's bad enough that he finished the 2005 season on a bit of a down note statistically, but now talk that rehabbing Cedric Benson will get a chance to unseat him for his job makes Jones quite the risky fantasy pick. From Week 9 forward last year, Jones managed 158 carries for 622 yards and three TDs in eight games, down from 156-713-6 numbers in his first seven contests. In other words, he got off to a surprising start and settled in more as the No. 2 fantasy back at which he profiles better later in the year, and No. 2 backs with questionable job security make shaky early-round selections. Jones could really use a trade to another team in need of a starter to make him a safer pick, but even if that happens, he's someone you shouldn't target before the third round.
Steve Smith, WR, Panthers: Why are so many people so confident in him as the No. 1 overall fantasy receiver? Sure, Jake Delhomme is the kind of quarterback who loves picking one receiving target and throwing to him repeatedly, but now he has two options to pick from with Keyshawn Johnson in town. Plus, while Smith got off to an incredible start to 2005, his finish wasn't quite worthy of No. 1 overall status at his position: He managed 48 receptions for 660 yards and three TDs in his final eight games, down from 55-903-9 in his first eight. Opponents should be more prepared to defend Smith this season, meaning Johnson should steal enough catches to knock Smith down a few notches in the rankings. The bottom line: I wouldn't touch him in the first 18 picks of your draft.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

