How far do our kids have to go to be great ball players?

I have an 11 yr old and a 5 yr old and they both play baseball. I know they love to play baseball and I am so happy they do. I love the game myself and I do not expect either of them to become the nest Chipper Jones or anything like that unless they want too. My question is this....How far do our kids really need to go to be great ball players now a day? I mean I know parents that breath, eat, sleep their kids playing ball. Does that really make them better then the rest. I mean a kid can play 24/7 but if he has no nature talent how far is he going to go?

I just think that so many parents are pushing their kids to be pros they have taken the fun out of the game for the kids. Also is this where they learn that performance enhancing drugs are a must?

Just some thoughts?

5 star bomb

EOG Master
Re: How far do our kids have to go to be great ball players?

bc i would have gotten a full ride somewhere or been drafted

Yeah ok but if the roids messed you up other ways what good would that do?

I guess that is one way to look at it. I guess I am just looking at it from a different point of view, MOM!

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I guess that is one way to look at it. I guess I am just looking at it from a different point of view, MOM!

Yea... I hear ya. I just dont know how bad roids/hgh really are you know? I mean many people way more qualified on this subject than me and you believe that hgh/steroids taken in small and normal doses is actually very good for you??? So who knows... Is that you in your avatar by the way?

I do run and workout just about every day so I have seen people on Roids and it is not the best thing that I can tell. I have never taken them and don't really understand it at all. Hence the question.

Yes that is me in my avatar.

1. In the next 20 years steroids will become very rare in college and professional sports. Why? Do you think it's because the leagues want it? NO, because the fans want true games and eventually it will come back or all clubs will lose $.

2. I coach a travel 12U team and I can tell you parents do think their kids are MLB ready. It's a joke. I had a parent meeting 3 weeks ago and informed them that there children including mine are not ready for the pro baseball. You should have seen the look on some faces, it was like I just told them they had cancer. I also said that doesn't mean some day they can't, but the numbers say no. Desire and hard work are the only way to over come the numbers.

3. If they really want to play pro baseball at their age and who didn't at 5 and 11, encourage their dream don't squash it regardless of their size. That could change dramatically between now and when they are fully developed. That is why most good hitters as well as pitchers aren't consistent until 25 or so when they are fully developed. Also size doesn't automatically eliminate them. David Eckstein, and so on.

4. Encourage them to try other sports and hobbies. It is important in my opinion not to limit them to one sport until late high school matbe early college. Most teams scout and draft athletes anyhow. Maybe they will find other interests more important as the get older and are exposed to them.

I could go on and on, but for now just some opinion.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Totally agree about playing multiple sports Da Man.... all of the scouts, and such that I have talked to when I was playing love the fact when a athlete is involved in multiple sports

AS FOR THE BASEBALL QUESTION, MY BOY IS 8.... HE CURRENTLY PLAYS BASEBALL ON 5 DIFFERENT BASEBALL TEAMS AND ALSO TAKES PRIVATE LESSONS AT A BASEBALL SCHOOL!

WE LIVE IN PA, SO WE CANT PLAY ALL YEAR ROUND! WHICH IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE THAT PLAYERS IN OTHER STATES HAVE!

IN THIS YEARS DRAFT..THERE WERE LIKE 280+ PLAYERS DRAFTED FROM CAL, LIKE 200 FROM TEXAS AND FLORIDA...THERE WERE ONLY 29 PLAYERS DRAFTED FROM PA.

I can see exactly what you guys are talking about. My oldest does play basketball also. He is not really into football at all, which is strange cause I love football. I always tell them how proud of them I am and so happy they are out playing instead of sitting at home just playing video games.

I am realistic and I know my kids will probably never play pro but that does not stop me from helping them anyway I know how but not pushing them to the point they hate it.