how do you handicap a game?

Re: how do you handicap a game?

I'm more of a basic match up guy. I do look over some recent trends, but mostly use some match ups on a daily basis.

how do you handicap a game?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You have a quarter and a thumb?

SSI

EOG Dedicated

they all start as plays, then plays are eliminated, thus finding reasons not to play games, instead of reasons to play games.. leaving only (1-3) per day.

RPM

EOG Veteran

ssi,

interesting idea. can't say i've ever heard of anyone looking at it quite like that, but to some extent, i guess we all do.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

RPM, pull up the board, showing all games for the day...

consider everything a play at first (sides and totals)..

then start to quickly eliminate plays (one by one)...

i dont play any totals (Over 10.5) or (Under 8), so totals posted at (11) or (7.5) are quickly eliminated...

perfect example... look at (TB/Angel) game today...

LAA(-1.10) and (7)...

cant play Over, with Kazmir and Lackey going, cant play Under the 7.... do not like going against Lackey or Kazmir, so the game was quickly canceled.

remember only looking for (1-3) per day...

first selection today was

Toronto Under 8 (i did catch the Under 8).... nothing about this game, said anything but Under.... and as it turned out, the Under was a good choice...

gotta run, nice thread..

Log into Bet Jamaica and go to the lines for a particular sport, slide back in my chair some to avoid a ricochet and throw a few darts at the computer screen

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

My life is spent researching games before I wager.

Line moves are never part of my handicap although I will try to figure out which way it may move and if I am planning to wager on that game make my wagers accordingly.

For bases I look at:

pitching matchups.
bullpens, especially recent success or failure.
umpires.
weather.
ballparks.
recent success of hitters, or failures.
recent success or failure of the team.
travel.
local information (local newspapers).
my gut.

I'm sure I am missing something.

RPM

EOG Veteran

tim,

when you say pitching matchups, do you mean pitcher vs. batters or pitcher vs. opposing pitcher?

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

RPM,
It's the whole picture when I say pitching matchups.
VS team, pitcher, ballpark, recent trends (meaning is this guy pitching well or not, recently). Also, if I know the umpire well enough, that too.
A junk ball or curveball sinker, slider guy well do much better with an umpire who has a wider strike zone. A power pitcher usually isn't affected as much unless the umpires strike zone is the size of a tin can.

Anyway, there are many factors I haven't mentioned.
Just about the only thing I don't do is follow line movement and bet accordingly. That is not my style.

RPM

EOG Veteran

tim,

does that include past stats pitchers have specifically with the batters he'll be facing?