Jul. 19, 2006, 2:13 PM
FFL: Streaks and Trends

<!-- firstName = tristan --><!-- lastName = Cockcroft -->
By Tristan H. Cockcroft
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Streaks and trends are an important factor in professional sports. Call them virtual "building blocks," if you will, as a player often feeds upon a quality performance, carrying it over into future games even if it was obtained in the friendliest of matchups. Many times, those extended hot spells often help elevate a player from one perceived talent level to another, and when I'm evaluating players each preseason, I find one of the most helpful indicators of whether a player is ready to take the next step is how he finished the previous season.
You'll hear the phrase "second-half player" discussed most often in baseball, but even in football it's something to take into account. Those players who improve or decline significantly in the latter stages of the previous season could be showing signs of a potential breakout or collapse the following year, so here's a look at the most notable trend changes among players in the second half of 2005:
STRONG FINISHERS
Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals: Though Larry Fitzgerald is widely considered the better receiver in Arizona, Boldin is the one who had the better numbers the final seven weeks of 2005. In fact, Boldin was the best fantasy receiver in terms of points during that span, with 104, and that hot spell included five consecutive 100-yard receiving games and no fewer than eight receptions in any of those contests. There's a simple explanation, though: Coming off a two-week absence due to a knee injury, Boldin wasn't attracting quite the defensive attention Fitzgerald earned in his absence. Still, it's not like Fitzgerald's numbers were hurt; he ranked sixth among receivers in fantasy points in Arizona's final seven games, with 83. There might not be a better one-two receiver punch in the NFL than these two, unless you're a big believer in the Cincinnati or Indianapolis duos. Even then, I'd still be more comfortable picking Boldin as my No. 1 fantasy receiver than T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Reggie Wayne, even if Boldin isn't considered the No. 1 man on his own team.
DeShaun Foster, RB, Panthers: A notorious injury risk, Foster did enough down the stretch in 2005 to enter camp this year as the featured back in Carolina. Once Stephen Davis' torrid start cooled, Foster stepped up with 556 rushing yards and three total TDs in the team's final six games. Plus, he averaged 20.2 carries during that span, a healthy total. Injuries will always be a worry for Foster, making rookie DeAngelo Williams a smart insurance policy, but if you're a prospective Williams owner, don't get overzealous with your expectations. Foster's fine finish probably ensures he starts until the next time he gets hurt.
Larry Johnson, RB, Chiefs: He's a top-three fantasy running back, if not No. 1 overall, for 2006, but his prospective owners might not realize how commanding a lead he had over the rest of the field the second half of last season. From Week 9 on, he managed 254 fantasy points, 50 more than anyone else. In other words, he was an even more dominating fantasy force than Priest Holmes was in his prime. Johnson, 27, is clearly now the focal point of the Kansas City offense, especially with the key components of the passing game getting up there in years (Trent Green is 36, Eddie Kennison 33, Tony Gonzalez 30). It's asking a lot of Johnson to maintain the 29.0 carries, 150.1 rushing yards, 30.7 receiving yards and 1.9 total TDs he averaged in his final nine games of 2005, but there's little doubt he's as good a bet as anyone to lead the league in every rushing category.
Carnell Williams, RB, Buccaneers: Many people probably think Cadillac was the kind of rookie who got off to a hot start and then quickly cooled. After all, he set NFL rookie records by rushing for 100-plus yards in his first three games and 434 total during that span. But while he did virtually disappear for more than a month after that, he did bounce back with an extremely encouraging finish. Cadillac managed 662 rushing yards and four scores in his final seven games, including three 100-yard efforts, and that he averaged 22.4 rushing attempts during that span demonstrates how he warmed to the featured back role after a brief Week 5-10 cold spell. There's breakout potential here, and more than enough to warrant taking him at the back end of the first round.
Roy Williams, WR, Lions: In the past, I've taken a look at the history books, which generally debunk the theory that third-year receivers make the best breakout candidates. But Williams is one of those receivers who could indeed fit the bill as a third-year standout, as he's coming off a fine finish to the 2005 season and has now had adequate time to get fully comfortable at the NFL level. While he has been inconsistent catching passes in his first two years, he did manage 33 receptions for 500 yards and seven TDs in his final eight contests, ranking him seventh among fantasy receivers during that span. Plus, now he has a more consistent quarterback throwing to him in Jon Kitna, and offensive guru Mike Martz helping steer Detroit, both of which could pay big dividends.
POOR FINISHERS
Mark Brunell, QB, Redskins: Early in the 2005 season, fantasy owners wondered which was more true: Was it Brunell's resurgence that helped return Santana Moss to form, or was it the other way around? After all, through the first seven weeks of the year, Brunell had averaged 248.7 passing yards with 12 passing TDs, while Moss had 38 catches for 743 yards and five scores. Of course, we quickly found out the answer, as Moss remained a reliable fantasy receiver, while Brunell wound up the No. 21 quarterback in terms of fantasy points from Week 8 forward. He would average 155.8 passing yards and throw for 11 TDs and eight interceptions in 10 games, numbers topped by guys like Gus Frerotte and Chris Simms during that span. Now, no one thinks of Brunell as a top-10 fantasy quarterback, but with a deeper receiver corps in 2006, some owners might look at him as a perfect matchups complement. I'd call him more of a guy you should only use when the matchup is extremely favorable, which generally happens only three or four times per year for a player.
Brett Favre, QB, Packers: How badly did Ahman Green's absence hurt Favre? Consider that in the first six games of the season, before Green was lost for the year due to a torn quadriceps tendon, Favre averaged 261.8 passing yards and passed for 14 TDs and eight interceptions. After that point, he averaged 231.0 passing yards and passed for six TDs and 21 interceptions in 10 games, meaning he was entirely unusable in fantasy leagues. Favre's problem is that after Green got hurt, Green Bay lacked a running game to keep defenses honest, and it didn't help that he lacked one of his best receivers in Javon Walker, either. But the other thing Favre's miserable finish suggests is that he no longer can carry his team on his shoulders like he did in his prime. If Green Bay again can't establish a quality running game, Favre could endure what might be a rocky final season in the NFL.
Steven Jackson, RB, Rams: Let this serve as a word of caution regarding picking Jackson as a big-time breakout candidate for 2006. It's not that I doubt his talent; he's absolutely one of the best young running backs in the game and he's on a team that plans to feature him more this season. But don't overlook the fact that St. Louis was beginning to rely on him more than on its passing game, its longtime staple, the second half of 2005, and in those final eight contests, Jackson managed just 387 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Twenty-four running backs outscored him in fantasy during that span (Week 10 forward), including Michael Bennett, and among those games were a horrible 12-carry, six-yard performance against the Cardinals in Week 11 and an 16-carry, 28-yard effort against the 49ers in Week 16 that looked good on paper simply because he found the end zone. Jackson, 22, should show improvement in 2006, but be careful pushing him too high on your draft sheets. He really doesn't belong among the top 10 picks overall.
Thomas Jones, RB, Bears: It's bad enough that he finished the 2005 season on a bit of a down note statistically, but now talk that rehabbing Cedric Benson will get a chance to unseat him for his job makes Jones quite the risky fantasy pick. From Week 9 forward last year, Jones managed 158 carries for 622 yards and three TDs in eight games, down from 156-713-6 numbers in his first seven contests. In other words, he got off to a surprising start and settled in more as the No. 2 fantasy back at which he profiles better later in the year, and No. 2 backs with questionable job security make shaky early-round selections. Jones could really use a trade to another team in need of a starter to make him a safer pick, but even if that happens, he's someone you shouldn't target before the third round.
Steve Smith, WR, Panthers: Why are so many people so confident in him as the No. 1 overall fantasy receiver? Sure, Jake Delhomme is the kind of quarterback who loves picking one receiving target and throwing to him repeatedly, but now he has two options to pick from with Keyshawn Johnson in town. Plus, while Smith got off to an incredible start to 2005, his finish wasn't quite worthy of No. 1 overall status at his position: He managed 48 receptions for 660 yards and three TDs in his final eight games, down from 55-903-9 in his first eight. Opponents should be more prepared to defend Smith this season, meaning Johnson should steal enough catches to knock Smith down a few notches in the rankings. The bottom line: I wouldn't touch him in the first 18 picks of your draft.

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Hache Man said:

Yeah I'll deffinately be around...I need people to help me decide who to start and stuff:+thumbs-2

That artical you posted was interesting..who's your no. 1 WR?
Mines TO

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Hache Man said:

Yeah I'll deffinately be around...I need people to help me decide who to start and stuff:+thumbs-2

Mines TO

Hache Man

EagleFan5 said:

Mines TO

TO would have to be mine as well Eagle

As we discussed earlier, I'm not touching Chad Johnson or any Bengal players with Carson Palmer's health up in the air, and even though I think Aaron Brooks and Randy Moss are going to surprise people, it's still risky.....

Hache Man

EagleFan5 said:

Mines TO

TO would have to be mine as well Eagle

As we discussed earlier, I'm not touching Chad Johnson or any Bengal players with Carson Palmer's health up in the air, and even though I think Aaron Brooks and Randy Moss are going to surprise people, it's still risky.....

Hache Man

Being a Tampa Bay fan Eagle, you would think I would know the answer to that question. We're just going to have to wait and see I supposed.

Even though some people scoff, I personally believe Simms has one of the best young arms in the game and already throws one of the best deep balls as well.

If he has time, just like most QB's, look for he and Joey Galloway to repeat last year.....

Hache Man

Being a Tampa Bay fan Eagle, you would think I would know the answer to that question. We're just going to have to wait and see I supposed.

Even though some people scoff, I personally believe Simms has one of the best young arms in the game and already throws one of the best deep balls as well.

If he has time, just like most QB's, look for he and Joey Galloway to repeat last year.....

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
yeah...i think that the success of cadilac lies on simms shoulders.....oh and by the way...I'm obviously and Eagles fan...haha so yeah i'm pretty much only excited about fantasy this year

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
yeah...i think that the success of cadilac lies on simms shoulders.....oh and by the way...I'm obviously and Eagles fan...haha so yeah i'm pretty much only excited about fantasy this year

Hache Man

You never know Eagle, your team could surprise.

If McNabb and Brian Westbrook can stay healthy, maybe the rest of the offense will come together as the year goes along......

Hache Man

You never know Eagle, your team could surprise.

If McNabb and Brian Westbrook can stay healthy, maybe the rest of the offense will come together as the year goes along......

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
thats what im praying for....i don't think the chances of mcnabb and westbrook stying healthy are very good though....your right though, you never do know in the NFL

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
thats what im praying for....i don't think the chances of mcnabb and westbrook stying healthy are very good though....your right though, you never do know in the NFL

Hache Man

Jul. 20, 2006, 2:35 PM
FFL: Round-by-Round Strategies

<!-- firstName = Scott --><!-- lastName = Engel -->
By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
While many fantasy owners focus heavily on their first draft pick, building a successful team requires a broad focus. You must be ready for anything at any time, and adjusting on the run is a must. You never know for sure which players might be available or unavailable at any point of the draft, so it's smart to plan ahead for the entire process. Never believe what the other owners tell you ahead of time about their strategies, because they might be trying to keep you off balance, and their own strategies and approaches will change throughout the draft. The "snake" draft is a great ride, but you should know all its twists and turns before you strap yourself in. So here's an in-depth look at what you should expect and prepare for from start to finish in a yearly fantasy draft.
Round One
If you're lucky enough to have one of the top three picks, you know you will have a shot at one of the elite three running backs. Anyone who picks in the top eight is pretty much assured of getting an established top-level back if they want one. Grabbing Clinton Portis or Rudi Johnson is a safer than going for upside with Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown. If you pick in the top six or eight, take the best RB available, because they are likely going to fly off the board. Once the "upside" RBs are gone, then you can consider Peyton Manning late in the round, because he's the only quarterback who seems to guarantee both above-average statistical production and durability every year. If you're picking at the end of the first round in a 10 or 12-team league, you will likely be looking at promising players like Carnell Williams or a possible injury risk like Domanick Davis. The first round likely will be a heavy run on running backs with Manning being the only possible exception. If another owner changes course and tabs a top WR, that can only improve the quality of RB that can fall to you in the first round-and-a-half. Follow the run on RBs, because you really won't have any other choice. Questions about many of the top RBs this year will make them disappear seemingly faster than usual.
Round Two
If you're picking early in the round, resist the temptation to grab an elite WR when you'll have a shot at the best No. 2 RBs available. There is a good, deep pool of WRs available this year, and you can still land a very good one in the third round. If you can nab a Willis McGahee or Reggie Bush, you'll feel good about your RB duo instead of taking a possible part-timer like Willie Parker or Tatum Bell or an even bigger question mark like Ahman Green in the third round. Sure, guys like McGahee and Bush do come with question marks, but the longer you wait, the less confidence you'll have in your No. 2 RB. Sure, it's tempting to take a Steve Smith or Terrell Owens, but if you do, you might regret it as more RBs disappear quickly before you get to your next pick. And one or two owners could draft three RBs with his/her first three picks because of the shaky field outside the top 10 or so, further depleting the pool of available players. So follow the RB rush if you pick in the first half of the second round. If you pick late in the round, it makes more sense to go for a Smith or Owens, as the RB you'll target late in the second round still could be available early in the third round. There isn't much difference between the RB you can get late in the second round as compared to early in the third round. Round Two likely will be dominated by more RB picks and a few top WRs going off the board.
Round Three
If you grabbed that superstar WR late in Round Two, you simply must take the best RB available on the board. You don't want to wait until the fourth round, when you might have to bank on Warrick Dunn or DeShaun Foster, especially in a larger league or one that uses a flex position. You simply must come out of the first three rounds with two RBs. If you selected RBs with your first two picks, you'll be happy to find out that very good WRs such as Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward still might be available. If you're really unsure about your second RB, you could also grab a third one here. If you're the guy who took Manning in the first round, you should be making the second of your two starting RB selections here, and it will be a good move to start building RB depth at the position as soon as the fifth round, since you might not be comfortable with both of your starters.
Round Four
If you didn't take two RBs in the first three rounds, you'll be left to grab the best of what's left at the position, which won't thrill you. You might have to go with Jamal Lewis or Ahman Green (if they are still available) , and you'll likely want to take an "upside' RB a round or two later for further depth. If you already have two RBs and at least one WR by this point, this could be become a very fun round. You could take another outstanding WR to fill the second starting spot at the position. Or you could take one of the top QBs available, such as Tom Brady or Carson Palmer. Or it could seem like the right time to take TE Antonio Gates if he is available, as he should be the best player at a very weak position. If your league uses a "flex" player, you could grab another RB here. The type of RBs available by this point would make better flex players than second RBs. This round is proof that if you follow the RB run early, you'll have some nice flexibility here.
Round Five
There are a few different directions you can go here. If you're still not satisfied with your starting RBs, now is the time to take a chance on promising picks like DeAngelo Williams or LenDale White. If you regard such young backs highly, you might be moved to grab them for the upside. Such RBs won't likely last past the sixth round in 10 and 12-team leagues. If you still need a "flex" player, this would be an ideal time. For those owners who need a second starting WR, you shouldn't wait past this point. If you already have two good RBs and two good WRs, you could go the TE or QB route, since there likely will be some top picks still available at the position. Jeremy Shockey or Donovan McNabb would be very good picks here. It would be no shock to see Brady or Palmer slip this far, where either one would be terrific selections.
Round Six
If you haven't tabbed a starting QB by this point, you really shouldn't wait too much longer. You can still grab a top 10 passer like Eli Manning or Drew Bledsoe. With the aforementioned and obvious questions at RB, now is the time to start picking some of the remaining sleepers or possibly serviceable veterans off the board. You still might see players like T.J. Duckett, Samkon Gado or Curtis Martin available, and by the sixth round, those are still smart picks for depth. If you already have more than two RBs on your roster by this round, concentrate on filling out the key parts of your starting lineup other than kickers and defense/special teams. If your league requires more than two starting receivers, get one here, or you could opt for one of the better TEs still available.
Round Seven
I believe this is the absolute longest you should wait to get a decent starting QB, as very promising or stable guys like Daunte Culpepper, Jake Delhomme and Trent Green could all fall to this round. A few scraps could be lingering around for RB depth, as you still might be able to land a Kevan Barlow or a "handcuff" player like Greg Jones. Some of the top 10 or 12 tight ends will be on the board, and you can begin to take chances on receivers like Nate Burleson or Reggie Brown. By this point, you should be focusing on filling out your starters, grabbing top backups and plucking any of your remaining high-ranking sleepers off the board.
Round Eight
Right around this point, it's going to happen if it already didn't. Someone will be the first to take the Bears defense/special teams or Adam Vinatieri. Don't be that guy, and continue to build depth. If there are any RBs still left that remotely interest you, take the shot. If you waited until the seventh round to take a starting QB, and he's not your ideal pick, take a good alternative here for peace of mind or the possibility that you could rotate the two based on matchups. Or simply build your receiving depth. If you haven't taken a starting TE by this point, now would be a good time. You're not going to get much of a starter in Round 11.
Round Nine
Defenses and kickers don't win fantasy championships. They supplement the performances of your stars, and outside of a few, their performances can vary from year to year. So this is a round in which you should continue to build depth. There should still be some pretty good WR selections available by this point, and players such as Keyshawn Johnson and Eric Moulds will make solid reserves. This is also a good time to look for a reserve QB. You'd rather have a guy like Byron Leftwich or Billy Volek as a backup than to wait a few rounds later and hope that David Carr can stay upright or Philip Rivers can post decent numbers. A few scattered RBs might available for further depth or upside, and you can never overlook those.
Round 10
This is probably the latest you should wait for a backup QB in larger leagues, give or take one more round. Depending on the size of your league's starting lineup, adding another decent wide receiver would be a good idea. During the rounds starting here, resist the urge to grab a backup tight end unless a very promising one slips this far. You'll likely only use your backup tight end once during the schedule, and anyone you might grab off the free agent list early in the season could be as good as any TE you draft late. Continue to nab as many skill position players as you can, and pick off any sleepers that still might be on the board. Cedric Cobbs, anyone?
Rounds 11 and 12
You can start to consider defenses here, but only if some of the top units are still available. Otherwise, you can wait until the end of the draft. Some owners might still need some backup QBs here, and you'll simply be looking for a decent guy who should start regularly. Jon Kitna is by no means an embarrassing pick in the 12th round. By this point, it's becoming all hits and misses with sleepers and experienced players for depth. If you've done your homework, this is when you take that flier on Verron Haynes or Mark Bradley.
Round 13 and beyond Your defense/special teams should be one of your final picks, and if you study, you'll land units like the Bengals or Dolphins here, which could prove to be prolific in turnovers or sturdy overall in 2006. Unless your league actually requires you draft backup tight ends, kickers and defenses, don't waste picks on them when you can load up on as many skill position players as possible until this point. Any reserve unit or kicker you might draft now could be for one-week use only, and why spend a draft pick on that? But if your league does require backups at those positions, you should have your starters locked in by Round 13 and spend the final three or so rounds on the backups. If you're already set at all the positions and have room for one more sleeper, go for it. Maybe you'll be the proud owner of Pittsburgh rookie RB Cedric Humes.

Hache Man

Jul. 20, 2006, 2:35 PM
FFL: Round-by-Round Strategies

<!-- firstName = Scott --><!-- lastName = Engel -->
By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
While many fantasy owners focus heavily on their first draft pick, building a successful team requires a broad focus. You must be ready for anything at any time, and adjusting on the run is a must. You never know for sure which players might be available or unavailable at any point of the draft, so it's smart to plan ahead for the entire process. Never believe what the other owners tell you ahead of time about their strategies, because they might be trying to keep you off balance, and their own strategies and approaches will change throughout the draft. The "snake" draft is a great ride, but you should know all its twists and turns before you strap yourself in. So here's an in-depth look at what you should expect and prepare for from start to finish in a yearly fantasy draft.
Round One
If you're lucky enough to have one of the top three picks, you know you will have a shot at one of the elite three running backs. Anyone who picks in the top eight is pretty much assured of getting an established top-level back if they want one. Grabbing Clinton Portis or Rudi Johnson is a safer than going for upside with Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown. If you pick in the top six or eight, take the best RB available, because they are likely going to fly off the board. Once the "upside" RBs are gone, then you can consider Peyton Manning late in the round, because he's the only quarterback who seems to guarantee both above-average statistical production and durability every year. If you're picking at the end of the first round in a 10 or 12-team league, you will likely be looking at promising players like Carnell Williams or a possible injury risk like Domanick Davis. The first round likely will be a heavy run on running backs with Manning being the only possible exception. If another owner changes course and tabs a top WR, that can only improve the quality of RB that can fall to you in the first round-and-a-half. Follow the run on RBs, because you really won't have any other choice. Questions about many of the top RBs this year will make them disappear seemingly faster than usual.
Round Two
If you're picking early in the round, resist the temptation to grab an elite WR when you'll have a shot at the best No. 2 RBs available. There is a good, deep pool of WRs available this year, and you can still land a very good one in the third round. If you can nab a Willis McGahee or Reggie Bush, you'll feel good about your RB duo instead of taking a possible part-timer like Willie Parker or Tatum Bell or an even bigger question mark like Ahman Green in the third round. Sure, guys like McGahee and Bush do come with question marks, but the longer you wait, the less confidence you'll have in your No. 2 RB. Sure, it's tempting to take a Steve Smith or Terrell Owens, but if you do, you might regret it as more RBs disappear quickly before you get to your next pick. And one or two owners could draft three RBs with his/her first three picks because of the shaky field outside the top 10 or so, further depleting the pool of available players. So follow the RB rush if you pick in the first half of the second round. If you pick late in the round, it makes more sense to go for a Smith or Owens, as the RB you'll target late in the second round still could be available early in the third round. There isn't much difference between the RB you can get late in the second round as compared to early in the third round. Round Two likely will be dominated by more RB picks and a few top WRs going off the board.
Round Three
If you grabbed that superstar WR late in Round Two, you simply must take the best RB available on the board. You don't want to wait until the fourth round, when you might have to bank on Warrick Dunn or DeShaun Foster, especially in a larger league or one that uses a flex position. You simply must come out of the first three rounds with two RBs. If you selected RBs with your first two picks, you'll be happy to find out that very good WRs such as Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward still might be available. If you're really unsure about your second RB, you could also grab a third one here. If you're the guy who took Manning in the first round, you should be making the second of your two starting RB selections here, and it will be a good move to start building RB depth at the position as soon as the fifth round, since you might not be comfortable with both of your starters.
Round Four
If you didn't take two RBs in the first three rounds, you'll be left to grab the best of what's left at the position, which won't thrill you. You might have to go with Jamal Lewis or Ahman Green (if they are still available) , and you'll likely want to take an "upside' RB a round or two later for further depth. If you already have two RBs and at least one WR by this point, this could be become a very fun round. You could take another outstanding WR to fill the second starting spot at the position. Or you could take one of the top QBs available, such as Tom Brady or Carson Palmer. Or it could seem like the right time to take TE Antonio Gates if he is available, as he should be the best player at a very weak position. If your league uses a "flex" player, you could grab another RB here. The type of RBs available by this point would make better flex players than second RBs. This round is proof that if you follow the RB run early, you'll have some nice flexibility here.
Round Five
There are a few different directions you can go here. If you're still not satisfied with your starting RBs, now is the time to take a chance on promising picks like DeAngelo Williams or LenDale White. If you regard such young backs highly, you might be moved to grab them for the upside. Such RBs won't likely last past the sixth round in 10 and 12-team leagues. If you still need a "flex" player, this would be an ideal time. For those owners who need a second starting WR, you shouldn't wait past this point. If you already have two good RBs and two good WRs, you could go the TE or QB route, since there likely will be some top picks still available at the position. Jeremy Shockey or Donovan McNabb would be very good picks here. It would be no shock to see Brady or Palmer slip this far, where either one would be terrific selections.
Round Six
If you haven't tabbed a starting QB by this point, you really shouldn't wait too much longer. You can still grab a top 10 passer like Eli Manning or Drew Bledsoe. With the aforementioned and obvious questions at RB, now is the time to start picking some of the remaining sleepers or possibly serviceable veterans off the board. You still might see players like T.J. Duckett, Samkon Gado or Curtis Martin available, and by the sixth round, those are still smart picks for depth. If you already have more than two RBs on your roster by this round, concentrate on filling out the key parts of your starting lineup other than kickers and defense/special teams. If your league requires more than two starting receivers, get one here, or you could opt for one of the better TEs still available.
Round Seven
I believe this is the absolute longest you should wait to get a decent starting QB, as very promising or stable guys like Daunte Culpepper, Jake Delhomme and Trent Green could all fall to this round. A few scraps could be lingering around for RB depth, as you still might be able to land a Kevan Barlow or a "handcuff" player like Greg Jones. Some of the top 10 or 12 tight ends will be on the board, and you can begin to take chances on receivers like Nate Burleson or Reggie Brown. By this point, you should be focusing on filling out your starters, grabbing top backups and plucking any of your remaining high-ranking sleepers off the board.
Round Eight
Right around this point, it's going to happen if it already didn't. Someone will be the first to take the Bears defense/special teams or Adam Vinatieri. Don't be that guy, and continue to build depth. If there are any RBs still left that remotely interest you, take the shot. If you waited until the seventh round to take a starting QB, and he's not your ideal pick, take a good alternative here for peace of mind or the possibility that you could rotate the two based on matchups. Or simply build your receiving depth. If you haven't taken a starting TE by this point, now would be a good time. You're not going to get much of a starter in Round 11.
Round Nine
Defenses and kickers don't win fantasy championships. They supplement the performances of your stars, and outside of a few, their performances can vary from year to year. So this is a round in which you should continue to build depth. There should still be some pretty good WR selections available by this point, and players such as Keyshawn Johnson and Eric Moulds will make solid reserves. This is also a good time to look for a reserve QB. You'd rather have a guy like Byron Leftwich or Billy Volek as a backup than to wait a few rounds later and hope that David Carr can stay upright or Philip Rivers can post decent numbers. A few scattered RBs might available for further depth or upside, and you can never overlook those.
Round 10
This is probably the latest you should wait for a backup QB in larger leagues, give or take one more round. Depending on the size of your league's starting lineup, adding another decent wide receiver would be a good idea. During the rounds starting here, resist the urge to grab a backup tight end unless a very promising one slips this far. You'll likely only use your backup tight end once during the schedule, and anyone you might grab off the free agent list early in the season could be as good as any TE you draft late. Continue to nab as many skill position players as you can, and pick off any sleepers that still might be on the board. Cedric Cobbs, anyone?
Rounds 11 and 12
You can start to consider defenses here, but only if some of the top units are still available. Otherwise, you can wait until the end of the draft. Some owners might still need some backup QBs here, and you'll simply be looking for a decent guy who should start regularly. Jon Kitna is by no means an embarrassing pick in the 12th round. By this point, it's becoming all hits and misses with sleepers and experienced players for depth. If you've done your homework, this is when you take that flier on Verron Haynes or Mark Bradley.
Round 13 and beyond Your defense/special teams should be one of your final picks, and if you study, you'll land units like the Bengals or Dolphins here, which could prove to be prolific in turnovers or sturdy overall in 2006. Unless your league actually requires you draft backup tight ends, kickers and defenses, don't waste picks on them when you can load up on as many skill position players as possible until this point. Any reserve unit or kicker you might draft now could be for one-week use only, and why spend a draft pick on that? But if your league does require backups at those positions, you should have your starters locked in by Round 13 and spend the final three or so rounds on the backups. If you're already set at all the positions and have room for one more sleeper, go for it. Maybe you'll be the proud owner of Pittsburgh rookie RB Cedric Humes.

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
hey i just wanted to let everyone know that sports illustrated is coming out with a magazine just for fantasy football...the first one comes out aug 21

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
hey i just wanted to let everyone know that sports illustrated is coming out with a magazine just for fantasy football...the first one comes out aug 21

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Ok so listen to this..i bought the new sports illustrated fantasy magazine (the one with reggie bush on the cover)...and the only advice i can give you is not to waste your money on it...i don't know who their "experts" are...but they had absolutely ridiculous lists...for example....in the rb list they have reggie bush ranked at 16 (he'll be sharing time so no way), Corey Dillion at 18, and Jamal Lewis at 19 while Julius Jones and Dominick Davis somehow fall to 23 and 26!!Not only is this supposed to be a breakout year for jones and davis, but this is supposed to be a slump year for dillon and lewis...in WR they have Terry Glenn ahead of Plaxico Burress and Joey Galloway(what???)....and i don't even want to tell you about the Qb's...ok for starters they have Tom Brady an No. 1 over Peyton Manning!!!...They have Kurt Warner in front of Drew Bledsoe, Daunte Culpepper and Jake Delhomme... they have David Carr ahead of Donovan McNabb...they have Phillips Rivers ahead of Steve McNair and Chris Simms...oh and my personal favorite...drum roll please....Charlie Frye in front of Aaron Brooks...can someone please write back and tell me im wrong because i really don't get this...i mean they're Sports Illustrated..don't you think they should have FFL experts covering this stuff..cuz if they don't i'd gladly take the job

EagleFan5

EOG Addicted
Ok so listen to this..i bought the new sports illustrated fantasy magazine (the one with reggie bush on the cover)...and the only advice i can give you is not to waste your money on it...i don't know who their "experts" are...but they had absolutely ridiculous lists...for example....in the rb list they have reggie bush ranked at 16 (he'll be sharing time so no way), Corey Dillion at 18, and Jamal Lewis at 19 while Julius Jones and Dominick Davis somehow fall to 23 and 26!!Not only is this supposed to be a breakout year for jones and davis, but this is supposed to be a slump year for dillon and lewis...in WR they have Terry Glenn ahead of Plaxico Burress and Joey Galloway(what???)....and i don't even want to tell you about the Qb's...ok for starters they have Tom Brady an No. 1 over Peyton Manning!!!...They have Kurt Warner in front of Drew Bledsoe, Daunte Culpepper and Jake Delhomme... they have David Carr ahead of Donovan McNabb...they have Phillips Rivers ahead of Steve McNair and Chris Simms...oh and my personal favorite...drum roll please....Charlie Frye in front of Aaron Brooks...can someone please write back and tell me im wrong because i really don't get this...i mean they're Sports Illustrated..don't you think they should have FFL experts covering this stuff..cuz if they don't i'd gladly take the job

Hache Man

I don't really waste my time with any Fantasy magazines anymore Eagle for the reasons you posted above and that many or most of us know more than those who put out the magazines, & you can find just as much info on the internet.

About Reggie Bush.....

I've also seen him ranked up there, and the many have been reaching and taking im around those exact positions.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous.

As I talked about in another post somewhere in this thread, not only is Deuce McAllister going to start, but Bush will also be sharing time with Michael Bennett (if he stays) and Aaron Stecker. No way I touch any of those RB's until later on..

Hache Man

I don't really waste my time with any Fantasy magazines anymore Eagle for the reasons you posted above and that many or most of us know more than those who put out the magazines, & you can find just as much info on the internet.

About Reggie Bush.....

I've also seen him ranked up there, and the many have been reaching and taking im around those exact positions.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous.

As I talked about in another post somewhere in this thread, not only is Deuce McAllister going to start, but Bush will also be sharing time with Michael Bennett (if he stays) and Aaron Stecker. No way I touch any of those RB's until later on..